Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

So on the character I just leveled up for the DLC and killed princes with, I set the controller down wrong and killed the loving blacksmith.

:suicide:

Prithee, be careful when you set down your controller :(

What even happens if you do that? No more reinforcement or infusions until NG+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Prithee, be careful when you set down your controller :(

What even happens if you do that? No more reinforcement or infusions until NG+?

Yeah and I still had Archdragon Peak and Ashes of Ariandel left to do.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Which means I can't level up any weapons I find in the DLC with that guy. Guess I'm just doing it on my ng++ guy.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Which means I can't level up any weapons I find in the DLC with that guy. Guess I'm just doing it on my ng++ guy.

pray to the velka statue

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

pray to the velka statue

That revives people? I thought it only made them non aggressive.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

That revives people? I thought it only made them non aggressive.

he automatically comes back. he can't stay dead. but once you kill him, he wont talk to you because you killed him. requesting absolution and paying souls at the velka statue will fix that

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kewpuh posted:

he automatically comes back. he can't stay dead. but once you kill him, he wont talk to you because you killed him. requesting absolution and paying souls at the velka statue will fix that

Huh, good to know. I knew the Fire Keeper comes back if you kill her (after all, it would be pretty bad to lock yourself permanently out of being able to level up) but didn't know it happened to him too. What about the Handmaid?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Huh, good to know. I knew the Fire Keeper comes back if you kill her (after all, it would be pretty bad to lock yourself permanently out of being able to level up) but didn't know it happened to him too. What about the Handmaid?

yep, same

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Did they massively up the gem drop rate? I've gotten a good dozen gems of various types just quickly zipping through zones a single time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I must've played too much Monster Hunter because I just realized I barely ever use the lock-on anymore. Maybe it's because I'm so used to all the enemies and their movesets by now?

I'm even one of those people who used to think it was super frustrating to see other people playing the game without lock-on :iiam:
New players don't use lock-on because they don't realise how useful it is, average-to-good players use lockon, the players that have become good stop using lockon because they have realised that it is a crutch for the weak

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just started watching the Super Best Friends playthrough and I'm wondering if I'm gonna enjoy this. They keep talking over or ignoring MY LORE :qq: and I don't understand a third of their jokes in the first episode...
...but hey, maybe it'll be a nice change after all the spergy playthroughs I've been watching so far :v: They seem to be having fun at least!

e: they kicked the hollow outside Gundyr's off the cliff though so it can't be a bad playthrough, that's the most important part

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Did they massively up the gem drop rate? I've gotten a good dozen gems of various types just quickly zipping through zones a single time.

Now that you mention it, I've gotten a ton. I've played DS3 for over 200 hours and during my current playthrough I've gotten lots of gems from enemies I didn't even know could drop them :iiam:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 27, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I just started watching the Super Best Friends playthrough and I'm wondering if I'm gonna enjoy this. They keep talking over or ignoring MY LORE :qq: and I don't understand a third of their jokes in the first episode...

...but hey, maybe it'll be a nice change after all the spergy playthroughs I've been watching so far :v: They seem to be having fun at least!

The big Joke is that Pat is wrong. About everything.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm watching the SBF Dark Souls 1 LP too. I love that Woolie beat the Capra Demon on the first try without problem, then proceeded to criticize how poorly the fight arena is set up.

On another topic, I've made it Anor Londo in DS1, but I feel like I've run up against a wall. I've tried to fight Lautrec a few times now, but I've not been able to beat him; the mage is a huge annoyance, and I can't seem to parry his attacks. I haven't tried fighting Ornstein and Smough yet, and I've got the impression that they're one of the toughest fights in the game. I've tried fighting the giant guards outside the room, but even one-on-one, I can't seem to beat them, as they heal once I get their health down far enough.

I don't know what I should be using in terms of weapons. I've mostly been sticking with the Halberd+5, and I managed to score a Silver Shield that I've upgraded a bit through the Giant Blacksmith. However, I feel like I should be using something else as an alternative.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've already forgotten how DS1's upgrade system works offhand so I can't comment on your weapon, but that part of the game is pretty rough. Every time I get there I just ignore the giant guards because they're too much of a hassle to fight, and Lautrec is tricky too. Best advice I can give for him is to use the stairs to your advantage and yakety sax it up to separate them in order to get in hits.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

e: they kicked the hollow outside Gundyr's off the cliff though so it can't be a bad playthrough, that's the most important part

Wait till you get to the part where he grinds on one black knight off camera for potentially dozens of hours and winds up above lv 60 before the Cathedral in full black knight gear wielding the Estoc.

