Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Honestly I feel like grappling sports are way more dangerous because if someone doesn't play safe you have a lot of chance to bend/break someone badly or put way too much body weight on a bad area.

In striking you just get your lights knocked out for a second
I've actually gotten way more injuries from grappling (and ultimate frisbee) than from striking. Wrist, elbow, and shoulder injuries I sustained in my 20s are coming back to bite me now. But yeah, the potential for head trauma trumps that.

The most fun sparring I've done is kali knife fighting so have fun with that!

kimbo305 posted:

This is a good discussion. Thinking to the last person to ask "why isn't there more striking chat in this thread?,"
I don't see nearly as many questions like this come up for striking. Likely cuz there aren't as many people practicing, but I'm sure if a similar question were asked, there'd be people to discuss it.

I'll try one -- one of the moves I've been improving is a lead Brazilian/question mark kick. I usually know if it'll land and will pull it so it lands pretty gently. But part of me thinks if I want to practice it for real, I should keep pushing through, slowly. Either they'll catch my kick and push/throw me off, or they'll have their head pushed off line where I can follow up and they can't.

The goal is to keep my mechanics more real to how I'd throw it if I wanted to knock them out. If I throw it like I do now, it'll never have that heavy power behind it.
Are you thinking along the lines of whether you or your sparring partner will have anything to gain if you follow through with the kick? And if you do follow through will you have the power needed for a knock out? Or are you pulling your kick since you're being a safe sparring partner? Being safe is essentially why I don't do any head kicks when I spar - since I suck at kicking and have to use more (uncontrolled) momentum and power to get my legs higher.

Kind of the same reason why I don't attempt flying armbars or jump guard when rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bangkero posted:

Are you thinking along the lines of whether you or your sparring partner will have anything to gain if you follow through with the kick? And if you do follow through will you have the power needed for a knock out? Or are you pulling your kick since you're being a safe sparring partner?

Yeah, I'm pulling the kick so I don't hurt anyone. It probably lands with less force than a decent hook.
But I do want to throw it hard for competition. And there, I need to have an answer for how to disengage or follow through from a harder kick. Trying to swing through gives a sparring partner (who presumably isn't hurt by the kick) a lot of time to catch the kick and dump me. But that motion, as I see it, is the only way to approximate the weight shift and followthrough of a hard kick.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whenever I get the inevitable "BJJ and judo isn't that bad for you and stuff? Like, it can hurt your knees and back?" I reply "being fat and lazy does more damage to your knees and back than grappling."

But really, I had fewer persistent dents and dings on me during the years when I was boxing than I do now. The two times that I ended up with post-concussion symptoms, though, were ten times worse experiences than the worst I've had from grappling (separated/broken ribs). The trick I've found now is if I'm injured in any way, I'm not afraid to take it light. I had a good six months in which I was completely avoiding right handed tsurikomi goshi, right handed morote seoi nage, and certain breakfalls at judo because they were bugging my shoulder. If someone poo poo talks me for it, I poo poo talk them back.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Also every grappler here should purchase a foam roller right now. Using one regularly will do wonders to keep your hips and back in good shape and not feeling like your muscles are trying to shrivel up and die.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

It's been a long time since I practiced karate but I remember one time during a spar I took a solid roundhouse kick to the side of my torso, right underneath the armpit (maybe I was trying to catch the kick?) and it destroyed me. What is it about getting hit there that's so devastating?

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
were you inhaling at the time?

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Probably. I think I remember I did get the wind knocked out of me pretty hard.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Whenever I get the inevitable "BJJ and judo isn't that bad for you and stuff? Like, it can hurt your knees and back?"

Lumping those two in together for injury potential is a little misleading also, unless you're at a BJJ school where you always start standing and don't pull guard.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kekekela posted:

Lumping those two in together for injury potential is a little misleading also, unless you're at a BJJ school where you always start standing and don't pull guard.

I lump them together because I do Judo on Mondays and Wednesdays and BJJ on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, so they tend to come up together in conversations about my physical activities.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Whenever I get the inevitable "BJJ and judo isn't that bad for you and stuff? Like, it can hurt your knees and back?" I reply "being fat and lazy does more damage to your knees and back than grappling."

