Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Haier posted:

But how can I compete?

My man just slayin it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
There are a lot of amazing stuff, big house, good public transportation, a lot of money, goods delivered to your front door, delicious food. I will give up the “Freedom of speech” in exchange for any of those. And most Chinese agree with me. They really don’t care and don’t understand why westerners make it such a big deal.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

nickmeister posted:

There are a lot of amazing stuff, big house, good public transportation, a lot of money, goods delivered to your front door, delicious food. I will give up the “Freedom of speech” in exchange for any of those. And most Chinese agree with me. They really don’t care and don’t understand why westerners make it such a big deal.

You could also get this in sweden, but with the added bonus of not being disappeared and having your organs harvested.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Yeah but you'd have to socially well adjusted and able to speak English.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
poo poo, you can get those in tons of places. It's not like China is the only place with that combination.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LingcodKilla posted:

Gotta give that second bus driver some credit. My first thought would not be better stop because a hole is gonna appear.

Go faster to really make the bus jump!

He's a top 1% bus driver as far as China goes, that's for sure. Normally he would have gone right into the hole, then two mopeds, a guy with a donkey cart, a sedan, another bus, a flatbed truck, and eventually a small white van would come to a stop in front of it before backing up and going around, then another moped in,

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Boiled Water posted:

You could also get this in sweden, but with the added bonus of not being disappeared and having your organs harvested.

0 KTV hookers in Sweden pal

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

nickmeister posted:

Where did big house come from? Even the stupidly rich people I've met here just live in little apartments, I haven't seen an actual house inside of a city.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Where did big house come from? Even the stupidly rich people I've met here just live in little apartments, I haven't seen an actual house inside of a city.

I only ever saw a few McMansions on the outskirts of Beijing and a few other cities. All of the rich people apartments I have been in were 3-5 bedroom affairs that were not that different from middle-class apartments, just decorated like a Saudi prince's private jet. It's funny to roll up to a decrepit looking apartment building, go up a few flights of filthy/crumbling stairs, then walk into a gaudy looking nouveau riche pad with granite and marble everywhere and tons of expensive (but poorly made) furniture and fixtures.

The best comparison I can think of is that rich Chinese apartments look like 1980's Vegas suites.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Pirate Radar posted:

poo poo, you can get those in tons of places. It's not like China is the only place with that combination.

Nonsense! China is totally unique and the seat of human culture. Everywhere else they only eat burgers and pizza (bad for healthy). Give me hot water with three small bits of meat floating in it and you can KEEP your "free speech!"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

I only ever saw a few McMansions on the outskirts of Beijing and a few other cities. All of the rich people apartments I have been in were 3-5 bedroom affairs that were not that different from middle-class apartments, just decorated like a Saudi prince's private jet. It's funny to roll up to a decrepit looking apartment building, go up a few flights of filthy/crumbling stairs, then walk into a gaudy looking nouveau riche pad with granite and marble everywhere and tons of expensive (but poorly made) furniture and fixtures.

The best comparison I can think of is that rich Chinese apartments look like 1980's Vegas suites.

They look like Donald Trump had an Asian thing.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I've met some Hong Kongers who insist that English is their native language along side Cantonese, even so it seems like most Hong Kongers don't speak English or just barely. I get that Hong Kong used to be a British colony, but what's up with this claim? Is it just a status thing with English or what?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

nickmeister posted:

I've met some Hong Kongers who insist that English is their native language along side Cantonese, even so it seems like most Hong Kongers don't speak English or just barely. I get that Hong Kong used to be a British colony, but what's up with this claim? Is it just a status thing with English or what?

English is still an official language.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nickmeister posted:

Some people are a little more liberal with the "native" appellation than they ought to be. I'm not saying there aren't many Hong Kongers or Singaporeans or whatever that speak English very very well, but native has a particular meaning in my mind.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Tbf native speaker technically just means that you spoke it since birth; you can still be pretty bad at it. Hell there are plenty of monolingual Americans I knew growing up who literally had less facility for English than plenty of second-language English speakers soooo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Some people are a little more liberal with the "native" appellation than they ought to be. I'm not saying there aren't many Hong Kongers or Singaporeans or whatever that speak English very very well, but native has a particular meaning in my mind.

Singlish-lah

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've known Hong Kongers who grew up speaking both.

Last night I saw some buildings that looked like generic west coast suburbia detached houses. Not McMansions but normal size.

Delivery services here are really good the only problem is half the drivers are idiots and call you 30 times to ask where you are instead of reading the address conveniently printed on the package. And keep calling even if you get frustrated enough to answer and shout I don't speak Sichuanhua stop calling me at them.

Trump is a decent comparison for decoration, I thought they look like they were decorated by Liberace on hallucinogens. Or a Middle Eastern dictator. I have no idea how you'd try to explain the term "tacky".

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

English is still an official language.

