Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This popped up in my suggested Youtube feed, and I love that DS9 only has one on this list, but honestly, Meridian and Zero-G girl gets hit on my Julian episodes are way worse than Move Along Home.

I must say the HD clips of Code of Honour look really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e3CRTQ18JI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

willie_dee posted:

Just finished Voyager via the episode guide which means I only watched about 30% of the episodes, very much enjoyed it, far more so than DS9, which felt like it was for children.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nessus posted:

It seems like this level of near-term time fuckery is going to create potential strange problems. What do you do if while you're warping on the outer side of the galactic rift you start being able to spot 'yourself' on the subspace telescope?

Don't look. :smug:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

willie_dee posted:

Just finished Voyager via the episode guide which means I only watched about 30% of the episodes, very much enjoyed it, far more so than DS9, which felt like it was for children.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/845827015097880576

Orv
May 4, 2011
And then some Romulan gets her anyway. :allears:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Those old movie TOS uniforms are my favorite, why would the federation ever change away from something so snappy looking :mad:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're probably really uncomfortable. They look more like dress uniforms than for everyday use.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

twistedmentat posted:

This popped up in my suggested Youtube feed, and I love that DS9 only has one on this list, but honestly, Meridian and Zero-G girl gets hit on my Julian episodes are way worse than Move Along Home.

I must say the HD clips of Code of Honour look really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e3CRTQ18JI

Yeah, Move Along Home is one of the worst DS9 episodes, but it's far from being in the top 10 worst Star Trek episodes of all time. If Move Along Home was a TNG episode (which it really feels like), nobody would even talk about it because there are so many other TNG episodes that are just as mediocre. It just stands out as a DS9 episode because of higher standards.

If any DS9 episode belongs in a top 10 worst Star Trek episode list, my vote goes to Meridian. I could see Let He Who Is Without Sin or Profit and Lace in there as the token DS9 episode instead, though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Those old movie TOS uniforms are my favorite, why would the federation ever change away from something so snappy looking :mad:
Well they used them for like 80 years or something, from ST II to like five years before TNG. Everyone probably got sick of wearing the same uniform their grandpa did.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Knormal posted:

Well they used them for like 80 years or something, from ST II to like five years before TNG. Everyone probably got sick of wearing the same uniform their grandpa did.

Still, it's a bit of an overreaction to change the uniforms 3 times over the course of a decade. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Knormal posted:

The only thing I sorta hate about the later era of that uniform is when they stopped putting the dickie underneath it, so it looks collarless. It's like... I dunno, seeing someone wearing shoes without socks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Drone posted:

The only thing I sorta hate about the later era of that uniform is when they stopped putting the dickie underneath it, so it looks collarless. It's like... I dunno, seeing someone wearing shoes without socks.
I can assure you that a young Will Riker put the dickie underneath his uniform allllll the time.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

willie_dee posted:

You bring dishonor on your house and shame upon the Empire.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

I did a double take when I came across this line the other day. Apparently I didn't notice it the first few times going through season 3.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fister Roboto posted:

They're probably really uncomfortable. They look more like dress uniforms than for everyday use.

So they're designed by the USMC, then.

Anytime I feel like my uniform is a pain, I just remind myself that my service ditched garrison dress years ago, and I feel much better!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I've always wanted to sit in on the meeting at star fleet, where the decision was made to go from the TOS movie uniforms, to the TNG pyjama uniforms in seasons 1 and 2.

I think that change would be enough to get me to quit Star Fleet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And then the meeting 18 months after that where they review all the complaints and decide the one piece isn't working, and it needs to be rejigged.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Bucswabe posted:

I've always wanted to sit in on the meeting at star fleet, where the decision was made to go from the TOS movie uniforms, to the TNG pyjama uniforms in seasons 1 and 2.

You must not be familiar with the US Army.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bucswabe posted:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

It's not just the quilted turtlenecks, but they also didn't use the belts in Yesterday's Enterprise. Without those two components, the Monster Maroons just look like really garish smocks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Was "Meridian" the one with the Brigadoon planet and Dax becoming smitten with the most boring man in the universe?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

willie_dee posted:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Anybody play Elite Dangerous?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDh5ZlM2Sp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zL5x19tEHw

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was "Meridian" the one with the Brigadoon planet and Dax becoming smitten with the most boring man in the universe?

That's the one. It's a horrible episode.

