Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

That's not how it is at airports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Global entry renewal requires another interview? Great.

I renewed mine a couple of weeks ago and while it said an interview was required, I was renewed without one. Same for my APEC card which I did last week.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ohgodwhat posted:

That's not how it is at airports

Well aware, haha.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

I renewed mine a couple of weeks ago and while it said an interview was required, I was renewed without one. Same for my APEC card which I did last week.

Yeah idk I now have to schedule an interview. As a white middle class male I am absolutely distraught at this inconsequential slight inconvenience at the hands of our government.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Global entry renewal requires another interview? Great.

Mine was done in conjunction with Nexus renewal and took me maybe a minute.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I keep getting hosed on TSA Precheck. Is this a result of new DHS policies or am I just paranoid? I've not gotten it about 4 or 5 domestic trips this year.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've flown every other week this whole year and I've never not gotten it. That seems strange

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Wait you can not get Pre-Check if you paid for it?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
You aren't always guaranteed expedited screening.

quote:

If I am TSA Pre✓® eligible, am I guaranteed expedited screening?

No, TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport. All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening.

edit: my role changed at work and I am back to traveling again! Went from Delta Platinum last year to Silver...this year is going to be fun.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fyallm posted:

Wait you can not get Pre-Check if you paid for it?

Yeah but it's supposed to be rare, I think? I've never heard of anyone not getting it even twice in a year, let alone five times. But I guess if it's truly random that's something that can happen. :rolldice:

Now I'm curious: was it always flying out of the same airport or in different locations?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah but it's supposed to be rare, I think? I've never heard of anyone not getting it even twice in a year, let alone five times. But I guess if it's truly random that's something that can happen. :rolldice:

Now I'm curious: was it always flying out of the same airport or in different locations?

drat, I don't even look I just open my app and show the boarding pass and I guess I have always had it. I guess I should look.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SCOOP: AA deleted the original version of this tweet

https://twitter.com/americanair/status/846467639660724224

because when you put hashtags in front of those airports the Despicable Me guy pops up next to Sao Paulo.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I booked economy on one of those flights and AA appears to have moved me to a PE row. Just gonna stay silent on this one..

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rex-Goliath posted:

The only time I've not had precheck since getting GE was heading back from BRU where I got some SSSS fun. Nothing more than annoying and inconvenient in the end.

If it's not showing up in your res, either your KTN is missing or there is a difference between your ticketed name and the name associated with your KTN/Passport. Middle names and whatnot make a difference there.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Mackieman posted:

The only time I've not had precheck since getting GE was heading back from BRU where I got some SSSS fun. Nothing more than annoying and inconvenient in the end.

If it's not showing up in your res, either your KTN is missing or there is a difference between your ticketed name and the name associated with your KTN/Passport. Middle names and whatnot make a difference there.

Likewise. I've only had SSSS 3-4 times ever. All other times, I have Pre. Never use middle names, ever. Airlines and agents will warn scrubs about how middle names and boarding passes must exactly match the passport, but that is absolutely not true at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm not getting SSSS, it's mostly been on domestic segments from a variety of airports, and my KTN is still in my profile so I'm not sure what's going on. Very heavy international travel this year so maybe I've been flagged for something?

I did get Pre this morning, for the record.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
So I'm going to be 70 status credits short of Qantas gold this year (work sends me economy, even long haul). Should I swap to star alliance? I fly out of Australia, mostly to US and Singapore.

I'm looking for a good lounge network both in Australia and US/South East Asia. Any thoughts?

Work will pay for lounge membership.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What's wrong with Qantas lounges? I have been impressed with their offerings in LAX and HKG. And if you don't like them, you'll have one world status and can hang out at the Cathay lounge. Never been to Singapore though.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Thoguh posted:

My grocery story in flyover country sells about a half dozen different types of Augistiner beers, I bet you could find it if you looked hard enough. I know some distributor is importing it.

A man needs a name.

