Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Did you dudes know we only have one mdegaton class warhead in the nuclear stockpile anymore? And it's a "measly" 1 megaton gravity bomb at that.

We can still gently caress up Russia but we've left the era of ending humanity way in the past.

This.. saddens me.

Make America Great Again let's start with our nuclear warfare capability.

I am pretty sure we've never had megaton class warheads on top of our ICBMs, we always went for MIRV and "just enough boom to completely destroy a city". A ~300 kt warhead will still​ flatten the gently caress out of anything you care to hit, and won't create enough fallout to wreck the world by itself.

Castle Bravo, the 15MT test detonation that we did, vaporized the reef it happened over, scattered radioactive calcium over the entire world via the upper atmosphere, and its fallout is still carried in the bones of every man woman and child today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Zeris posted:

That was a good watch

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

105 mm at best, what are you expecting?

The 40mm and the pair of miniguns doing work as well :colbert:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

orange juche posted:

I am pretty sure we've never had megaton class warheads on top of our ICBMs, we always went for MIRV and "just enough boom to completely destroy a city". A ~300 kt warhead will still​ flatten the gently caress out of anything you care to hit, and won't create enough fallout to wreck the world by itself.

Castle Bravo, the 15MT test detonation that we did, vaporized the reef it happened over, scattered radioactive calcium over the entire world via the upper atmosphere, and its fallout is still carried in the bones of every man woman and child today.

Titan, Atlas, and Thor had a multi megaton unitary warheard. And we made a poo poo ton of multi megaton gravity bombs.

Don't get me wrong, Minuteman + Trident + B-2 grav bombs and B-52 ALCM's is a goddamn frightening amount of firepower. But uh, we used to have a lot more fire power than that and it was at a higher state of readiness too.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 26, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

orange juche posted:

The Minuteman missiles used to carry the 1.2 megaton W56 warhead

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
The good old days, when you used to be able to drive five minutes down the road and visit your local neighborhood Nike missile site.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Doesn't our accuracy with our nukes more or less make multiple 300-350kt strikes more efficient than one big strike anyway?

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

I'm really curious what Hannity thinks when people say this. Like is that poo poo-eating grin because he knows the dude is right and doesn't give a gently caress? Or is he just being an rear end in a top hat because he has the patience of a goldfish and can barely contain himself until it's his turn to speak? What is his level of self-delusion here?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Untagged posted:

The good old days, when you used to be able to drive five minutes down the road and visit your local neighborhood Nike missile site.

you laugh but this is true for me

it's decommissioned but a lot of people hike into it

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Things have gotten more accurate as well, I mean sure Atomic Annie and Davie Crocketts are off the table but we have GPS and laser guided stuff now (that can even tell the difference between target and emitter! Kung Fu Action Grip!) and I'm pretty sure that a lot of the guided stuff takes selfies now so it's not gonna be long before we see the snapchat filters on jihadi john before he turns into shoes and face bacon.

Bolow posted:

Doesn't our accuracy with our nukes more or less make multiple 300-350kt strikes more efficient than one big strike anyway?

Yeah, we no longer have to do the nuclear equivalent of a sweep and zone mission to do the damage we want.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Titan, Atlas, and Thor had a multi megaton unitary warheard. And we made a poo poo ton of multi megaton gravity bombs.

Don't get me wrong, Minuteman + Trident + B-2 grav bombs and B-52 ALCM's is a goddamn frightening amount of firepower. But uh, we used to have a lot more fire power than that and it was at a higher state of readiness too.

Yeah it's the state of readiness that is more concerning than the power of the weapons. What good is a 300kt warhead if noone has inspected it in years and you're honestly not sure if the loving thing will go off if it is needed? For example the older W series weapons had an internal safety that will corrode if not replaced and they had something north of 50% dud rate when they were tested, instead of a multi megaton boom, they got a 1t wet fart in tests.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bolow posted:

Not just nukes. Our conventional capabilities are at the point that they can counter nuclear capabilities. Russia, too. There's a growing concern about cruise missile proliferation. Not to mention the growth of hypersonic missiles.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Pesticide20 posted:

Not just nukes. Our conventional capabilities are at the point that they can counter nuclear capabilities. Russia, too. There's a growing concern about cruise missile proliferation. Not to mention the growth of hypersonic missiles.

