Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he certainly does cover the whole spectrum of "brow furrowed" to "brow slightly more furrowed"

It's a shame too, Cavill's super charismatic.

quote:

They are however preoccupied with "removing alien beings" to "preserve human life".

Tell that to Zod's snapped neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a shame too, Cavill's super charismatic.

I still haven't seen the movie, but just the trailer for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. shows a charm you'd never know he had from the Superman movies or Immortals.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

Yikes. No, I disagree, I don't believe war criminals are preoccupied with killing one alien being, and nothing or no one else, to preserve life on planet Earth.

Batman kills a number of other people on his quest to kill to Superman.

http://i.imgur.com/6U2wzEW.gifv

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still haven't seen the movie, but just the trailer for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. shows a charm you'd never know he had from the Superman movies or Immortals.

You should if you get a chance, it's pretty good. Really hard to find to rent though, it's only on Stars (I think); otherwise you have to buy it outright.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

You predicted 2003 Hulk fighting a mutant poodle and his own father who turned into a jellyfish made of anger energy?

well i never actually caught that one(or the other hulk movie now that i'm thinking about it) but i was talking more the general direction of the plot since the contention was 'there were no stakes in bvs because i knew batman and superman would end up as allies'

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They are however preoccupied with "removing alien beings" to "preserve human life".

Oh, what's that, an added "s" at the end of "being" which completely changes things? And you're also implying that Batman is delusional and Superman isn't actually a creature from another planet, and that Batman is exaggerating the threat Superman potentially poses.

Batman is an antagonist.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

You should if you get a chance, it's pretty good. Really hard to find to rent though, it's only on Stars (I think); otherwise you have to buy it outright.

I've rented it from the library a couple of times but still haven't gotten around to watching it. Guy Ritchie is not a filmmaker who generally fills me with confidence, but it looked fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cvnvcnv posted:

Oh, what's that, an added "s" at the end of "being" which completely changes things? And you're also implying that Batman is delusional and Superman isn't actually a creature from another planet, and that Batman is exaggerating the threat Superman potentially poses.

Batman is an antagonist.

Well, the film itself implies that Batman is delusional and that his opposition to Superman is ideological and dogmatic.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he certainly does cover the whole spectrum of "brow furrowed" to "brow slightly more furrowed"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

finding three pics of him doing the Mona Lisa smile doesn't really support your claim as much as you think it does

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, the film itself implies that Batman is delusional and that his opposition to Superman is ideological and dogmatic.
But he is not delusional as a war criminals is. He felt helpless to stop an event which caused an incredible number of deaths and Superman had a direct hand in which allowed him to be made a force of opposition while still otherwise being a hero. His ideology is that such an event cannot occur again, that merely wanting to believe in good isn't enough in the face of actual godlike powers. This is what permits the villain to pit two heroes against each other, one framed but innocent and the other pure of motivation but to the point of betraying himself and the larger mission. That is the narrative. To say the story is that a villain pitted a hero and a different villain against each other, the entire movie collapses. But whatever, I get the sense there's semantics​ at play here.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

finding three pics of him doing the Mona Lisa smile doesn't really support your claim as much as you think it does

Your examples that disprove my argument don't count! :cheeky:

No backsies!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's pulling from the stuff I had on-hand, which is mostly based around the action scenes. He's more expressive in the more dramatic scenes, but I won't bother with digging into those for caps when those pics are enough to show that the character obviously feels affection for people.

I won't disagree that Cavill's not as overwhelmingly charming in BvS as he in Man from UNCLE, but the movie doesn't call for that.

cvnvcnv posted:

But he is not delusional as a war criminals is. He felt helpless to stop an event which caused an incredible number of deaths and Superman had a direct hand in which allowed him to be made a force of opposition while still otherwise being a hero. His ideology is that such an event cannot occur again, that merely wanting to believe in good isn't enough in the face of actual godlike powers. This is what permits the villain to pit two heroes against each other, one framed but innocent and the other pure of motivation but to the point of betraying himself and the larger mission. That is the narrative. To say the story is that a villain pitted a hero and a different villain against each other, the entire movie collapses. But whatever, I get the sense there's semantics​ at play here.

Even if Batman wasn't trying to kill Superman out of irrational terror, he's torturing people and marking them for death. He's a villain.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm not disputing that the man is capable of smiling, it's just funny that those three pics are the ones posted to back up how expressive a face he has.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm not disputing that the man is capable of smiling, it's just funny that those three pics are the ones posted to back up how expressive he is.

It's backing up that he doesn't just furrow his brow, which is the dumb thing you posted.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's backing up that he doesn't just furrow his brow, which is the dumb thing you posted.

I'm glad he could clear that bar

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm glad he could clear that bar

:rolleyes:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Keep shifting those goalposts UB.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Look we could spend all day/month/year proving that everything Uncle Boogeyman posts is dumb but then when would we have time to watch and analyze the remaining 16 hours of super hero movies that are coming out this year?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
In other news, Collider is reporting that the Venom standalone film is not only intended to kickstart Sony's own cinematic universe but that it will be R-rated

quote:

However, there’s also the previously announced Venom standalone film and its recently confirmed release date of October 5, 2018. Scripted by Dante Harper (Alien: Covenant) and produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, we’re hearing that Sony is developing Venom not only as the film to launch their own Marvel Universe, but as an R-rated effort.

http://collider.com/venom-movie-rating-r/?utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social#sony-marvel-universe

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sony has other licenses besides Spider-Man?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder if we'll get the Aunt May movie this time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Are there comics where Venom is the hero (or anti-hero or whatever, the person you're rooting for), not a villain?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Are there comics where Venom is the hero (or anti-hero or whatever, the person you're rooting for), not a villain?

