Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

pun pundit posted:

What are the consequences of running through a square with a dead 'mech in it?
It should just be +1 mp to enter, due to difficult terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

pun pundit posted:

What are the consequences of running through a square with a dead 'mech in it?

It's rough terrain, + 1MP to traverse.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also may have spare mech limbs in it you can pick up and club another mech with, if you have hand actuators and also if you don't care that it's almost definitely a worse option than any other options you have for damaging an opponent.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

From the sounds of it, mech armies used to be bigger too around the peak of the Star League, so it's kind of interesting to imagine during the big civil war and then the first succession war before everything broke down and they'd throw massive armies at each other with a constant churn of replacement machines and pilots.

Even when things get moving on production again the setting has a lot of feudal conceits, like lords being out front fighting with their troops and pilots being a warrior caste of pseudo-nobility with rules about prisoners and the like. I'm guessing in an earlier time their armies were a bit more like the militaries of today, it'd probably change the tone of combat quite a bit. When people could still use nukes regularly they probably weren't as quick to put their heirs on the front lines.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, not just that, but putting your commander on the front lines means they can't see nearly as much of the battle. Modern armies don't keep their generals back out of cowardice, they do it because a general and their staff are much more valuable providing coordination and a clear picture of what's going on rather than being out getting shot at.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much

PoptartsNinja posted:

“It ate your Astech, Leitholm.”

Assuming 4GW load, D-D and 0.033g D per liter, that's 53237 years worth of Astech. Yeep.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Live by the sword, die by the sword. If you're going to shoot the wounded, why would they even bother surrendering? Fight to the end. :black101:

Considering that most of the modern battlefield practices were popularized by mercenaries who were trying to protect their valuable military hardware, it seems self-defeating. Getting everyone in your unit killed and ruining the family's finances is just a cherry on the stupid cake.

Dolash posted:

From the sounds of it, mech armies used to be bigger too around the peak of the Star League, so it's kind of interesting to imagine during the big civil war and then the first succession war before everything broke down and they'd throw massive armies at each other with a constant churn of replacement machines and pilots.

Even when things get moving on production again the setting has a lot of feudal conceits, like lords being out front fighting with their troops and pilots being a warrior caste of pseudo-nobility with rules about prisoners and the like. I'm guessing in an earlier time their armies were a bit more like the militaries of today, it'd probably change the tone of combat quite a bit. When people could still use nukes regularly they probably weren't as quick to put their heirs on the front lines.

You're correct that armies used to be much larger. If you check out the Star League-era publications, you start to notice that, for example, the Lyran Guard peaked at sixty regiments. Just one brigade had more Mech regiments than the entire Capellan Confederation did in 3025. Consequently engagements were much bigger and that's where the disconnect comes in. Leading from the front was functionally impossible. Focht needed a holotank to run things on Tukayyid, and Tukayyid was the only engagement that was even close to the scale of a Star League deployment. If it were somehow possible they'd put their family members on the front lines because posturing is hella important.

But it's not that people CAN'T use nukes now. It's that they just don't. The option is still on the table but nobody's dumb enough to use it.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 28, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

Considering that most of the modern battlefield practices were popularized by mercenaries who were trying to protect their valuable military hardware, it seems self-defeating. Getting everyone in your unit killed and ruining the family's finances is just a cherry on the stupid cake.

Oh, I'm with you. I'm just saying, if you're going to let bloodlust override good sense, at least understand it cuts both ways. Thematically, it would make more sense if they died fighting to the last man. At least then they'd just be blood knight style warriors who fought to kill and be killed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Oh, I'm with you. I'm just saying, if you're going to let bloodlust override good sense, at least understand it cuts both ways. Thematically, it would make more sense if they died fighting to the last man. At least then they'd just be blood knight style warriors who fought to kill and be killed.

