Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I dunno that I really buy Mika suddenly going into a leadership role like that.

On paper I can see how Mika trying to emulate the one person he ever looked up to would make sense, but onscreen it doesn't ring true to me.

I don't know if I really see what Mika did as a leadership role. He basically stood up and said "we're going to continue following Orga's last command, no matter what" - which is entirely in line with his character - and he seems to have committed himself to a suicide mission to ensure that at least some of Tekkadan lives to fulfill that order. This lines up with his previous assertion that if only he killed more guys faster and better, Orga's plans would have worked.

Note that in the actual defense Eugene is the one who is giving all of the commands and encouragement to people. Mika just used his near-mythical status in Tekkadan as Orga's unstoppable right hand to stop them from falling apart long enough for Eugene to take command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There's a possibility that Julietta might do something after Rustal's "I'm exactly the kind of person you hate" talk, but I honestly doubt it. We're on track for an ending where for an everyone dies except the Tekkadan members that got away and started new lives, which is basically just an incredibly costly and bittersweet version of what Orga set out to do in the first place. Except Akihiro. They're gonna kill everyone off dramatically and end the show, and then after the credits it's gonna show the Gusion (who will not have appeared in the episode at all up to the point, because that's how the Gusion rolls during climactic fights) standing on a pile of wrecked Grazes, with a confused Akihiro going "Okay, well I guess I can go through that tunnel now."

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I dunno that I really buy Mika suddenly going into a leadership role like that.

Yelling at people in very simple words to do a thing they were already ordered to do and were in the process of doing before the confusion happened isn't really a leadership role. The only person who gave any orders or showed any leadership in Tekkadan this episode was Eugene. Mika just cowed people.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I saw that more as a broken person goading shellshocked people into a suicidal last resort, because the alternative is death anyway and Mika doesn't care about his own fate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

There's a possibility that Julietta might do something after Rustal's "I'm exactly the kind of person you hate" talk, but I honestly doubt it. We're on track for an ending where for an everyone dies except the Tekkadan members that got away and started new lives, which is basically just an incredibly costly and bittersweet version of what Orga set out to do in the first place. Except Akihiro. They're gonna kill everyone off dramatically and end the show, and then after the credits it's gonna show the Gusion (who will not have appeared in the episode at all up to the point, because that's how the Gusion rolls during climactic fights) standing on a pile of wrecked Grazes, with a confused Akihiro going "Okay, well I guess I can go through that tunnel now."

Yelling at people in very simple words to do a thing they were already ordered to do and were in the process of doing before the confusion happened isn't really a leadership role. The only person who gave any orders or showed any leadership in Tekkadan this episode was Eugene. Mika just cowed people.

And that's exactly what Mika has been doing since Episode One. He's always been Orga's fist, now he's just doing it when Orga isn't around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kanos posted:

I don't know if I really see what Mika did as a leadership role. He basically stood up and said "we're going to continue following Orga's last command, no matter what" - which is entirely in line with his character - and he seems to have committed himself to a suicide mission to ensure that at least some of Tekkadan lives to fulfill that order. This lines up with his previous assertion that if only he killed more guys faster and better, Orga's plans would have worked.

Note that in the actual defense Eugene is the one who is giving all of the commands and encouragement to people. Mika just used his near-mythical status in Tekkadan as Orga's unstoppable right hand to stop them from falling apart long enough for Eugene to take command.
Being able to give tactical orders is not the only thing a leader does- obviously I'm not saying Mika was doing that. Motivating people and keeping them motivated though is in fact an insanely important part of leading groups of people, especially in the face of tragedy where emotions run high.

Psycho Landlord posted:

The lesser Tekkadan members not were not in the process of doing what they were supposed to do at the moment. That's the whole point of the beginning of the episode- they were itching to throw their plan away to get revenge against Gjallarhorn, despite not even knowing for sure that they were the ones responsible for killing Orga. This was ignoring basically everything Orga wanted to actually accomplish at the end- get as many people to survive and live and laugh happily together and so on.

Mika's big speech was about talking these people out of an impulsively suicidal revenge mission.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, do you think generals in armies actually do all the strategic mapping and maintenance on arms? A leader is more about keeping a group together and being functional, while making the executive decision that everyone has to follow or else it's just chaos.

NBA coaches don't do all the X and 0's and teach the young players how to play. That's what assistants do. They just make it all work together that goes beyond the nitty gritty.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Raxivace posted:

The lesser Tekkadan members not were not in the process of doing what they were supposed to do at the moment. That's the whole point of the beginning of the episode- they were itching to throw their plan away to get revenge against Gjallarhorn, despite not even knowing for sure that they were the ones responsible for killing Orga. This was ignoring basically everything Orga wanted to actually accomplish at the end- get as many people to survive and live and laugh happily together and so on.

