Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is basically The Hidden, which is a rad movie if you haven't seen it.

The Hidden rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cvnvcnv posted:

But he is not delusional as a war criminals is. He felt helpless to stop an event which caused an incredible number of deaths and Superman had a direct hand in which allowed him to be made a force of opposition while still otherwise being a hero. His ideology is that such an event cannot occur again, that merely wanting to believe in good isn't enough in the face of actual godlike powers. This is what permits the villain to pit two heroes against each other, one framed but innocent and the other pure of motivation but to the point of betraying himself and the larger mission. That is the narrative. To say the story is that a villain pitted a hero and a different villain against each other, the entire movie collapses. But whatever, I get the sense there's semantics​ at play here.

How does the movie collapse under that scenario? To say that there is a proximate cause for Batman's beliefs does not justify the ends to anyone other than himself and those he can convince cause it would be silly to say that this kind of thinking emerges from a vacuum. Even further than that, it would be sillier to say that any philosophy that is justifiable legitimates it. Because the utilitarian view - that Superman's presence is totally unwelcome because it's potentially destructive, demeaning to human life, whatever, is true.

However, that ain't Justice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They're biomechanoids.

I meant robots figuratively

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I hope the Shazam movie is just a fun light-hearted romp that comes out two weeks before VENOM starts shooting and makes ten billion dollars.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Steve Yun posted:

I meant robots figuratively

Oh of course.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope the Shazam movie is just a fun light-hearted romp that comes out two weeks before VENOM starts shooting and makes ten billion dollars.

I hope the Shazam movie exists at all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Super Hero movies need to be more like the Fast and the Furious movies (mainly films 5-7).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Equeen posted:

I hope the Shazam movie exists at all.

WB has made a lot of really poor decisions with its DC films so far. By far the worst decision they could make, however, would be to somehow let their giant superhero movie starring Dwayne Johnson fall apart. They need to bend over backward for the man and do whatever he wants.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Super Hero movies need to be more like the Fast and the Furious movies (mainly films 5-7).

Rampant car destruction is already one of the most mocked aspects of the current studio powerhouse.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

feedmyleg posted:

WB has made a lot of really poor decisions with its DC films so far. By far the worst decision they could make, however, would be to somehow let their giant superhero movie starring Dwayne Johnson fall apart. They need to bend over backward for the man and do whatever he wants.

You mean like turning Shazam into a Black Adam movie?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Electromax posted:

Rampant car destruction is already one of the most mocked aspects of the current studio powerhouse.

Why anybody would watch Marvel movies for their feel-good comic book fare when we already have F&F is beyond me.

edit:

Good movie-fight post, btw.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Update: in the coolest bit of comic book movie news in recent memory, the film adaptation of Brian Michael Bendis & Marc Andreyko's Torso is finally happening and it's being directed by Paul Greengrass (although they've rechristened it with the extremely lame title "Ness").

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Why anybody would watch Marvel movies for their feel-good comic book fare when we already have F&F is beyond me.

edit:

Good movie-fight post, btw.

The whole franchise is structured like a D&D campaign.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Fast Five was pretty cool but way too long and they just keep getting longer

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/846414578678484992

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't stand the F&F films, personally. I know that sets me apart from CineD and, well, the rest of the world, but dammit I just plain don't like 'em.

Like, I get that they have a lot of merit as just the biggest dumbest over-the-top action franchise out there. But the celebration of meathead bro culture is just too much for me, and their earnestness goes so far beyond dorky I can't believe there are folks out there who take them seriously as "cool" movies with enviable characters and lifestyles. All the "tough guys" just come across as corny 40-something cheeseball dad types to me. Or maybe it's because I never gave a poo poo about cars and roll my eyes at car culture? At no level do I connect with those films, beyond appreciating how audacious they are from a distance.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Electromax posted:

I'm not really talking about car destruction. There seems to be this constant struggle between people saying that the fights should take place somewhere populated and yet those preemptively complaining about those that will whine about civilian casualties. The fast and furious movies seem to do well to balance massive destruction in populated centers while also not having many civilian casualties by the heroes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I can't stand the F&F films, personally. I know that sets me apart from CineD and, well, the rest of the world, but dammit I just plain don't like 'em.

Like, I get that they have a lot of merit as just the biggest dumbest over-the-top action franchise out there. But the celebration of meathead bro culture is just too much for me, and their earnestness goes so far beyond dorky I can't believe there are folks out there who take them seriously as "cool" movies with enviable characters and lifestyles. All the "tough guys" just come across as corny 40-something cheeseball dad types to me. Or maybe it's because I never gave a poo poo about cars and roll my eyes at car culture? At no level do I connect with those films, beyond appreciating how audacious they are from a distance.

Look at this post by someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

earnestness in the face of being considered dorky or cheesy by cynical audiences is a good quality i wish modern comic book movies had more of

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

K. Waste posted:

The average F&F cast member is too brown for your average comics nerd to empathize with.

Brother Entropy posted:

earnestness in the face of being considered dorky or cheesy by cynical audiences is a good quality i wish modern comic book movies had more of

But how can you prove that the thing you like is actually Good Art worthy of respect if you don't make it clear, repeatedly, that you're not stupid enough to think the silly parts are serious?

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 27, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Honest Thief posted:

They could just like, make a movie that doesn't have to start a franchise-universe, but maybe that's just me.

Studios try to do this but then nerds blast social media with hype that that weird "Cloverfield" movie is secretly VOLTRON!!!, and what if this new space horror movie is secretly VENOM!!! FROM SPIDERMAN!!!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Studios try to do this but then nerds blast social media with hype that that weird "Cloverfield" movie is secretly VOLTRON!!!, and what if this new space horror movie is secretly VENOM!!! FROM SPIDERMAN!!!