I don't think it was bloodlust on their part, they used it as a way to cheat. They went around shooting downed pilots, attacking medical bases as "distractions" when they got under too much heat or staged surprised attacks by faking surrender. You know, heel stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't think it was bloodlust on their part, they used it as a way to cheat. They went around shooting downed pilots, attacking medical bases as "distractions" when they got under too much heat or staged surprised attacks by faking surrender. You know, heel stuff.

The sort of stuff idiots think is really clever until the exact moment it stops working and they all die?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Even the Blakists were like "we are going to have to put a stop to you!"

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Hey, I've had trouble getting orders in, so I'd just like to pass my mech to a substitute and be taken off the pilot list, sorry! I appreciate having faith in me again ,but I'm bad at this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

But it's not that people CAN'T use nukes now. It's that they just don't. The option is still on the table but nobody's dumb enough to use it.

Taurian Concordat?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Taurian Concordat: "hold my beer"

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Well, things seemed to be going all right for them until they got their warship damaged. They've never enjoyed the moderately higher success rate of being the protagonists, but with the recent Comstar vote to reveal the Capellan plots against both the Concordat and New Syrtis, they'll probably end up reluctant allies.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 28, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Volmarias posted:

Taurian Concordat?

Even they weren't stupid enough to do it outside the Jihad. Not like they were popping off nukes in 3025.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Neopie posted:

Hey, I've had trouble getting orders in, so I'd just like to pass my mech to a substitute and be taken off the pilot list, sorry! I appreciate having faith in me again ,but I'm bad at this.
You may want to PM PTN directly just to make sure he notices before next turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Neopie posted:

Send in orders as you can, I've had an alternate covering for you in between. I know you work and that takes priority over playing games on the internet.

Wednesday's update is going to be pushed back to Sunday. My grandmother passed away and I'm not going to be in any mood to write.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Send in orders as you can, I've had an alternate covering for you in between. I know you work and that takes priority over playing games on the internet.

Wednesday's update is going to be pushed back to Sunday. My grandmother passed away and I'm not going to be in any mood to write.

My condolences.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Condolences PTN. Take all the time you need.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's quite the thing to have happen. You deserve a break.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

You have my condolences as well, PTN. I'm sorry for your loss.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

My condolences.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

My condolences.

The same happened to me a few weeks past. She was awesome and died of cancer, meaning I mostly sat around staring for hours at my screen. Take your time PTN

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry to hear that PTN. :(

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That sucks PTN, take whatever time you need.

On another note, Saeder-Krupp is deep into Amaris' pockets isn't it, what with the PA(L) suits being handed out to them. Don't those require NRWR mind-control tech to work because the hands are too bulky to work the normal controls?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Condolences, PTN.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Condolences, PTN

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Aw man, condolences PTN.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hey wait a sec, the Black Marauder is a command mech - does that mean the Ace stuff is suppressed again?

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hey wait a sec, the Black Marauder is a command mech - does that mean the Ace stuff is suppressed again?

I thought that was due to the Green Knight's battle computer feeding friendlies data? Either way, the Marauder is, well, marauding at the moment, and being less than friendly to everyone, so kinda doubt it would be providing that bonus anyway.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Sorry to hear about your grandmother, PTN. Take all the time you need.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

On another note, Saeder-Krupp is deep into Amaris' pockets isn't it, what with the PA(L) suits being handed out to them. Don't those require NRWR mind-control tech to work because the hands are too bulky to work the normal controls?

The Rim Worlders make the PA(L) suits but that doesn't mean that no one else can. They allow pilots to control their mechs through neurohelmet and eye tracking interfaces, no wetware needed. (Or available, for now.)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

My grandmother passed away and I'm not going to be in any mood to write.

Deepest sympathies.

Thoughts and Prayers for you and your family.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nothing is quite as heavy as dealing with a death in the family...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DatonKallandor posted:

That sucks PTN, take whatever time you need.

this post made me lol a little.

sorry to hear that ptn, I hope the family are ok.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Sorry to hear PTN, you have my condolences,

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, condolences man. Losing family's never easy.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
drat, sorry to read that PTN.

My sympathies, it's a blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I got an email that Far Country is now in ebook form

• Locked thread