Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ded posted:

I've read pretty much nothing about the new Torment game. Now just 30 seconds into the game I know that it is 100% Game of the Year.

http://i.imgur.com/BpHOKJS.jpg

GAME OVER!

How the hell did you manage that?
I agree though really enjoyed the game. And bear in mind just like the first your most important skill is probably the one to recall the past and intellect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

So on the character I just leveled up for the DLC and killed princes with, I set the controller down wrong and killed the loving blacksmith.

:suicide:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

From what I gather people either love or hate Torment with absolutely no middle ground. If you're looking for a bunch of fights apparently it's kind of skimpy on that? Also who the gently caress plays an RPG styled on Planescape: Torment/Baldur's Gate for the loving combat/

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Apparently the Vella statue lets you use him again. Thank Satan.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bolow posted:

From what I gather people either love or hate Torment with absolutely no middle ground. If you're looking for a bunch of fights apparently it's kind of skimpy on that? Also who the gently caress plays an RPG styled on Planescape: Torment/Baldur's Gate for the loving combat/

No one ever accused nerds of being smart haha

There is very little combat which suited me fine because the writing is strong

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Missionary Positron posted:

Mordin's loyalty mission in ME2 might just be the best thing Bioware has ever managed to write.

What happened to you, Bioware? :smith:

Pretty much everyone who worked on ME2 quit, then everyone who worked on on ME3 quit and most of the people who worked on Dragon Age Inquisition also left. Basically Bioware has had a turnover of several hundred percent and isn't the same company any more. If they have have a 75 % sale of Andromeda I might buy it since there's basically no good game to satisfy my sci fi exploration itch.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Pretty much everyone who worked on ME2 quit, then everyone who worked on on ME3 quit and most of the people who worked on Dragon Age Inquisition also left. Basically Bioware has had a turnover of several hundred percent and isn't the same company any more. If they have have a 75 % sale of Andromeda I might buy it since there's basically no good game to satisfy my sci fi exploration itch.

That's honestly what I felt happened just based on these videos of ME:A. loving bullshit where companies hire talented programmers et al, grind them down with 80 hour work weeks and no overtime pay, they finally get sick of it and quit. Then the cycle begins anew. Except this time they hired probably fresh out of college programmers, designers, etc who apparently barely cobbled together a game.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Mike-o posted:

That's honestly what I felt happened just based on these videos of ME:A. loving bullshit where companies hire talented programmers et al, grind them down with 80 hour work weeks and no overtime pay, they finally get sick of it and quit. Then the cycle begins anew. Except this time they hired probably fresh out of college programmers, designers, etc who apparently barely cobbled together a game.

So basically the original ME-trilogy is actually a tale about the abuse of labor in the game industry, in which predatory companies (reapers) harvest new game studios/devs (civilizations)? Brb, writing a scathing Marxist critique. :v:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even in still screenshots that character model just looks wrong.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

So basically the original ME-trilogy is actually a tale about the abuse of labor in the game industry, in which predatory companies (reapers) harvest new game studios/devs (civilizations)? Brb, writing a scathing Marxist critique. :v:

I WROTE IT FIRST, COPYRIGHT, COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT!!!!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Two Finger posted:

How the hell did you manage that?
I agree though really enjoyed the game. And bear in mind just like the first your most important skill is probably the one to recall the past and intellect.

Go fast.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I watched a quick 13 minute or so video of the only youtube game guys I can stand last night as they poked Andromeda, and one of them brought up an interesting point:

Andromeda takes place around the same time as Mass Effect 2.

ME2 had planet probing.

Why does the spiffy "find a new home" ship not have the capability to probe planets?

Of course this is the same game where in the tutorial mission you repair your cracked helmet with your wrist computer but at the end oh no you can't repair it this time time for NOBLE SACRIFICE WOWEE so if you can't manage consistency within the first hour of your own game maybe expecting consistency between entire games is a bit much to ask.

God drat it's like Bethesda wrote this :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

I watched a quick 13 minute or so video of the only youtube game guys I can stand last night as they poked Andromeda, and one of them brought up an interesting point:

ME2 had planet probing.

Why does the spiffy "find a new home" ship not have the capability to probe planets?

Of course this is the same game where in the tutorial mission you repair your cracked helmet with your wrist computer but at the end oh no you can't repair it this time time for NOBLE SACRIFICE WOWEE so if you can't manage consistency within the first hour of your own game maybe expecting consistency between entire games is a bit much to ask.

Am I missing something? You do probe planets?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Am I missing something? You do probe planets?

I think he's referring to probing for minerals from orbit in ME2 as opposed to probing on the ground in MEA.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I think he's referring to probing for minerals from orbit in ME2 as opposed to probing on the ground in MEA.

Oh, ok. I mean you still probe from orbit for anomalies though just not minerals (and sometimes the anomalies are minerals)

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

The reaction from EDI when you probe the 7th planet from the sun was great.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Steezo posted:

The reaction from EDI when you probe the 7th planet from the sun was great.

Really, Commander?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Really, Commander?

