Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lars Von Trier makes good movies. Nobody sees them except this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

kiimo posted:

Well you're half right

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The only Lars von Trier films I've seen in theaters are Nymphomaniac parts 1 and 2. They were not exactly what I'd call good, but they were pretty entertaining.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Melancholia is legit great

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

kiimo posted:

and the weirdos on the movie forum I post at, who worship at the altar of Dogville and Melancholia.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

That's what I thought you meant, just making sure. I agree with you, and the depression trilogy is easily one of the best theater experiences I've ever had, Melancholia especially. At the same time this forum also seems pretty obsessed with Marvel movies. Perhaps we're just a representative ratio slice of the whole pie, but there's at least some cognitive dissonance going on. People spend quite a bit of time debating about and monetarily supporting safe, by-the-numbers poo poo that is in utter abundance, and often express mockery or disbelief when the worth of that formula is called into question.

It takes all kinds, I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BonoMan posted:

Melancholia is legit great

Of his latter day stuff, I think I like it somewhat more than Antichrist.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

More disturbing is people saying The Force Awakens sucks while simultaneously waxing poetic about Transformers and Fast & The Furious.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

More disturbing is people saying The Force Awakens sucks while simultaneously waxing poetic about Transformers and Fast & The Furious.

I completely agree.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Force Awakens was great when it came out in 1977

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

kiimo posted:

thats the sickest part

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

This movie shadows the plot of a legitimate classic and is therefore bad.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd make a joke about that movie being Hidden Fortress but I don't want to summon SMG

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

thats the sickest part

Lol.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
hosed up that people don't like bad movies, and like good ones.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The situation in CineD has become dangerous and unacceptable

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Transformers may be more interesting to discuss than TFA in terms of cultural idiosyncrasy, but they're both D-List. Transformers is just the "A-List of the D-List."

edit; a gently caress, stealth edit not quick enough

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Transformers may be more interesting to discuss than TFA in terms of cultural idiosyncrasy, but it's still basically the "A-List of the D-List."

Goosebumps was better than The Force Awakens.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Goosebumps was better than The Force Awakens.

I was seriously not expecting the movie to code Stine as a child abuser who wrote a series of charming children's books as a way of sealing away his violent pathologies

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CineD being the bizarro world of film talk is the best thing about it. No where else could you get in depth analysis of the Star Wars Prequels or Transformers films. Yeah, it makes it hard to have a normal conversation about movies that have a more positive main stream consensus, like TDK, but you can do that anywhere else.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I was seriously not expecting the movie to code Stine as a child abuser who wrote a series of charming children's books as a way of sealing away his violent pathologies

I should have figured it would be really weird based on the fact R.L. Stine is the main character, and he's played by Jack Black.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

kiimo posted:

Fast 5 was amazing, what is wrong with you.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

But Blade isn't even good?????

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like no one really really likes the Force Awakens right? Like who loves that movie? I can easily see people loving F&FVII or whatever (even though the one with the plane is the only really great one. Six I think?)

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Awhile back there was a Blade marathon on TV and I got excited since I've never seen them. I knew 1 and 2 were supposed to be good and three terrible.

I wasn't prepared. They were all laughably bad. And it wasn't just that they were incredibly dated, I was wondering how anyone except for a twelve year old could think they were good. I did some channel hopping and fortunately Underworld 1 was starting so I still managed to get my vampire fix.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Rough Lobster posted:

Awhile back there was a Blade marathon on TV and I got excited since I've never seen them. I knew 1 and 2 were supposed to be good and three terrible.

I wasn't prepared. They were all laughably bad. And it wasn't just that they were incredibly dated, I was wondering how anyone except for a twelve year old could think they were good. I did some channel hopping and fortunately Underworld 1 was starting so I still managed to get my vampire fix.

Underworld is massively more boring than Blades I and II. Snipes is a million times more interesting than Kate Beckinsale.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

I feel like no one really really likes the Force Awakens right? Like who loves that movie? I can easily see people loving F&FVII or whatever (even though the one with the plane is the only really great one. Six I think?)

Same as Jurassic World: kids. Maybe less so. But as far as I know, kids loved the hell out of Jurassic World.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I should have figured it would be really weird based on the fact R.L. Stine is the main character, and he's played by Jack Black.

The fact that the real RL Stine shows up for 5 seconds at the end and confirms his status as a droopy harmless granddad is a great punchline on that poo poo

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

evil_cheese posted:

Fast 5 was amazing, what is wrong with you.

I do remember Kiimo posting favorably about a movie with fast cars...

kiimo posted:

Here's our trailer for Pixels. We beat out 9 other trailer houses for it and then suffered about a month of unbelievable Sony nonsense to get what we could into the trailer without them screwing it up. This movie is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIOcWZOQL5M

:newlol:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Same as Jurassic World: kids. Maybe less so. But as far as I know, kids loved the hell out of Jurassic World.

Kids love dinosaurs. Worked twenty years ago, will work twenty years from now.

Seeing what movies survive in cultural memory for kids today in what is a constant barrage of "this is the biggest event of your life" movie marketing campaigns is going to be interesting.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Disney really missed an opportunity to make a Turok movie.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

I do remember Kiimo posting favorably about a movie with fast cars...

Cute family movie with a couple good lol moments? :shrug:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

porfiria posted:

I do.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

kiimo posted:

I don't like Transformers in the slightest, and have only seen two movies from the Fast/Furious universe, but Force Awakens is not a good movie. It is technically competent. Mostly. It has good sound design? It has a few somewhat interesting characters? But overall it's mediocre, and that's worse than the prequels, which are endlessly fascinating in what a fiasco they are. Like, at this point, we still talk about the prequels more than TFA. there just isn't much to say, because TFA has nothing under the hood.

The thing is, this forum likes things that lend themselves to discussion. So Avengers sucks because there's not much you can say about it beyond sharing quotes, and doing what SMG did: showing why it's poorly shot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

porfiria posted:

I love parts of it. Other parts not so much.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Yeah I was gonna say. Based on the amount of merchandise I see at CVS I'd say they loved it more. Lightsabers just activate something primeval. Like dinosaurs I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

Kids love dinosaurs. Worked twenty years ago, will work twenty years from now.

Seeing what movies survive in cultural memory for kids today in what is a constant barrage of "this is the biggest event of your life" movie marketing campaigns is going to be interesting.

Yeah, it's hilarious the poo poo that actually has legs, like Cars (should be completely obvious) and the dang Minions.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Yeah, it's hilarious the poo poo that actually has legs, like Cars (should be completely obvious) and the dang Minions.

Cars makes total sense. Little boys love toy cars and it's the ultimate playset. Disney needed a boy franchise and it got one to last forever, jesus.

Minions on the other hand really are a mystery. I mean, they make funny sounds and words, and appeal to the fart joke sensibilities I guess. I liked the first DM and yet the Minions have always been the lowest level of kid humor.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Cars makes total sense. Little boys love toy cars and it's the ultimate playset. Disney needed a boy franchise and it got one to last forever, jesus.

I don't care for Cars at all, but it does gangbusters in merchandising and gave us Carsland in DCA, so I will never question Disney on that one.

And I can only assume I am just a few short months away from having to take back all the silly things I said about Avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Disney really missed an opportunity to make a Turok movie.

Maybe they can piggyback the new Tomb Raider for it?

The visuals of Force Awakens are great at least, the hitler speech as the superweapon fires is legit great cinema, but it just doesn't have the emotional impact of when I first saw the DEATH STAR blow up Alderaan and realized what that meant.

• Locked thread