Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Were the people out protesting corbyns caving / three line whip?

E: Douglas C-133 Cargomaster was a United States cargo aircraft built between 1956 and 1961

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

jBrereton posted:

Amber Rudd in pretending that Whatsapp isn't already compromised shocker

That doesn't really mean it's compromised. That the government would need WhatsApp to change the encryption keys shows that they can't crack the encryption. And they'd need access to someone's phone (look at "How dangerous is this?") to use it to trick their contacts into revealing something incriminating. They could just read past messages on that phone anyway, in that case.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

jBrereton posted:

Amber Rudd in pretending that Whatsapp isn't already compromised shocker

That article is very misleading. Pretty much the entire crypto and security community strongly condemned the Guardian for publishing it.

https://whispersystems.org/blog/there-is-no-whatsapp-backdoor/
https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/20/security-researchers-call-for-guardian-to-retract-false-whatsapp-backdoor-story/
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nqlE6UQjbUmgoMeJCePVcY5flqn8hAhmfIjeVE8PnEk/edit

Also I can't believe that first story missed the best bit: https://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewchampion/necessary-hashtags

quote:

But in her Marr interview, Rudd reiterated that she did not see legislation as the answer, preferring instead to convince tech companies to voluntarily agree to tackle the issue.

She said it was a case of getting together "the best people who understand the technology, who understand the necessary hashtags, to stop this stuff even being put up, not just taking it down, stop it getting up in the first place."

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

We're going to get the best people, the big leagues, you won't believe it. Your communications will be so public you'll be tired of winning against the terrorists.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Im an expert on hastags lads. I'm honna work for gchq decoding the terrorists' twitters

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Subway's doing their Apprenticeships to become a loving sandwich maker as well.

I think you mean Apprentice Sandwich Artist actually.

Because it's like painting, or something. :11tea:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

Im an expert on hastags lads. I'm honna work for gchq decoding the terrorists' twitters
I'll help, I know all about the #YODOs and #jihobbyists.

Prince John posted:

I think you mean Apprentice Sandwich Artist actually.

Because it's like painting, or something. :11tea:
In that it's still allowed to contain cadmium? :geno:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Government stance on encryptrion is not authoritarian enough: New Labour MP

quote:

But chairman of the home affairs select committee, Yvette Cooper, told Sky News's Sophy Ridge on Sunday it was "not enough" for the government to have more meetings with technology companies.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

My BA in Fine Sandwichery will finally pay off

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Looke posted:

My BA in Fine Sandwichery will finally pay off

That's good for you, my philosophy BA will still be useless.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I studied machine learning. But I'm not sure I understand the necessary hashtags.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
A few years ago I saw an apprenticeship in glass collecting offered at a nightclub in town. It even gave the standard spiel about learning new skills and gaining confidence :thumbsup:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

crispix posted:

A few years ago I saw an apprenticeship in glass collecting offered at a nightclub in town. It even gave the standard spiel about learning new skills and gaining confidence :thumbsup:

I mean you'd think it's an easy job, but then you don't factor in stuff like not having the necessary tact to stop yourself thoughtlessly, loudly and nonchalantly asking at each table if there's "any dead soldiers about" on the day Lee Rigby was killed or stuff like that.

Not that anybody would be dense enough to do that, of course...

:cripes:

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013
Short term brexit is good for me, cause the fall of the pound means i get lots of cheap poo poo from amazon uk, but long-term it's gonna suck, as a weaker EU is more vulnerable to political and economic pressure from East and West.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Short term it's bad for me. But long term, it's bad for me. That's my take on all this. Namaste.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Bolting the stable door when the horse is halfway to China…

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/845896090599723008

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Short term brexit is bad for Corbyn, long term brexit is also bad for Jeremy Corbyn

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The jam tariffs are going to be devastating

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

TomViolence posted:

I mean you'd think it's an easy job, but then you don't factor in stuff like not having the necessary tact to stop yourself thoughtlessly, loudly and nonchalantly asking at each table if there's "any dead soldiers about" on the day Lee Rigby was killed or stuff like that.

Not that anybody would be dense enough to do that, of course...

:cripes:

Given them a medal imo. Unless it was to their family or something.

TinTower posted:

Bolting the stable door when the horse is halfway to China…

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/845896090599723008

Honestly there's been a lot of really poor decision making going on here but Labour have actually managed to get themselves into a good spot on Brexit. No one can criticise them for opposing the will of the British people but by setting conditions which mean little changes for the worse or being able to state for the next 2 years that they won't support the particulars of Brexit as it comes out they'll win a lot of support pretty much no matter what happens.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Imagine four jam jars on the edge of a cliff, brexit works the same way

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

namesake posted:

Honestly there's been a lot of really poor decision making going on here but Labour have actually managed to get themselves into a good spot on Brexit. No one can criticise them for opposing the will of the British people but by setting conditions which mean little changes for the worse or being able to state for the next 2 years that they won't support the particulars of Brexit as it comes out they'll win a lot of support pretty much no matter what happens.

