Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That reminds me, should I start building up a cache of Machine Killer for that Robot trial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
I have just awoken, and see that my stupid game didn't reflect my changes to her properly, namely I didn't move the right party of Lightning to Ifrit. I will fix it in about 20 miinutes when this battle finishes. Sorry guys!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dana Crysalis posted:

I have just awoken, and see that my stupid game didn't reflect my changes to her properly, namely I didn't move the right party of Lightning to Ifrit. I will fix it in about 20 miinutes when this battle finishes. Sorry guys!

It's OK. I'm off to bed soon, so I won't be able to do another 2 hour Dodge Lightning run tonight (gotta recharge my tablet). Thanks for the help. In theory, I should get Y right around the end of the event...

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

CyberLord XP posted:

Bullshit, no one believes there's a character you don't have yet.

Demon Rain, Dracula Lasswell, Elza, WK Noel, Dark Fina, Randi, Yun, Cupid Artemios, Queen, Y'shtola.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 27, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Random game update?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

hagie posted:

Random game update?

My TM farm's still trucking along without interruption, so I don't believe so.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Fenrir posted:

Demon Rain, Dracula Lasswell, Elza, WK Noel, Dark Fina, Randi, Yun, Cupid Artemios, Queen, Y'shtola.

Not that I'm attacking you, but that is a bunch of limited time units, and only 2(two) 5* bases that you don't have.
You are lucky.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Decided to chase a 2nd Soleil to help with grinding this event. Budgeted 5 tickets, and decided to go for a 6th. Gold -> Leon. Ok, 1 more, Gold-> Rainbow.....

That'll do game, that'll do. Pretty sure I'm set, besides grabbing Rikku when she comes out. Still bummed to have no Ling.

I now have: Gilgamesh, Emperor x 2, Olive, Orlandeau x 2, Maxwell, Y'shtola as base 5* units. Got 2 Orlandeau out of a total of roughly 25 tickets and an 11x pull if I remember right.

Now I *really* need to work on the 3 Shines I am TM grinding, and the 3 Gaffs waiting for their turns.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 27, 2017

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I ground up 2 Chiz's to 100 and moved all my best TMs to Firion. I hit Pro Ifrit for a 1.5 million Fin Briar. This chaining thing might catch on.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
PSA: My dear fellow TGCID whales. Please put your highest ATK weapon in your OFFHAND. Because the damage from chain multipliers is bigger then.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Posted the WIPs of this in Discord, but now that it's finished figured I'd post it here. Some Olive fanart I did during lunch / between meetings at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cG_0w6cie8

Took about 12-15 hours or so over three weeks, using an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil in Procreate.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

turnways posted:

Posted the WIPs of this in Discord, but now that it's finished figured I'd post it here. Some Olive fanart I did during lunch / between meetings at work:

Took about 12-15 hours or so over three weeks, using an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil in Procreate.

That's epic! Looks a little creepy zoomed out because it looks like she has cat eyes but looking at it full screen that looks fantastic! I'll bet they'll definitely show that one off on the Facebook page.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Dear Gacha: Agrias is not Orlandeau

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Varance posted:

She'll get there, don't worry.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Thanks guys but I'm not going to submit it to Gumi; they get all intellectual property rights, you get none, and even though fanart is a murky area copyright-wise you still have rights to some level of distribution unless you concede them and as a professional I'm kind of opposed to just giving that up for what amounts to about $15 worth of in-game currency.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I don't understand my RNG luck. For the past three King Mog events I can't roll even the three star bonus units and I'm still getting Sazh'ed. Please send help. I know I won't get Orlandu, I just want the grind to not be a nightmare :negative:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

turnways posted:

Thanks guys but I'm not going to submit it to Gumi; they get all intellectual property rights, you get none, and even though fanart is a murky area copyright-wise you still have rights to some level of distribution unless you concede them and as a professional I'm kind of opposed to just giving that up for what amounts to about $15 worth of in-game currency.

My understanding of fan art is that they already have the IP and you couldn't sell it. So what you're saying is that if you sent the image to them they could use it to promote themselves without needing to give credit to you, while right now you can use it now to promote yourself.

I also wasn't aware that they gave out money for fan art submissions. I was just suggesting you share it on their FB page because then more people would see it. I'm inferring that you hope Gumi never sees it because if they do they could use it without crediting you?

Please explain, my understanding of fan art is based on reading an article on deviant art some 5-6 years ago.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vax posted:

PSA: My dear fellow TGCID whales. Please put your highest ATK weapon in your OFFHAND. Because the damage from chain multipliers is bigger then.

Also, please put some MP+ gear on until he has over 230, even if you sacrifice some ATK. That lets you use DR once in each of the five rounds and we can just spam the repeat button until it's over. (Unless a chocobo pops up.)