You joke but if the very last scene as the guy was getting stepped on or eaten or wahtever in Cloverfield had a vague outline of Voltron booster-rocketing down with its sword out ready to take a swing at the monster I would have died and gone to the rapture.

All that said, how'd the Power Rangers movie turn out? Anybody seen it? I want to.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The average F&F cast member is too brown for your average comics nerd to empathize with.

Walker was the only white guy in the whole (protagonist side) cast in 5-7, right? It's a remarkably diverse group.

I guess there's Kurt Russell but that was a pretty small part

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The villains have some white guys. Now they can latch onto Jason Statham as he heel turns in 8.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

But how can you prove that the thing you like is actually Good Art worthy of respect if you don't make it clear, repeatedly, that you're not stupid enough to think the silly parts are serious?

thinking back on that post it's mostly just marvel studios that's doing this, it just feels way more omnipresent because they've been doing it for so long

it's wild though since the success of sam raimi's spiderman really felt like the seed that eventually led to the MCU and drat if that trilogy wasn't afraid to commit to comic book schmaltz

Drifter posted:

All that said, how'd the Power Rangers movie turn out? Anybody seen it? I want to.

people in the power rangers/super sentai thread seem pretty positive on it, for what that's worth to you

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 27, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

I enjoyed it. The teen bonding stuff was pretty well done, even if I found their campfire secrets sharing scene a little too Degrassi. Elizabeth Banks was really good as Rita.

There's not a lot of hand to hand while rocking the suits, however the Zords were a lot of fun and it felt like the movie "earned" using the MegaZord the way they did. It was amazing or anything, but as a reboot to classic Power Rangers it gets the job done. The only reason I think the movie is PG-13 is the use of "rear end" and a few crude innuendos. A crude joke near the beginning that I will spoiler tag, Jason and his football buddies are pranking a school (their school?) by putting a bull in the locker room and one of them jokes about making it relax by milking it only for the other two to point that it's a male cow

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 27, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

I don't disagree. But if the X-Men series is one side of the spectrum, embarrassed by what it is and constantly apologizing for it, the F&F series is way on the opposite side of the spectrum. I understand that the contrast must be refreshing to most, but I feel that striking a balance is important. Clearly I'm in the minority when it comes to applying that to F&F though.

Raimi's Spider-Man series is a good example, I feel. The first film was a little too embarrassed to be a comic book movie, the second struck a perfect balance, and the third went too far and went straight into over-the-top melodrama territory. I think the Marvel films tend to strike a pretty good balance most of the time, which is why I can appreciate and like all of them significantly, even if they aren't really remarkable.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 27, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

The first film was a little too embarrassed to be a comic book movie,

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Right. But then compare that to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZBhL5lpqg

The final film went with something that had to be grounded in an Xtreme power suit.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 27, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Raimi's Spider-Man series is a good example, I feel. The first film was a little too embarrassed to be a comic book movie

I dunno where you get that idea, Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin is like the schlockiest thing in the franchise.

edit: beaten

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Right. But then compare that to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZBhL5lpqg

i mean, they're both ridiculous and over the top it doesn't have to be a competition

the real 'afraid to be comic book-y' move would've been to do what ultimate spider-man did and just make him a vaguely more demonic hulk because genetic monster feels less cheesey and more grounded to people than insane strong guy in a tokusatsu outfit

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Just out of curiosity, and so I know we are talking on the same level, how many of the fast and furious films have you actually seen?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Just out of curiosity, and so I know we are talking on the same level, how many of the fast and furious films have you actually seen?

5, 6, and part of 7.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

5, 6, and part of 7.

Well, when it comes down to it, those are the only films that really nail the tone and action I'm taking about.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The MSJ posted:

The recent episode of Legion (episode 7) not only confirms that Xavier is David's father but also features a reference to the best scene in X-Men Apocalypse: One of the villains was killed when the Shadow King mentally twisted his body into a box.

Wait, which scene was this?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My gripe with Shazam and I don't think I'm ever gonna drop this one is why, in Shazam movie with Dwayne The Rock Johnson is Dwayne The Rock Johnson not playing Shazam?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He was given the choice between the two roles and picked the one he thought was more interesting. Playing an anti-hero would allow him to stretch his acting chops a little more than playing a do-gooder.

Think about a rough, charming morally-ambiguous Rock going up against, say, Armie Hammer as a gosh-golly perfect do-gooder.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I'm not really talking about car destruction. There seems to be this constant struggle between people saying that the fights should take place somewhere populated and yet those preemptively complaining about those that will whine about civilian casualties. The fast and furious movies seem to do well to balance massive destruction in populated centers while also not having many civilian casualties by the heroes.

I think that's more a matter of audience engagement with the action and the status of the heroes as underdogs, making the power fantasy of them not accidentally killing anyone while rolling a bank vault through downtown in Fast Five less obnoxious.

mastershakeman posted:

Walker was the only white guy in the whole (protagonist side) cast in 5-7, right? It's a remarkably diverse group.

But, yeah, just him and Paul Walker.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm posting it everywhere relevant: Batman: Gotham Knights is an actually, honest-to-goodness, very well-executed compilation film.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Rock should play Billy Batson. He's grown up and worked out to the point that his power is comparable to Captain Marvel, and now Captain Marvel has to struggle to find a reason to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Wait, which scene was this?

The opening scene. One of the ancient Horsemen was telekinetic and killed a rebel this way.

• Locked thread