Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Social Media posted:

You can always hope to be around when someone quits the league and gives all their stuff away. Someone in the guild got a Chayula's Presence and a Shav's that way.

that was me last league. it owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014
doesn't everyone just give all their stuff to funman every league?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i delete mine when i'm done

Hauki
May 11, 2010

panda clue posted:

doesn't everyone just give all their stuff to funman every league?

pretty much

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So I'm Facebreaker Warchiefs as a Champion, I started putting effort in to this character again and now I'm at a point where virtually the only possible improvements to my gear are legacy facebreakers (20ex+), better jewels (ideally damage/totem damage/area damage/melee damage which don't exist on poe.trade but if anyone has one I will pay multiple exalts), and better flasks (which I'm still thinking on). I finally ran the numbers against Chieftain in PoB and champion does more dps than Chieftain. I feel safe enough now to call this a Good Build and suggest others play it as-is.

Pros:
Incredible damage even on a 5L (300k+ boss DPS listed in PoB, which seems low compared to in-game TTK)
Budget version is hardly any weaker, has arguably better survivability, and is very cheap to get started
Very safe, strong defenses, can't facetank but easy to survive on
Viable for literally anything as long as you keep avoiding telegraphed attacks

Cons:
You don't get movespeed on boots
Only two non-uniques means very little flexibility in gear, obviously not SSF viable
Relatively low max life pool (~5500-5800 at best)
Barely resist capped, needs to play careful in Elemental Weakness

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/benh1987/characters

Why is Champion so good?
This originally was in inaccurate description of how Inspirational double-dips, it doesn't do it the way I explained. In short, Champion gives you ~78% increased damage which double-dips DoTs and perma-Fortify, which goes a very long way toward making you feel invincible with Abyssus + Coil + Taste of Hate if you have it.

Berserker may or may not be higher DPS (I haven't tested) but I don't think anything will beat Champion's ability to shrug off hits in this build and I personally value that more than extra damage.

NECESSARY GEAR:
Facebreakers
(Legacy) Meginord's Girdle (Technically not required, but legacy Meginord's is 10c or less and the strongest option for the slot)
Lightning Coil (RRRBBG 6L or RRRBG 5L)
Abyssus
Voidheart
Le Heup with high resists/attributes
Tukohama's (Most expensive item at ~7ex, budget version explained below uses a different shield)

Tri-res boots (with high Lightning Resist)
Amulet with attributes and very high lightning res (mine is 42% lightning 16% all)

Budget Version
Instead of Tukohama's, get a Trolltimber for like 1c. It's really good, but instead of going to the southwest for Blood Magic, you can either drop all of the regen too and take Vaal Pact, or you can mix regen and non-VP leech while going north to the Templar area damage node to get some damage + a lot of life along the way.This is hardly a DPS loss because instead of a third totem you can easily run Hatred and Herald of Ash. With Tukohama's you're locked into either HoA or neither.

If you have a 5L Coil instead of 6L, drop Elemental Focus and try to pick up a 5% ignite node somewhere - there's one right next to the templar area damage node.

Pro Survival Tip:Coil + Taste of Hate, have your lightning res be your lowest uncapped and use Wise Oak to reduce lightning damage taken.

Note: The Champion Taunt nodes don't work on totems and shouldn't be taken

Updated tooltip DPS after buying flasks:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 28, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I think whispering ice div cards are buffed to drop like candy. I already had one from cardiro but picked up a full set of cards just from leveling 3 dudes through the story. traded in and got 18%. 6s in 5 jewellers. bam build done.

so yeah, other ssf peeps, there's a build you can play pretty easily.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Looks like I got purged - can I get a reinvite on CramSlamNasty plz?

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Asked in guildchat to be sure that MoM didn't work with CI but anyone know why steelmage has it on his CI VaalFireball build?? Or is he just trolling?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

madstrike posted:

Asked in guildchat to be sure that MoM didn't work with CI but anyone know why steelmage has it on his CI VaalFireball build?? Or is he just trolling?

for the mana nodes behind it?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'd consider hardcore SSF for a change of pace but not until stuff like this can't happen. Unless I was getting paid to play like streamers. Some real challenging and fun game play right here.

https://gfycat.com/UncommonAngryImago

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

I'd consider hardcore SSF for a change of pace but not until stuff like this can't happen. Unless I was getting paid to play like streamers.

