Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Panzeh posted:

0083 is really hard to get through but it looks much much better coming from watching 0079 and zeta.

I thought 0083 was a breeze to get through? What makes it hard to get through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the characters and story, largely, suck donkey balls

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I thought 0083 was a breeze to get through? What makes it hard to get through?

It's poop from a butt.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's a handsome turd

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I feel stupid I was confusing it with 08th ms team. Yes 0083 is bad. But that intro song is still amazing.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
0083 is good looking, but thats about the only thing it has going for it

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
loving PIECE OF poo poo MONSHA

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kuvo posted:

0083 is good looking, but thats about the only thing it has going for it

Kawamori
Music
Suit design
Kawamori
Mobile Armors
Kawamori
Kawamori

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Kawamori
Music
Suit design
Kawamori
Mobile Armors
Kawamori
Kawamori

Also this scene (which I suppose technically ticks off all of those points, actually):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP3TX47VK3k

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

0083 is worth a look just for the ms design and animation alone. It's probably the best looking gundam thing ever made.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

0083 is worth a look just for the ms design and animation alone. It's probably the best looking gundam thing ever made.

Thunderbolt?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Best looking pre digital painting Gundam. Also has Kawamoto character designs and he is amazing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Maybe I'll try watching Wing again.

Please leave updates on your thoughts and progress.

I should re-watch Wing, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watching Wing should be a litmus test for your insanity threshold.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd watch wing again for the ost, it's one of the absolute best gundam soundtracks.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Just finished re-watching Wing and all the shameful love I have for it came rushing back. Gonna blow so much money on the official Glory of Losers translation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Just finished re-watching Wing and all the shameful love I have for it came rushing back. Gonna blow so much money on the official Glory of Losers translation.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea it was legally translated. I wish it was digitally available but oh well.

Thanks for the info.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tulalip Tulips posted:

There is no shame in loving the second best non-Universal Century Gundams.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

fivegears4reverse posted:

There is no shame in loving the second best non-Universal Century Gundams.

Part of it is that I have a lot thoughts on Relena and even though Wing wasn't my first Gundam (that was 0080 and 0083) it was my first dip into fandom and as a teenage girl who really, really liked Relena and giant robots fighting each other it definitely made an impression.

But really, I still have a lot of thoughts about Relena and Wing and why it was great but also why it desperately needed better editing.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SloE7AjqI

I feel like posting this video is obligatory whenever Wing comes back up in the discussion. Someone else can post General Septum and his wonderful voice :toot:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Part of it is that I have a lot thoughts on Relena and even though Wing wasn't my first Gundam (that was 0080 and 0083) it was my first dip into fandom and as a teenage girl who really, really liked Relena and giant robots fighting each other it definitely made an impression.

But really, I still have a lot of thoughts about Relena and Wing and why it was great but also why it desperately needed better editing.

Relena is hands down my favorite Gundam female because she is actually the real hero of the story. The Gundam Boys fight and fight and fight and that's cool but the point of the first "arc" of the show is that fighting is dumb and worthless on its own. Going around wrecking poo poo isn't helping anyone or changing anything. Come the second half of the series and her reforming the Sanc Kingdom, she's pretty much the beacon of hope for everyone in the world and the colonies and our heroes just serve as her bodyguards.

It's why the Gundam 00 attempt to "deconstruct" her with Poverty Princess was just awful and quite frankly insulting. Marina is nothing like Relena so the mockery fell quite flat.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I've watched Wing in its entirety like five times since it originally aired on CN and got me into Gundam in the first place. I couldn't tell you what happens in the back third of the series though.

Time to make that six times I think.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

NikkolasKing posted:

Relena is hands down my favorite Gundam female because she is actually the real hero of the story. The Gundam Boys fight and fight and fight and that's cool but the point of the first "arc" of the show is that fighting is dumb and worthless on its own. Going around wrecking poo poo isn't helping anyone or changing anything. Come the second half of the series and her reforming the Sanc Kingdom, she's pretty much the beacon of hope for everyone in the world and the colonies and our heroes just serve as her bodyguards.

It's why the Gundam 00 attempt to "deconstruct" her with Poverty Princess was just awful and quite frankly insulting. Marina is nothing like Relena so the mockery fell quite flat.

