Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I want to see Sean Bean and Michelle Rodriguez play two immortals. Just scene after scene of death after brutal death, only for them to get up right afterwards.

Maybe it'll help get it out of their systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

LIFE does an exceedingly good job of justifying my hatred for Baby Groot.

Please elaborate.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Grendels Dad posted:

The These People Die A Lot cinematic universe.

The Extremely Expendables

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The main problem with the Expendables is that none of them really die so you never get the feeling they actually are expendable. Like if every film killed off at least three core team members in the most brutal ways possible than it would work a lot better.

I don't think they've actually killed anyone off except for that new guy who was really obviously going to die from the moment he talked about his girlfriend.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Each film they should have killed off all but one of them, then brought everyone back for the sequels as their twin brothers.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Grendels Dad posted:

Still waiting for my Sean Bean/Michelle Rodriguez movie where they just hang out waiting to die.

Sean Bean/Michelle Rodriguez buddy cop movie!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spatula City posted:

Sean Bean/Michelle Rodriguez buddy cop movie!

Sean Bean and Michelle Rodgriguez are partners in...TWO WEEKS TO RETIREMENT.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Shame John Hurt is gone or we could had him be their mentor.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sean Bean and Michelle Rodgriguez are partners in...TWO WEEKS TO RETIREMENT.

Rirse posted:

A movie where a character dies every tenth minute.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alhazred posted:

Not safe for work but this is the film you're looking for. A Godfrey Ho ripoff of The Killer with Sibelle Hu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y17HMVDteOM

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Not safe for work but this is the film you're looking for. A Godfrey Ho ripoff of The Killer with Sibelle Hu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y17HMVDteOM

I think 80's-90's VHS trash might be my greatest guilty pleasure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

So a horror movie.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkYjKf8JMig

Directed by Benny Chan

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Rirse posted:

One of them can be Hugh Jackman's love interest

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Please elaborate.

The villain of the film is Baby Groot. Baby Groot murders a bunch of astronauts and drinks their blood.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The villain of the film is Baby Groot. Baby Groot murders a bunch of astronauts and drinks their blood.

And then turns into Venom.

Groot, no!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Oh, wow, blackface gag, and for the whole family!

At least it apparently incinerates them after.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

dont even fink about it posted:

And then turns into Venom.

Groot, no!

I thought "the comics have to have done this already" and wasn't disappointed!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

And why do you hate Baby Groot?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Baby Groot is stupid merchandise marketing bullshit, I would say, though I can't speak for SMG(SuperMechaGodzilla, I can speak for Sarah Michelle Gellar. She only watched GoTG on a plane and doesn't really have a strong opinion)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah until Battle Angel bombs and they kick him off of it.

Christoph Walz and Michelle Rodriguez in the same movie is pretty hilarious, though.

I hope Battle Angel does well since it's a manga I grew up on and some of the casting (Christoph Waltz as Dr. Ido, Mahershala Ali as Vector and Jackie Earle Haley as Desty Nova) is on point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

parallelodad posted:

The Baby Groot is stupid merchandise marketing bullshit, I would say, though I can't speak for SMG(SuperMechaGodzilla, I can speak for Sarah Michelle Gellar. She only watched GoTG on a plane and doesn't really have a strong opinion)

in the first movie it's just a little guy dancing to the best jackson 5 song for like twenty seconds for a cute gag.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Groovelord Neato posted:

in the first movie it's just a little guy dancing to the best jackson 5 song for like twenty seconds for a cute gag.

Sure, but it looks like a very heavy marketing push for the little guy in the second movie.

I didn't really think a character who's gimmick was saying one line over and over was all that great in the first place, now we get a precocious baby version.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Yeah but what has it got to do with Life?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I think its cool that they took a giant tree guy in the first movie and made him an idiot baby in the sequel, and it works organically in the plot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tiriganiaq posted:

The alien starts off small and cute and gets big and not cute.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Baby Groot is a Minion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aptly put.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tiriganiaq posted:

As the title implies, the monster in the film is a plantlike 'life-spirit'. It has all the exact same traits as Groot, but is obviously not celebrated as this loveable spirit of nature with cycles of rebirth or whatever. LIFE, correctly, focuses on Groot's fundamental obscenity. Like his tendency to extend his roots into people - to eat them? Groot persists in the exact way that we say someone persists in a vegetative state. It's the Werner Herzog take on Groot:

