Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean I guess the god-like power of "being able to prescribe the fun drugs" is a bit cooler than "wrote the login page for google plus" yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Twerk from Home posted:

If you just piss straight in the sink you conserve both water and time.

Remember to piss on your hands to clean them. Urine is sterile!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Especially after a 3-martini lunch.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Renegret posted:

Unless it's for boarding their own god drat planes jesus christ southwest get your act together

Southwest has the fastest plane turnaround in the industry. Cattle call boarding is not going anywhere.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Southwest has the fastest plane turnaround in the industry. Cattle call boarding is not going anywhere.

Ya except when I fly from LA to St. Louis I get to connect in Newark and Atlanta first. Oh ya and not deboarding the plane so I sit there at stare at the randos we picked up.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Residency Evil posted:

Hah, my program was pretty front loaded so we were 60-65 pretty consistently. No in house call was pretty great though.
Bit of a derail, but how much radiation do you actually absorb as a rad onc? That might be a profession where you would be limited on hours on a yearly basis so you don't set off gieger counters

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CannonFodder posted:

Bit of a derail, but how much radiation do you actually absorb as a rad onc? That might be a profession where you would be limited on hours on a yearly basis so you don't set off gieger counters

Almost none. XKCD has a fantastic chart for this: https://xkcd.com/radiation/ . If you look, the yearly limit is 50 mSv. We wear radiation badges to measure our exposure and I don't think mine's ever gone above "normal" background radiation. If any of us came close to the yearly limit our radiation people would be losing their poo poo. When one of my co-workers was pregnant she requested an extra sensitive detector just in case and just gave up on it after a few months since it never showed anything. The machines we use to deliver radiation to patients are behind literally feet of concrete/shielding, and we're nowhere close to them while the treatments are actually getting delivered.

The people I worry about are the interventional cardiologists/radiologists. A lifetime of standing next to a fluoro machine can't be good.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CannonFodder posted:

That's what the nurses and techs are for.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah every time I've had something involving ionizing radiation done recently it seems like they made a tech do the actual leg work while they were in another room, then came in to analyze the results :v:

I tried to ask the guy how many Sieverts I got blasted with once but he just kinda went "you're good, you can go now" like I hadn't said anything

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 28, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah every time I've had something involving ionizing radiation done recently it seems like they made a tech do the actual leg work while they were in another room, then came in to analyze the results :v:

I tried to ask the guy how many Sieverts I got blasted with once but he just kinda went "you're good, you can go now" like I hadn't said anything

You should have asked for the Banana-equivalent dose instead.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

I guess it varies for everyone. I'll say that I've found more satisfaction in being able to be a part of giving someone an extra year with their family than I ever did in improving some code to be more efficient. I'm sure it also depending on what you're doing at Google. My friend who's essentially a (well payed) computer janitor there seems way less enthusiastic about his job than a friend who's on a different team.

Don't forget their self-driving car program - there you're looking at technology with the potential to save tens of thousands of lives every year, and dramatically improve the quality of life for elderly/disabled people who can't drive manually. That's got to offer more potential for real satisfaction that routine IT crap.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cockmaster posted:

Don't forget their self-driving car program - there you're looking at technology with the potential to save tens of thousands of lives every year, and dramatically improve the quality of life for elderly/disabled people who can't drive manually. That's got to offer more potential for real satisfaction that routine IT crap.

You're not working on the self driving car as a computer janitor. There's still a lot of normal administration stuff to do no matter where you go.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 28, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

The people I worry about are the interventional cardiologists/radiologists. A lifetime of standing next to a fluoro machine can't be good.

I know a handful of these guys who have gotten NASTY cancers in their 40's and 50's. One guy would routinely work with his hands in the field like, you know we can see your bones up there, right?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
How are they not using finger badges? Also, how the gently caress is fluoro still a thing in radonc? It seems like such a lovely, lovely idea for so many reasons, but then, I design particle therapy systems for a living so any time I see "yo let's pump ALL DA DOSE" my toes curl.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hey radiation guys I have some samples of natural uranium and thorium that I keep in a steel can with a piece of lead just kinda... sittin' on top... for good measure... am I gonna die

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well its unlikely that they've given you some sort of immortality, so yes you are definitely going to die.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Tim Thomas posted:

How are they not using finger badges? Also, how the gently caress is fluoro still a thing in radonc? It seems like such a lovely, lovely idea for so many reasons, but then, I design particle therapy systems for a living so any time I see "yo let's pump ALL DA DOSE" my toes curl.

The guys I know were doing this in the late nineties, early aughts and finger badges were either not available or "too cumbersome" to the loving cowboys who literally put their hands in the field hours a day every day.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ashcans posted:

Well its unlikely that they've given you some sort of immortality, so yes you are definitely going to die.

But will you really ever live?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

But will you really ever live?

Well I haven't bought a horse or a boat, so probably not. :smith:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I know a handful of these guys who have gotten NASTY cancers in their 40's and 50's. One guy would routinely work with his hands in the field like, you know we can see your bones up there, right?
Why is a doctor working a second job as a picker?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

cowofwar posted:

Because it's Iowa, duh.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The guys I know were doing this in the late nineties, early aughts and finger badges were either not available or "too cumbersome" to the loving cowboys who literally put their hands in the field hours a day every day.

Makes sense, but back to "how the gently caress is fluoro A Thing"

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Tim Thomas posted:

Makes sense, but back to "how the gently caress is fluoro A Thing"

I don't think it is for RO - we were both talking about interventionalists. I'll leave it to Residency Evil to confirm, but none of the RO docs I know have any significant exposure whatsoever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Hello internet. I "invested" 10k in my friend's business and it folded within the first month. Also, he never actually formed a business and I sent him a personal check.