Doesn't Scotland still put Gaelic on its road signs?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Tbf native speaker technically just means that you spoke it since birth; you can still be pretty bad at it. Hell there are plenty of monolingual Americans I knew growing up who literally had less facility for English than plenty of second-language English speakers soooo

*A rich foreigner educated at a quality university subsidized by tax payers comes to America*

:shepard: (to a poor, high school dropout) Excuse me, but "ain't" isn't a word. I guess *I* speak better English than native speakers! (still has an inferiority complex about not being a native English speaker or white)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

nickmeister posted:

*A rich foreigner educated at a quality university subsidized by tax payers comes to America*

:shepard: (to a poor, high school dropout) Excuse me, but "ain't" isn't a word. I guess *I* speak better English than native speakers! (still has an inferiority complex about not being a native English speaker or white)

No I mean literal illiterate individuals with extremely limited vocabulary due to the unfortunate situations they were born into and lovely parents. But putting aside their unfortunate backgrounds the fact is that they are both native speakers and very poor at English.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

nickmeister posted:

Doesn't Scotland still put Gaelic on its road signs?

Until they realised that it attracted the French :v:

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Discussion of today's Hong Kong "election" results in English
https://www.facebook.com/RTHKEnglishNews/videos/1474075712610938

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
When Lu Xun was trashing the Chinese character system as holding the Chinese back, was he advocating for a romanized system of writing, or would he have been cool with arbitrarily simplified characters as well?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJrbmRNNB20

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

You know, that "Piss" comment has always bothered me. He's clearly saying "badass", and it's like a willful mis-hearing by someone so deep in redneck territory they've not heard another accent in their entire life.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

You know, that "Piss" comment has always bothered me. He's clearly saying "badass", and it's like a willful mis-hearing by someone so deep in redneck territory they've not heard another accent in their entire life.

Don't start this poo poo again.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

He's saying piss.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
No no, I like this guy. We need a Pevanstan in the GBS thread.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Which of you came up with this?
(friend found it on Reddit)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Piss!!!!!!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
H0TW4T3RG00DF0RH34LTHY

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

omg i've been waiting for months for this guy to show up in this thread

please start at page 1

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Great Autismo! posted:

omg i've been waiting for months for this guy to show up in this thread

please start at page 1

I've been lurking for a few threads worth, nongs and so forth. Heavy accent or no it was still intelligible on the first playthough

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I think you misheard it. He actually says "piss".

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I think you misheard it. He actually says "piss".

we should probably double check with some white people who voted for trump before we really figure out exactly what is going on in this incredibly difficult to understand socio-issue

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLUppwRShpE

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
"You should know I have HIV."
*Record scratch* *Freeze-frame* "You're probably wondering how I got myself into this situation..."
*Unpause*
"HAHAHAHAHAHA, look at your face! You are so scared. Nonono, it's not true, I just wanted to see your face. I can bring my job medical exam papers. They won't hire a person with HIV. Why is your penis so small now?"

All this said by a Chinese girl that is fluent in Japanese and partial-Korean, and learned English from a Japanese person moonlighting as an English teacher, so she supeeksu wissu a bery kana-taipu syrabul akusento and throws in a lot of random Japanese words because the only foreigners she knows are Japanese and I am the first one she's had to speak English with.

I got trolled so many drat times today. First she said she had a dick. Then said she got it lopped of when she was young. Then only the butthole was the working hole. Then she had HIV. Then she was like "I came.... NOT" like 12 times. I also got my rear end whooped in Tekken 5 so many times that she said it was boring playing me. God drat this woman.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

hakimashou posted:

H0TW4T3RG00DF0RH34LTHY

G0H0M3LA0WA1

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Haier posted:

*Record scratch* *Freeze-frame* "You're probably wondering how I got myself into this situation..."
*Unpause*
"HAHAHAHAHAHA, look at your face! You are so scared. Nonono, it's not true, I just wanted to see your face. I can bring my job medical exam papers. They won't hire a person with HIV. Why is your penis so small now?"

All this said by a Chinese girl that is fluent in Japanese and partial-Korean, and learned English from a Japanese person moonlighting as an English teacher, so she supeeksu wissu a bery kana-taipu syrabul akusento and throws in a lot of random Japanese words because the only foreigners she knows are Japanese and I am the first one she's had to speak English with.

I got trolled so many drat times today. First she said she had a dick. Then said she got it lopped of when she was young. Then only the butthole was the working hole. Then she had HIV. Then she was like "I came.... NOT" like 12 times. I also got my rear end whooped in Tekken 5 so many times that she said it was boring playing me. God drat this woman.

You got out Haier'd this time.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

I gotta tip my hat to China on this one. When you hear about escalator accidents in the US it's always a mythical "And the kid's shoelace got stuck and he was sucked under!" bullshit. This, however, is a true escalator accident. Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Haier posted:

*Unpause*

On one hand this is funny that she punked you so many times. On the other hand this would get tiring really fast.

• Locked thread