Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh no, they have been slowly and deliberate upping the bullshit. It's the gacha game bullshit creep. They trickle in a little more pain as the weeks go by to get you to hit that store up. If you really want to :tinfoil:, it would be interesting to see how many of us drew Cid that have dropped cash in the store vs F2P users...

The one time I dared drop cash on this game, I did draw the banner 5* pretty easily- Delita. But next banner, Ramza burned me and my wallet pretty hard, so... ennh?

Though I suppose I did get Ramza on what was gonna be my last pull ever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Cash dropper with no TGC reporting in.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm not saying it was Ancient Aliens, but....

Seriously though, 3/4 times I've put $100 in the store I drew the base 5 banner character in one or two 11 pulls. Happened with Lightning, Luneth, and Cid. I'm sure it's all probability, statistics, and math or whatever, but :tinfoil:

The 1/4 time I didn't was because I wasn't pulling, it was to speed grind TM gear. (Of course I pulled Olive, Marie,and Queen a few weeks later now that I think about it...). :tinfoil:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 27, 2017

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm not saying it was Ancient Aliens, but....

Seriously though, 3/4 times I've put $100 in the store I drew the base 5 banner character in one or two 11 pulls. Happened with Lightning, Luneth, and Cid. I'm sure it's all probability, statistics, and math or whatever, but :tinfoil:

All the whale videos with 200+ pulls argue otherwise, unless you want to get more conspiracy crazy and say they mess with the whale's pulls too

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, if I may:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3TDK4G9Drs

I think that's over 1000$ in pulls. Quickly made back in Twitch donations as someone dropped a 500$ donation.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tengames posted:

All the whale videos with 200+ pulls argue otherwise, unless you want to get more conspiracy crazy and say they mess with the whale's pulls too

Nah, I'm already mostly full of poo poo about gumi and gacha rates, no need to go off the deep end.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I spent $100 each on the WoL and Lightning banners and got neither character. I haven't spent any money on banners because of that. Bundles like the Christmas ones are totally worth, though.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Full disclosure, I've probably dropped about $500 on the game, but almost all of that was grinding TMs. The only banner I actively chased was Olive's but I knew I would probably get a bunch of Shines instead. 4 11-pulls did get me a Greg and a bunch of Shines.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh no, they have been slowly and deliberate upping the bullshit. It's the gacha game bullshit creep. They trickle in a little more pain as the weeks go by to get you to hit that store up. If you really want to :tinfoil:, it would be interesting to see how many of us drew Cid that have dropped cash in the store vs F2P users...

Mark me down as having spent cash, but still having the worst* pull rate known to man.

*: not literally worst, just only pulling 4 rainbows over the lifetime of the game, with similar pull amounts to Fenrir and his over 20 rainbows.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

HGH posted:

Yeah, if I may:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3TDK4G9Drs

I think that's over 1000$ in pulls. Quickly made back in Twitch donations as someone dropped a 500$ donation.

How do I get stupid people to give me money to play videogames on my phone?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

WebDO posted:

How do I get stupid people to give me money to play videogames on my phone?

Can you afford Arnold Schwarzenegger?

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Dana, any chance you could free up a few more friend slots so I could share in some of your Ultimate Dodge Goddess?

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

SmockJoc posted:

Dana, any chance you could free up a few more friend slots so I could share in some of your Ultimate Dodge Goddess?

what's your ID? you're not on the list!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
My god it is practically raining chocobos today. 3x yellow, 3x black, and then two runs with 2 red 1 yellow. I've picked up over 30k event currency so far today in maybe a dozen runs. :psyduck:

(I'm going to get 0 chocobos for a week now)

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is firion and Xiao worth investing in?

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Evil Fluffy posted:

My god it is practically raining chocobos today. 3x yellow, 3x black, and then two runs with 2 red 1 yellow. I've picked up over 30k event currency so far today in maybe a dozen runs. :psyduck:

(I'm going to get 0 chocobos for a week now)

Yeah, the event currency drops are really pleasant this time around. I'm actually almost done with everything I feel like getting (Not gonna grab Durandal because I have several Excaliburs cooking). Got tickets, megacite, cheap mats, quartz, Kiyomori...

