Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

a new study bible! posted:

They are 100 percent worse because they have been at the front door of success multiple times, and instead of making one or two sensible decisions and walking right in, they burn the building down and piss on the ashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Soooooo do the Cowboys have a secondary?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

shyduck posted:

Anyone want Romo for half a secondary?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Lote posted:

Anyone want Romo for half a secondary?

We have a slightly used Joe Haden.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Come on, Philly. Just draft a RB in the first. You know you wanna. Complete that offense, babyyyy!

I want Shady back :cry:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
But McCoy was a 2nd round pick and Westbrook was a 3rd round pick. Why waste a 1st round pick when the value is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of a deep RB draft?

I'm pretty sure the Eagles want to pass the ball.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

NotWearingPants posted:

But McCoy was a 2nd round pick and Westbrook was a 3rd round pick. Why waste a 1st round pick when the value is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of a deep RB draft?

I'm pretty sure the Eagles want to pass the ball.

Yeah yeah. I just like RBs.

Seems like everybody is down on drafting a CB in the first that's not Lattimore since Jones tore his ACL

Double dipping in the first and second for CBs would be cool. I just want to super size that offense. Remember back when we had DeSean, LeSean, Maclin, and Vick? I member.

89 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 17, 2017

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

89 posted:

I just want to super size that offense. Remember back when we had DeSean, LeSean, Maclin, and Vick? I member.

Yeah. I actually want to build this team with a MONSTER offense and opportunistic defensive playmakers.

Like a true "bend but force turnovers and stout in the red zone"

You already have one of those guys in Hicks IMO. Need a ball hawk corner and another legit edge rusher and this team would be set up a lot like the Manning Colts - hopefully our secondary stud will be able to stay on the field (which i maintain would have won them more championships)

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Not anything noteworthy really, but the Eagles hosted Mike Williams, Dalvin Cook, Leonard Fournette, and Corey Davis today.

I put broken glass in their gas tank. They ain't going anywhere.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

shyduck posted:

Lookin pretty dire right now, I must admit

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Giants locked up 8 fingers. 40 Mill guaranteed. I think it wasn't worth the price but we weren't keeping him otherwise and I'm okay with keeping him.

Giants also signed Geno Smith

lol

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Lookin pretty dire right now, I must admit

Anthony Brown, Jeff Heath, Byron Jones, Orlando Scandrick and ????

I want to say that the current staff inherited the corners so maybe they wanted to go a different direction. Hopefully we hit on some picks or UDFAs, maybe a camp casualty for depth.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 19, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Febreeze posted:

Giants locked up 8 fingers. 40 Mill guaranteed. I think it wasn't worth the price but we weren't keeping him otherwise and I'm okay with keeping him.

Giants also signed Geno Smith

lol

5m per finger

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

NFCE will continue to be the best divison in the league next season. Pats are going to win it all again, so it won't matter, but it will be fun to poo poo talk before the playoffs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TeeMerk posted:

Anthony Brown, Jeff Heath, Byron Jones, Orlando Scandrick and ????

I want to say that the current staff inherited the corners so maybe they wanted to go a different direction. Hopefully we hit on some picks or UDFAs, maybe a camp casualty for depth.

It's clear that secondary will be a position of focus for us in the draft, but it's very, very rare for a secondary player to make a strong impact in his first year (or even second) in the league. We'll almost certainly look for FA help at CB and S. Jones played well last year and should improve this season, Scandrick appears to be back in playing form, and Brown was a pleasant surprise last year. Heath is garbage though. The ideal scenario would have seen Jones being moved back to CB with us retaining someone, but we're well past that now.

I see where the team is coming from with regard to the free agency strategy--it's more important to make sure the offense is firing on all cylinders since offensive consistency is much easier to maintain and Carr, Claibourne, and Church were all mediocre players who got overpaid, but as Carolina found out last year, you also can't cover opposing WRs with cap space. And our defense vacillated between "bad" and "playing above their talent level and often with a lead" last year, so I'm not wild about where we're currently going.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I wish I could enjoy Dallas' secondary issues, but the Eagles have no cornerbacks right now.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Tony Romo is a master of subtlety.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Eagles lost Kenyon Barner. Most Eagles fans are probably glad about this or don't care at all, but I liked Barner. He was at least depth at RB and now all the Eagles have is Sproles and 2nd year Smallwood assuming Ryan Matthews is eventually released. I expect the Eagles to take an RB in this draft, but I'd rather they didn't enter the draft needing one.

edit: I forgot about Byron Marshall who I guess could be considered depth, if you count an undrafted player who spent the year on the practice squad as depth.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 21, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

NotWearingPants posted:

The Eagles lost Kenyon Barner. Most Eagles fans are probably glad about this or don't care at all, but I liked Barner. He was at least depth at RB and now all the Eagles have is Sproles and 2nd year Smallwood assuming Ryan Matthews is eventually released. I expect the Eagles to take an RB in this draft, but I'd rather they didn't enter the draft needing one.

edit: I forgot about Byron Marshall who I guess could be considered depth, if you count an undrafted player who spent the year on the practice squad as depth.

