Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
For major strength challenges your damage output is important. I usually go in with 40+ dmg weapons and eat a dmg buff meal. You can dodge the lasers fired at you by running perpendicular to how they're fired at you. Once they're all blasted off, hit the thing with stasis and unload. That final phase is all about burst damage. Now that I think you can probably also parry the lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Here's my strategy for almost every fight in this game.

1. Have a good bit of Stamina
2. Equip a two handed sword
3. Turn off Urbosa's Fury
4. Charge that bad boy up
5. Spin 2 Win.

Shrine Guardians and sometimes even Lynels really don't have a plan to deal with Spin 2 Win

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Lynels and the Major Test of Strengths gently caress me up hard, I have probably 20+ hours in the game and can't figure out how to fight them. The first stream I ever popped on to see the game in action was someone fighting a Lynel and doing expert dodges all over the place, but I can't find a window. Do ancient arrows do the trick on the Tests? I think they don't let the enemies drop any loot, so they're useless against Lynels because that's the reason you fight them.

Like Wildtortilla says, your damage output is the most important thing in the Major Tests of Strength. Those Guardians have a lot of HP and it can suck to break like seven weak weapons on them and only reach half HP.

For both, though, I'd argue that perfect dodges and parries aren't that important if you figure out how to make yourself some safe opportunities to attack. The Guardians in the Tests of Strength leave some pretty big openings between their attacks or when they run into a pillar/ice block/metal block during their spin attack. Meanwhile, Lynels get stunned for several seconds if you shoot them in the face, which is easiest if you have a multi-shot bow or if you use the updrafts from their fire breath to get a mid-air shot. Learn how to make yourself attack windows and you don't need to worry about the really technical, showy stuff (which is fun, but not the only way to fight).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Moltrey posted:

1. Have a good bit of Stamina
2. Equip a two handed sword
4. Charge that bad boy up
5. Spin 2 Win.

Shrine Guardians and sometimes even Lynels really don't have a plan to deal with Spin 2 Win

how do you do this?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another hard mode idea: only one Champion power enabled at a time, and they share a cooldown (so if you switch because one's on cooldown the one you switched to also needs to recharge)? And maybe disable them in dungeons just like they're disabled in shrines now.

Larrymer posted:

how do you do this?

All the Champion powers are key items (the star icon inventory tab). Use them there to turn them on or off individually.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
After struggling with Death Mountain, I managed to get to Goron City in the absolute most bone-headed way possible. Mostly it consisted of abusing the hot springs and the fact you can't burst into flames when wet, haste elixers and a shitton of cooked meat (I just need heat protection, I thought, this chillfin/chillshroom dish should help. Nope!). Also I had a guardian axe, did you know that the charge attack for heavier weapons extinguishes you being on fire? It's great because when I got to the city's armour shop the clerk just went bug-eyed and said "dude stop talking to me, buy this armour or you are going to die" as I'm smouldering in the corner.

Ten minutes later I look through my inventory and realize that that lizard I caught ages ago makes a fireproof elixer. Is there a word for using incredible cleverness to overcome sheer stupidity? :shepicide:

e: yeah, major tests of strength are super binary: they're impossible up until a certain point and then they're a cakewalk when you learn how the guardians act. I wish there weren't so many of them, doing a mop-up was almost comical.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just scroll over to the Key Inventory tab and select one of the power orbs and you can turn them on and off at will. I have Urbosa's and Daruk's off almost all the time so I don't waste them doing my dumb poo poo

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Man I've beaten all the divine beasts and have the master sword with 80 shrines and maxed out stamina and I still don't feel like I'm in the endgame, this game is incredible. This must be what Majora's Mask felt like for people who really got that game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Wildtortilla posted:

I do not understand the timing to dodge Lynel attacks. I fought one a few minutes ago and it went perfectly and now I'm fighting the Lynel in the N Tabantha Snowfield and I've reloaded at least ten times.

I dodge and he hits me and I don't know if I should be dodging when he first swings or dodge right before it connects with me.