Annoying but it was his own fault tbh. He logged out or some poo poo and it breaks the stormcall graphics when you come back.

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Why is Champion so good?
Here's why:
Inspirational
You and nearby Allies deal 35% increased Damage

You deal 35% increased damage - this increases my personal damage, which increases my totem damage
Nearby Allies deal 35% increased damage - Okay, so since totems are considered allies, this is now double-dipping on to them. They're getting the 35% applied to me and the additional 35% applied to them.

Pretty sure it doesn't work like this. Totems can't benefit from offensive auras, only defensive ones (inspirational is an aura).

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
I need advice on Crit vs Non-Crit for a Raider HOWA build.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Boozie posted:

I need advice on Crit vs Non-Crit for a Raider HOWA build.

Rule of thumb is to not go crit if you dont need the damge. HOWA doesnt need the damage.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

I'd consider hardcore SSF for a change of pace but not until stuff like this can't happen. Unless I was getting paid to play like streamers. Some real challenging and fun game play right here.

Time freezes if there are no players within ~2 screens of an event. If you log out near a storm call or other ground effects, make sure you allow it time to go off before you run over where it was.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Kild posted:

Annoying but it was his own fault tbh. He logged out or some poo poo and it breaks the stormcall graphics when you come back.

How is the game being buggy his own fault?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eezee posted:

How is the game being buggy his own fault?

It's a very well known and easily avoidable bug. It's also caused specifically by a player logging out from danger.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

so wait people can use logout macros to save their rear end in HC?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rap music posted:

so wait people can use logout macros to save their rear end in HC?
Yes, it is legal, and the game is pretty much built around the existence of logout switch. HC players without logout macro are either starting out or are some weird video game baptists exercising in mental gymnastics before they die like clowns, clicking through menu or otherwise.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Welp, this is the 3rd time I've died to Cruel Izaro (at only the second trial) with my level 62 berserker, so something's definitely wrong with axe-train. I've been doing eva/armor gear for a while and that's probably what's not working, but I have no idea how much damage I should be doing at this point. Here's what I'm running at the moment (character in question's name is GhostofJohnCreasy) and the only thing I'm planning on doing for sure on my passive tree is getting Iron Reflexes. I'm worried at this point that I've put too much emphasis on using axes :ohdear:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, it is legal, and the game is pretty much built around the existence of logout switch. HC players without logout macro are either starting out or are some weird video game baptists exercising in mental gymnastics before they die like clowns, clicking through menu or otherwise.

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of HC? That said, I have died to dropped frames plenty of times but I just figured it was my lovely computer.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

rap music posted:

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of HC?

I consider myself as someone having pretty great reactionspeed, and I still die all the time before I can log out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

I consider myself as someone having pretty great reactionspeed, and I still die all the time before I can log out.
Yeah, I play fair share of twitchy games, and I still die often. Logout macro for me mainly is a way to escape performance issues.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

scuz posted:

Welp, this is the 3rd time I've died to Cruel Izaro (at only the second trial) with my level 62 berserker, so something's definitely wrong with axe-train. I've been doing eva/armor gear for a while and that's probably what's not working, but I have no idea how much damage I should be doing at this point. Here's what I'm running at the moment (character in question's name is GhostofJohnCreasy) and the only thing I'm planning on doing for sure on my passive tree is getting Iron Reflexes. I'm worried at this point that I've put too much emphasis on using axes :ohdear:

The first thing that sticks out to me is your flasks. You should have at least one instant life pot for emergencies, and you should use some sort of defensive flask. 4 life flasks is too many. I would suggest a granite or stibnite early on. Basalt becomes better than granite in maps. I also wouldn't use life leech gem on dual strike. You'd be better off with more dps. Killing faster means less time to gently caress up.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, I play fair share of twitchy games, and I still die often. Logout macro for me mainly is a way to escape performance issues.

