Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Dang, just what we need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Mr. President, please stop, we can't take all these mountains of civilian corpses. We have so many mountains of civilian corpses that we are tired of mountains of civilian corpses.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Good loving job you orange piece of poo poo.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Dang, just what we need.

This is what Trump and Bannon are actually saying to themselves, for the record.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

Fascist Animals is a pretty good descriptor for anyone who supports or fights for Assad.

Some don't have a choice.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix posted:

Some don't have a choice.

They all had a choice. They picked fascism.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Volkerball posted:

Hmm execution or fascism.

Sorry id pick fascism. Westerners seem tothink anythin g less than 1 millio people dead is just water under the bridge

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

Hmm execution or fascism.

Sorry id pick fascism. Westerners seem tothink anythin g less than 1 millio people dead is just water under the bridge

And you'd be more of a coward than most Syrians for it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Perhaps Volkerball would like to go into Syria, make that choice, and then come back and tell us how easy it was?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba posted:

Perhaps Volkerball would like to go into Syria, make that choice, and then come back and tell us how easy it was?

I didn't say it was an easy choice. Just that they had a choice, and they chose to collaborate with a fascist to save their own asses. If there's consequences for that, :shrug:

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Brother Friendship posted:

Mr. President, please stop, we can't take all these mountains of civilian corpses. We have so many mountains of civilian corpses that we are tired of mountains of civilian corpses.

I think this was already mentioned, but based on other articles it looks like the airstrike blew up a massive car bomb that leveled the block.

Unlike the mosque bombing in Idlib, this wasn't a targeting error, per se.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-mosul-idUSKBN16U2OF

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

And you'd be more of a coward than most Syrians for it.

choosing to live is not cowardice hth

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
trading freedom for temporary security is both cowardly and extremely dumb though.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Truga posted:

trading freedom for temporary security is both cowardly and extremely dumb though.

nobody traded freedom for temporary security, because freedom wasn't a choice. the choices were Al Quaeda or Assad

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This is true, Syrian rebels don't exist, Assad was just bombing empty cities.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OctaMurk posted:

nobody traded freedom for temporary security, because freedom wasn't a choice. the choices were Al Quaeda or Assad

Al Qaeda was nothing in Syria for a solid year after protests broke out. The regime was massacring innocent people and calling them jihadists after the fact. It was transparent bullshit, but people chose to believe it. Just as they chose to believe that it's a legitimate election where a candidate wins 99% of the vote, that it's ok for people to be detained, tortured, and executed for criticizing the president, and that it's fine if the economy exists solely to empower Assad's family.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Truga posted:

This is true, Syrian rebels don't exist, Assad was just bombing empty cities.

Syrian rebels is an alternative name for Al Quaeda-lite. The majority of the rebel's combat power was never provided by people who wanted freedom or democracy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OctaMurk posted:

Syrian rebels is an alternative name for Al Quaeda-lite. The majority of the rebel's combat power was never provided by people who wanted freedom or democracy.

The FSA was formed by military defectors, op.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OctaMurk posted:

Just like theres been no True Communist state right

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Since Trump took office, American air strikes have killed more innocent civilians in Iraq and Syria than Russia has.

For context, we used to regularly deny 1/2 the bombing missions that the PYD or Iraqis called out due to the possibility of civilian casualties.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

TildeATH posted:

See a doctor, for real.

I have, you ableist rear end in a top hat. My behaviour doesn't harm anyone or myself nor is it noticeable, and it isn't logically a stupid thing to do, so gently caress you, you stigmatizing simpleton. See one yourself.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Volkerball posted:

I didn't say it was an easy choice. Just that they had a choice, and they chose to collaborate with a fascist to save their own asses. If there's consequences for that, :shrug:

How can somebody be such a piece of trash.

In an alternative timeline Volkerball would have found a happy livelihood overseeing the deportation of Soviet POWs to gulags after the war for collaborating with the enemy.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Re: the video of the TOW strike last page, what is generally the explosive weight and composition of what they're using?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Fascist Animals is a pretty good descriptor for anyone who supports or fights for Assad.

As long as we get to call the rebels Islamist Animals.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dr.Radical posted:

Re: the video of the TOW strike last page, what is generally the explosive weight and composition of what they're using?

about 3 kilograms of explosive, but there's no fragmentation so the effectiveness reduces quickly with distance from the impact point

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Maybe US airstrikes over mosul are suspended, but the ISF ground offensive is back on track after a couple of quiet days

https://twitter.com/IraqiSecurity/status/845963457413435392

https://twitter.com/iraqi_day/status/845969579239202816

https://twitter.com/BowenBBC/status/845916058515058688

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 26, 2017

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sergg posted:

Since Trump took office, American air strikes have killed more innocent civilians in Iraq and Syria than Russia has.

For context, we used to regularly deny 1/2 the bombing missions that the PYD or Iraqis called out due to the possibility of civilian casualties.