I don't know if it's the same Lynel, but if it's the Lynel with the 2 handed club, then there is an attack he has that you oddly can't consistently dodge. It makes a tiny explosion that will knock you out of the dodge. Your safest bet is to just recognize the startup of that move and parry it, either from up close or if he rushes you. You can see the move covered here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IUPHWJuzC0&t=309s

ManlyGrunting posted:

Man I've beaten all the divine beasts and have the master sword with 80 shrines and maxed out stamina and I still don't feel like I'm in the endgame, this game is incredible. This must be what Majora's Mask felt like for people who really got that game.

Idk, as someone who loved Majora's Mask, I liked it because of the world and characters and interesting setting which all tied together. Botw, on the other hand, just feels like its full of "stuff". If the next zelda game was Botw-gameplay styled but directed like MM (with less but more focused content), then I'd be on board.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Breath of the Wild gameplay is what I want Nintendo to carry forward to the next Zelda. A huge, nonlinear world would be fine, but I don't think they're going to be able to recpature the magic and I hope they don't just mimic it as the default structure from now on (like they did with Link to the Past's structure for so long).

I think some element of player-driven exploration needs to stick around, too--don't lock us down again like Skyward Sword--but otherwise, do something new. Mix and match. Don't go back to the Link to the Past structure necessarily, but something more narrative would be cool. Just as long as it has items with a bunch of cool uses outside of just solving its dungeon's puzzles, physics-based gameplay and puzzle solving that allows for out-of-the-box solutions and "hahaha holy poo poo that worked" moments, and a world that is actually fun and rewarding to explore, I'm going to be very happy.

Like Wind Waker is almost there. If the islands were more varied and exciting and the items were more than just keys to very specific locks, it'd be almost as good for exploration, which is good, because that was the last time they really focused on exploration. If the next one was just Wind Waker again but with more freely-usable items, Breath of the Wild physics, and more varied islands (maybe even some that are really big and span multiple grid squares?) I'd be fuckin' thrilled. (Also let me tackle dungeons in different orders, I love that poo poo. In Wind Waker, there's absolutely zero reason why I have to do Medli's dungeon before Makar's--they don't use each others' items and their stories are totally disconnected. Why can't I do them in either order? It's totally arbitrary.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 26, 2017

americong
May 29, 2013

I think a spiritual successor to wind waker is absolutely a good direction for the series to take

would love to sail around a Hyrule that feels like Le Guin's Earthsea

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
You can just cancel Urbosa's Fury by pressing the run button while spinning. It cancels the spin too but it's a lot more convenient than navigating to the menu to turn it off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

americong posted:

I think a spiritual successor to wind waker is absolutely a good direction for the series to take

would love to sail around a Hyrule that feels like Le Guin's Earthsea

I'd be super into that. I hope if they do revisit ocean Zelda, they keep Wind Waker's amazingly welcoming atmosphere, too. That's my favorite thing about it. It's just such an optimistic and warm game.

Also maybe just ditch voice acting. It did let them do some more dramatic scenes in Breath of the Wild than they might have been able to do without it, but, eh, I'm just not convinced it's necessary. Maybe I'd feel differently if I played with a different language's voice tracks. I hear the Spanish voices are awesome. I'd be into Hispanophone Hyrule.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

For tests of strength I would just parry that final laser, it kills the guardian instantly. Well, I used to do that. Now that I have stronger weapons I just go up to it and whack it to death before it fires a single laser.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nolgthorn posted:

Also, what stores usually put Amiibo's on sale so I don't have to pay full price.

If you mean Zelda Amiibos, none of them. You won't find them for sale much less on sale. All the Zelda amiibos went on clearance before BOTW came out and they got snatched up as soon as the game came out. I found an 8Bit Link at Toys R Us (there were a bunch, they are gone now). I found a smash brothers Link on Toys R Us online the other day, which are gone now. And I got an OoT Link off Amazon for double price but at least not 80 dollars like on ebay. You might be able to find cheaper amiibos based off other games but they only give you random materials, not anything cool.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Where's the merchant who sells ancient parts? The components, I mean.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
For Major Tests of Strength; remember that Guardians of all stripes are weak to their own weapons, and that all Test of Strength Guardians respawn every blood moon. If you have any Minor or Modest Tests unlocked, go through those and farm their weapons to use on the Major one. You'll get a much better return on investment that way.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spergatory posted:

For Major Tests of Strength; remember that Guardians of all stripes are weak to their own weapons, and that all Test of Strength Guardians respawn every blood moon. If you have any Minor or Modest Tests unlocked, go through those and farm their weapons to use on the Major one. You'll get a much better return on investment that way.

