Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

skooma512 posted:

Well, it seems like you watched all of DS9 but only cherry picked Voyager. 30 episodes out of 172 doesn't sound very good to me, I'm sure you'd hate Voyager if you sat through it sans guide. I'm in season 7 watching all but the most egregiously dumb episodes (since season 4 when I was doing every last one) and I'm starting to get sick of it. The 50 Year Mission book indicates that a lot of the staff was getting bored with it at this point too.

Haven't gotten round to 50 Year Mission yet but I've read some old comments Ronald D. Moore made about when he was very briefly involved with VOY late in the game (season six, I think) where he indicated that it was a thoroughly unpleasant working environment by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I used an episode guide for DS9, but a lot more episodes were meant to be watchable that weren't.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the one where Sisko and Jake fly that lame Bajoran solar wind sailship is a dumb episode, but that might be my own hatred of the concept of "roughing it" for no good reason.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WampaLord posted:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the one where Sisko and Jake fly that lame Bajoran solar wind sailship is a dumb episode, but that might be my own hatred of the concept of "roughing it" for no good reason.
Well in that case they had a reason, although you might fairly ask if that reason needed to be executed by a Federation commander and his son. I think it furthers the Jake/Ben story quite well, as well as giving Dukat a moment that isn't comically evil.

Like the purpose of "roughing it" like that was a deliberate homage to Kon Tiki.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haven't gotten round to 50 Year Mission yet but I've read some old comments Ronald D. Moore made about when he was very briefly involved with VOY late in the game (season six, I think) where he indicated that it was a thoroughly unpleasant working environment by then.

I just listened to this part.

He basically wanted to make it more serialized. He wanted it to be more like what we would eventually see in BSG, the crew challenging Janeway's authority democratically and making the ship more a product of the Delta Quadrant. He wanted more serialization in general (so say we all) and that just wasn't Star Trek. There was also conflict with Brannon Braga that the execs intentionally fomented.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Voyager is not all bad, but DS9's lows are only marginally lower than Voyager's averages, and Voyager's highs are extremely infrequent and never reach the heights of DS9's highs.

Both shows sort of abandoned their original premises, but DS9 only sort of did, and for the better, while VOY did so in the first couple goddamn episodes and extremely for the worse.

DS9>TNG>TOS>ENT>VOY, but DS9 is really best when you watch (nearly) all of it and have TNG behind it for grounding and context.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skooma512 posted:

Well, it seems like you watched all of DS9 but only cherry picked Voyager. 30 episodes out of 172 doesn't sound very good to me, I'm sure you'd hate Voyager if you sat through it sans guide. I'm in season 7 watching all but the most egregiously dumb episodes (since season 4 when I was doing every last one) and I'm starting to get sick of it.

I just got through watching all of Voyager (all of it :suicide:) for the first time and I honestly don't think I could pick 30 episodes that would beat even a random selection of DS9 episodes for me. Like, here we are talking about how bad Meridian is, but there were entire stretches of Voyager that I found just as boring and pointless as that episode. Which isn't to say that Voyager has no high points, but they're so few and far between that I stopped caring.

Orv
May 4, 2011

willie_dee posted:

I guess I must be super wrong in disliking DS9 but enjoying Voyager to prompt all these hilarious gifs!

For some reason I just hated the acting and most of the story lines in DS9, it felt way way more hammy and childish, whereas all the Voyager episodes I watched (not many in the episode guide) were good or at least not any where near as hammy when they were bad.

Should I watch the latest version, Enterprise, with a guide or just watch every episode?

You're straight crazy.