Seriously, Augustiner Helles is my favorite beer and I will miss it when I leave Germany again here in a couple days.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Arzakon posted:

Thanks, hopefully I can fine one segment to upgrade and even if its 100K+ miles it will probably be worth it to me. I was going to have a nice relaxing $400 flight to Hong Kong for dim sum, cycling, and miles (maybe in that order) and that turned into SEA-HKG-SEA-DTW-GRU-ATL-NRT-SIN-NRT-SEA in 20 days. If I wasn't prepaid on my hotel in HK I'd consider cancelling that. With my rollover I'll make Platinum just on this ticket, and I haven't even started hitting Amex tiers yet.

Did this trip happen yet?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Big Jesus posted:

A man needs a name.

Seriously, Augustiner Helles is my favorite beer and I will miss it when I leave Germany again here in a couple days.

Me too. I've been to a few specialty beer stores around here and can find a bunch of "German" beers, but none of them are Augustiner and none of them are Helles. I need to burn a couple of GUCs with Delta, and was originally thinking South Korea, but I may go back to Germany again just for the beer.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

The Big Jesus posted:

A man needs a name.

If I had to guess, it would be Hy Vee which is an insanely profitable grocery store in the upper Midwest that has - for some reason - one of the best beer selections in the entire country.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Yeah, they have Augistiner and Ayinger half liter singles that I don't see elsewhere very often. TBH I can't remember for sure if I've seen their helles specifically.

Total Wine on the west coast has a pretty solid selection as well. I'd be surprised if they didn't have them as well, I recall them having a whole aisle dedicated to german imports.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're in the Boston area Ball Square Wine and Spirits has Augustinier

edit: on my way to bavaria now, I will think of u fondly biztravgoons

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

pig slut lisa posted:

Did this trip happen yet?

In Hong Kong eating dim sum at 7am and reading forums right now. One more day until one of the hell legs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arzakon posted:

In Hong Kong eating dim sum at 7am and reading forums right now. One more day until one of the hell legs.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're in the Boston area Ball Square Wine and Spirits has Augustinier

edit: on my way to bavaria now, I will think of u fondly biztravgoons

Essen etwas Schnitzel und trinken ein Helles für mich bitte! Danke!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Arzakon posted:

Haha yes. What are the odds on regretposting halfway through.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Arzakon posted:

Please post from Pier F

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arzakon posted:

give me ongoing trip reports please

DJCobol posted:

Essen etwas Schnitzel und trinken ein Helles für mich bitte! Danke!

I did these things, you are welcome.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

give me ongoing trip reports please

You are looking for less touristy information and more hourly updates to witness my rapidly deteriorating mental state, yes?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Arzakon posted:

You are looking for less touristy information and more hourly updates to witness my rapidly deteriorating mental state, yes?

What else is the Internet for? :iiam:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

Thats what I did when I did my stupid TPA-JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-MSP-TPA mileage run a couple of years ago. I broke down somewhere on the return SIN-NRT leg.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arzakon posted:

i want a view in to the mind of a person who's as insane as you are

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I spent a layover night at the Yotel in Heathrow- it's actually pretty cute and functional. The bed was a fine size (I'm 5'6) and it was perfect for a super early morning flight.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Arzakon posted:

Deteriorating mental state and increasingly angry descriptions of your mode of transit work.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Thoguh posted:

Deteriorating mental state and increasingly angry descriptions of your mode of transit work.

Don't worry, it's still better than those plebes stuck in 2 hour traffic from the burbs. Right? right? right..

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

I have been keeping early hours in HK but forced myself to stay up till 10PM so I could wake up at a reasonable time for a 10AM flight.
I woke up at 2.

Also I got a single mosquito bite while hiking the other day, which means whatever I begin to feel later today will surely be due to Japanese Encephalitis setting in and not just exhaustion.

Stay tuned for the reaction when I cannot find a way to snag one of the thirteen empty first class seats on DTW-GRU. Someone have a spare GUC? =D

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arzakon posted:

I have been keeping early hours in HK but forced myself to stay up till 10PM so I could wake up at a reasonable time for a 10AM flight.
I woke up at 2.

AM or PM is pretty important to the outcome of this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Motronic posted:

AM or PM is pretty important to the outcome of this story.

AM, so just tired, not missing my flight. Just a delayed boarding...