Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I actually just watched Sin City 2 on Netflix the other night and kinda liked it. The CGI looked really bad in parts and the writing suffered from the usual Frank Miller problems, but the short with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the gambler was legitimately great, and while the other two were way more uneven, they at least had the decency to put a lot of Marv in those two.

How much of your willingness to engage with the film driven by just how much Eva Green gets naked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

How much of this is just how much Eva Green gets naked?

Eva Green has been naked in way better movies than Sin City 2. Keep in mind I'm not saying it's particularly great (frankly, the CGI made me shocked it was even in loving theaters), it just pleasantly surprised me because I went in with my expectations in the absolute dirt.

(My willingness to engage with the movie was because I saw it on Netflix, saw that it was under two hours, and went "gently caress it, why not?" I'm willing to cut a movie a lot of slack if it comes and goes relatively quickly, given how many movies are nearly 3 loving hours for no reason nowadays.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 27, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Eva Green, naked or otherwise, is the best part of a slew of bad movies. One of these days, I hope she becomes the best part of a good movie (although I hear Penny Dreadful was pretty good?)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

Eva Green, naked or otherwise, is the best part of a slew of bad movies. One of these days, I hope she becomes the best part of a good movie (although I hear Penny Dreadful was pretty good?)

The Dreamers is pretty good!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Kingdom of Heaven owns bones.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Kingdom of Heaven owns bones.
The director's cut, yes. The theatrical is just okay.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

The director's cut, yes. The theatrical is just okay.

Well, yeah.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

It definitely made 300: Rise Of An Empire :awesome:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

she is really good being naked in Penny Dreadful and she even gets to act as a crazy demon-possessed naked person!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Penny Dreadful was awesome except the part where it got cancelled.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Young Freud posted:

It definitely made 300: Rise Of An Empire :awesome:

She was unironically the best thing about that movie, nudity notwithstanding. She took a role that could've been badly acted and absolutely owned it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I actually just watched Sin City 2 on Netflix the other night and kinda liked it. The CGI looked really bad in parts and the writing suffered from the usual Frank Miller problems, but the short with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the gambler was legitimately great, and while the other two were way more uneven, they at least had the decency to put a lot of Marv in those two.

I thought the Joseph Gordon-Levitt storyline was pretty much as good as the stories from the first four Sin City comics (the only ones that are actually any good), which is saying something since it was something written by Frank Miller post-9/11. Christopher Lloyd's cameo was great, too. Outside of JGL's storyline, Eva Green and Powers Boothe were the only things in it I liked.

It honestly reminded me of one of those 90's direct-to-video sequels (like the From Dusk Till Dawn sequels for example, to stick with Rodriguez). It's almost impressive that a movie released in 2014 with a much higher budget had special effects that much worse than a movie released in 2005.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sin City 2 feels and looks like a no-budget fan film made by complete amateurs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As the title implies, the monster in the film is a plantlike 'life-spirit'. It has all the exact same traits as Groot, but is obviously not celebrated as this loveable spirit of nature with cycles of rebirth or whatever. LIFE, correctly, focuses on Groot's fundamental obscenity. Like his tendency to extend his roots into people - to eat them? Groot persists in the exact way that we say someone persists in a vegetative state. It's the Werner Herzog take on Groot:

"Kinski always says [the jungle is] full of erotic elements. I don't see it so much erotic. I see it more full of obscenity. It's just - Nature here is vile and base. I wouldn't see anything erotical here. I would see fornication and asphyxiation and choking and fighting for survival and... growing and... just rotting away. Of course, there's a lot of misery. But it is the same misery that is all around us. The trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. I don't think they - they sing. They just screech in pain. It's an unfinished country. It's still prehistorical. The only thing that is lacking is - is the dinosaurs here. It's like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever... goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It's a land that God, if he exists has - has created in anger. It's the only land where - where creation is unfinished yet. Taking a close look at - at what's around us there - there is some sort of a harmony. It is the harmony of... overwhelming and collective murder. And we in comparison to the articulate vileness and baseness and obscenity of all this jungle - Uh, we in comparison to that enormous articulation - we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half-finished sentences out of a stupid suburban... novel... a cheap novel. We have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery and overwhelming fornication... overwhelming growth and overwhelming lack of order. Even the - the stars up here in the - in the sky look like a mess. There is no harmony in the universe. We have to get acquainted to this idea that there is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But when I say this, I say this all full of admiration for the jungle. It is not that I hate it, I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment."