Also Enterprise season 1 and 2 are bad but they are at least watchable compared to the vast majority of Voyager (you nutter), so you might as well try some of it and then decide. If you don't dig the first half of season 1 probably just skip straight to season 3.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, he gave some pretty extensive comments to IGN maybe fifteen years ago. Basically, when DS9 ended, he was pretty burnt out, but Braga lured him to Voyager with the implication that they'd be equal partners in running the show. But Braga was on an egomaniac power trip at the time, and basically locked Moore out of the writers' room and didn't involve him in any of the creative process. Moore walked after like three weeks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Voyager a lot better than Enterprise but there's not much in it. I think I could probably put a random episode of Voyager on as background noise and be less annoyed by it than if I did the same with Enterprise.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

The Bloop posted:

DS9>TNG>TOS>ENT>VOY, but DS9 is really best when you watch (nearly) all of it and have TNG behind it for grounding and context.

I'd put VOY ahead of ENT just because of the EMH. Having one good character has to count for something.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
It might be easier to enjoy Voyager more if you imagine it's an elaborate holodeck simulation series written by Jake Sisko.

Jake later went on to write the Enterprise holonovels which weren't as well received because he was senile.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

willie_dee posted:

I used an episode guide for DS9, but a lot more episodes were meant to be watchable that weren't.

Out of curiosity, what did the guide have you watch?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Out of curiosity, what did the guide have you watch?

Both basically involved episodes that were either good, or had continuity, or both. Put together by Startreks reddit community.

This was Voyagers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/2u3ve3/list_of_nonfiller_voyager_episodes/

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I can't understand the love for DS9, I thought it was awful.

It sucks there isn't more TNG, the episode with the lights or the episode with the flute are genuinely incredible.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

willie_dee posted:

You talk and you talk but you have no grombah

Orv
May 4, 2011
That list is terrible.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bates posted:

I'd put VOY ahead of ENT just because of the EMH. Having one good character has to count for something.

That's fair, and the only one I questioned.

Of course, if they'd gotten another season with the refit and permaShran it might have jumped a few places.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

willie_dee posted:

It sucks there isn't more TNG, the episode with the lights or the episode with the flute are genuinely incredible.
Jokes aside, what did you dislike about it? I think there is room to criticize and preferring TNG is entirely understandable.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

willie_dee posted:

Should I watch the latest version, Enterprise, with a guide or just watch every episode?

I like Enterprise more than most people but even I'd cherry-pick my way through the first couple years. Those were rough times, especially that big long stretch of nothing in the middle of the second season. Season 3 is divisive but generally a lot better, and the arc focus makes it harder to skip around. Season 4 though, that was the good poo poo, and kinda retroactively makes some of the earlier material feel more worthwhile, at least for me. There's only really a handful of bad episodes in that season, including the finale.

Easiest way to judge Enterprise episodes: if it has Andorians, pre-Federation world-building/pregaming for TOS, or doesn't take itself too seriously, then it's probably good. If it's a Season 1/2 time war episode, an anomaly-of-the-week thing, or trying too hard to be sexy, it's probably bad. Everyone's mileage varies though. The last thread's OP was right when it said you're gonna hear a lot of different opinions about Enterprise.

Anyway, looks like Star Trek Beyond finally got added to Canadian Netflix at some point while I was distracted by old MST3K stuff.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Nessus posted:

Jokes aside, what did you dislike about it? I think there is room to criticize and preferring TNG is entirely understandable.

The acting in DS9 was mostly awful.

Sisko was clearly trying to be Shakespearian like JLP but didn't have his ability or fellow actors to bounce off of.

I loved the Ferengi and Garak and that they gave work to the TNG actors who had no where else to go.

The overall story line could of been good, but they included these weird gods that hosed everything up.

Most of the acting was incredibly hammy and child TV show like, which I think was scripted, it was like there should be a laugh track but nothing was funny so it never triggered.

I loved how the show expanded the Star Trek world, but I didn't enjoy it as a show.

Voyager had better acting, more consequential story line for the individuals and just felt more interesting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
...Mods?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Would bad TNG or DS9 episodes made decent Voyager episodes?

A Crewman who requires a harness to operate at normal gravity finds it failing, and while taking care of her while the harness is being repaired, the Doctor discovers he is beginning to have feelings of her. Harry, who is repairing the harness thinks THIS will get him a date finally.