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 27, 2017

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

My understanding of fan art is that they already have the IP and you couldn't sell it. So what you're saying is that if you sent the image to them they could use it to promote themselves without needing to give credit to you, while right now you can use it now to promote yourself.

I also wasn't aware that they gave out money for fan art submissions. I was just suggesting you share it on their FB page because then more people would see it. I'm inferring that you hope Gumi never sees it because if they do they could use it without crediting you?

Please explain, my understanding of fan art is based on reading an article on deviant art some 5-6 years ago.

It's all pretty murky but I'll try to explain what my opposition is (I'm not that great with legal stuff).

Fanart submission page

Fine Print

Relevant passage:

quote:

9.2 By submitting your Event entry and any accompanying material, you agree:

(a) to assign to the Promoter all your intellectual property rights, with full title guarantee; and
(b) waive all moral rights,
in and to your Event entry and otherwise arising in connection with your entry to which you may now or at any time in the future be entitled anywhere in the world.

Basically, right now I can somewhat wave that bit of fanart around the web and while Gumi has an understood ability to use it as well (distribution rights, it is their character after all), actual ownership rights of the specific materials relevant to the work still fall on me. Basically, I currently have no legal compulsion to turn over my master images to them, though technically they already have rights to the actual image in question. If I submit it, I give up any current and future rights (decided by future court cases, say for instance they crazily decided fanart contributors actually retain the bulk of distribution rights due to expanded fair use, etc.) and Gumi has total control, with no obligation to credit me but out of the goodness of their hearts (PR) and an absolute compulsion on my part to turn over all parts of my work.

While I don't think their intention would lead them to take submissions and run with them (most common policy among game companies I personally know is to reach out and slap as much credit as possible on any fan contributions because to do so otherwise is just biting the hand), the fact that I've seen so many contests where they've specifically avoided that language and given better prizes makes me feel this isn't a priority for them and so it's not a priority for me to reach out, to put it as nicely as possible.

Edit: cleaned up some language so as to not confuse certain agreements with actual law

turnways fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 27, 2017

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

turnways posted:

I've gotta agree that that's really cool! And thanks for the process video! I really should watch those more often since there's still a ton I have to learn myself, and it's inspiring seeing a whole professional piece's process laid out like that.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Also, please put some MP+ gear on until he has over 230, even if you sacrifice some ATK. That lets you use DR once in each of the five rounds and we can just spam the repeat button until it's over. (Unless a chocobo pops up.)

To build off of this, if any of you are like me and have a stockpile of arena tickets go use them. You can get +65 MP on TGC via pots alone, and I feel like using those pots on low MP characters is the best use for them. Mine has 207 base MP with zero mp gear, 246 with Odin, and 267 with Diablos. Still has 814 base attack with that.

Gear: Excalibur, Sakurafubuki (need to get that genji blade at some point), Force Armor, Genji Glove, Bracer, Black Cowl
Materia: Blade Mastery, Follower's Oath, Power of Creation, Attack +15%

Seriously, I had been ignoring arena tickets due to laziness. Use them if you have them.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 27, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

There's some jerk's Orlandu who ends up with 44 mana on turn five. I cuss every time. :argh:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

AegisP posted:

My TM farm's still trucking along without interruption, so I don't believe so.

Interesting. My game pretty much did a full re-install on its own while I was trying to play it.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

When Agrias gets the 6* upgrade, will having 4 of them be good for chaining? Because that's how many I've pulled during this event. 4 of them. 0 Soleils and 0 rainbows also.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Peachfart posted:

Not that I'm attacking you, but that is a bunch of limited time units, and only 2(two) 5* bases that you don't have.
You are lucky.

I've been *incredibly* lucky. Especially in the last month or so.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So unless we get some crazy global exclusive like Olive, this is pretty much it for the next few months or however long it takes to get to Tidus and Rikku from FFX?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

There's some jerk's Orlandu who ends up with 44 mana on turn five. I cuss every time. :argh:

Why are you spamming DR? With your swole rear end Cid, chaining Lightning Stab with another Cid will kill everything. You might need to chain DR for the last boss if your friend unit only has like 400 ATK, but that's the only time you'll need it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nobody ever taught me how to Cid. :saddowns:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Those of us who don't have our own Cid, however, need to cast it every fight(unless chocobos show up, then Noctis takes care of them through some judicious fire flasking).

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So beyond Cecil and Exdeath who are good candidates for LB pots? Y'shtola? Cid? Refia? Olive, Lightning? I've got a bunch of the big rear end ones and not sure what to throw them at.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Ling breaking defense + friend Cid using Lightning Stab works very well for atleast the first two enemies, depending on the ATK stat of the Cid even the third enemy dies to it no problem. Really this event has been incredibly easy going, both in terms of currency and playing it,

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Servaetes posted:

So beyond Cecil and Exdeath who are good candidates for LB pots? Y'shtola? Cid? Refia? Olive, Lightning? I've got a bunch of the big rear end ones and not sure what to throw them at.