And still somehow struggles

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Pat is also probably the worst of the team at actually playing the games.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Also, he grinded hundreds of thousands of souls and still somehow didn't have a single arrow to his loving name. Being terrified of buying consumables must have carried over from DS2

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You guys aren't convincing me very well to keep watching :cripes:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's funny. But not competent. The Superbestfriends aren't about that anymore

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I am seeing this as well. Started a new character yesterday and I have 3 Raw gems in inventory, and that's after using the one from the lizard in High Wall. I am only to Cathedral. Pretty sure I grabbed a Poison Gem and one other I don't normally have by now, too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I love that Woolie beat the Capra Demon on the first try without problem, then proceeded to criticize how poorly the fight arena is set up.

I haven't seen the video you're talking about but Capra demon on PS3 was a loving nightmare, the framerate would PLUMMET when you entered the tiny arena and you'd immediately be swamped by the dogs as you struggled to figure out where anything was.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know what I should be using in terms of weapons. I've mostly been sticking with the Halberd+5, and I managed to score a Silver Shield that I've upgraded a bit through the Giant Blacksmith. However, I feel like I should be using something else as an alternative.

Upgrade your weapon, the halberd is a great weapon and will easily carry you through the entire game but +5 is pretty low for anor londo. You can buy infinite large titanite shards from the Giant Blacksmith to get it up to +10, though you will have to go back to Andre to ascend it from +5 to +6 using the large ember you(hopefully?) found in the basement after the Capra Demon. After that you can take it from +6 to +10 using just the bonfire weapon smithbox.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I'm watching the SBF Dark Souls 1 LP too. I love that Woolie beat the Capra Demon on the first try without problem, then proceeded to criticize how poorly the fight arena is set up.

On another topic, I've made it Anor Londo in DS1, but I feel like I've run up against a wall. I've tried to fight Lautrec a few times now, but I've not been able to beat him; the mage is a huge annoyance, and I can't seem to parry his attacks. I haven't tried fighting Ornstein and Smough yet, and I've got the impression that they're one of the toughest fights in the game. I've tried fighting the giant guards outside the room, but even one-on-one, I can't seem to beat them, as they heal once I get their health down far enough.

The game expects you to be using a +10 weapon at this point, though if you have a weapon upgraded with Twinkling Titanite you can grind souls to max that out (because the giant blacksmith sells them). And in DS1 you only need Twinkling to max out a weapon, and +5 for one of those is equivalent to +15 of a normal weapon.

In this circumstance I'd probably try to grab a sunbro (a player one, Solaire's a bit suicidal) and stay alive to beat O&S. Lautrec can wait until you've upgraded. Warping is locked until you've beaten them (a design decision I'm glad they changed in the later games), so it's way less of a hike to go and fix up your Halberd at this point. Unless you want to walk out of Anor Londo then walk out of Sen's Fortress. Admittedly, with shortcuts it's not actually that bad a hike - be sure you unlock that elevator-cage shortcut in Sen's so you can skip 95% of the area.

For future reference, you want to grab the Large Ember in the Depths, give it to Andre, and then use him to get your weapon at least to +6 before you start the Sen's Fortress climb. (There's Large Titanite to be found in Depths and Blighttown.) You can use your bonfire mini-blacksmith to upgrade from +6 to +10 as you get more Large Titanite (there's more in Sen's, and you can buy it from the merchant at the top or from the giant blacksmith), but the +5 -> +6 has to be done by Andre exclusively.

For Lautrec, if you want to cheese him, good bow (pharis definitely, maybe long bow) + hawk ring (hidden behind giant blacksmith) + max range and you can just snipe without aggroing.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Max Wilco posted:

+5 might be a little lightweight for Anor Londo. You need the 2nd Ember, which is in the Depths, near the giant Butcher ladies. Give that to Andre and he can take you past +5.

Also, it's cheeseball as hell, but get Lautrec and Co to start chasing you, and just run laps all the way around the room - up the stairs, across the top balcony, to the other stairs, and down, rinse, repeat. Eventually Lautrec will outrun his boys by enough that you will have time to get a few hits on him. Then take off running again.

