Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

A MIRACLE posted:

Snowpiercer was bad

Thank Christ, for a while I thought I was the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snowpiercer was all right. Worth a watch for sure. People build it up too much though. Maybe it's just a Korean train movie thing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Nihonniboku posted:

It was okay.

the full spectrum of human opinions

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I finally finished Wilfred. It's so drat good, and so drat sad.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I spent the entire day finishing Rectify. I can't imagine anything could ever compare to it. Television doesn't normally make me well up like that.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

My favorite South Korean movie is still Thirst (dir. Park Chan-Wook, the guy that did Oldboy)

This is a pro loving pick.

T
H
I
R
S
T

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sarchasm posted:

T
H
I
R
S
T

I love that director, but he is not for everyone. That said, Seconded.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sarchasm posted:

T
H
I
R
S
T

Thirst is one of the most amazingly well-rounded films I've ever seen. It hits every single emotion you can experience while consuming art, and it does so skillfully. The movie is beautiful, original, and absolutely full of moments that I can fondly recall years after I have first seen it. It's easily the best South Korean horror-comedy-romance-tragedy-action-thriller-supernatural-gore film I've ever seen.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Chichevache posted:

Thirst is one of the most amazingly well-rounded films I've ever seen. It hits every single emotion you can experience while consuming art, and it does so skillfully. The movie is beautiful, original, and absolutely full of moments that I can fondly recall years after I have first seen it. It's easily the best South Korean horror-comedy-romance-tragedy-action-thriller-supernatural-gore film I've ever seen.

Kids hate it!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Junkie Disease posted:

Kids hate it!

Those kids suck. :drac:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched like 4 episodes of Baskets while I was stuck in a Zelda dungeon tonight. I'm really not sure if I like it or not. Sometimes it reminds me of a really depressing Napoleon Dynamite, except funnier but that isn't saying much. Louie Anderson as his mom is great though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Happy Valley doesn't really live up to its name, but it's a really loving good crime drama. What are some other good dramas in the vein of Twin Peaks/Broadchurch/Happy Valley etc?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

tweet my meat posted:

The Wailing honestly might have made it into my personal top 10 list for my best movies of 2016, American movies included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxjp2YIk798
http://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/57336/the-ending-of-the-wailing-2016
This is a pretty great basic breakdown of the plot, and this stack exchange thread goes into a lot of the Christian themes and while I didn't think all of the theories were spot on, there was definitely a lot there that I didn't notice and it really got me thinking about it.

Finally got around to reading/watching these links. Wow. I can't believe how much I didn't get about the movie. I'm officially changing my opinion on the ending! Thanks!

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

veni veni veni posted:

I watched like 4 episodes of Baskets while I was stuck in a Zelda dungeon tonight. I'm really not sure if I like it or not. Sometimes it reminds me of a really depressing Napoleon Dynamite, except funnier but that isn't saying much. Louie Anderson as his mom is great though.

I watched it with my wife and thought it was good. There's a few really brilliant episodes (I think ep 4 Easter in Bakersfield and ep 9 picnic were my favorites).

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Chichevache posted:

For sure, Thirst is pretty high up on my favorite movies list. Psychologically disturbing hosed up "horror" genre is my poo poo (aka lots of the films shown at Fantastic Fest)

More from Korea: Vengeance trilogy (well... duh), The Host, The Man From Nowhere, Assassination, Okja (latest kaiju/monster movie from director of The Host/Snowpiercer), The Wailing, Moebius, I Saw The Devil

e: Okja is gonna come out later this year actually, whoops misread that it was gonna be streaming this month :(

air- fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 26, 2017

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tweet my meat posted:

Happy Valley doesn't really live up to its name, but it's a really loving good crime drama. What are some other good dramas in the vein of Twin Peaks/Broadchurch/Happy Valley etc?

Hinterland is what you're looking for, Top of the Lake is good too. Hinterland has the distinction of being the only British crime drama of the last few years which actually had a good second season. Both are on the 'flix.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 26, 2017

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

I love that director, but he is not for everyone. That said, Seconded.

THIRST IS MY poo poo. Third-ed?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

Trapped was fantastic, and is on Netflix.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Short Penguin posted:

THIRST IS MY poo poo. Third-ed?

Thirsted.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sarchasm posted:

T
H
I
R
S
T

So we're recommending stuff that isn't on streaming?

