Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

And this insistence will never not be a kick in the pants for me, who likes having Gyruss at accurate speed (the one on Mame2003 runs too fast).

Also, the build for 2003 breaks Rush N Attack, which also makes me grumpy. Yeah, I could toss in the core for a more recent MAME, but it's more difficult than it should be in RetroPie, where I primarily use it.

It's pretty easy actually. You can set a per rom emulator/core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Chainclaw posted:

I'm doing a ton of house cleaning, and going through boxes of old paperwork. I found this amazing flyer and am not tossing it out.
edit: I don't know if I got this at GDC in 2004, or if I got this when the Phantom guys gave a presentation at Full Sail when I was attending in 2003.

I didn't realize how massive that thing actually was, it's basically just a PC tower on its side.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chainclaw posted:

I'm doing a ton of house cleaning, and going through boxes of old paperwork. I found this amazing flyer and am not tossing it out.
edit: I don't know if I got this at GDC in 2004, or if I got this when the Phantom guys gave a presentation at Full Sail when I was attending in 2003.

the finish on that thing is definitely not "fish egg"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Chainclaw posted:

drat, I remember the hype for that or maybe it was just "hype."

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Just saw the Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy concert in Seattle tonight, and holy poo poo.

I wish they'd done more FF4/FF6, but they did some early FF and a bunch of 7/8/9 songs, and closed on One Winged Angel, and it was incredible. I can't recommend going enough.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Code Jockey posted:

Just saw the Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy concert in Seattle tonight, and holy poo poo.

I wish they'd done more FF4/FF6, but they did some early FF and a bunch of 7/8/9 songs, and closed on One Winged Angel, and it was incredible. I can't recommend going enough.

When I saw Dear Friends they played One Winged Angel, and then they were called back for an encore and the crowd demanded One Winged Angel as the encore. For a second encore, the crowd demanded it for a 3rd time. Suffice to say I didn't have to deal with traffic getting out.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

signalnoise posted:

When I saw Dear Friends they played One Winged Angel, and then they were called back for an encore and the crowd demanded One Winged Angel as the encore. For a second encore, the crowd demanded it for a 3rd time. Suffice to say I didn't have to deal with traffic getting out.

Jesus Christ I can't even listen to the same song twice a day, much less one right after another.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've yet to hear of a video game music performance that didn't finish with One-Winged Angel. At least the one I went to in Vancouver which was more all-encompassing it was only played a single time, as the encore.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finale should been Dancing Madly instead. All 15 minutes of it.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Rirse posted:

Finale should been Dancing Madly instead. All 15 minutes of it.

Dancing Madly is a beautiful, beautiful song. It's also a very, very long song.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

One-Winged Angel feels like an opener to me and you close with Dancing Mad. It even finishes with a wicked guitar solo, dammit.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

worthless. posted:

Jesus Christ I can't even listen to the same song twice a day, much less one right after another.

Yeah, fan appreciation is great and all, but that just sounds like a kind of tacky thing to do on the audience's part. Back-to-back encores of the same song strikes me as being disrespectful of the performers and undermining the whole point of such a concert in the first place.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Did they do any FFXIV, by any chance?

I mean, I'm assuming not, but I dunno, they've done some live performances now and then. Live "Locus" or "Under the Weight" would be something.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SwissCM posted:

RetroArch is a lot easier when the ROM files you have are in a specific naming scheme. NoIntro for ROM-based files, ReDump for Opticals and TOSEC for disks/tapes. If you have those sets, everything scans in perfectly with the thumbnail metadata that you can download in the interface.
RetroArch's database handling is one of my chief complaints with it. It seems their ROM database is based on a highly-specific version of No-Intro, and is occasionally updated to a different highly-specific version of No-Intro. So unless you're keeping your ROM sets up to date, you'll invariably have a bunch of ROMs that RetoArch misses during scanning. Worse, they don't even keep around old checksums from past versions, so it's entirely possible to have ROMs disappear after doing a scan.

Maybe it works better if you use a desktop utility to generate a RetoArch playlist. I haven't bothered and just use the "Select File and Detect Core" option, which if you break down large sets into separate directories by starting letter, makes navigation easier.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, I'm assuming not, but I dunno, they've done some live performances now and then. Live "Locus" or "Under the Weight" would be something.

