Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It is well known that rubbing your donger on something is a sign of dominance and possession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

10 car names Brits (most Americans, too) pronounce wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHnUA96wGcA

i feel like we shouldn't be deferring to the Japanese on how to pronounce the name of the Zoroastrian deity

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Alaois posted:

i feel like we shouldn't be deferring to the Japanese on how to pronounce the name of the Zoroastrian deity

The company was founded by a man named Jujiro Matsuda.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The company was founded by a man named Jujiro Matsuda.

it's also named after Ahura Mazda.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Alaois posted:

It's got to come down to the original language of the creator though. It's like the whole Java thing, do you pronounce it the way the locals would or the mashup that some overweight Californian nerd that invented it?

I remember hearing Porsche say something once along the lines of "We know our name is said differently around the world, the correct way is blah but we don't care as long as you buy our cars"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uh excuse me I know it's spelled "Germany" but the proper pronunciation is "Deutschland" because that's what they say in Germany

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

uh excuse me I know it's spelled "Germany" but the proper pronunciation is "Deutschland" because that's what they say in Germany
There's also meant to be two of them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-porting-thread/84995

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

404 page.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fak.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-porting-thread/84995/page1/

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Does this belong here? (from autocross today)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

net work error posted:

Does this belong here? (from autocross today)

YES

Datsun 1600 2-doors are the absolute tits. I love those things.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Speak for yourself. :colbert:

Seriously though, I tried pronouncing "Porsche" the proper way for a day and everyone thought I had brain damage.

They probably thought you needed to shut up about Porches.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Memento posted:

YES

Datsun 1600 2-doors are the absolute tits. I love those things.

Car that small shouldn't need two spots though, owner is a moron.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Car that small shouldn't need two spots though, owner is a moron.

Maybe he owns 3 and parks all 3 there.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

He trailered it in and it's autocross so everyone is using up two spots to put all their stuff out anyways. :shrug:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

We went totally the wrong way in terms of car design into the 80s and beyond. #wedgelyfe

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
First question is "WHY" followed by "I wonder how pissed of some people get by this".

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nidhg00670000 posted:

First question is "WHY" followed by "I wonder how pissed of some people get by this".

I kinda want to find an 03/04 Cobra with a blown engine, and put an LS7 in it. With Ford badges on the valve covers.

Piss off literally everyone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrYenko posted:

I kinda want to find an 03/04 Cobra with a blown engine, and put an LS7 in it. With Ford badges on the valve covers.

Piss off literally everyone.

LoL.

Didn't some dude build the NISMO Mustang from Tokyo Drift and it got vandalized?

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
I don't know if it counts as awesome but today on the way to work I saw an Acura TSX that was instead branded as "euro R" on the rear. It didn't say Honda or Accord so I don't know if the guy took the badges off of something else or if it was actually an Accord "euro R." It was immaculate and looked really nice. If anything was done to the car it was engine only because the exterior looked pretty stock, save for the exhaust.

Didn't snap a picture but it was kinda neat and I got to learn what an Accord euro R was.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What about Abomination?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rhyno posted:

Didn't some dude build the NISMO Mustang from Tokyo Drift and it got vandalized?

I want to get an old 50s pickup with a straight 6 and drop and RB25 in it just for the seething rage it will drive people too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

I want to get an old 50s pickup with a straight 6 and drop and RB25 in it just for the seething rage it will drive people too.

i've often wondered how much of an r32 GT-R drivetrain would fit into an AMC eagle.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

um excuse me posted:

What about Abomination?

I mean it's not really edgelord anymore to do a 2jz swap. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

i've often wondered how much of an r32 GT-R drivetrain would fit into an AMC eagle.

My dream was to turn a Ferrari into a Fierro someday. Then somebody went and did it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think a part of it is doing something like that to an older mustang. I'm sure it angered plenty of old guys sitting in their folding lawn chairs.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Powershift posted:

It should fit but it depends if you want the 4WD system or not. The RB25 out of a R33 GTST or R34 GTT (not an R32 GTST as that is an RB20 and a bit gutless) with the standard box should slot into anything that is RWD.

Edit: While there are places in the US who will sell you a JDM engine including an RB25/RB26 I am not sure if the thing is road legal as I can't find anything about that engine being sold in the US so it doesn't have type approval. You might be able to drop it into something that is old enough to not have to worry about smog in some states. Why does this have to be so hard?

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 27, 2017

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Project Binky tells me anything is possible.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, little of this thread, little of the other thread. My exhaust leak is fixed, so the car lost some character.

The good news it's holy poo poo I forgot how smoother riding it was without the leak.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

net work error posted:

He trailered it in and it's autocross so everyone is using up two spots to put all their stuff out anyways. :shrug:

Trailering to autocross defeats the point of doing autocross.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Forreals, just stick to trackdays.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Octopus Magic posted:

Modified-class autocross is a great, cheap way to dial in track cars.

Just sayin'. :colbert:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rhyno posted:

My dream was to turn a Ferrari into a Fierro someday. Then somebody went and did it.

I need to see this

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno if you guys have these too, but within a reasonable range here there are at least 3-4 small tracks which were probably originally for karts that I think strike a great balance between keeping the speeds low and safe, and not having to put up with autocross bullshit. You just show up and can drive around for 10+ minutes depending on traffic or until you're sick of it. Then at the end of the day everybody can get a few timed laps too so everyone's happy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Dunno if you guys have these too, but within a reasonable range here there are at least 3-4 small tracks which were probably originally for karts that I think strike a great balance between keeping the speeds low and safe, and not having to put up with autocross bullshit. You just show up and can drive around for 10+ minutes depending on traffic or until you're sick of it. Then at the end of the day everybody can get a few timed laps too so everyone's happy.

Noooooooope

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Octopus Magic posted:

You think so but some dudes are super serious. They'll submit tech complaints to other drivers, go to score booths for points corrections, go to nationals every year, it's nuts

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

When I used to autocross there were two options in my area. One was SCCA and the other was everyone who was sick of the SCCA groups rule lawyering. Group 2 was NASA sanctioned for insurance but otherwise was very open with the rules and classes. (Not safety wise on the rules, that was well done)

I miss laid back autox. It was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wasabi the J posted:

I need to see this

I'm looking for it! It was an absolute pile of poo poo and the guy had a sense of humor so he "fierroed" it up as much as he could.