Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

There are a few map segments you'll never get directed to following the main quest, and most of the easily located side quests don't send you to some as well. I didn't touch Hebra Mountain or Farron Jungle on my first run because the game never pointed my in those directions and my random wandering took me elsewhere.

I went straight for Hebra mountain when I saw it because I saw snowy slopes and thought "Shield Surfing". Also I went down to Faron because I expected the Master Sword to be there.

And yet, there were so many weird and cool places I missed in my travels. When I finally found (sidequest chain spoilers) Tarrey Town, and the words popped up on screen, I was like, "I missed a whole town?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

There are a few map segments you'll never get directed to following the main quest, and most of the easily located side quests don't send you to some as well. I didn't touch Hebra Mountain or Farron Jungle on my first run because the game never pointed my in those directions and my random wandering took me elsewhere.

I'm actually curious though; is there any quests whatsoever involving the Gerudo Highlands other than that one goon outside Gerudo Town? It seems like the region that has the least going on.

There's a dude at a stable looking at that giant door with lightning painted on it. You probably saw it before you got to the NPC, though. I don't think it's an actual quest? That area is pretty useless except maybe if you want to kill the lynel. The idea that the entire gerudo region has both snowy mountains and desert plains is cool but both areas ended up boring, they probably could have done it better.

And yeah I didn't explore the jungle area except the power shrine until way later, and never even knew Laurelin Village existed until way after I beat the game.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh right, I forgot I nope'd out of the southeast area as soon as I got the tower. That jungle was utter hell and I didn't want no more.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm actually curious though; is there any quests whatsoever involving the Gerudo Highlands other than that one goon outside Gerudo Town? It seems like the region that has the least going on.

There's a shrine quest, and Farosh(?) passes through a canyon there

Incidentally, that's also my favorite region, because it was remote as hell and trying to find that statue led to one of my most memorable adventures.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Why are there so many loving korok seeds in the castle? I bet they're all inside/underground too.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Speaking of the castle, I did my big tour of it finally, and found a lot of stuff (and the big prize), but how much is there? How many recipes are there? Are the Royal Guard Gear worth stockpiling via repeated raids?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Speaking of the castle, I did my big tour of it finally, and found a lot of stuff (and the big prize), but how much is there? How many recipes are there? Are the Royal Guard Gear worth stockpiling via repeated raids?

It's never really worth raiding multiple times since it'll break anyway, and you have to wait for the blood moon. Now that you have that prize, the easiest strong weapons to come by, in my experience, were high level Lynel stuff. Hunt a few of them down and you're set.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Or just pickpocket some Hinoxes

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Hinoxes don't give you x5 bows as rare drops, though.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
tbh i don't like the divine beast sections very much. i liked the dungeons in a lbtw, but as someone who never really played a 3d zelda, the dungeon thing isn't really for me, i prefer just roaming around

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Raserys posted:

tbh i don't like the divine beast sections very much. i liked the dungeons in a lbtw, but as someone who never really played a 3d zelda, the dungeon thing isn't really for me, i prefer just roaming around
Hey, lucky you, person who never really played the 3D Zeldas... the divine beasts are the smallest and shortest dungeons in the whole series!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BlackFrost posted:

Is it normal for it to just be endlessly storming on Evertide Island? I swear it wasn't like this the first time I dicked around here. Am I just insanely unlucky? It looks like it's nothing but thunderstorms on the forecast.
It's not totally bad luck. There are a few prearranged spots on the island where boko camps have metal objects nearby and will get owned by lightning if you hang around.

But my visit only had one stormy day so it doesn't seem preset.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
@ Thunderblight Ganon, I actually agree that he's the hardest of the bosses but that's also coming from the perspective of a Low Health + No defense boost run. But I found him incredibly fun, for the most part, since he's a combat boss and combat in this game is decently fun for once.

Internet Kraken posted:

There was some quest from someone, I think the rito at the bizaar, who wants you to give him specifically a bug that's resistant to heat for an elixir. And while there are probably other bugs you can get from the other mountains, he tells you about the Highlands which are right next door. So it's kinda a quest that's telling you to go into that area.

Technically, the ending of the Yiga Hideout leads out right into the snow of the Highlands so that could introduce the player, but that's assuming the player didn't just warp right out of the hideout after getting the helmet.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
A couple of the other quests lead there from the gerudo town.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raserys posted:

Then this is definitely the Zelda for you :D It has pretty weak dungeons overall (even though the concept is cool) but the roaming around is the best it's ever been and easily the main point of the game.