In a strange way, I kind of don't mind "Move Along Home." It's basically a TOS script.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For a long time this is the only reason I've been interested in War of the Roses, which is supposed to be pretty bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DECN_HTrGA

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm more impressed by the fact that you can carry on conversations with the ship and have it carry out commands that aren't strict YES/NO on your part prefaced by "OK GOOGLE" or something like that. If it really works that way it's more intuitive than any other home/cell phone AI unit I've seen. Makes me want to play the game.

I did try it once, but it was a bit boring. Maybe if there were more RPG elements, if you could get out at various space stations and walk around and talk to people. All it seemed to me was you park in a bay, load cargo and/or get missions and then go spacefight or dock somewhere else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

King Hong Kong posted:

That's the one. It's a horrible episode.

In a strange way, I kind of don't mind "Move Along Home." It's basically a TOS script.

Then what was the one with Bashir's flying girlfriend called? I originally thought it was "Meridian" before twistedmentat listed them separately. :confused:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Then what was the one with Bashir's flying girlfriend called? I originally thought it was "Meridian" before twistedmentat listed them separately. :confused:

Melora?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Melora. Also bad.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I almost did a double take at Disneyland today when I saw Gaston they have walking around for the new movie, he looks like he's wearing the movie TOS uniform.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Part of the problem with Meridian, Melora, etc. is that the romance of the week episodes are a contrived way of introducing whatever the episode's substantive science fiction issue or commentary is that more often than not compromises the involved main cast character. It doesn't help when that issue is handled badly or the romance is totally unbelievable. Meridian does all that but without even bothering to come up with a marginally interesting issue.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Neil DeGrasse Tyson really took Cosmos in a new direction

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

When Shaq and B.o.B just won't accept that the Earth isn't flat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yea, they're both the absolute worst of DS9. Move Along Home feels more like a season 1 TGN episode than TOS to me, but it's sorta fun, overall inoffensive. I guess it can be the worst if you want poo poo to be super serious and deadly ALL the time, honestly the game in that would be kind of fun to solve the puzzles, as long as you know that you couldn't die, just lose.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

King Hong Kong posted:

Part of the problem with Meridian, Melora, etc. is that the romance of the week episodes are a contrived way of introducing whatever the episode's substantive science fiction issue or commentary is that more often than not compromises the involved main cast character. It doesn't help when that issue is handled badly or the romance is totally unbelievable. Meridian does all that but without even bothering to come up with a marginally interesting issue.
Melora seems like it could have worked if they had presented the matter with even a slightly increased amount of deftness.

Like have the arc be, "Melora is from a recently-joined Fed planet with low enough gravity that she needs a mobility assist, especially on this ghetto-rigged Cardassian hand-me-down, and she's prickly about it." The easy route there is that she is an ace in a zero-G scene that happens when the gravity breaks for some fuckall reason; a more complex one involves a B plot blowing off the prickliness of Melora's integration. Ideally the plot does not become about Bashir's craving for a musclewoman in a wheelchair. For bonus points, have Melora appear as a throwaway character a couple of times in future episodes.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I guess I must be super wrong in disliking DS9 but enjoying Voyager to prompt all these hilarious gifs!

For some reason I just hated the acting and most of the story lines in DS9, it felt way way more hammy and childish, whereas all the Voyager episodes I watched (not many in the episode guide) were good or at least not any where near as hammy when they were bad.

Should I watch the latest version, Enterprise, with a guide or just watch every episode?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

willie_dee posted:

I guess I must be super wrong in disliking DS9 but enjoying Voyager to prompt all these hilarious gifs!

For some reason I just hated the acting and most of the story lines in DS9, it felt way way more hammy and childish, whereas all the Voyager episodes I watched (not many in the episode guide) were good or at least not any where near as hammy when they were bad.

Should I watch the latest version, Enterprise, with a guide or just watch every episode?

You should probably just stop watching TV and instead experience Bij

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paradoxish posted:

Melora. Also bad.

Melora did give us the Klingon chef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

willie_dee posted:

Well, it seems like you watched all of DS9 but only cherry picked Voyager. 30 episodes out of 172 doesn't sound very good to me, I'm sure you'd hate Voyager if you sat through it sans guide. I'm in season 7 watching all but the most egregiously dumb episodes (since season 4 when I was doing every last one) and I'm starting to get sick of it. The 50 Year Mission book indicates that a lot of the staff was getting bored with it at this point too.