Yes, he had his own series for a while.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Flash Venom is pretty great, and better than Eddie "Lethal Protector" Brock

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I don't know why you people consistently engage with the troll who makes dumb comments about the movie he's never seen.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if we'll get the Aunt May movie this time.
:corrupt:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I don't know why you people consistently engage with the troll who makes dumb comments about the movie he's never seen.

Boogey is alright, he's just much lazier when talking about movies he dislikes than movies he likes. He's a much better poster in the horror thread.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd like Batman to proclaim in JL he was a gun addict who quit guns and is sober now but Goddamnit invading aliens pulled him back in.

Also Snyder putting in a Lego Batman vehicle is awesome

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

hiddenriverninja posted:

Sony has other licenses besides Spider-Man?

Through the Spider-Man deal they have rights to all other Spider-Man characters. That's what their cinematic universe is going to be.

They had a Sinister Six, Spider-Man, Venom, and Aunt May (as a WWII super spy) movie release schedule planned originally. Not sure what the plan is now.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I could do with a Aunt May femme fatale spy under cover who has work her way up to assassinate Hitler as long as it still has Marisa Tomei.

What awesome casting. As long as it is an actual R rated drama directed by Fincher and character sudy

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Boogey is alright, he's just much lazier when talking about movies he dislikes than movies he likes. He's a much better poster in the horror thread.

you take that back sir my posting in this thread has at least as much range as Henry Cavill's facial expressions

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sir Kodiak posted:

There was a whole series in the 90's where Brock has basically "tamed" his symbiote by having the malicious part of it removed (somehow) and they clone the evil symbiote to create an army of male and female Venom children (there's like 8 or 9 total) and Venom wants to stop the symbiote from being abused, reabsorb the rogue elements, and become whole again. But when he reabsorbs the pieces he becomes more and more malicious.

He had another series where he is basically a secret agent.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
They could just like, make a movie that doesn't have to start a franchise-universe, but maybe that's just me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They had a Sinister Six, Spider-Man, Venom, and Aunt May (as a WWII super spy) movie release schedule planned originally. Not sure what the plan is now.

They tossed out that whole plan when Amazing Spider-Man 2 under-performed critically (that's when they went crawling back to Marvel). I'd guess the reason they're dipping their feet in the water again with Venom is because they're taking the wrong lesson from Deadpool and Logan and thinking, "R-rated comic movie = ALL THE BUCKS!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

They could just like, make a movie that doesn't have to start a franchise-universe, but maybe that's just me.

get the gently caress out of this thread

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's not a total oxymoron to have a movie that is both a cinematic universe starter and also rated-R but it just reeks of "the other guys were successful with this so let's do it!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, the core idea of "violent alien crash lands on Earth and creates a symbiosis with a human who must struggle with his post-symbiotic dual identities" is a story that could easily carry itself, connection to the Spider-verse or no. They just need to find the right story for it (spoiler: they won't) and run with the core concept, not worrying about continuity or canon. My pitch would be that Carnage crash lands on Earth pursued by Venom, and they play out an interpersonal interstellar rivalry using human beings as their weapons of choice.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Flash Venom is pretty great, and better than Eddie "Lethal Protector" Brock

Would be very, legitimately amazing if they went with Flash and there was a $100m+ R-rated blockbuster comic book action film starring Tony Revolori as Venom.

They'll do something dumb with a big beefy white dude instead. But still.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timby posted:

They tossed out that whole plan when Amazing Spider-Man 2 under-performed critically (that's when they went crawling back to Marvel). I'd guess the reason they're dipping their feet in the water again with Venom is because they're taking the wrong lesson from Deadpool and Logan and thinking, "R-rated comic movie = ALL THE BUCKS!"

If they do something like i the comics leading up to the Lethal Protector storyline in the 90s it could honestly be pretty funny. Venom just trying to be a reporter and it's not like he WANTS to eat people's brains but for some reasons the criminals he keeps doing a super lovely job investigating try to intimidate him or beat him up? I mean what else can he do? Totally not his fault at all. I'm sure you're right and that Sony just sees the R rated Fox movies making money and wants to follow suit, but there were a lot of comics with Venom that honestly were pretty funny in this absurd authoritarian 2000 AD way that you could do something cool with. Sucks Sony won't actually tap into that. Like Venom would have been best in the hands of 80s Frank Henenlotter.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, the core idea of "violent alien crash lands on Earth and creates a symbiosis with a human who must struggle with his post-symbiotic dual identities" is a story that could easily carry itself, connection to the Spider-verse or no. They just need to find the right story for it (spoiler: they won't). My pitch would be that Carnage crash lands on Earth pursued by Venom, and they play out an interpersonal interstellar rivalry using human beings as their weapons of choice.

This is basically The Hidden, which is a rad movie if you haven't seen it.

• Locked thread