Mika's big speech was about talking these people out of an impulsively suicidal revenge mission.

Orga dying was what created the confusion that he snapped them out of. Before that point, they were on track to make contact through the tunnel and attempt to evacuate through it. That is what I said.

Mika's been Orga's yes man since episode one and has publicly told other people to follow whatever orders Orga gave them on several occasions during crisis moments. That's exactly what he did here, for the final time. The only difference is he made sure everyone could hear him before he belted out his usual rhetoric. It's really not that much of a stretch, nor is it a surprise move for his character. He didn't suddenly turn into McArthur between Eps.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Errybody gonna die

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I have a feeling something much bigger than Arianrod is about to happen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I have a feeling something much bigger than Arianrod is about to happen.

In one episode?

Dangerous Person posted:

Errybody gonna die

Well Iok and Gaelio are pretty much guaranteed survival. Iok was injured by McGillis and needs to recover so he is out of the final battle. Kimaris was heavily damaged so Gaelio can't fight in the final battle.
So it is likely just going to be a victory for Arianrhod

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 26, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think people have been underestimating Mika. From the beginning, it has always been Mika's choice to rely on Orga. And he's gone against Orga's orders before. Mika is smart and practical. It's like Mika himself said in the cockpit, he knows what Orga's orders would've been.

Mika going catatonic or flipping out and getting himself killed for revenge would've been far more out of character than what he did this episode.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Well, Hush did his best to keep his promise. Aside from getting jumped, he didn't do anything un-cool with Lafter's machine.

Any bets on what Arianrhod's mechanic meant by "the special troops" heading out? More dainsleifs?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lock Knight posted:

Well, Hush did his best to keep his promise. Aside from getting jumped, he didn't do anything un-cool with Lafter's machine.

Any bets on what Arianrhod's mechanic meant by "the special troops" heading out? More dainsleifs?

Well, we do know that Dainsleif-compatible railguns work decently well in atmosphere, though they're most suited to zero-G combat where cover isn't a thing that exists. It's a potential option, but I wonder if we might be looking at something else. A secret Alaya-Vijnana brigade? Rustal wouldn't convert Julietta against her will, but he might have had a few other willing volunteers.

I also wonder what Julietta herself will be flying. The Julia is (a) totally trashed, and (b) useless on the ground. Maybe that rumour about a rebuilt, modified Flauros will have something to it? That would also work with the 'Dainsleif brigade' idea.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I got a big old laugh out of how the start of the episode showed McGillis was 100% in the clear regarding Orga since nearly everyone in this thread was pinning it on him super hard.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I wonder if McGillis would actually manage to murder Rustal if Gali wasn't there. He seemed to be doing real well before purple boy showed up with his robot boyfriend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overlord K posted:

I got a big old laugh out of how the start of the episode showed McGillis was 100% in the clear regarding Orga since nearly everyone in this thread was pinning it on him super hard.

To be honest I'm not thrilled by it. McGillis ended up being a lot more of a boring character than I expected. He's not precisely boring but for someone who they spend the entire series building up he's super one-note and had very very little to actually do with Tekkadan on a character level. He's basically just there for Gaelio's plot which is fine but leaves him feeling really thin at the end of the day.

I was wrong but as good as his final scene was I think he ended up being a kinda meh character.

Edit: That isn't fair really. Everything with him and Gaelio is good if basically being Char again but with a Garma that survives and is pissed off at him. Everything involving him and Tekkadan is like "oh, okay, this guy just basically coasts along this plot."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 27, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So is the next episode the last one? Seems like there's still a lot to cover, unless they go to a third season or movie.

Before I realised how little was left, I thought we might get a Bael Vidar Kimaris FrankenGundam.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

BizarroAzrael posted:

So is the next episode the last one? Seems like there's still a lot to cover, unless they go to a third season or movie.

Before I realised how little was left, I thought we might get a Bael Vidar Kimaris FrankenGundam.

episode 50 is last and it ends with Iok being crowned King of Mars while standing on top of everyone else's corpses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Next week is the last episode, barring the sudden announcement of an OAV/movie followup but I don't believe there have been any whispers of that while it was an open secret with 00.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
All that's really left to resolve is the current fight after Julietta joins in, and then seeing who manages to survive. And possibly some last minute murders.

Unless Kudelia has a secret revolutionary army to pull out of her rear end at the last minute.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

paragon1 posted:

All that's really left to resolve is the current fight after Julietta joins in, and then seeing who manages to survive. And possibly some last minute murders.