Out of curiosity, what systems can counter nuclear capabilities? Accurate & stealthy cruise missiles?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Missionary Positron posted:

Out of curiosity, what systems can counter nuclear capabilities? Accurate & stealthy cruise missiles?

Essentially precision conventional munitions have reached the point where they can mission kill even hardened nuclear launch platforms.

Hypersonic low observable cruise missiles will only do better.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Crossposting

:allears: goddamn the clintons continue to be dumb.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Pretty much. The idea is that we can use conventional weapons like cruise missiles to eliminate an enemy's offensive capabilities by taking out mapped missile silos. That allows nuclear weapons to be used for other missions.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

M_Gargantua posted:

Crossposting

:allears: goddamn the clintons continue to be dumb.

As happy as I am to poo poo on the Clinton's this is kinda disingenuous, because we were asking the same exact question in here not long ago.

The question being "Someone photoshopped that, right? That's not an actual thing Trump had hanging as a massive backdrop for his Clinton memorial dinner, right?"

Pretending Chelsea Clinton thinks this is what Lincoln was wearing is pretty dumb.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Pretending Chelsea Clinton thinks this is what Lincoln was wearing is pretty dumb.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Essentially precision conventional munitions have reached the point where they can mission kill even hardened nuclear launch platforms.

Hypersonic low observable cruise missiles will only do better.

Pesticide20 posted:

Pretty much. The idea is that we can use conventional weapons like cruise missiles to eliminate an enemy's offensive capabilities by taking out mapped missile silos. That allows nuclear weapons to be used for other missions.

Ah, right. It's still pretty mindblowing to me that a conventional cruise missile can take out a nuclear missile silo built to withstand at least some form of nuclear attack.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I'm really curious what Hannity thinks when people say this. Like is that poo poo-eating grin because he knows the dude is right and doesn't give a gently caress? Or is he just being an rear end in a top hat because he has the patience of a goldfish and can barely contain himself until it's his turn to speak? What is his level of self-delusion here?

I think it's uncomplicated smuggery; I bet he thinks the idea is ridiculous on its face, that he does good work that helps the American people, and that Koppel has lost touch with reality.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ah, right. It's still pretty mindblowing to me that a conventional cruise missile can take out a nuclear missile silo built to withstand at least some form of nuclear attack.

That's because when those silos were built they were hardened against a weapon where the CEP was measured in hundreds of meters and GPS was a pipe dream.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you laugh but this is true for me

it's decommissioned but a lot of people hike into it

Oh yeah, me too. There were two old one's fairly close to my parents old house. I believe one was technically the radar/command station, which was separate from the missile site. Both long since overgrown and sold off. Still pretty cool to look at and see where stuff used to be.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Withstanding a nuclear air burst in the 70s took a giant concrete door. So they spread out silos so that one huge blast could never take out more than one at once. Once MIRVs got to the point where you could hit each solo silos within kill radius they essentially gave up and started clumping them again but with the expectation that our more mature radar systems would give us enough warning to launch any missile that was threatened by an incoming missile.

Now your threat is a wave of tomahawks which even if you've got a giant concrete door will certainly break the door enough where you can't fire the misssle, and will likely destroy the missile and warhead from falling concrete and blast wave. Hence the mission kill.

So now we are left with only submarine and road mobile missiles that act as survivable second strike missiles. And the US doesn't do road mobile missiles. Check out Arms Control Wonk's episode about potential basing modes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

M_Gargantua posted:

Withstanding a nuclear air burst in the 70s took a giant concrete door. So they spread out silos so that one huge blast could never take out more than one at once. Once MIRVs got to the point where you could hit each solo silos within kill radius they essentially gave up and started clumping them again but with the expectation that our more mature radar systems would give us enough warning to launch any missile that was threatened by an incoming missile.

Now your threat is a wave of tomahawks which even if you've got a giant concrete door will certainly break the door enough where you can't fire the misssle, and will likely destroy the missile and warhead from falling concrete and blast wave. Hence the mission kill.