They actually did do a number of songs from it! I can't remember exactly which, but probably 2 or 3.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Yeah, fan appreciation is great and all, but that just sounds like a kind of tacky thing to do on the audience's part. Back-to-back encores of the same song strikes me as being disrespectful of the performers and undermining the whole point of such a concert in the first place.
Tacky and disrespectful of creators is basically nerd fan culture in a nutshell.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Maybe it works better if you use a desktop utility to generate a RetoArch playlist. I haven't bothered and just use the "Select File and Detect Core" option, which if you break down large sets into separate directories by starting letter, makes navigation easier.

This is what I do. It does it by filename and seems to pick up almost everything that has artwork available for it.

It could be better, though. I think eventually Kodi (with libretro cores) will be the best choice, they have scraping and library organisation down pat. But that's still under development.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Anyone have some tips on troubleshooting arcade monitors? The samsung monitor that came with my cab mostly works, but has some issues where the vertical position knob doesn't adjust the picture down far enough (So the top image rides right along the top and I have a black bar below the bottom inch of the image), and I have some weird geometry on the sides of the picture.

My first idea is to replace some pots on the screen control board as it's a fairly simple board and the pot contacts appear to be a bit rusted (contact cleaner seems to have helped, but not by much). Otherwise I think I'm left with getting the chassis removed and re-capped (I know there are people who do this, but I don't know where to look. Any ideas?).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have an N64 GameShark with the "fake" parallel port and seven-segment display on it. The circuit board inside seems identical to a photo someone gave me of a normal fully functional unit except that it's missing a couple of 74-series ICs. Does anyone know if I can make this unit fully-functional by soldering on the two missing ICs or does it have deeper issues like lacking functionality in the firmware?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shadow Hog posted:

Apparently they did Answers and Dragonsong, with Susan Calloway. She also sung Eyes on Me.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

GutBomb posted:

It's pretty easy actually. You can set a per rom emulator/core.

Yes, except when you consider the core compile done through a Raspberry Pi fails half the time, and if I upload it directly to a "cores" folder have led to hard crashes previously.

It seems straightforward, but when it's RetroPie, nothing is simple.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BattleMaster posted:

I have an N64 GameShark with the "fake" parallel port and seven-segment display on it. The circuit board inside seems identical to a photo someone gave me of a normal fully functional unit except that it's missing a couple of 74-series ICs. Does anyone know if I can make this unit fully-functional by soldering on the two missing ICs or does it have deeper issues like lacking functionality in the firmware?

You can do that on most "version 3.3" and most "version 3.2" GameSharks without the parallel port enabled. You will need to reflash the firmware onboard the unit, which can be done in standard reflashing equipment once you remove the chips. Additionally, version 3.2 carts with the parallel port enabled can be upgraded to the 3.3 software which is a little more stable, through the parallel port interface.

Some of the later "version 3.3" GameSharks without the parallel port officially enabled have a redesigned board where the space for the proper hardware is missing entirely, but you don't seem to have one of those.

Anyway here's some threads with people working on making the parallel port work with GameSharks of the proper design but the components not installed, some with parts lists to install: https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160707114504/http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/getting-parallel-port-on-gameshark-3-3-to-work.31963 https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160324183917/http://www.kodewerx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&start=0&t=7189

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

fishmech posted:

You can do that on most "version 3.3" and most "version 3.2" GameSharks without the parallel port enabled. You will need to reflash the firmware onboard the unit, which can be done in standard reflashing equipment once you remove the chips. Additionally, version 3.2 carts with the parallel port enabled can be upgraded to the 3.3 software which is a little more stable, through the parallel port interface.

Some of the later "version 3.3" GameSharks without the parallel port officially enabled have a redesigned board where the space for the proper hardware is missing entirely, but you don't seem to have one of those.

Anyway here's some threads with people working on making the parallel port work with GameSharks of the proper design but the components not installed, some with parts lists to install: https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160707114504/http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/getting-parallel-port-on-gameshark-3-3-to-work.31963 https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160324183917/http://www.kodewerx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&start=0&t=7189

drat, I was hoping all I had to do was put on the parts because I have no way to reflash it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BattleMaster posted:

drat, I was hoping all I had to do was put on the parts because I have no way to reflash it.

Depending on when the particular cartridge you have was manufactured, it may not actually need reflashing. But you probably don't want to spend all that time soldering on tiny parts to find it needs to be reflashed at the end.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

My Lovely Horse posted:

Tacky and disrespectful of creators is basically nerd fan culture in a nutshell.