Cheese strategy two: Poison Arrows. Get a bow, and grab the Hawk Ring from the chest behind the Giant Blacksmith. When you spawn in after invading Lautrec, hitting him from there with arrows will not aggro him. Use regular arrows to adjust your aim (use the zoom - they won't do actual damage from that range, but you can see them hit), then switch to poison. Takes maybe 3-4 to poison him. Let the poison tick down, then repeat until he's dead. If you kill him, you win. You don't have to also kill his helpers.

And you can summon Solaire for the Snorlax & Pikachu fight. He provides a useful distraction while you whittle down one of them. Also: don't try to wear them down evenly - whoever is left goes back to full health for phase 2. Concentrate on one of them. If you leave Ornstein for phase 2, he drops a fairly useful ring when killed. Smough does not.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
There's also the lightning spear that you can find in Sen's Fortress which is effectively a +10 spear.

I'm a bit iffy on having warp from the start because it allows for lazier level world design and also takes a lot of edge off the game when you're always in the clear no matter where you are, especially since bonfires are so plentiful in the later games. In the first one you get the warp at precisely the time when the game really opens up and you have a lot more options to go to. Also, once you've reached the big palace area in Anor Londo and opened up the doors, the hike back to Undead Parish and back is really quite quick, especially if you have opened the elevator in Sen's.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 27, 2017

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

So Steam says the dlc is unlocking this afternoon. I've been avoiding spoilers, though it'd be helpful to know where the entrance is. Kind of concerned my latest character that just beat Dancer, won't be able to get in. I've cleared the first dlc with that one though. I've seen it mentioned that you can get their from the first dlc (which would be good) or the kiln at the end (which is why I hope for 2 ports).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Phuzun posted:

So Steam says the dlc is unlocking this afternoon. I've been avoiding spoilers, though it'd be helpful to know where the entrance is. Kind of concerned my latest character that just beat Dancer, won't be able to get in. I've cleared the first dlc with that one though. I've seen it mentioned that you can get their from the first dlc (which would be good) or the kiln at the end (which is why I hope for 2 ports).

Oh word. I'm hoping for option 1 too because I have a pvp guy I keep around sl60 for Aldrich stuff and he was able to beat the dlc but I don't want to use him to go kill the rest of the ember Lords, he still likes being invaded in some areas

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
i'm downloading a massive 21gb file, is it out or is this just miyazaki's grand design

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sperglord Firecock posted:

i'm downloading a massive 21gb file, is it out or is this just miyazaki's grand design

it's out tomorrow!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Your Computer posted:

I'm pretty sure she not only comes back automatically, but she'll talk to you without paying Velka.

However, each time you kill her she increases her prices :v:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

I'm pretty sure she not only comes back automatically, but she'll talk to you without paying Velka.

However, each time you kill her she increases her prices :v:

She has to, if you can't talk to her, then you can't buy the key to unlock Velka :v:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it's out tomorrow!

correction:

it's out in 8 hours

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

She has to, if you can't talk to her, then you can't buy the key to unlock Velka :v:

You can drop down near Eregon without issue, then walk back the opposite way. If you can't afford that or just want to grab items/maiden.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm getting ready for tomorrow, they haven't done anything to the Onyx Blade or Great Chaos Fire Orb lately have they? That's most of what I was using earlier.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

cpaf posted:

My hammer's name is also Vordt

This made me laugh, thanks

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've been away from this game for nearly a year now, so I've a couple of questions. has there been any changes to poise since ca. may last year? how well does a luck/dex/hollow-based bleed build fare in PvE these days, and any good tips to get started?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm getting ready for tomorrow, they haven't done anything to the Onyx Blade or Great Chaos Fire Orb lately have they? That's most of what I was using earlier.

My current character is using both, though I tend to use Black Fire orb more than chaos. Seems more efficient as far as damage vs fp usage.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Sperglord Firecock posted:

correction:

it's out in 8 hours

I'm seeing the unlock date at March 27th! :woop:

I hope it unlocks today. Tomorrow is a busy day for games.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

TopHatGenius posted:

I'm seeing the unlock date at March 27th! :woop:

I hope it unlocks today. Tomorrow is a busy day for games.

Supposedly 6 PM EDT / 10 PM GMT today is the unlock time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can't confirm this, because I wasn't there at the start of the stream, but apparently a guy on YT on the DLC early by switching his region settings to New Zealand and he's playing through it right now.