The Voyager Crew arrives at a planet where society which while technologically advanced, maintains a tribal society based on strength. On behalf of another planet, Janeway as promised to negotiate with its leaders for a vaccine desprately needed on the other world. During the meeting, the planets leader is surprised to find both a woman captain and chief engineer. Taken with B'elanna, he kidnaps her and intends on making her his first wife. He tells Janeway that he will only trade the vaccine for B'elanna. The leaders current first wife demands single combat to maintain her place, and B'elanna is forced to take part.

I guess Code of Honour minus the really racist sterotypes makes actual sense?

While chasing pests aboard Voyager, a crewman finds a forgotten cargo container that contained a number of personal items belonging to the crew, including a journal and candle that had belonged to Janeway's grandmother that she was given shortly before leaving. In it she discovers...

Oh gross, I do not want to think of Janeway being taken to the bone zone by some ghost. At least Crusher will always have the "my first MILF" status so it makes it okay.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

twistedmentat posted:

The Voyager Crew arrives at a planet where society which while technologically advanced, maintains a tribal society based on strength. On behalf of another planet, Janeway as promised to negotiate with its leaders for a vaccine desprately needed on the other world. During the meeting, the planets leader is surprised to find both a woman captain and chief engineer. Taken with B'elanna, he kidnaps her and intends on making her his first wife. He tells Janeway that he will only trade the vaccine for B'elanna. The leaders current first wife demands single combat to maintain her place, and B'elanna is forced to take part.

I guess Code of Honour minus the really racist sterotypes makes actual sense?

I've always thought that if not for the Planet of the Tribal Stereotypes aspect, Code of Honor would be a fairly unremarkable episode. Still not a great one of course, but not one for everyone's Worst Of Trek lists either.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
"Alamarain! Count to four!"
"Please, I'm trying to negotiate a treaty here. The Cardassians-"
"Alamarain! Then three more!"
"There are millions dying in the Gamma Quadrant."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

willie_dee posted:

Sisko was clearly trying to be Shakespearian like JLP but didn't have his ability or fellow actors to bounce off of.
While I'd agree with you that he was definitely playing for the cheap seats, Avery Brooks comes from a theatrical background, although not an explicitly shakespearean one.

For the rest of what you're saying, I guess I see where you're coming from even if I disagree, but I'd encourage you to take half a look. See a lot of the guys in Voyager got told to act extremely subdued. Are you taking subdued acting as "better"? It can be - but these things are deliberate choices.

When you say gods are you talking about the Prophets or the pah-wraiths? I think the Prophets are done well, the pah-wraiths are kind of an rear end pull tho'

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I prefer TNG to DS9, too, but sincerely believing that Voyager is better than DS9 because of Avery Brooks's performance? Are you a '90s TV producer or something?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

willie_dee posted:

I loved the Ferengi and Garak and that they gave work to the TNG actors who had no where else to go.

The overall story line could of been good, but they included these weird gods that hosed everything up.

Most of the acting was incredibly hammy and child TV show like, which I think was scripted, it was like there should be a laugh track but nothing was funny so it never triggered.

I loved how the show expanded the Star Trek world, but I didn't enjoy it as a show.

Voyager had better acting, more consequential story line for the individuals and just felt more interesting.

5/10
I've seen better trolling, but you've stuck to the character of "person with the worst opinions or someone from a Bizzaro-world" for several posts now so I'll give you points.

The real problem is that you're watching someone else's cherry picked best of list.

If you really want to experience the real difference between Voyager and DS9 you'll watch the episodes in release order. Like the rest of us did when they first came out.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Guys like this are real, Berman was one of them and he was the guy gunning for them. Voyager is more "serious" because it's bland as hell compared to DS9 which could be fairly bombastic and their sensibilities can't handle it

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Did any of the characters in Voyager outside of 7 of 9 and the doctor even have character arcs

Orv
May 4, 2011
That list has loving Tuvix on it, this is clearly some low grade trolling.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

willie_dee posted:

Hold up, how far into the show did you get? It sounds like you only watched season 1.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Voyager is the only Star Trek show that I never watched. I tried the first few episodes when it was first on, and years later I tried again on Netflix but it is just unwatchable. The characters just don't interest me (other than The Doctor), the idea of "lost in space" was wasted, and the look and feel of the show seemed cheap and basic. I love Star Trek, but Voyager was insulting to me as if they said "make this for the nerds" instead of nerds themselves with a vision making a show about things they thought would be interesting. And I watch Big Bang Theory, I'm not fussy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

That list has loving Tuvix on it, this is clearly some low grade trolling.