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

Firion definitely is. He has killer passives against just about everything and is a super strong chain finisher because of it. Xiao is ok if you don't have many other dps units. She's very middle-of-the-pack.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
If this wasn't tied to my household bank account in iTunes I would probably be in the $250 range by now. Also, the whole "named trust moogles" did it in for me, and I'll never put money into the game unless it's fixed (horse beaten by me).

That's about as much as I would spend in the other F2P style game I used to play on PC (Warframe). Most of the time it was credits for blueprints to craft better things since you could grind at it for an unlimited amount of time.

This King offering seems a bit more sensical compared to the 75k axe with nothing special we had 2 months back.

Edit: wtf is this TGC acronym? Something something Cid

hagie fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 27, 2017

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Thunder God Cid

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

I still think 6* Xiao is kind of interesting, and rotate her in from time to time. She's always felt like a budget unit to me, since with Brawl she doesn't really need any fist weapons unless they're TM-level (especially if you put ATK pots on her). And she can inflict -40%Atk/Def with Rockbreaker, which I imagine is stronger than a lot of teams have. With +20% Hp she isn't too fragile, she's at least immune to Blind naturally, and she supplements her medicore damage skills with a high Counter chance. And uh, she's got better-than-Bladeblitz AoE?

She's not so great for chaining, though, and she takes too many uncommon TMs (so they couldn't later be used on better units) and doesn't scale well enough with them to be useful (though I've heard good things about Kaiser Knucks+Champion's Belt/s?). So replacing her is more inevitable than most units.

Firion meanwhile gets crazy good after enhancements, as I understand it you just need to cook him a source of Dual Wield and he's really good, and one of the best people to go all out on with enhancements. If you have to pick one, definitely go with Firion, if you can easily afford two and are lacking melee units, especially a good Breaker, Xiao should be fine for at least a little while longer.

hagie posted:

Edit: wtf is this TGC acronym? Something something Cid

He's Thunder God Cid.

I never understood why he was a Thunder God (besides it being a wicked title), I don't think his FFT moves were Lightning-element at all? Something something Thunder and Heaven relationship?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I need help choosing a unit for heals and status cures. I have Luka, Lenna, Rosa, Y'shtola, and Minfilia. After reading some summaries I'm still not sure if one is obviously better than the others.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

To expand more on Firion, he's solid but not going to be super amazing for you unless you TM grind to make the Firion Megazord, which currently consists of:

Kaiser Knuckles (Xiao)
Sakurafubuki or another good katana (Miyuki)
Black Cowl (Hayate)
Brave Suit (Ramza)
2x Champion's Belt (Snow)
Dual Wield (Zidane)
Blade Mastery (Chizuru)
2x Quick Assault or other +30% materia (Shine)

You can replace parts with others but the core is the Belts/Kaiser and the Sakura/BM

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I used Lenna for a long time and hated her.

I just got Luka to 6max and haven't been in a situation for her to shine.

I will be investing full time into Y'shtola here soon. Raise and build in dualcast? Sold!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I need help choosing a unit for heals and status cures. I have Luka, Lenna, Rosa, Y'shtola, and Minfilia. After reading some summaries I'm still not sure if one is obviously better than the others.

Luka can do both with her main heal ability but she can't dual cast it. If you have a Ling she's great for curing ailments.

Back to Firion for a sec, heres a quick and dirty of him finishing a chain:

It's not the most impressive, but that's unbuffed with no breaks on the target. My best so far is almost 3mil on Ifrit.

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 27, 2017

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Dana Crysalis posted:

what's your ID? you're not on the list!

Added myself to the list. (424-165-206)

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I'm a new player and luckily drew y'shtola and refia; I should level and gear y'shtola over refia right?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Candlelight Virgil posted:

I'm a new player and luckily drew y'shtola and refia; I should level and gear y'shtola over refia right?

If you have dualcast, Refia is better. Otherwise, go with Y'shtola. They both have their niches, though.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Y'sholta has dualcast by a different name of "Presence of mind"

I think the big difference is Refia has Full Life

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

hagie posted:

Y'sholta has dualcast by a different name of "Presence of mind"

I think the big difference is Refia has Full Life

She's also immune to everything important.