Unless Kudelia has a secret revolutionary army to pull out of her rear end at the last minute.

The final shot is Gaelio, Rustal, Iok and Julietta meeting to discuss the future after the destruction of Tekkadan. Their ship vanishes in a nuclear explosion. Cut to Kudelia smiling. End series.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The final shot is Gaelio, Rustal, Iok and Julietta meeting to discuss the future after the destruction of Tekkadan. Their ship vanishes in a nuclear explosion. Cut to Kudelia smiling. End series.

After the credits, she takes off her wig and mask, revealing Lacus Clyne.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they kind of deserve it in that they utterly outplayed their enemies.

does it count as outplaying when it's largely built on a hilarious amount of plot armor?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

GimmickMan posted:

After the credits, she takes off her wig and mask, revealing Lacus Clyne Bisquit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

does it count as outplaying when it's largely built on a hilarious amount of plot armor?

I don't know. I don't really think there's any plot armor in defeating a single unaided mobile suit when you have an entire army.

Like there's genuinely no reason McGillis should have won. He didn't even do a clever tactic he just charged at them in a single mobile suit after using his carrier to get relatively close.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know. I don't really think there's any plot armor in defeating a single unaided mobile suit when you have an entire army.

I mainly mean in the sense that Rustal got handed a 100% perfect counter to McGillis' insurrection in the form of Gaelio stupidly surviving.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mainly mean in the sense that Rustal got handed a 100% perfect counter to McGillis' insurrection in the form of Gaelio stupidly surviving.

Well, even without Gaelio, he's been playing it pretty much perfectly. He genuinely hasn't made any real mistakes or arrogant oversteps and had made the right calls in terms of how to distribute his forces and back his enemies into a corner. Gaelio countering McGillis is absolutely in his favor but it isn't like it is unjustified except for the bullshit of Gaelio surviving. (And the end of S1 is nonstop bullshit survival so that's pretty evenly distributed plot armor.)

It isn't like things suddenly stopped working or the plot bullshitted to allow things to happen that normally wouldn't. Rustal just genuinely is outplaying everyone. It sucks because he's a giant shithead but it doesn't feel ill-earned. (Or if it did then he's up against Tekkadan's fairly significant plot armor themselves.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

We're not in Gundam-directly-stabbed-cockpit-explodes-no-wait-I turned off the nuclear reactor I'm fine-territory yet.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'm not thrilled by it. McGillis ended up being a lot more of a boring character than I expected. He's not precisely boring but for someone who they spend the entire series building up he's super one-note and had very very little to actually do with Tekkadan on a character level. He's basically just there for Gaelio's plot which is fine but leaves him feeling really thin at the end of the day.

I was wrong but as good as his final scene was I think he ended up being a kinda meh character.

Edit: That isn't fair really. Everything with him and Gaelio is good if basically being Char again but with a Garma that survives and is pissed off at him. Everything involving him and Tekkadan is like "oh, okay, this guy just basically coasts along this plot."

I don't know if McGillis is a "good" character, but he was super enjoyable to watch, mainly because of all the stuff that makes him not a good character to you. At least for Gundam fans. Look back through the thread, everyone, myself included, was just waiting for him to betray everyone. Expecting his great plan to be revealed. But instead he was what he was.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Well, even without Gaelio, he's been playing it pretty much perfectly. He genuinely hasn't made any real mistakes or arrogant oversteps and had made the right calls in terms of how to distribute his forces and back his enemies into a corner. Gaelio countering McGillis is absolutely in his favor but it isn't like it is unjustified except for the bullshit of Gaelio surviving. (And the end of S1 is nonstop bullshit survival so that's pretty evenly distributed plot armor.)

It isn't like things suddenly stopped working or the plot bullshitted to allow things to happen that normally wouldn't. Rustal just genuinely is outplaying everyone. It sucks because he's a giant shithead but it doesn't feel ill-earned. (Or if it did then he's up against Tekkadan's fairly significant plot armor themselves.)

Rustal has been making good tactical decisions but at the end of day it's hard to not feel as if the outcome wasn't largely decided by Gaelio surviving. His presence alone forced McGillis to act faster than likely planned, and then blocked him when he made his power play, putting McGillis and Tekkadan on the backfoot from the get-go in terms of numbers. It reeked as lazy, hack writing when Vidar was first introduced and it only got worse as he played his part. It's like Okada wanted a particular outcome but wasn't creative enough to reach it without giving one side an I-Win button. Which is really weird because McGillis not being a real Seven Stars seemed like it could have served the same purpose as Gaelio surviving, but she decided that had to be used to deliver a different blow.