I thought this was mildly amusing:

quote:

Sir Keir, who will outline Labour's demands in a speech on Monday, told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show: "If our tests are not met then we do not intend to support the deal the government comes back with."

Among the tests is one calling for the "exact same benefits" the UK has from the single market and customs union - words he said were used by Brexit Secretary David Davis in Parliament.

"The government can't turn around and say this is unachievable because it was David Davis... who said that," he said.

Making the government's own ridiculous rhetoric part of Labour's tests is definitely the right way to go at this point.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Less than 24 hours left for Northern Ireland to try to come up with an agreed government or it's looking like another election.

Naturally the DUP aren't negotiating today cause it is the LORDS DAY so actually it's a bit less

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Strictly speaking, the Bible only prohibits "skill and craftmanship" on the Sabbath, so the DUP should be fine to keep on doing what they do.

Prince John posted:

Government stance on encryptrion is not authoritarian enough: New Labour MP
She called David Cameron soft on crime when he was saying we've too long been a passively tolerant society, Sadiq Khan soft on crime because he said maybe we shouldn't keep increasing the prison populations, now Amber Rudd is soft on crime for not immediately legislating that mathematics changes to reflect alleged security interests.
:allears:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well just after I typed that it seems Sinn Fein have announced they will not nominate a deputy first minister tomorrow so the talks have officially broken down

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

Well just after I typed that it seems Sinn Fein have announced they will not nominate a deputy first minister tomorrow so the talks have officially broken down

Is there much point in another election?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Is there much point in another election?

Not much no but Sinn Fein said they will not accept an extension via emergency legislation and the Irish and British government's have both made it clear they are cold on suspending devolution so another election seems likely as the only remaining course of action.

Wonder if May will still visit as part of her much heralded pre-Article 50 tour of the devolved regions

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Not much no but Sinn Fein said they will not accept an extension via emergency legislation and the Irish and British government's have both made it clear they are cold on suspending devolution so another election seems likely as the only remaining course of action.

Wonder if May will still visit as part of her much heralded pre-Article 50 tour of the devolved regions

What happens if/when the election result is more or less exactly the same? I assume Arlene Foster is unlikely to step down- is there anything that can/will actually change here?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Do you think this means that the parties who are being obstructionist will get fewer votes? Of course, no, but in theory.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Niric posted:

What happens if/when the election result is more or less exactly the same? I assume Arlene Foster is unlikely to step down- is there anything that can/will actually change here?

More talks!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

It's escalated beyond the DUP/SF disagreements now - the Government is getting equal flack from SF over the legacy issue and Irish language act and they are calling on the Irish government to lodge official complaints against the British government for failing to fulfil treaty commitments at the UN/ other international courts. They are quite keen to point out this the government's negotiating stance is as much to blame as the DUPs in their opinion

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Any likelihood of Sinn Fein becoming the largest party on the re-run, since they came so close last time?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Prince John posted:

Any likelihood of Sinn Fein becoming the largest party on the re-run, since they came so close last time?

Depends if there is a panicked unionist face-saving strategy - there has been a lot of chatter about Unionist Unity since the last election even from commentators critical of the DUP. RHI has kind of drifted into the background so there is a chance a "Keep Sinn Fein out" vote mobilization could yield better results than last election. Though SF and other nationalist commentators think the sea-change in mobilized nationalist voters in the last election has killed the prospect of that happening.

If there's another election it will be a test for Unionism to see if they can mobilize votes and if a silent non-voting unionist voting bloc still exists/can be tapped

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

If there is a rerun election, how long a period are we looking at before another vote?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

namesake posted:

Except that any deal, no matter how terrible, is going to be better than falling back on WTO rules. So if Labour refuses to back it they'll instead be painted as 'throwing away two years of British deal–making' and 'guaranteeing us a poorer future'. We'll get exactly the Brexit deal the EU deigns to give us, and we'll be happy to have it too.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

If there is a rerun election, how long a period are we looking at before another vote?

Brokenshire has some wiggle room in that he only has to call an election within a "reasonable time" but convention is usually 6 six weeks from the announcement of a new election, he might put off announcing a polling date until post Article 50 so maybe the second week in May?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

I watched this this morning. Jeremy was so incredubky long winded. asked about his shoot to kill comments he went on and on about context, and how when he said it he was talking about the Irish policy in the 80s. Then he gave a 500 word response about Prevent without answering the very soft question! Must be between scriptwriters at the moment but I still think Milne has to go he must have some dirt on someone

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

I watched this this morning. Jeremy was so incredubky long winded.
*in extremely Corbyn superfan voice* the word you're looking for is 'nuanced'

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Short term brexit is bad for Corbyn, long term brexit is also bad for Jeremy Corbyn

the solution is midterm brexit

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

What's that noise you make when you're humouring a small child but you're getting really loving sick of its poo poo.

something like

*bvweh*

or maybe

*gaaaaw*

yeah, that'll do it

*gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
We want to win elections, not arguments!!!!!!! Why don't you go and grow some vegetables with Gerry Adams, old windbag Jeremy CorBIN man!!!! :newlol:

• Locked thread