There's also the point where the evil dudes try to leverage her popularity by setting her up as the figurehead queen of the world and her response is to go "gotcha, suckers" and actually wield that level of authority.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SloE7AjqI

I feel like posting this video is obligatory whenever Wing comes back up in the discussion. Someone else can post General Septum and his wonderful voice :toot:

Enjoy the MORBIL ZOOTS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wing overall had a pretty good cast of female characters. Dorothy has the greatest set of eyebrows ever and the relationship between her and Relena is one of the best things in the series.
Also Lady Une shoots Septim while he falls out of the plane.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The animation quality also goes up for the last 10 episodes or so. I still think Rhythm Emotion is one of the best animated Gundam OPs - it's so clean, especially for the last two episodes of the series.

Wing in general had a pretty good cast, I think. What I always get disappointed with is that Noin, who is talked up as a good soldier, doesn't ever really show it. Except for the episode where she single handedly busts Sally out of jail and then recovers Wing Gundam

Caros
May 14, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

Wing overall had a pretty good cast of female characters. Dorothy has the greatest set of eyebrows ever and the relationship between her and Relena is one of the best things in the series.

That scene ruined the dark knight rises for me. Bane isn't nearly as much of a badass if he wonders about shooting someone before throwing him out of a plane.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Wing in general had a pretty good cast, I think. What I always get disappointed with is that Noin, who is talked up as a good soldier, doesn't ever really show it. Except for the episode where she single handedly busts Sally out of jail and then recovers Wing Gundam

Its a great cast that gets brought down to pretty good singlehandly by Wufei.
But you need Wufei for that scene where his whole colony trolls him by blowing themselves up and then Treize does pretty much the same thing with his death.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how Heero broke more bones than are physically in the human body.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I like Wufei rolls in with his "you guys are dumb and got trolled by Trieze" in the first half of the series only to get used in the exact same way in the last third of the series. Karma bitch.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Dorothy is my other favorite Gundam lady and the relationship between her and Relena is a big reason I prefer the second half of Wing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I always thought it was weird the mobile doll concept never came up in any other gundam series.

Since Wing was the first one I watched, I figured at the time it was a staple of the franchise, but nope it's only ever in Wing. I guess it would be hard to do in the UC what with minovsky particles, but that just means you can use newtypes for it!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Begemot posted:

I always thought it was weird the mobile doll concept never came up in any other gundam series.

Since Wing was the first one I watched, I figured at the time it was a staple of the franchise, but nope it's only ever in Wing. I guess it would be hard to do in the UC what with minovsky particles, but that just means you can use newtypes for it!

Drone AIs have come up in other series. (Most recently the AI Mobile Armors in IBO.) They're never given as much focus because honestly an army of drones tends to weaken some of the conflict ideas. It works (for as much as anything does) in wing because it's about the dehumanization of warfare but a lot of the focus of any Gundam series is on the conflict between two sides.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/846542630456516608

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I mean in the end Heero threatening to kill Relena worked out pretty well for everyone in the end. Except for the population of Mars but that's another issue.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I like Wufei rolls in with his "you guys are dumb and got trolled by Trieze" in the first half of the series only to get used in the exact same way in the last third of the series. Karma bitch.
And then Frozen Teardrop shits on him further by having him end up a hermit (IIRC), and swapping in Noin's son to fill in for the lack of Wufei having a kid/clone of himself/genderswap clone of himself/etc. to maintain the five Gundam pilot ensemble.

Although on the flip side, Frozen Teardrop turns Duo into a deadbeat dad, so that's not cool.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I mean in the end Heero threatening to kill Relena worked out pretty well for everyone in the end. Except for the population of Mars but that's another issue.

Eh. Being a Martian always sucks in Gundam. It's even more consistent than not being able to trust people from Jupiter.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

And then Frozen Teardrop shits on him further by having him end up a hermit (IIRC), and swapping in Noin's son to fill in for the lack of Wufei having a kid/clone of himself/genderswap clone of himself/etc. to maintain the five Gundam pilot ensemble.

Although on the flip side, Frozen Teardrop turns Duo into a deadbeat dad, so that's not cool.

And Noin's son ends up fighting it out with Trowa!Clone for literal genderswap Quatre!Clone while Wufei basically sits in the background.

You know you've hosed up when Zechs is a better deadbeat dad than you. At least his kids pretended to be kinda sad when fake!Zechs died although it definitely makes Zechs/Noin a lot weirder for me since her brother is basically Zechs.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 28, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wing is great.

Watch the dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam series are almost always better with the dubs, I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.