Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You pick, a lot of the Golden changes made it into here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

How good is they Dryzen content in this game?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Dryzen content is very poor, much like Dryzen himself

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

It's true

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

How does Dryzen run on the ps3? I'm not interested at all in spending 300 bucks on just a shinier dryzen.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Captain Baal posted:

Fwiw the most worthless chars in P5 (Ann/Haru, basically) are still more useful than the most worthless P3 or P4 chars, in gameplay.

Morgana and Futaba do double duty after she joins, Idk what your hate boner for her is though.
oh hell yeah

CharlestonJew posted:

this isn't a super intense tactical game or anything, if you want to put your waifu on the team then do it dammit
true, but if im not min-maxing my first playthru then what am i DOING

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dryzen posted:

It's true

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

my buddy Superfly posted:

How does Dryzen run on the ps3? I'm not interested at all in spending 300 bucks on just a shinier dryzen.

Fine, but not as good as the Ergstation 4

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is there a good/quick explanation of the kind of tactical roles the characters play in battle and which ones end up outclassing the others? I've been reading a Japanese strategy wiki, but it takes me a while to translate their character analysis sections.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes to all.

Best Persona game. Best SMT game. GOTY All Year Every Year

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

my buddy Superfly posted:

you'd settle for a dull dryzen?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Neeksy posted:

Is there a good/quick explanation of the kind of tactical roles the characters play in battle and which ones end up outclassing the others? I've been reading a Japanese strategy wiki, but it takes me a while to translate their character analysis sections.
the OP does a good job going over what each character does in battle, enough to know if a team you have in mind has enough varied roles. there's also a list on gamefaqs of what skills what characters get at what levels if you want that

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Motto posted:

you'd settle for a dull dryzen?

I don't like my Dryzens to be overbearing.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Hi I'm dryzen

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Shut up, nobody's talking to you idiot.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

please don't be mean to my dryzen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tae hates futaba because she's a geek girl just like all 73 of the girls that have turned him down in his life

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

whats a dryzen

is it a type of plant

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jesus, I just like Morgana better and that plays a factor if I'm doing battles for 60 hours

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

real mad Haru isn't this game's navigator cause she's the character im least into and i'd kill to use futaba and her ufo

also i don't care for morganna at all but literally anyone has to be better than teddy

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 28, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Haru is cute :3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You really don't have to stress about who to use, the game has multiple things in play to let you basically swap out who you like.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

whats a dryzen

is it a type of plant

Not me because apparently I'm Fryzen now

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neeksy posted:

Ryuji - Physical DPS with attack buffs, never is bad in the game ever due to his insane HP Pool and how easy it is to replenish that. Becomes one of the best characters late game when he gets some of his dumber abilities. His shotgun also does a shitton of damage and is one of the few worth using outside of hitting weakpoints. He's basically Chie mixed with Kanji.
Morgana - Healer mixed with Magic attacks, favors more on the former, but his latter is also quite solid. He gets two physical attacks, but both have high crit chances and eat very little HP and his SP Pool is probably the biggest in the game. He's probably the best teammate at any point in the game.
Ann - Magic DPS combined with status ailments, favors hard on the former. Her status ailments are alright, but not really amazing due to how much you would need to waste skill slots on them when really you're better off building her for magic damage. Her healing drops off quickly and she is made of paper. SP is also not as easily refundable a resource as HP, so she falls pretty hard because her niche is already accomplished by teammates with more generalized elements that don't need a supply of items to keep themselves up to snuff. Her gun also fires at random targets which makes it very unreliable against any group that has a demon strong against guns. She's fine early game, but late game there are plenty of better options.
Yusuke - Physical DPS, more crit-based than Ryuji. He keeps up very well with Ryuji and has speed buffs and due to most of his physical attacks accruing more hits he has more opportunities to exploit critical chances than most other characters leading to more Baton Pass shenanigans. He also has counters that you can build for if you want to make him untouchable, he is made of paper too though so keep in mind he can die pretty fast if he gets hit too much. He loses to Ryuji in damage near endgame due to his lack of Power Charge, but he's still a very solid character all around.
Makoto - Jack-of-all-trades, good at all of them. Decent number of physical attacks with solid damage, decent magic damage on her Nuclear attacks which have advantage against a lot of status ailments, she has a full team full hp heal making her an acceptable substitute for Morgana's heals if you aren't using him, and she gets a severe Nuclear attack near the end of the game which makes her damage even better. The only problem with her is she lacks the SP pool to make her final Nuclear ability more potent, otherwise you can slot her on pretty much any team and she will be useful in some way.
Haru - Reflector lady and ailment debuffer. Her uses are very niche compared to everyone else. Her single target barriers aren't amazing in most scenarios, you will probably use them to protect the protagonist in most scenarios. Her ailment healing skills are only good up until you get salvation at which point that role of hers becomes moot. The only thing she particularly excels at is being able to spec for gun damage since she can make a skill of hers, One-Shot Kill, an incredibly strong attack. Otherwise, she's probably the worst overall teammate in terms of general usability.
Goro - Instant kills, Almighty Attack, High Crit physical skills with crazy good damage. He starts with a ridiculously powerful physical attack and gets debilitate late game which makes him even better, an auto tarukaja, full revive, and access to heavy damage Dark, Light, and Almighty abilities letting him cover multiple bases.