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

So I got fuckface cid on my first 11 pull. Which means I now have cid and noctis. I don't TM farm and gearing both of these fuckers is going to hurt. I'm also debating on replacing cod or exdeath. I think I'll just leave them both geared and switch out when needed, but I feel like cod wins overall for the buffs. Exdeath no doubt shits out more damage, but what does that matter when I've got these two clowns?

Also uh...does TGC need dualwield? That's the only TM I have, and I was about to start working on either excalibur(40%) or dualcast(20%) for refia. Considering noodles can revive should just I just replace her with yshtola once I finish crafting her gear, and just work on getting another DW?

ED: 217.745.236 is my friend code if anyone wants an extra 100% running the event. It's going to be awhile before I actually gear/level him though. I freed up 17 slots and play every day.

Iakona fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 28, 2017

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

How new is new? As in, do you have enough of her event-exclusive awakening material (Hermit's Teachings) to get Y'shtola to 6*? If not Y'shtola will be forever stuck maxed out at 5*, and in that case Refia will be definitely better in the long run.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Iakona posted:

So I got fuckface cid on my first 11 pull. Which means I now have cid and noctis. I don't TM farm and gearing both of these fuckers is going to hurt. I'm also debating on replacing cod or exdeath. I think I'll just leave them both geared and switch out when needed, but I feel like cod wins overall for the buffs. Exdeath no doubt shits out more damage, but what does that matter when I've got these two clowns?

Also uh...does TGC need dualwield? That's the only TM I have, and I was about to start working on either excalibur(40%) or dualcast(20%) for refia. Considering noodles can revive should just I just replace her with yshtola once I finish crafting her gear, and just work on getting another DW?

ED: 217.745.236 is my friend code if anyone wants an extra 100% running the event. It's going to be awhile before I actually gear/level him though. I freed up 17 slots and play every day.

Yes, he needs dual wield. His ideal build also needs blade mastery from Chizuru, an Excalibur from Cecil, and the Genji Blade from the Gilgamesh trial. If you can survive Gilgamesh past the last threshold, Ninja D and maybe Dana both have 100% dodge Lightnings that can solo.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Of course I roll Y'shtola at 1.1 million points. :rolleyes:

At least she's already at 90% TM I suppose.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Chizuru is a loving myth.

No I'm not bitter, why do you ask.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Iakona posted:

Give Orlandu your dual wield materia and get Durandal from the FFT event since it's holy like Excalibur and will holy you over until you get an Excalibur.

Then make friends with as many Orlandus as you can because if you fire off both of their Divine Ruinations at the exact same time (within probably 1/10th a second, use two fingers) you'll chain all 28 hits, which is significantly more damage than two chains of 11-12 hits since the single chain will have a majority of its hits getting the max chain damage bonus.

Cartoon Man posted:

Yes, he needs dual wield. His ideal build also needs blade mastery from Chizuru, an Excalibur from Cecil, and the Genji Blade from the Gilgamesh trial. If you can survive Gilgamesh past the last threshold, Ninja D and maybe Dana both have 100% dodge Lightnings that can solo.

The only thing he "needs" is a holy element sword (and dual wield). Blade Mastery and the Genji Blade are really nice (i'll get back to collecting them after FFT is over) but they aren't anywhere near the importance of a holy weapon which is a must have for Orlandu to shine as the king of damage mountain.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

PDQ Law posted:

How new is new? As in, do you have enough of her event-exclusive awakening material (Hermit's Teachings) to get Y'shtola to 6*? If not Y'shtola will be forever stuck maxed out at 5*, and in that case Refia will be definitely better in the long run.

Started about a week before the raid...Currently have 3 of the required 5 hermits teachings

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Started about a week before the raid...Currently have 3 of the required 5 hermits teachings

You'd have to have the most incredibly bad luck to not get the last 2 so you're fine.

If you end up with the mats to make a 6* y'shtola and 6* minfilia you're set with a great healer and a great support unit. If you are also able to craft their gear as well that's just a nice cherry on top, especially for a new player.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Is the general consensus that Dualcast Refia is still the best healer, even beyond Y'shtola?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Yeah, full life and embolden plus being immune to just about everything that can keep her from casting is hard to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Heard people recommend warp break when using Noctis against Iftit. Why that over Blizzard Flask?

• Locked thread