It's just...not good to me, and truth be told I'm more just getting my thoughts out there rather than debating on it. It's just bad storytelling to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Rustal has been making good tactical decisions but at the end of day it's hard to not feel as if the outcome wasn't largely decided by Gaelio surviving. His presence alone forced McGillis to act faster than likely planned, and then blocked him when he made his power play, putting McGillis and Tekkadan on the backfoot from the get-go in terms of numbers. It reeked as lazy, hack writing when Vidar was first introduced and it only got worse as he played his part. It's like Okada wanted a particular outcome but wasn't creative enough to reach it without giving one side an I-Win button. Which is really weird because McGillis not being a real Seven Stars seemed like it could have served the same purpose as Gaelio surviving, but she decided that had to be used to deliver a different blow.

It's just...not good to me, and truth be told I'm more just getting my thoughts out there rather than debating on it. It's just bad storytelling to me.

Well, I think Gaelio surviving was pretty bullshit and made no real sense so I won't disagree with you there. I think it's sort of a problem IBO has in total where it has things that it wants to happen and isn't particularly good about making them feel natural. It's why every cast member basically has a I Am Going To Die Now episode or people basically show up semi-randomly so events can occur. McGillis basically has the most justified death but even here like... Gaelio got out of his Gundam and then shoved his mask back on for no real clear reason just so he could tank a bullet from McGillis because sure why not?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They really went all out in the animation during Gaelio's and McGillis' big Lelouch/Suzaku-esque reunion

One last episode to wrap things up, but in general, this series contains alot of the germs of really good stories, but didn't follow them up and instead focused on the rise-and-fall of Orga and McGillis. I really wanted to see the economic blocs rebelling against Gjallarhorn, or the original crusade by Agnika against the MAs, but instead it became about two guys (who could really use more development) taking insane gambles against the sheer might of the Arianrhod fleet. Most Gundam shows are about overturning the status quo, but in this one, the situation is even worse for the Tekkadan kids than before.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I expect next week to be the last episode, but keep in mind there was no hints or reason to believe a 2nd season would happen either.

I don't know what a 3rd season could even cover, but the fact that we haven't heard anything doesn't really tilt things either way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean the only thing I know about Mari Okada is Tora Dora so maybe she should just stick to light novel adaptations next time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I expect next week to be the last episode, but keep in mind there was no hints or reason to believe a 2nd season would happen either.

Eh, the second season was rumored for a while. A third season isn't impossible but it would be a first and they've gone pretty slaughter-happy with the cast at this point.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It would be weird to have a third season given that the principal cast is getting killed off one-by-one, and there's nobody really lined up to form a new core cast. Not that they couldn't tell a story with a new cast and a few returnees.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I think they've written themselves into ending it here. To keep Tekkadan intact as a force to drive any further plot the writers would have to interrupt the "get your rear end from Mars and get new lives" path that Tekkadan is on while somehow preventing Rustal from wiping them out, and that would be a pulled punch even moreso than the end of season one. A new cast would have to get their hands on another Gundam frame, but I guess they could dig one out of the ground or gank one from a bunch of space pirates. A third option is that Tekkadan escapes as planned, we have another time skip, and then somehow they get called back into action to protect Kudelia from an external threat (maybe the Nobliss showdown that we were kind of expecting), but we have to either find another Gundam for Mika or sneak Barbatos back to earth and keep it hidden for years.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I think Gaelio surviving was pretty bullshit and made no real sense so I won't disagree with you there. I think it's sort of a problem IBO has in total where it has things that it wants to happen and isn't particularly good about making them feel natural. It's why every cast member basically has a I Am Going To Die Now episode or people basically show up semi-randomly so events can occur. McGillis basically has the most justified death but even here like... Gaelio got out of his Gundam and then shoved his mask back on for no real clear reason just so he could tank a bullet from McGillis because sure why not?

i think that putting on a helmet that you have on hand anyways before going after someone who probably has a gun is a completely reasonable decision

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

ImpAtom posted:

He's exactly as crazy as Char is, only without the good sense to not go slamming directly into every conflict at full speed. It's fun to see an inept Char that's actually written as a true one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RottenK posted:

i think that putting on a helmet that you have on hand anyways before going after someone who probably has a gun is a completely reasonable decision

He doesn't have his helmet onhand though. He explicitly got rid of it and wasn't using it anymore, unless he shoved it into his cockpit and kept it around just in case he needed to dramatically put it back on.

• Locked thread