Olive for sure. Her LB trucks and is constantly up. It's part of her optimal damage rotation if you're into that sort of poo poo. Y'shtola's LB is really good but you probably won't use much of it if you have/get Tilith.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Servaetes posted:

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Olive for sure. Her LB trucks and is constantly up. It's part of her optimal damage rotation if you're into that sort of poo poo. Y'shtola's LB is really good but you probably won't use much of it if you have/get Tilith.

Yup, this was decision as well. Olive also benefits with having a Ling too who can use entrust to make it fill even faster. Very useful on bosses that are stingy with the crystal drops like Ifrit ELT.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
I am loving the Cids that have 225+ mp for brainless elite runs. I just rushed all the event megacytes too so I can have Demon Killer on Olive for my event team. I'm thinking about rushing the 10% moogle next, Olive is in the mid-70's %-wise, so the moogle I'm about to get from Ifrit + the moogle from the event gets me reaaaally close to Sparky and a huuuuge damage boost. Still not going to pay 10k a pop for those loving 1% moogles though :frogout:

Hopefully that extra damage will cut down on the number of runs I don't one-shot the last boss and have my friendlandu get confused and smack Olive to death in one attack. I am not a fan of those runs.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, gently caress those 1% moogles.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anybody else notice that the expensive 6 star mats in the store now have a 300 limit instead of unlimited?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Decided to chase a 2nd Soleil to help with grinding this event. Budgeted 5 tickets, and decided to go for a 6th. Gold -> Leon. Ok, 1 more, Gold-> Rainbow.....

That'll do game, that'll do. Pretty sure I'm set, besides grabbing Rikku when she comes out. Still bummed to have no Ling.

This is really not helping me resist the urge to throw away tickets chasing a 2nd murdergod. If I hadn't picked up Olive right before Cid I probably would, but Cid+buddy chaining with Olive as a finisher is going to be more than enough damage as long as I don't screw up the timings too badly.

The 3 of them also do around 55 million damage to beginner Ifrit even when an 826atk Olive just barely misses the end of the DR chain.

Varance posted:

Yet. :eng101:

Cartoon Man posted:

So unless we get some crazy global exclusive like Olive, this is pretty much it for the next few months or however long it takes to get to Tidus and Rikku from FFX?

Eileen is probably soon and she can top Orlandu in terms of DPS (after enhancements, IIRC). Otherwise it's Tidus, Veritas, and Onion Knight for the major DPS units in the next few months, and Riku or 6* Tilith for god tier support.

Fenrir posted:

Why are you spamming DR? With your swole rear end Cid, chaining Lightning Stab with another Cid will kill everything. You might need to chain DR for the last boss if your friend unit only has like 400 ATK, but that's the only time you'll need it.

You don't even need to chain. My Cid's under 700 atk and with even another 700atk cid using Ifrit I can just hit repeat and their DR spam, with little to no chaining, kills rounds 2-5 without fail. Proper chaining just means you're overkilling the boss by about a factor of 10. :black101:

When I have a non-chocobo run the Cids just Lightning stab the first (and maybe 2nd, if the buddy has poo poo for MP) rounds and then they DR the last 3. While 4 Soleils sit back and watch the fireworks.

I'm glad I've been stockpiling 6* mats though because taking Cid, Olive, Y'shtola, and Minfilia to 6* in less than a week has put a hurting on my mats.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

Anybody else notice that the expensive 6 star mats in the store now have a 300 limit instead of unlimited?

Yep. Will make it all the more confusing for me. Well, if I ever get enough orbs to buy all that stuff.

Have all the King Mog events been trending towards worse deals, or is this just a recent thing?

Edit: Regarding the event, just in case there's people who don't already do this, don't forget you can squeeze easy value out of your bonus units through esper abilities- all of Attack Song (2* Siren), Imperil, and Deprotect can give you a boost that your party might be lacking without your usual A-Team, and make it easier for Cid to solo if that's where you're at. Unless I've really not been paying attention, the buffs/debuffs should apply before attacks even if you just spam Repeat.

ShinyDais fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 27, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Grabbed all the rare summon tickets from the event below 6k in cost. Still no Cid, up to my 6th Soleil. I did get an Agrias at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ShinyDais posted:

Yep. Will make it all the more confusing for me. Well, if I ever get enough orbs to buy all that stuff.

Have all the King Mog events been trending towards worse deals, or is this just a recent thing?

Oh no, they have been slowly and deliberate upping the bullshit. It's the gacha game bullshit creep. They trickle in a little more pain as the weeks go by to get you to hit that store up. If you really want to :tinfoil:, it would be interesting to see how many of us drew Cid that have dropped cash in the store vs F2P users...

• Locked thread