I've convinced myself that if I ever wrote the next inexplicable teenage phenomenon, I would grow to hate my fans very quickly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Star Man posted:

I've convinced myself that if I ever wrote the next inexplicable teenage phenomenon, I would grow to hate my fans very quickly.

Only nerds can truly understand how awful nerds are and loath them appropriately.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally cut down a proper SFC cart to fit my SD2SNES. Was much more annoying than I was anticipating. Suggest not attempting unless you have a proper square file, side cutters, and a few good exacto knives. A small hacksaw is useful too. Biggest annoyance was the cuts running parallel to the edge of the cartridge because those you definitely don't want looking like you just haphazardly cut out, and the longer the cut is (the sd card slot) the harder it is to keep perfectly clean.

Still not 100% happy with it but until my other sacrificial carts show up from Japan it'll do. Now it's time to come up with a proper sd2snes sticker.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

worthless. posted:

sounds like a room full of the kind of people who wet their pants whenever Darth Vader turns on his lightsaber

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

rdbbb posted:

sounds like a room full of the kind of people who wet their pants whenever Darth Vader turns on his lightsaber

What if all bands just played their most popular song 3 times in a row? "hey I hope you liked Runaway, now here's Runaway again, and then one more time."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Random Stranger posted:

Only nerds can truly understand how awful nerds are and loath them appropriately.

I'd be taken away from the convention center in a body bag because I brought a milk crate full of Molotov cocktails and winged them at the audience at my own panel.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Apparently they did Answers and Dragonsong, with Susan Calloway. She also sung Eyes on Me.
"Dragonsong" was quite good! Admittedly I hadn't properly heard it until Final Steps, but I really dig it.

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I'm not too familiar with the full version of "Answers", though. Never got far enough in the Bahamut questline to hear it proper (I've done more of Alexander for cryin' out loud), and it's one of those tracks Squenix is very protective of on YouTube.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shadow Hog posted:

"Dragonsong" was quite good! Admittedly I hadn't properly heard it until Final Steps, but I really dig it.

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I'm not too familiar with the full version of "Answers", though. Never got far enough in the Bahamut questline to hear it proper (I've done more of Alexander for cryin' out loud), and it's one of those tracks Squenix is very protective of on YouTube.

Here it is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well, I dunno if I'd take any chances after both versions of Pier Solar were distilled rear end, but they made a pretty good trailer at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3CTqTzkgZQ

worthless. posted:

What if all bands just played their most popular song 3 times in a row? "hey I hope you liked Runaway, now here's Runaway again, and then one more time."

Anyway, here's Wonderwall. Three times.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

a converter to play jamma games in an MVS cabinet finally popped up on eBay. I tried to make my own but I'm bad at that sort of things and the cost of loving up is pretty high.
Also, my Gigawing hasn't suicided and it's been quite a while since I checked.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Floigan Brothers on disc DLC was finally released
http://www.dreamcastlive.net/blogs/post/All-Floigan-Bros-DLC-Released/
The DLC was on disc, but had timed VMU downloads to unlock the cosmetic items. Up until this month only the January DLC was available, but now you can have all 12 of them. More importantly is that most of these were never released back in the day because Floigan Brothers did not sell as well as anticipated (it was supposed to be the first of a series) and Frank Welker is the voice of one of the main characters.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I remember really looking forward to Floigan - something about the cartoony designs spoke to me - but then it came out and the reviews were god-awful, thus I skipped it entirely.

I have no idea if I dodged a bullet or not, in retrospect. Odds are, I probably did.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I remember the Molyneux-esque promises being made about that game way back. It makes sense that it didn't live up to expectations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, the video coming out of these $50 SCART->HDMI upscalers is... underwhelming. I was hoping for something a bit sharper but I guess I'll live with what I can get until my OSSC number comes up.

I should just bite the bullet and build an emulator box to hook up to my TV but I really dig knowing that a game is running on the real deal :)

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Man, the video coming out of these $50 SCART->HDMI upscalers is... underwhelming. I was hoping for something a bit sharper but I guess I'll live with what I can get until my OSSC number comes up.

I should just bite the bullet and build an emulator box to hook up to my TV but I really dig knowing that a game is running on the real deal :)

Upscalers are really something you can't go halfway on. Either be ready to commit or it won't be worth it. There's a reason people buy framemeisters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No, I totally get that, I just didn't realize the dropoff would be that drastic. I'm not out a lot of money so I'm not that worried about it -- and it IS still better than composite -- but I'm looking forward to getting a real solution.

• Locked thread