No one in this game is truly bad because due to every character covering an elemental affinity of some sort, there are some worth using over others in a number of scenarios, but if you're looking for like boss useability and just general usefulness it would be something like.

Morgana = Ryuji & > Goro > Makoto > Yusuke > Ann > Haru

If you want a silly rear end tier comparison I guess, use whoever the hell you want otherwise, it's not a hard game. I used Ryuji, Makoto, and Yusuke pretty much the whole game after I got the latter two and barely swapped only when I needed to in case they were near death or something.

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010
Yusuke actually has the second most defense after Ryuji but Ryuji's defense is on such a complete different level from the rest of the party that it feels mean to compare the two.

I personally think Morgana falls off extremely hard as a healer around mid-game; specifically, once Makoto learns Mediarama. Afterwards, Makoto's significantly higher vitality and added support with Marakukaja overshadows Morgana's big heals and....more big heals.

But yeah, the game makes it much easier to just switch people in and out whenever and prevents anyone from falling behind from lack of use, and it's not so difficult that you need to have the perfectly optimized party. Just use whoever you think is cool. Like Morgana.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Morgana gets the crit punch which carries him pretty far. Probably not ideal for bosses but so many enemies in the late game have no weaknesses that it proves its usefulness over and over again.

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 28, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Morgana is never leaving my main party because animal party members are the best. :colbert: That was a serious, serious flaw in P4 coming off P3 imo and I'm glad they have rectified it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

Morgana is never leaving my main party because animal party members are the best. :colbert: That was a serious, serious flaw in P4 coming off P3 imo and I'm glad they have rectified it.

erm... teddy is a bear, dude

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Koromaru sucks

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

a fitting mascot for persona 3

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The hell is wrong with you people. He was a dog who knifed people .

Also Teddy is a clown bear costume who made lovely bear puns. Maybe if he caught a salmon once in a while he would count

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Koromaru is a joke character except they forgot to add a joke or a character, so instead his very presence annihilates the game's tone to no real end.

I mean, whatever, I appreciate how dumb it is, I brought him to the final boss my first run, but there's nothing to him.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

:dukedoge:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
it's weird to think koro is a joke character who "annihilates the game's tone", while having no issue with a cute robot teenager who learns how to love and a wise 10 year old

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wizard on a water slide posted:

it's weird to think koro is a joke character who "annihilates the game's tone", while having no issue with a cute robot teenager who learns how to love and a wise 10 year old

Have I got bad news for you

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So how good is the Moon Cooperation at keeping the benched party members up to speed? All these characters look cool and I want to use them but P4 had pretty big level differences after a dungeon or two of not using someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
im using the 3 girls always boys get out~*~