How can I best sue my friend to recoup my losses?

Yes, I did have a contract (he sent me an email once and told me profits were guaranteed)

quote:

Invested $10,000 in a friend's business and now he can't pay back

I invested $10,000 in a friend's business for a monthly return but now he can't make any monthly return payments or the principle amount. He has shutdown the business but hasn't filed for a bankruptcy. He resides in Maryland and I'm located in a different state.

I paid with a check. What are my options ? If I hire an attorney can I recoup attorney fees ? I'm only looking to get back my principal amount at this time.

Below is an excerpt from the email he sent out as part of our agreement.

1) Investment amount=$10K 2) Return on investment 10% almost guaranteed and could go as high as 12% depending on monthly sales. 3) Your investment is secure and personally guaranteed by me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/615oiy/invested_10000_in_a_friends_business_and_now_he/

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Like metastatic squamous cells of the digits?

Jan 11, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

Unless it was a major abdominal fluoro procedure the answer is quantified in millisieverts and further the techs have no idea generally speaking

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Unless it was a major abdominal fluoro procedure the answer is quantified in millisieverts and further the techs have no idea generally speaking

Yeah I know approximately what it actually was I was just tryin' to talk about cool physics stuff :saddowns:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Like metastatic squamous cells of the digits?

Why did I image search this??

Jan 11, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Doctors have the last profession where your job is your life but you are at least well compensated. That will change eventually though.

That's not really true, big law, banking, consulting, and I'm sure many more involve horrible lifestyles for junior people with professional degrees with the dangling promise of a big payout down the line. Objectively in comparison to my lawyer sibling and friends my long-hours-high-output-although-predictable medicine lifestyle seems better.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 28, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Rolo posted:

Why did I image search this??

Because you haven't read enough Lovecraft to know what "squamous" means.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Because it's Iowa, duh.
[Jastiger] Des Moines has a high quality of life at a low cost, it's far Better With Money than Chicago, also we have the Iowa ChopTM [/Jastiger]

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iowa: You Could Do Worse™

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

cowofwar posted:

What's wrong with playing the banjo? :banjo:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's a doozer.

quote:

Lost 50K and sanity to a girl

tl;dr willingly gave a girl a lot of money, mostly through direct venmo payments. I have her name and phone number, but not much else. Don't know how to get it back.

I'll start with the obvious: I'm an idiot. I fully realize I f***** up. Things started so slowly, week by week, then month by month...I can't even believe I got here. Just want to cry or hide under a rock.

So I met this girl on one of those sugardating sites (again: I'm dumb). She did not seem like a hooker, and seemed genuinely nice and in need, so I helped her out with rent and few gifts. In exchange, we had a few dinners over few weeks, and I felt (and she made it appear) that this was a real relationship, with a potential real future. We had a lot of things in common like family culture, upbringing, etc. She was very attractive, but down to earth at the same time. This went on for a few months until she started making excuses to not see me, not following up on promises to meet family/friends. In fact she never gave out too much personal information, always had an excuse why I couldn't come by her place, and she said she worked at a US military office...so conveniently I could never go visit her at the office.

I broke things off, but then after a few months I was going through some family issues in life and reconnected with her. A lot more money was given, including for plastic surgery and more gifts and...it just hurts my brain to think about it. It was almost 1 year at this point and she kept mentioning things like meeting my family, marriage, where we might live together. I really stopped imagining her as "some girl from a site" and more like my future wife. She was very good at being manipulative and making me think I needed to continue taking care of her to keep her around.

We had made plans to move away together across the country, and about 3 weeks before, she just said "no". It's devastated me, and made me realize everything she ever did or said was fake. Also my job and home are lost because I had assumed I'd be leaving.

I'm not a lawyer or a cop or a hacker, but here are some ideas I had:

I could sue her. I figure the amount here is enough that its not going to just get thrown out of court. I'll say "we verbally agreed it was a loan" and ask for it back? The venmo payments dont have a specific description though, and there is no text msg record of me saying this.

I could call the cops, but not sure what the charge would be? I can totally believe she is scamming other people, and now I could believe she's a hooker too. Maybe I could lie and say I did hire her for sex, so she'd get arrested...but then I would too I suppose. And unlikely I would get any money back.

Anyways that is my sad story. I'll be happy if I can squeeze this part of my life out of my brain forever...but I'm very afraid I wont be able to.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/61wl50/nyc_lost_50k_and_sanity_to_a_girl/

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I felt a bit sorry for him until he started trying to think of ways to lie in court to get the money back. They also never had sex, wow.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS

Inept posted:

I felt a bit sorry for him until he started trying to think of ways to lie in court to get the money back. They also never had sex, wow.

Ya, at that point he sounds more like a bitter poker player complaining about a bad beat trying to reimburse.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I felt sorry for him until he said he met someone on a sugardating site.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Internet: I met a girl on a Sugardaddy website who was only interested in money.

Unrelated Question: What is a Sugardaddy?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Residency Evil posted:

Almost none. XKCD has a fantastic chart for this: https://xkcd.com/radiation/ . If you look, the yearly limit is 50 mSv. We wear radiation badges to measure our exposure and I don't think mine's ever gone above "normal" background radiation. If any of us came close to the yearly limit our radiation people would be losing their poo poo. When one of my co-workers was pregnant she requested an extra sensitive detector just in case and just gave up on it after a few months since it never showed anything. The machines we use to deliver radiation to patients are behind literally feet of concrete/shielding, and we're nowhere close to them while the treatments are actually getting delivered.

Thank you. I learned something neato today.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Internet: I met a girl on a Sugardaddy website who was only interested in money.

Thank you, I learned something horrifying today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'd need $50k to put up with a nasty sad sack like him. Next stop: Red pill sites.

• Locked thread