:sigh: probing uranus

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
ME:A will be cool once enough people put out a guide on how to skip the pointless poo poo in the game.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite activity on the Citadel.

Somehow the fight scenes and animations are better in ME2 than ME:A, crazy.

EDIT: http://lalagif.com/spacegob lmao

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 27, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite activity on the Citadel.

Somehow the fight scenes and animations are better in ME2 than ME:A, crazy.

EDIT: http://lalagif.com/spacegob lmao

one of these things owns the other is goddamned terrible

also i already got space interviewed and there was no option to punch the reporter at the first meeting

terrible game

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 27, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

ME2 had planet probing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANAIeUmdrJ0&t=471s

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Two Finger posted:

Oh, ok. I mean you still probe from orbit for anomalies though just not minerals (and sometimes the anomalies are minerals)

Yeah I didn't know you can still probe. Still seems silly as heck :shobon:

That's the one!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mike-o posted:

Video game temp agency. Most the time they probably get away with it though and everyone buys the game

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The multiplayer is glitchy and bugged as hell too. After dumping 300+ hours into ME3, I'm barely north of 10. The game loses connection all the time, complete lockups, insane and bizarre glitches where you can no longer move, or no longer melee, enemies get stuck in walls, the balance of the game is completely hosed to the point where only sniper rifles and pistols are worth using at all, you can get trapped in levels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpU5nj9SIZw
It's not good enough to say 'well it's just out, they'll have to do some balancing and bug fixing.'
Not when you're dropping 3 out of 5 matches.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
most big game development teams are made up of essentially independent contractors who are let go after the game goes gold. companies arent worried about retaining people because theres a neverending supply of nerds graduating with game dev degrees who will work for peanuts and under poo poo conditions. those same nerds tend to be your standard south park libertarian so lol if you think theyll ever successfully unionize

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The last five pages have completely killed any desire I had to play the ME series.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

The last five pages have completely killed any desire I had to play the ME series.

play the first three, stop after the tuchanka missions in 3 and pretend the series ended there

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Two Finger posted:

play the first three, stop after the tuchanka missions in 3 and pretend the series ended there

well at least do the party DLC and the evil Shepherd DLC

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

well at least do the party DLC and the evil Shepherd DLC

"....i should go."
actually leviathan is well worth playing too

Goddamn, the collector ship mission in ME2 has such good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3_1gwzbV84

ack i'm so loving annoyed, there were so many warning signs before it came out and like a drunk clinging to an empty gin bottle i just hung on to my preorder :(

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Two Finger posted:

I disagree, play through until Rannoch to put a capstone on the Quarian/Geth storyline.

ME3 had several high points floating in a sea of stupid bullshit. Assuming you saved everyone in 2, the reappearance of Grunt, Grissom Academy (depending on how you felt about Jack), Tuchanka, the Asari Monastery (assuming you didn't binge on multiplayer before playing the game), and Rannoch are the high points. Everything else is loving terrible.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

I disagree, play through until Rannoch to put a capstone on the Quarian/Geth storyline.

ME3 had several high points floating in a sea of stupid bullshit. Assuming you saved everyone in 2, the reappearance of Grunt, Grissom Academy (depending on how you felt about Jack), Tuchanka, the Asari Monastery (assuming you didn't binge on multiplayer before playing the game), and Rannoch are the high points. Everything else is loving terrible.

I liked the general feel of storming Earth. Like, everything is hosed, everyone's dying around you, got to somehow get through. Pity about everything that followed after.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

redneck nazgul posted:

For me, the moment that always sticks out in ME3 is when you're just hanging out and having a shooting competition with Garrus on top the of the Presidium. Garrus & Shep, bros 4 lyfe :unsmith: .

The game really needed more character moments like that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Anyone picking up em el bee 17 tomorrow

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDjci1ODoBs

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

redneck nazgul posted:

I played ME3 fairly recently, having held off for a long time due to the poor reputation and its absence on Steam. I thought it was really good from the start right up through the aftermath of the Illusive Man confrontation. The final moment with Anderson got me a little choked up. Of note, I played with all of the DLC, including the Citadel DLC, which puts a lot of capstones on the interpersonal relationships.

The ending was...less satisfying, but didn't bother me as much as some people. The best you could hope for was bittersweet. I think it was mostly unsatisfying for two reasons: 1) they laid the groundwork for a happier ending with certain moments with crewmates and 2) ME2 established that if you put in the work throughout the game, you could have your cake and eat it too in the end (e.g., the Suicide Mission). As it stands, all of your work at best opens up an ending that is slightly better--and that is arguable.

However, I would pay for Shepard and Garrus adventures forever. Throw Wrex or Grunt in for a bonus.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm four hours in ME2. Garrus is so cool.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Can it wait a minute? I'm.....working on some calibrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ME2 is definitely worth a visit if you haven't ever played it. Not sure about 1, it hasn't aged too well. The movement and combat is janky as gently caress. I didn't find ME3 to be as bad as everyone made it out to be. Well, aside from the ending. It definitely wasn't as good as 2