I've been doing that too, I just really need one more ancient core and I did all the major tests already this cycle

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Any tips on finding hightail lizards? Spent 45 minutes cutting grass but only one.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Boosh! posted:

Any tips on finding hightail lizards? Spent 45 minutes cutting grass but only one.

Stealth gear and look on tree trunks. I liked the Plateau when I was looking for them.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Just set up your radar to find them and put on stealth armor to sneak up on them. They like to hang out on the sides of trees

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is getting ancient gears just RNG? Just need 12 more for the boots and I'll be complete of that set. The Dark Link garb was easier than I thought it'd be and I had enough left over to get all the masks and the monster harness. Granted -- I used almost every single monster part... but it was VERY worth it.

Waiting on my 30th anniversary Link amiibo to come in the mail now. :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boosh! posted:

The next time you see one, use the Camera rune to take a picture. Then use your Sheikah slate sensor to track them and go wander the woods near the Dueling Peaks Stable in stealth gear. You'll get a ton in no time. But it really helps to have the sensor to point you in the right direction because they're small and might be tough to notice until you've already spooked them otherwise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

On stealth gear you don't even have to sneak, you can just run right up to them mashing A and you'll get them every time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Lizards and butterflies are the hardest to get. Lizards blend into the ground or the trees they are on and it's tricky to spot them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just run in your radar direction and continually mash A

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

bizarre deformity posted:

Where's the merchant who sells ancient parts? The components, I mean.

Check in Hateno village. I think he's a traveling merchant but I have no idea what his other end node could be because Dueling Peaks stables is super far off. Maybe he lives in the hut in Fort Hateno, that would make sense.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Moltrey posted:

You can hit B mid spin attack to cancel it and not waste urbosa's.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So hey, what're the chances that the new story and dungeon is a trip into the Twilight world? BotW has pretty much every Zelda race present in this game except for the Twili (and the Minish who apparently have all been killed off), and I think there's a ton of potential to having a "mirror world" like place as the setting for some DLC.

frodnonnag posted:

You can hit B mid spin attack to cancel it and not waste urbosa's.

Or you can just turn off Urbosa's Fury and not have to worry about it?

Or hell, leave it on, it's not like you're gonna need it for anything soon anyway.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd put those chances at zero.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Would have been nice if there were at least a hint a the Minish in the Minish Woods.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

Would have been nice if there were at least a hint a the Minish in the Minish Woods.

Obviously Link is just too old to see them

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Found a boring but pretty easy to grind rupees: just northeast of Hebra Tower is a shack where you can play a bowling game using a giant snowball. After the first strike, you can get 300 rupees for a strike. If you drop the snowball basically on the back right of the dude's head, you will end up with a strike or 9 pins, so worst case scenario you get 50 rupees.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

The Minish are the reason why there's hearts and rupees hidden in grass. Between that not being a thing in BotW and the devs mentioning they had planned on having tiny people in the game, but scrapped it because they thought the world was too dangerous for them to exist in, I am very worried about our tiny friends.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I just bought out Beedle's inventory constantly and always had 200+ arrows and tons of bugs/lizards/etc

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When Hitori mountain glows if you take a 5x bow and some bomb arrows and loving nuke all the blupees from orbit you'll get like 3000 rupees.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Gruckles posted:

The Minish are the reason why there's hearts and rupees hidden in grass. Between that not being a thing in BotW and the devs mentioning they had planned on having tiny people in the game, but scrapped it because they thought the world was too dangerous for them to exist in, I am very worried about our tiny friends.

oh I see. lizards and bugs are just fine living in this dangerous world, but little people?!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SatansBestBuddy posted:

BotW has pretty much every Zelda race present in this game except for the Twili (and the Minish who apparently have all been killed off)

drat, no love for the Kikwi or the Mogma

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Uh uh..good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ventana posted:

drat, no love for the Kikwi or the Mogma

Considering they don't show up in any other game, I'll assume they died out. Though, I suppose you could make the argument that the Kikwi evolved into the Kokori, taking humanoid form for some reason, and then later evolved into the Koroks. The Mogma though are dead.