He was really good on special teams and never disappointed me as a back. He's one of those players where I as a fan can't understand why he shouldn't compete to be a starter but I just assume coaches know more than me.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

They already needed one you nitwits

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Who was the big lad that made his debut and scored a td for the Eagles in the last game against Dallas ?

They will probably keep a hold of him as well as drafting a guy.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
One of the guys in my tailgate group won the lottery for tickets to round 1 of the draft.

I'll be the guy in the crowd reaction shot who lifts up his Eagles jersey to expose a "Trump is Illiterate" t-shirt.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

One of the guys in my tailgate group won the lottery for tickets to round 1 of the draft.

I'll be the guy in the crowd reaction shot who lifts up his Eagles jersey to expose a "Trump is Illiterate" t-shirt.

you're doing the lord's work

Also, enjoy. I went to day 1 a few times--it's pretty fun. If you give enough of a poo poo, Day 3 is also cool too, because it's more laid back and if you hang around long enough, you can win some cool raffle stuff--I won an autographed Fred Taylor Jaguars mini-helmet a few years ago because the people in front of my left and gave me all their raffle tix

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Eagles fanbase doesn't seem to remember booing McNabb

https://twitter.com/EagleFanProbs/status/846019309939908609

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

I like counting Romo's seasons when he was a backup on the team. Romo only logged 10 seasons as a starter for the Cowboys, and two of those were missed almost in their entirety due to injury.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I never really thought about it before, but McNabb and Romo are probably decent comparisons.

Romo had better stats, but he had better receivers. McNabb won more playoff games, but he had better teams.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NotWearingPants posted:

I never really thought about it before, but McNabb and Romo are probably decent comparisons.

Romo had better stats, but he had better receivers. McNabb won more playoff games, but he had better teams.

Watch both end up playing for Washington.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

The other difference is that McNabb had a much, much better coach for most of his career in Philly. Romo only had Parcells for a season and a half. Clock-management issues aside, Reid is a phenomenal coach and talent evaluator. In my opinion, having consistent success with multiple teams is more impressive than winning the Super Bowl, since winning a Super Bowl requires way more luck than consistently making the playoffs with different teams/QBs/front offices.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Watch both end up playing for Washington.

The current word is that Romo feels like it's going to be "Houston or retirement" for him.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I just want to see Tony Romo quit the Cowboys, move south of the border and become the masked luchador Tony Loco. Worked for Bill Goldberg.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

Clock-management issues aside, Reid is a phenomenal coach and talent evaluator. In my opinion, having consistent success with multiple teams is more impressive than winning the Super Bowl, since winning a Super Bowl requires way more luck than consistently making the playoffs with different teams/QBs/front offices.

Actually he was a horrible talent evaluator and Reid getting more power over the roster was what eventually led to the collapse of his team and his firing. His subsequent success in KC probably has a lot to do with his lack of control over player personnel.

The reason McNabb played for better teams than Romo was because the Eagles had better defenses. And those defenses were under the complete control of Jim Johnson, not Andy Reid.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Actually he was a horrible talent evaluator and Reid getting more power over the roster was what eventually led to the collapse of his team and his firing. His subsequent success in KC probably has a lot to do with his lack of control over player personnel.

The reason McNabb played for better teams than Romo was because the Eagles had better defenses. And those defenses were under the complete control of Jim Johnson, not Andy Reid.

The talent that Reid left Kelly with was more than enough to win the NFC East with and he and the org still managed to gently caress it up badly. Reid does have power over personnel decisions in KC and basically made the decision to hire current Chiefs' GM John Dorsey.

McNabb had some strong defenses to work with in the first half of the 2000s but that was impossible to sustain over a long period of time (Dawkins wasn't going to be a beast forever). And it wasn't like Reid fired Johnson or anything, but the team stayed competitive on offense and as a whole through the transition to Vick. That says more about Johnson's strength as a Defensive Coordinator than Reid's weakness in my opinion.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Reid would still be the Eagles coach if Jim Johnson never died

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Reid would still be the Eagles coach if Jim Johnson never died

Or maybe if hiring Juan Castillo wasn't his solution to Sean McDermott not being Jim Johnson already after one year.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
All these what ifs are distracting us from the true issue: the Eagles have never won a Super Bowl

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Febreeze posted:

All these what ifs are distracting us from the true issue: the Eagles have never won a Super Bowl

At least two are inevitable for Wentz, so it's not really as hot a topic as it used to be.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Reid is a phenomenal coach and talent evaluator.