"Kinski always says [the jungle is] full of erotic elements. I don't see it so much erotic. I see it more full of obscenity. It's just - Nature here is vile and base. I wouldn't see anything erotical here. I would see fornication and asphyxiation and choking and fighting for survival and... growing and... just rotting away. Of course, there's a lot of misery. But it is the same misery that is all around us. The trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. I don't think they - they sing. They just screech in pain. It's an unfinished country. It's still prehistorical. The only thing that is lacking is - is the dinosaurs here. It's like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever... goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It's a land that God, if he exists has - has created in anger. It's the only land where - where creation is unfinished yet. Taking a close look at - at what's around us there - there is some sort of a harmony. It is the harmony of... overwhelming and collective murder. And we in comparison to the articulate vileness and baseness and obscenity of all this jungle - Uh, we in comparison to that enormous articulation - we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half-finished sentences out of a stupid suburban... novel... a cheap novel. We have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery and overwhelming fornication... overwhelming growth and overwhelming lack of order. Even the - the stars up here in the - in the sky look like a mess. There is no harmony in the universe. We have to get acquainted to this idea that there is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But when I say this, I say this all full of admiration for the jungle. It is not that I hate it, I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

God drat, sometimes I forget about SMG posts and then I read another one and lose my poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

plants don't eat people.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Groovelord Neato posted:

plants don't eat people.

Audrey 2

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

plants don't eat people.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vanderdeath posted:

I hope Battle Angel does well since it's a manga I grew up on and some of the casting (Christoph Waltz as Dr. Ido, Mahershala Ali as Vector and Jackie Earle Haley as Desty Nova) is on point.

The director though :negative: Desperado and Sin City were cool. So was From Dusk Til Dawn. Maybe he'll channel his talent from those films instead of like... Spy Kids. And Sin City 2.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

plants don't eat people.

Yes they do. It's just that, unlike Groot, they wait for you to die before absorbing your nutrients.

LIFE is a nice companion piece to the underrated horror film The Ruins.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

plants don't eat people.

Just a matter of scale, venus fly traps would if they were bigger. And if you went into a coma in the jungle moss and fungus etc would start growing on you (other bugs and animals would beat it to the punch, though).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

God drat, sometimes I forget about SMG posts and then I read another one and lose my poo poo.

To be fair to the point I was a little taken aback when Groot offered its reproductive organs to a small child in GoG

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

As the title implies, the monster in the film is a plantlike 'life-spirit'. It has all the exact same traits as Groot, but is obviously not celebrated as this loveable spirit of nature with cycles of rebirth or whatever. LIFE, correctly, focuses on Groot's fundamental obscenity. Like his tendency to extend his roots into people - to eat them? Groot persists in the exact way that we say someone persists in a vegetative state. It's the Werner Herzog take on Groot:

"Kinski always says [the jungle is] full of erotic elements. I don't see it so much erotic. I see it more full of obscenity. It's just - Nature here is vile and base. I wouldn't see anything erotical here. I would see fornication and asphyxiation and choking and fighting for survival and... growing and... just rotting away. Of course, there's a lot of misery. But it is the same misery that is all around us. The trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. I don't think they - they sing. They just screech in pain. It's an unfinished country. It's still prehistorical. The only thing that is lacking is - is the dinosaurs here. It's like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever... goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It's a land that God, if he exists has - has created in anger. It's the only land where - where creation is unfinished yet. Taking a close look at - at what's around us there - there is some sort of a harmony. It is the harmony of... overwhelming and collective murder. And we in comparison to the articulate vileness and baseness and obscenity of all this jungle - Uh, we in comparison to that enormous articulation - we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half-finished sentences out of a stupid suburban... novel... a cheap novel. We have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery and overwhelming fornication... overwhelming growth and overwhelming lack of order. Even the - the stars up here in the - in the sky look like a mess. There is no harmony in the universe. We have to get acquainted to this idea that there is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But when I say this, I say this all full of admiration for the jungle. It is not that I hate it, I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment."

Herzog also surely sees something obscene in a man who sees erotic elements in his own daughter.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Those attitudes are all very unsettlingly German.

And this from a people who while the Romans were playing Civ 2.9 they were living in forests and being pretty rude themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

The director though :negative: Desperado and Sin City were cool. So was From Dusk Til Dawn. Maybe he'll channel his talent from those films instead of like... Spy Kids. And Sin City 2.

I actually just watched Sin City 2 on Netflix the other night and kinda liked it. The CGI looked really bad in parts and the writing suffered from the usual Frank Miller problems, but the short with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the gambler was legitimately great, and while the other two were way more uneven, they at least had the decency to put a lot of Marv in those two.

• Locked thread