This deserves to be heard in Herzog's own voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQyQnXrLb0

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love the way he says "naytcha".

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

penny dreadful is bad, kind of like how true blood was bad, it takes its premise sorta seriously at first but ditches it by the end. It's watchable TV and given how short of a run Penny Dreadful had, i recommend watching it, but fast forward through anything where frankenstein's monster is on screen too long.

eva green writhing around naked demon possessed is kinda awesome but it has merits beyond sexiness, but it's 100% camp.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

penny dreadful is bad, kind of like how true blood was bad, it takes its premise sorta seriously at first but ditches it by the end. It's watchable TV and given how short of a run Penny Dreadful had, i recommend watching it, but fast forward through anything where frankenstein's monster is on screen too long.

eva green writhing around naked demon possessed is kinda awesome but it has merits beyond sexiness, but it's 100% camp.

The cut-wife stuff was really cool, the cheesy fight scenes with a bunch of generic baddies were terrible though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

Nah. Most of the movie is fine except for a few bits where it just abruptly falls apart; I'm assuming the budget ran out before the CGI was finished and they had to release the movie with temp effects or something.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The problem with the gambler segment is that Powers Boothe character dies just a couple days later in a different segment. "Everyone will know that I beat you" doesn't carry much weight when the big cheese croaks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vanderdeath posted:

She was unironically the best thing about that movie, nudity notwithstanding. She took a role that could've been badly acted and absolutely owned it.

I still love that the secret weapon the Athenians brought to fight the Persian navy was a horse.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought the Joseph Gordon-Levitt storyline was pretty much as good as the stories from the first four Sin City comics (the only ones that are actually any good), which is saying something since it was something written by Frank Miller post-9/11. Christopher Lloyd's cameo was great, too.

I agree with this, JGL's segment was good. The Dame to Kill For segment was alright but kinda just felt like more of the same, if that makes sense. Nancy's story was trash that felt like bad fan-fiction and doesn't even make sense in the time-line of the movies, as well as taking away any impact of Rourke killing Roark in the first movie.

I need to give the 300 sequel another try one of these days. I rented it from a Red Box shortly after it came out, but was in a depressive funk at the time and turned it off part way through. I didn't dislike it, I just didn't care. I need to try watching it when I can actually pay attention to it better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FreudianSlippers posted:

This, could not believe how bad it was. I feel like pasting this old post I made about it.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first Sin City movie but I watched the 2014 one on Netflix and holy poo poo this is crap and looks cheap as hell. I know basically every shot in the movie is a special effects shot because of how they make the look but almost every time anything more complicated than "two people talk to each other" happens it straight up looks unfinished, like unbelievably bad. It really stands out because there are a few moments that look great. Christopher Lloyd's scene is awesome thanks to him. Mickey Rourke's makeup looks really weird, I think because everything is a little brighter this time around. It looks obvious and trying too hard compared to the silhouette and look he has in Sin City 1. Obviously that was eleven years ago but this is more on the makeup and the movie's look than on him aging.

There's a moment that reminded me of the many "Fred Williamson is too old to do action scenes now so just have every other actor move super super slowly" moments of the 80s towards the end though when Mickey Rourke/Marv and Jessica Alba/Nancy are confronted by some by a trio of bikers. These guys are armed to the teeth, their leader holding one of those badass combat shotguns they use in movies a lot in each hand, and they make it clear that if Marv doesn't let them pass then Marv will die. But fortunately because they didn't have the budget or the stunt people or whatever Rourke is able to diffuse the situation by calmly walking all the way up to the lead guy and taking both of his guns away and shooting all three of them as casually as someone would walk down the driveway to pick up the morning paper because they all just stand there motionless during this. How polite!