But really, I had fewer persistent dents and dings on me during the years when I was boxing than I do now. The two times that I ended up with post-concussion symptoms, though, were ten times worse experiences than the worst I've had from grappling (separated/broken ribs). The trick I've found now is if I'm injured in any way, I'm not afraid to take it light. I had a good six months in which I was completely avoiding right handed tsurikomi goshi, right handed morote seoi nage, and certain breakfalls at judo because they were bugging my shoulder. If someone poo poo talks me for it, I poo poo talk them back.

Ive already lost weight since starting this. The drills in the morning really helped with this (hip escapes, caterpillar crawls, rope pulls, etc) Its way better to move in some sort of capacity (doesn't even need to be MA) than be a fat sloth.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

hi liter posted:

Also every grappler here should purchase a foam roller right now. Using one regularly will do wonders to keep your hips and back in good shape and not feeling like your muscles are trying to shrivel up and die.

Also a lacrosse ball. Easy to keep one at work.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
do yall have any hot tips for getting out of pins? i got locked in a kata-gatame by a purple belt (in bjj, yellow in judo) and his grip was like iron, i struggled for a good minute and couldn't weasel or break out of it.

tournament in cbus coming up at the end of april for bjj and i might enter in and see how it goes. i don't know how to lock in much more than the basics but i'm being told competition is the best way to learn

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

boy are my arms tired posted:

do yall have any hot tips for getting out of pins? i got locked in a kata-gatame by a purple belt (in bjj, yellow in judo) and his grip was like iron, i struggled for a good minute and couldn't weasel or break out of it.

tournament in cbus coming up at the end of april for bjj and i might enter in and see how it goes. i don't know how to lock in much more than the basics but i'm being told competition is the best way to learn

There are no hot tips. The one cool trick (tm) is get up onto your side 30 to 45 degrees to start creating space. If both of your shoulders are down, you're hooped.

For kata gatame, you need to free your elbow first, either by getting it around his head to the mat, or by shrimping away and sucking your elbow into your stomach. To be perfectly honest though, if a BJJ purple belt had you there, the only reason that you weren't asleep is that he decided to play nice.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CommonShore posted:

There are no hot tips. The one cool trick (tm) is get up onto your side 30 to 45 degrees to start creating space. If both of your shoulders are down, you're hooped.

For kata gatame, you need to free your elbow first, either by getting it around his head to the mat, or by shrimping away and sucking your elbow into your stomach. To be perfectly honest though, if a BJJ purple belt had you there, the only reason that you weren't asleep is that he decided to play nice.

we were starting from that position and trying to break free as a drill for judo practice

i guess i'm not being mobile enough and just trying to power through things, i'll try shrimping more. thanks!

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

we were starting from that position and trying to break free as a drill for judo practice

i guess i'm not being mobile enough and just trying to power through things, i'll try shrimping more. thanks!

This video is pretty good IMO, tl;dw version: you may need to bridge two (or more) times to escape, first to make space and disrupt the pin (may take multiple attempts if your partner is bigger/more skilled) then more bridging to escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Im8IKc8NeY

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dave Grool posted:

This video is pretty good IMO, tl;dw version: you may need to bridge two (or more) times to escape, first to make space and disrupt the pin (may take multiple attempts if your partner is bigger/more skilled) then more bridging to escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Im8IKc8NeY

wow yeah this really helped! i definitely was not bridging as much as i should have been (in general)

we did practice kesa-gatame a little but we mainly focused on kata-gatame and also a little on the one that looks like a north-south choke, it had a long name and i can't remember what it was

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

It appears as though bridging and framing are really important to helping to escape these types of positions. Someone had me in side control the other day and this move really helped me in getting out and totally surprised him because he thought I had got him in some sort of arm lock.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBT67Grv28k

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wow yeah this really helped! i definitely was not bridging as much as i should have been (in general)

we did practice kesa-gatame a little but we mainly focused on kata-gatame and also a little on the one that looks like a north-south choke, it had a long name and i can't remember what it was

kami shiho gatame - topside four corner hold - aka North South. All of the flat topside pins are "-- shiho gatame" because they emphasize controlling the hips and shoulders as four points.

kata gatame is the arm triangle pin. Videos on escaping the arm triangle will apply to escaping kata gatame, though bjj escapes don't typically have the urgency which judo requires.