I think 90% of the times I've logged out this league has been "Ok, I'm out of flasks, this is going to get nasty. I'll just log out and reset". Basically safer out than trying to fat-finger a portal while stressed.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

The first thing that sticks out to me is your flasks. You should have at least one instant life pot for emergencies, and you should use some sort of defensive flask. 4 life flasks is too many. I would suggest a granite or stibnite early on. Basalt becomes better than granite in maps. I also wouldn't use life leech gem on dual strike. You'd be better off with more dps. Killing faster means less time to gently caress up.
Flasks have always mystified me so thank you for the guidance! What sort of gemming should I be running with Dual Strike? Should I start mixing in some elemental damage?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

scuz posted:

Flasks have always mystified me so thank you for the guidance! What sort of gemming should I be running with Dual Strike? Should I start mixing in some elemental damage?

For a 4link, your best bet would probably be Dual strike -> multistrike -> melee physical damage -> added fire. If you want to be able to deal aoe damage, you'd use dual strike -> multistrike -> melee physical damage -> melee splash.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

For a 4link, your best bet would probably be Dual strike -> multistrike -> melee physical damage -> added fire. If you want to be able to deal aoe damage, you'd use dual strike -> multistrike -> melee physical damage -> melee splash.
Oooo, that sounds fun. I have cleave for AOE, but I'll try out melee splash and see how I like that.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I was talking about this last night in gchat and someone wanted me to post it in discord but i forgot, so here it is in the thread.

ProjectPT turns off all the tutorials, sits next to his friend whose never played an ARPG before and watches him play POE. It goes about as well as expected (hint: he doesn't know to pick up the starting weapon and proceeds to spend 10 minutes punching zombies)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheRat posted:

It's a very well known and easily avoidable bug. It's also caused specifically by a player logging out from danger.

Ahh yes, just don't trigger this bug and you'll be fine. Great game play!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Ahh yes, just don't trigger this bug and you'll be fine. Great game play!

I've got like 7000 hours played and I've never died to this bug. I think you might be overstating how much of a problem it is. And yeah, if you choose to use logouts to avoid death, you should also use your loving head and avoid the problems that comes with.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I got kicked from the guild after being out of the country on vacation for a week. Can I get re-invited? Thanks.

DirtyOldFart

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I can't quote you cause your link is way too loving long lechtansi but that video is misleading. It should be titled "Person who never plays video games but says they do playing poe". Your average gamer will at least know to equip a weapon. Might as well have put donald trump in front of the video game he would perform the same and you can't call him an average gamer. And I'm surprised projectpt has a friend.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Also, what's the point of deliberately turning off tutorials from a person who has no clue whats going on?

Books On Tape posted:

I got kicked from the guild after being out of the country on vacation for a week. Can I get re-invited? Thanks.

DirtyOldFart

Sent

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Honestly if people are going to log out to avoid danger in HC, maybe they should just play softcore? Seems logical to me

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Honestly if people are going to log out to avoid danger in HC, maybe they should just play softcore? Seems logical to me

The game is balanced around the ability to log out.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I get that it is and that its a specifically stated developer intention, but why not just an instant back to town button? Fumbling with a menu to click the logout button or using a third party app to do it for you seems like inelegant design. I think a lot of players see exiting the game as an action that exists outside the rules of the game itself and so they find it hard to accept that its truly intentional.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

It wasnt really a design choice originally. The game used to struggle with massive desync issues, so you sort of had to allow logouts to be a thing for it to be playable on HC. Slowly they started balancing around people logging out and it's kind of hard to go back without a massive revamp of how everything works.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

I get that it is and that its a specifically stated developer intention, but why not just an instant back to town button? Fumbling with a menu to click the logout button or using a third party app to do it for you seems like inelegant design. I think a lot of players see exiting the game as an action that exists outside the rules of the game itself and so they find it hard to accept that its truly intentional.
There is one, it is just a bit slow.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Maybe you can play on softcore if you want to log out to avoid danger. I know, it seems nonintuitive for you, but just think about it.

Hardcore is more about, I don't know, risk and facing danger, not downloading a macro to quit the game for you if you're about to die. Then you're just playing SC with a small chance to delete your character if you forget to turn your macro on or get oneshot by not reading mob types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Maybe you can play on softcore if you want to log out to avoid danger. I know, it seems nonintuitive for you, but just think about it.

Hardcore is more about, I don't know, risk and facing danger, not downloading a macro to quit the game for you if you're about to die. Then you're just playing SC with a small chance to delete your character if you forget to turn your macro on or get oneshot by not reading mob types

Tell me more, this seems like an interesting and original viewpoint.

• Locked thread