Were small segments of this ghost directed or overseen by someone other than Frank Miller? There's a brief point where Senator Roark's magician/gambler exiled son is getting abducted and beaten, as he describes how lovely this is we see his body flatten and transition into the gleam off the fender of the car he's being driven away in. For this brief bit like Christopher Lloyd's scene everything comes together and the movie is striking and almost good. That story was basically the only decent part of the movie.

I will say one thing, besides Jamie King none of the characters with more than half a line turn in a mega awful performance like Michael Madsen in Sin City 1. Everyone's in real peak scenery chewing form, but Frank Miller is just terrible enough a scriptwriter that they the cast can't carry it.

Looking back as this post, the movie was so bad that it made me completely forget that Eva Green was in it. And given what her scenes in the movie are that's quite a feat.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 27, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They waited 10 years too long to make it and it feels like a half-assed rehash with nothing more to say, which it has in common with most of Miller's work at this point.

301: War of the Tittyfiend is also a piece of poo poo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Woah, Michael Madson was great in Sin City. It's like a performance straight out of the 80's.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The words "bum ticker" are forever ingrained in my brain.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yes they do. It's just that, unlike Groot, they wait for you to die before absorbing your nutrients.

Does Groot eat somebody in Guardians of the Galaxy that I'm forgetting?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

No.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

no but he kills people with the eat-y parts of a tree so figuratively it sorta works

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I liked Guardians of the Galaxy well enough, but a scene of Groot sucking dry a corpse definitely would have improved it. Maybe GotG2 will reveal that Rocket lets Baby Groot feed off him at night.

Brother Entropy posted:

no but he kills people with the eat-y parts of a tree so figuratively it sorta works

Most of the mass of a tree comes from the air as absorbed by leaves, which Groot doesn't have :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Someday you will die, and
Somehow something's going to steal your carbon

Someday something will die, and
Somehow you'll figure out how
Often you will die somehow, and
Something's going to steal your carbon

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Maybe the scene in GotG1 where he impales like six dudes on his branches simultaneously and is just overkill thrashing the bodies around gleefully for like a minute straight is his feeding process.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Most of the mass of a tree comes from the air as absorbed by leaves, which Groot doesn't have :colbert:

imagine how much eating his roots must have to do since he doesn't have leaves!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

The words "bum ticker" are forever ingrained in my brain.

Literally the only thing I can recall when I think of this movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"you can't even lift that cannon"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And mah mitts

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

Implicitly, yes. He also practices autocannibalism.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right - that's why he must impale other lifeforms with his (g)roots.

In any case, the point is to highlight the ideological difference between the films: unless you count the impalings-by-root Groot does not have any onscreen food source. Yet he obviously must eat to survive, let alone to perform his various special abilities.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Implicitly, yes. He also practices autocannibalism.

Right - that's why he must impale other lifeforms with his (g)roots.

In any case, the point is to highlight the ideological difference between the films: unless you count the impalings-by-root Groot does not have any onscreen food source. Yet he obviously must eat to survive, let alone to perform his various special abilities.

I find it interesting that the marvel films have a very consistent moral system where it's a-ok for the heroes to straight up kill a lot of people without really dwelling on it at all. I haven't seen the more recent ones though so maybe there is a scene where iron man and hawkeye discuss how they feel about having taken so many lives.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I find it interesting that the marvel films have a very consistent moral system where it's a-ok for the heroes to straight up kill a lot of people without really dwelling on it at all. I haven't seen the more recent ones though so maybe there is a scene where iron man and hawkeye discuss how they feel about having taken so many lives.

Dr. Strange expressed regret at killing people in his movie in a cursory sort of way.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sure. Life is what you get when Groot isn't locked into homeostasis and celibacy. Which is going to be weird now that we're dealing with his child in GotG2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dr. Strange expressed regret at killing people in his movie in a cursory sort of way.

Well he did have the hippocratic oath thing.

• Locked thread