Tuvix was good. The ending was bad. Janeway is a monster. Voyager sucks at morals.

The uniform was lol.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
the goddamn ship got sick because neelix was making cheese jesus christ

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I still like DS9 but my god did I hate the wormhole aliens.

They opened season 6 with a deus ex machina and it just sucked the tension right out of the rest of the war. Oh gee, this is really exciting, what if the Federation loses the next battle the consequences will be...uh...Sisko has to go ask his mommy to magic the bad guys away again, I guess?

E:

The Bloop posted:

Tuvix was good. The ending was bad. Janeway is a monster. Voyager sucks at morals.

I respected them for not copping out on the dilemma with the inoffensive third option. Nope, Tuvix doesn't change his mind, no undetected cellular damage that would kill him if they don't split him, no second transporter accident, no clones so everyone can be alive. Janeway just straight-up stone-cold murders an innocent man to bring her friends back to life.

Also :lol: Kess was willing to turn murderer to get her boyfriend back and then just a few weeks later she's like "nah we're broken up, I'm hungry for that Tom Paris dick now"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 27, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Bloop posted:

The uniform was lol.

Agreed on all counts. Tuvix is the episode I point to when I need an example of Janeway being the worst captain of a Trek series.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

vermin posted:

"Alamarain! Count to four!"
"Please, I'm trying to negotiate a treaty here. The Cardassians-"
"Alamarain! Then three more!"
"There are millions dying in the Gamma Quadrant."

I do like using that game as a metaphor for incomprehensible and seemingly arbitrary games and processes, job interviews for example. There was this IQ test I had to take for one, matching shapes and determining patterns, that pretty much felt like me hopscotching to maybe get to the next shap.

Quark didn't give up enough latinum for me to move along home though :catstare:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I remember not being a big fan of Avery's acting either, at least when Sisko gets intense. He gets this staccato rhythm going that feels unnatural as all get-out; it's more Shatnerian than Shakespearean, but he's not Shatner.

So far though in our watchthrough, the first third of season 1, he's still riding high on the events of "Emissary" and his acting communicates that everything that happens is both slightly beneath him and mildly amusing. Kind of parallels the beginning of Sheridan's arc in B5.

I would never say that Voyager is better, but TNG, yes, as I currently stand, no question. But then I'm also a TOS diehard and I think one of the problems with DS9 and later TNG is too much time mucking about with Alpha Quadrant politics. I get that that's the very premise of DS9 and I acknowledge that's at least partly my personal preference for my favorite alliterative subgenre: adventures about arbitrarily advanced ancient alien artifacts.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Every fault and problem with Voyager and Enterprise was explained when a goon mentioned a number of pages back that B&B and the rest of the entrenched execs on Star Trek wanted to just remake TNG over and over again hoping they'd achieve the same success.

skooma512 posted:

I do like using that game as a metaphor for incomprehensible and seemingly arbitrary games and processes, job interviews for example. There was this IQ test I had to take for one, matching shapes and determining patterns, that pretty much felt like me hopscotching to maybe get to the next shap.

Quark didn't give up enough latinum for me to move along home though :catstare:

Yea, I've had to take a lot of personality tests over the years for jobs and many have insane situations with no answer that won't make you sound like a terrible employee like

How would you go about leaving early?
A) I'd just leave
B) I'd tell my boss I needed to leave and go
C) I would just take an extra long break until my shift is done
D) I'd have one of the other employees cover for me while I left early.

No way to answer that

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 27, 2017