So now we are left with only submarine and road mobile missiles that act as survivable second strike missiles. And the US doesn't do road mobile missiles. Check out Arms Control Wonk's episode about potential basing modes.

That episode is well worth listening to and features some absolutely crazy basing ideas, like just letting launchers float around the ocean or on barges along the Mississippi

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Did you dudes know we only have one megaton class warhead in the nuclear stockpile anymore? And it's a "measly" 1 megaton gravity bomb at that.

We can still gently caress up Russia but we've left the era of ending humanity way in the past.

This.. saddens me.

Make America Great Again let's start with our nuclear warfare capability.

I know you are being partially sarcastic, but...

Because we discovered blast wave lensing. We found out we could do a ridiculous amount of damage with sub megaton weapons, and carrying multiple smaller rated weapons on MIRV Busses.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Sounds like we need to convert all those tactical class warheads into nuclear EFPs and cassabla howizers

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh poo poo, Arms Control Wonk has a podcast? :eyepop: Can't mash the subscribe button fast enough.

Is there a specific reason why the US decided to not go with road mobile launchers, unlike China & Russia? Are subs + dispersed bombers loaded with nuclear tipped cruise missiles considered "good enough"?

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 26, 2017

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

That episode is well worth listening to and features some absolutely crazy basing ideas, like just letting launchers float around the ocean or on barges along the Mississippi
“The ORCA concept is similar to HYDRA but anchors encapsulate missiles to the coastal seabed. On command, the capsule floats to the surface. The upper part of the capsule is then jettisoned and the missile the launched. The missiles remain in a dormant condition until activated by sonar command.”

MAJOR NEGATIVE FEATURES
• Operability - Inability to Check Status Without Revealing Missile Location
• Arms Control - Use of Ocean Floor Violates Treaties

MAJOR POSITIVE FEATURES
• Endurance - Months
• Public Interface - Minimal
• Environmental Impact - Minimal
• Cost - Low

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The inclusion of the whale is what really ties that illustration together

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Pesticide20 posted:

What about some sort of tank, perhaps one with legs so you could launch from any terrain. A gear between infantry and artillery.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

What about some sort of tank, perhaps one with legs so you could launch from any terrain. A gear between infantry and artillery.

Oh poo poo we need to build an AT-AT that can launch nukes. This is my idea, please don't steal it

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Pesticide20 posted:

Oh poo poo we need to build an AT-AT that can launch nukes. This is my idea, please don't steal it

Metal... Gear?!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Is there a specific reason why the US decided to not go with road mobile launchers, unlike China & Russia? Are subs + dispersed bombers loaded with nuclear tipped cruise missiles considered "good enough"?

Pretty much. The US has naval dominance with good submarines and surface, good Anti-submarine warfare capabilities outside of attack subs alone, and unlike everyone else we also have dozens of airbases around the world.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Carteret posted:

Metal... Gear?!

Real life isn't anime enough IMO.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Look what trump did now: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/03/26/two-girls-barred-from-united-flight-for-wearing-leggings/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Throw on a pair of boxers and move on. Company policy on people using a perk meh.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LingcodKilla posted:

Throw on a pair of boxers and move on. Company policy on people using a perk meh.

the issue is that there's nothing in the policy about leggings and it is literally up to the people at the gate's discretion.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

TBeats posted:

the issue is that there's nothing in the policy about leggings and it is literally up to the people at the gate's discretion.

The rest of the article seemed to go on about how the girls were traveling g under employee family passes which fall under united's dress code which does explicitly prohibit leggings.

Now while I agree leggings aren't pants I'm against the tyranny of pants in general and yoga butts are the future.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

After so much talk about healthcare, war, corruption and espionage, it's great to kick back and get a chance to be outraged about truly meaningless bullshit for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

M_Gargantua posted:

The rest of the article seemed to go on about how the girls were traveling g under employee family passes which fall under united's dress code which does explicitly prohibit leggings.

Now while I agree leggings aren't pants I'm against the tyranny of pants in general and yoga butts are the future.

okay, fair enough.

but their PR department bombed pretty hard at handling this without making it worse.

• Locked thread