Actual suggestions (though Thirst is definitely worth paying to rent, it's an amazing movie):

The Host - monster movie, pretty funny too.
A Hard Day - Dirty cops runs someone over, scrambles to hide the evidence. Very tense.
Old Boy - If you haven't seen this yet for some reason, watch it now.
New World - (on Hulu), gangster flick

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 26, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of Park Chan-Wook, The Handmaiden is available to rent on Prime. I'll watch it later today and report back probably.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

precision posted:

Speaking of Park Chan-Wook, The Handmaiden is available to rent on Prime. I'll watch it later today and report back probably.

Brilliant movie as well. I feel like I should watch it again and again (already seen it twice) since it has so much to take in.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

air- posted:

Brilliant movie as well. I feel like I should watch it again and again (already seen it twice) since it has so much to take in.

Yeah, I watched that one more or less by accident because I was on a "weird asian movies" spree, and it kind of blew me away by how legitimately good it was. It was still pretty drat weird at times, but in a really good way.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

So Dirk Gently is co-created with Netflix, but if you live in the US you can't watch it? :psyduck:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

When the hell is the Yellow Sea returning to streaming?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
What's the name of the Korean film in which a guy lives on a small island in the middle of a river, makes shelter out of stuff he finds, grows food and communicates from afar with a girl that lives in an apt building on the mainland?

Really wanna see that one again.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

pahuyuth posted:

What's the name of the Korean film in which a guy lives on a small island in the middle of a river, makes shelter out of stuff he finds, grows food and communicates from afar with a girl that lives in an apt building on the mainland?

Castaway on the Moon? I literally copied and pasted your question into google and that's what I got. It looks interesting lol

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

Yeah, it's Castaway in the Moon and it's great.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yes! Really beautiful and touching film and surprisingly funny and romantic.
I'll watch Tom Hanks' Castaway whenever it is on, but Castaway on The Moon shits all over the former in every way.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 26, 2017

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is Rectify on any steaming services?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is Rectify on any steaming services?

Yep, all 4 seasons are on Netflix.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Junkie Disease posted:

When the hell is the Yellow Sea returning to streaming?

I just bought it from Amazon. It is my favorite Korean movie.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Castaway on the Moon is amazing and definitely worth watching if you can find it anywhere, I wish it was still up on netflix.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So we're recommending stuff that isn't on streaming?

:jerkbag:

I thought it was free through Amazon Prime, my mistake.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Good Thomas Cruise movies on 'flix or prime?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm not a huge anime guy but One Punch man is great for how it doesn't dick around with certain recurring tropes. Particularly the one where Verylarge Badguy is invincible and the hero has to Train A Lot or just Learn Very Important Lesson to defeat him. Saitama is less like the hero of the show and more like a guy who has an anime happening in his vicinity. They do a great job in the early episodes of beating it into you that, no, this is not going to be like anything else you've watched.

Episode 1: Ah, I get it. So this is going to be about him trying to find a worthy opponent, huh? Alright, that's different, I guess.

Episode 2: Aaaaaah. So sure he can beat anyone in one punch but he's going to have trouble with a swarm of mosquit-- oh, well, never mind.

Episode 2-3: Ah ha! So they're setting up a recurring villain type character, eh? So I guess they'll bring this guy back in...okay, never mind.

Episode 4: Okay, this time I got it. He's super strong but he's going to have trouble with this guy who's much faster than-- ... ... okay, okay I get it now and I'm shutting up.

Might also be a good show to watch to wash the taste of Iron Fist out of your mouth if you just wanted to watch somebody punch things really hard.

Edit: First saw it with the English dubbing and I'm not against subtitles but I think I prefer the dub. The English voice actor has a blase sort of tone for most of it that works really well.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 27, 2017

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

drunken officeparty posted:

Good Thomas Cruise movies on 'flix or prime?

I wanna say Prime has all the Mission Impossible movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I wanna say Prime has all the Mission Impossible movies.

Just the first one and Rogue Nation, but both are fun. It's also got Top Gun and The Firm. The former is a classic, the latter I haven't seen so can't comment. Vanilla Sky and The Last Samurai on Netflix both have their charms.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Mission Impossibles come and go from streaming a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Vanilla Sky has not aged well, and it's hard to pinpoint why, but at the time it was one of the best films I had ever seen in my life. Blew the original out of the water.