ISIS is also claiming coalition bombing caused damage to systems at Tabqa Dam and prevents their engineers from reaching the site, meaning it might collapse. There's definitely been bombing there, but ISIS is obviously unreliable.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Brown Moses posted:

ISIS is also claiming coalition bombing caused damage to systems at Tabqa Dam and prevents their engineers from reaching the site, meaning it might collapse. There's definitely been bombing there, but ISIS is obviously unreliable.

Yeah, Aamaq says the dam could collapse at any moment, but that is what they would say regardless of the condition the dam was in, I guess

other sources back up parts of the claim

https://twitter.com/sarahussein/status/845961459607748608

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

How do you square this attitude with your own choice to go into Iraq and take part in that crime?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

There are alas, plenty of fascist animals in the Middle East. Assadists. Trumpists. Israeli colonists. Those taking part in or supporting the on-going genocide in Yemen.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah, Aamaq says the dam could collapse at any moment, but that is what they would say regardless of the condition the dam was in, I guess

other sources back up parts of the claim

https://twitter.com/sarahussein/status/845961459607748608

I got some recent imagery of the dam, seems there's been no direct damage
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/845946067325767681

This place got blown to pieces, it's just south of the dam
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/845948525238202369
https://twitter.com/elemcee69/status/845956165876027393

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/845861906896310272

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Might not be totally inappropriate if it was actually a VBIED getting hit.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mediadave posted:

How do you square this attitude with your own choice to go into Iraq and take part in that crime?

I didn't deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan, but that was a matter of circumstance. In the time period when I would have gone, I would've either been fighting what became ISIS, or fighting the Taliban. I didn't have any moral issues with doing either, being the jihadist sympathizer that I am. The war crimes being committed back then were mostly at an individual level rather than at an institutional level. You had soldiers who thought killing anyone, to include unarmed noncombatants, made them a badass. Or that if they didn't kill anyone, they weren't doing the job "they signed up for." So you had situations like Haditha and the kill teams where soldiers took it upon themselves to go and murder civilians. At a lower, more common level, you had guys chuckling about throwing gatorade bottles of piss at Iraqi kids and things like that to dehumanize the civilians. I never bought into all of that poo poo, so I don't consider myself part of that problem, although I did see soldiers with that attitude while I was in. I felt like I could be somewhat of a counterweight to that, and would have support in doing so because the mission was to win hearts and minds and build stable militaries and governments. The jackasses taking shots at old men in wheelchairs were directly undermining that mission, and as a result, were empowering groups like ISIS. But I had to change jobs due to hearing loss, so I never ended up going. In the end, the jackasses were pretty successful.

But more in line with what happened in Syria, had protesters back home started protesting about regulatory capture and then been gunned down, sparking a civil war in which I was obligated to fight on behalf of the army against US citizens, I would've defected or died trying, no question about it. It's easier to do that when you are young and don't have a family, but if I had been in a situation where I had made the determination to collaborate to protect my own family, I wouldn't expect, or want your sympathy. I'd probably welcome death at that point, and it wouldn't be undeserved when it came.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

OctaMurk posted:

choosing to live is not cowardice hth

That's not what Hamlet said...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ben Norton supported Trump because he was so afraid of Hillary, so he can stfu. This is the world he wanted.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Volkerball posted:

I didn't deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan, but that was a matter of circumstance. In the time period when I would have gone, I would've either been fighting what became ISIS, or fighting the Taliban. I didn't have any moral issues with doing either, being the jihadist sympathizer that I am. The war crimes being committed back then were mostly at an individual level rather than at an institutional level. You had soldiers who thought killing anyone, to include unarmed noncombatants, made them a badass. Or that if they didn't kill anyone, they weren't doing the job "they signed up for." So you had situations like Haditha and the kill teams where soldiers took it upon themselves to go and murder civilians. At a lower, more common level, you had guys chuckling about throwing gatorade bottles of piss at Iraqi kids and things like that to dehumanize the civilians. I never bought into all of that poo poo, so I don't consider myself part of that problem, although I did see soldiers with that attitude while I was in. I felt like I could be somewhat of a counterweight to that, and would have support in doing so because the mission was to win hearts and minds and build stable militaries and governments. The jackasses taking shots at old men in wheelchairs were directly undermining that mission, and as a result, were empowering groups like ISIS. But I had to change jobs due to hearing loss, so I never ended up going. In the end, the jackasses were pretty successful.

But more in line with what happened in Syria, had protesters back home started protesting about regulatory capture and then been gunned down, sparking a civil war in which I was obligated to fight on behalf of the army against US citizens, I would've defected or died trying, no question about it. It's easier to do that when you are young and don't have a family, but if I had been in a situation where I had made the determination to collaborate to protect my own family, I wouldn't expect, or want your sympathy. I'd probably welcome death at that point, and it wouldn't be undeserved when it came.

You wouldn't say starting an illegal war was an institutional war crime? And you wouldn't say that allowing the individual abuses to take place by starting the war should ultimately be blamed on the leadership and institutions?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Grads hit AL Quaboun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAutXAORLUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why didnt isis detonate more dams? Seems like a pretty great weapon of mass destruction

• Locked thread