FWIW I find that kuzuri kami shiho gatame with the lapel grips to be the most difficult pin to escape. I spent a minute looking for a video or image but I couldn't find the exact modification that I mean - you reach under uke's armpits from behind and grab his lapels as high as you can on both sides, and then you drive your shoulder into the back of his head while your cheek is on his chest, essentially pinning him with the gi.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Neon Belly posted:

Also a lacrosse ball. Easy to keep one at work.

Keep it in a sock. You can put pinpoint the spinal erectors that way.

Also the back buddy is loving great. I bought one the other week and its unreal.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In a sock?!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ICHIBAHN posted:

In a sock?!

Yes, hold the ankle end of the sock in one hand and throw the ball over your shoulder. Your hand counter weights the ball and let's you adjust it to right where you need it.

Also you can beat people up with it.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Your supposed to exert a constant pressure one the muscle for 10s not beat the poo poo out of your back with a club lol

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What in the gently caress

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You don't hit yourself with it, you throw the ball your back and lean against a wall.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
This is hilarious

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
lol though at the idea of self flagellating with a lacrosse ball in a sock

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

ICHIBAHN posted:

In a sock?!

Barbaric right?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i got my first tap at no-gi rolling yesterday evening :peanut:

side mount into americana but it just kind of happened, i didn't even really think about it

coach and upper belts were all like "yeah thats it, good job!" and then next round i immediately get arm barred lmao. no-gi is a lot of fun!!!

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I returned to class yesterday after blowing out a finger tendon a month ago. Felt pretty anxious just walking in the door. My PT friend who had gone through a similar injury was there and convinced me not to grapple til the splint is off though, so I stuck to Art Jimmerson style striking. Not the most satisfying thing but still good to be back in the atmosphere at least.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I can hear willie_dee getting the vapors on that self-defense stuff:
http://drunkcyclist.com/2017/03/28/tales-from-the-trail-getting-stompd/

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

That comment section is a wild ride

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

i got my first tap at no-gi rolling yesterday evening :peanut:

side mount into americana but it just kind of happened, i didn't even really think about it

coach and upper belts were all like "yeah thats it, good job!" and then next round i immediately get arm barred lmao. no-gi is a lot of fun!!!

Congrats!

My sensei showed a sneaky cross collar choke from mount setup to armbar that I immediately loved. Cross choke gets the arm up to protect the neck so you can pin a leg under the arm and go through the normal setup of your arm grab. And then it actually worked the first time I used it (on a purple belt that Im sure was going light on me).

Faking with a scissor sweep (going one way) and then quickly changing up with flower sweep is another I've been trying.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

kimbo305 posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. I don't know if I would have done better than that poor dude, getting assaulted out of nowhere.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Does BJJ work on the trail?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

I feel really bad for the dude, but i don't know what "getting the vapors" means, I like to think I would fight back if someone randomly attacks me like that? Scary thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_yS9iQ0qeQ

I would of broken this blokes arm for sure though (or at least tried and see how my BJJ works irl) and kept him for the police for sure, loving bike thieves.

(its a common distraction/bike theft trick, someone talks to you, someone else takes the keys, you chase them on foot, the second guy wheels your bike out of site, guy loops round and takes off on your motorbike)

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

willie_dee posted:

I feel really bad for the dude, but i don't know what "getting the vapors" means, I like to think I would fight back if someone randomly attacks me like that? Scary thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_yS9iQ0qeQ

I would of broken this blokes arm for sure though (or at least tried and see how my BJJ works irl) and kept him for the police for sure, loving bike thieves.

(its a common distraction/bike theft trick, someone talks to you, someone else takes the keys, you chase them on foot, the second guy wheels your bike out of site, guy loops round and takes off on your motorbike)

I was actually coming here now to post that video as "actual footage of willie_dee vs bike thief surfaced" but welp

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. I don't know if I would have done better than that poor dude, getting assaulted out of nowhere.

I sometimes think about whether I would try to lead with a headbutt on someone if I had my bike helmet on. Would take it off asap to they didn't have a nice handle on my head, though.

willie_dee posted:

i don't know what "getting the vapors" means,
It means this:

quote:

I would of broken this blokes arm for sure though (or at least tried and see how my BJJ works irl)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kekekela posted:

bum fights for catfood

New thread title please

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Yea, someone being an agressive rear end hole is just adult bullying most of the time, I used to get it a bit when I was smaller, don't anymore sadly. It's horrible and if it's a surprise who knows what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

The comments to this post are loving incredible. Every bad internet argument at once.