Andy's a great game week coach, but is terrible on game day. clock management aside, he could rarely if ever make effective in-game adjustments on offense and for any comebacks relied exclusively on McNabb making plays. even the most memorable comebacks he coached in Philly it was always McNabb/Vick playing absolutely out of their minds (and even then they usually needed an ST score). it's why they never put a premium on WR, which he was and continues to be bad at evaluating

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FuriousxGeorge posted:

At least two are inevitable for Wentz, so it's not really as hot a topic as it used to be.

Lol imagine if philly fans actually were this delusional

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It looks to me like Garrett is developing into something like Andy Reid, actually - a weak gameday coach who is a good team builder. Unfortunately his learning curve wasted the last good years of Romo's career.

Tony Romo's 2011 season featured some of the best QB play I've ever seen that was also completely futile. Over 4000 yards, 31 TD 10 INT, 100+ passer rating... and 8-8.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

It looks to me like Garrett is developing into something like Andy Reid, actually - a weak gameday coach who is a good team builder. Unfortunately his learning curve wasted the last good years of Romo's career.

Tony Romo's 2011 season featured some of the best QB play I've ever seen that was also completely futile. Over 4000 yards, 31 TD 10 INT, 100+ passer rating... and 8-8.

the 2011 team was really weird. A combination of not having quite enough talent and just being outclassed by the Eagles and Giants. FO has us at 16th on defense and 12th on offense that year, which feels right, particularly for an 8-8 team. Comparatively, the Giants were 7th off/19th def and the Eagles were 8th off/11th def. And even with that, the season hinged on a dropped pass by a wide-open Miles Austin in week 17. But I don't look back and think that Cowboys team would have made the Super Bowl or anything.

Comparatively, 2013 for me is the "Rock Bottom" of "Romo plays out of his goddamn mind with absolutely nothing to show for it" because that's when our defense was so blisteringly, eye-wateringly terrible that no amount of points was ever going to be enough to secure a win for the Cowboys and the only chance we had of winning a given game was based on whether we had the ball last. Another 8-8 season where Romo passed for 3,954 yards with 33 TDs and 12 INTs, which included:
- A 51-48 loss to Denver during Peyton Manning's record-breaking season
- A 31-30 loss to the Lions where the Defense gave up an 80-yard TD drive to Matt Stafford in the last 50 seconds of the game
- A 45-28 loss to the Bears in which the Cowboys turned the ball over 0 times
- A 37-36 loss to the Packers where the Cowboys gave up a 26-3 lead at Halftime and a 36-24 lead with 7 minutes remaining
- A 30-21 loss to the Chargers where the Cowboys gave up a 4th-quarter lead
- A 49-17 loss to the Saints that saw the Cowboys down 35-17 at the start of the 4th quarter (another 0-turnover game)

That team was so bad on defense that nothing short of a 5,000-yard, 50 td/5 int season could have saved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

TheChirurgeon posted:

the 2011 team was really weird. A combination of not having quite enough talent and just being outclassed by the Eagles and Giants. FO has us at 16th on defense and 12th on offense that year, which feels right, particularly for an 8-8 team. Comparatively, the Giants were 7th off/19th def and the Eagles were 8th off/11th def. And even with that, the season hinged on a dropped pass by a wide-open Miles Austin in week 17. But I don't look back and think that Cowboys team would have made the Super Bowl or anything.

Comparatively, 2013 for me is the "Rock Bottom" of "Romo plays out of his goddamn mind with absolutely nothing to show for it" because that's when our defense was so blisteringly, eye-wateringly terrible that no amount of points was ever going to be enough to secure a win for the Cowboys and the only chance we had of winning a given game was based on whether we had the ball last. Another 8-8 season where Romo passed for 3,954 yards with 33 TDs and 12 INTs, which included:
- A 51-48 loss to Denver during Peyton Manning's record-breaking season
- A 31-30 loss to the Lions where the Defense gave up an 80-yard TD drive to Matt Stafford in the last 50 seconds of the game
- A 45-28 loss to the Bears in which the Cowboys turned the ball over 0 times
- A 37-36 loss to the Packers where the Cowboys gave up a 26-3 lead at Halftime and a 36-24 lead with 7 minutes remaining
- A 30-21 loss to the Chargers where the Cowboys gave up a 4th-quarter lead
- A 49-17 loss to the Saints that saw the Cowboys down 35-17 at the start of the 4th quarter (another 0-turnover game)

That team was so bad on defense that nothing short of a 5,000-yard, 50 td/5 int season could have saved it.

Oooh yeah, that's an even better example. A fractionally less pretty stat line from Romo, but an utterly dire dumpster fire defense

• Locked thread