I like Zelda dungeons a lot and I like the idea of the Divine Beasts as dungeons, but in execution, only one of them was really any good. The idea of moving entire parts of the dungeon to solve puzzles is cool as hell. I'd like to see that come back for a future 3D Zelda dungeon, but only for one of the dungeons. Others could be more straightforward puzzlers--just string some shrines together into a themed collection with an interesting layout and you'd have a pretty solid dungeon--or just full-on dungeon crawls full of tough enemies like Hyrule Castle. I like variety.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cleared Calamity Gannon yesterday. Seems to me the game just kind of gives up and becomes a 3rd person shooter at that point, because I just lobbed bomb arrows out of the 3x Rito bow at him until he died, and still had about 20 left over.

Oddly enough, I ended up at most places you guys were talking about on the last page simply by going "huh, there seems to be something over there on the map" *beelines for it, mountains and terrain be dammed*. Like those three labyrinths that give you the barbarian armor, or that shrine on the desert edge with the giant statues.

Oh and thunderblight is terrifying if you go up against it with an arsenal of two-handed weapons. It was the only dungeon that made me leave it and go farm major tests of strength that I hadn't bothered doing until then.

Overall thoughts:
Fun gameplay. The Zelda formula definitely improves by going open world. Could use a bit more freedom, but for the most part, drat, the mechanics are smooth.
Best game ever? Meh. I could steal from shopkeepers in Link's Awakening, and WindWaker is seriously more charming. I kind of feel that the powers you were given were seriously underused too. Still, a very solid game, one I might even go back to to muck around in a year or two down the line.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 28, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

OWLS! posted:

Overall thoughts:
Fun gameplay. The Zelda formula definitely improves by going open world. Could use a bit more freedom, but for the most part, drat, the mechanics are smooth.
Best game ever? Meh. I could steal from shopkeepers in Link's Awakening, and WindWaker is seriously more charming. I kind of feel that the powers you were given were seriously underused too. Still, a very solid game, one I might even go back to to muck around in a year or two down the line.

Agreed on Wind Waker. I'm replaying Wind Waker HD now and it's just the most charming and welcoming game world ever.

I think Breath of the Wild is the right direction for Zelda to go on: focus on player freedom and puzzles that you solve through physics or just improvising, plus more challenging and varied combat and more fun traversal around the world. I hope the next one has better dungeons and better combat balance, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My shrine detector is going crazy towards the northwest corner of the world if I jump off the map and face back towards it. I know there must be an underground shrine somewhere but I've scoured the area and haven't found an entrance.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

parallelodad posted:

My shrine detector is going crazy towards the northwest corner of the world if I jump off the map and face back towards it. I know there must be an underground shrine somewhere but I've scoured the area and haven't found an entrance.

It's not back there, the entrance is from the other side of the mountains where there's a door that leads underground.

I spent entirely too much time trying to see where the entrance of that shrine was from the wrong side.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is there a quest involving this lady hucking hydromelon rinds into the canals?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is there a quest involving this lady hucking hydromelon rinds into the canals?

follow where the rinds go

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Maybe AGDQ can invert the speedrun paradigm for this game, instead issuing a challenge like "most shrines completed in 3 hours", because I can't imagine a 100% run ever being short enough to squeeze into AGDQ.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Phantasium posted:

It's not back there, the entrance is from the other side of the mountains where there's a door that leads underground.

I spent entirely too much time trying to see where the entrance of that shrine was from the wrong side.

Me too, mostly because I "discovered" the region the shrine was in while climbing on the cliff face outside. Multiple hours were spent scouring the cliffside, pouring over the map, quietly muttering "where the gently caress is the Hebra Great Skeleton? Because I don't see any loving Great Skeletons!" This was before I discovered any of the other Great Skeletons too, so for the longest time I thought the region name was referring to the Stalnox.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Argue posted:

Maybe AGDQ can invert the speedrun paradigm for this game, instead issuing a challenge like "most shrines completed in 3 hours", because I can't imagine a 100% run ever being short enough to squeeze into AGDQ.

I could see AGDQ having an any% category pretty easily, that would be entertaining, but yeah I'd love to watch a shrine race. No end point in mind, just a time limit and four people competing to see who can get the most shrines done. It's too bad it can't be submitted for the upcoming SGDQ, because doing it that early might even have people taking different routes because an optimal one might not be decided on yet by that point.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I think I'm good with All Dungeons or All Main Quests as the middle ground between Any% and 100%, timewise. I think All Shrines would just be repetitive to watch after a while (it'd be fun to route out, though).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How about "True Ending%" as a category? All dungeons, all memories.

Shrines should be a thing for races, though. I like Argue's idea for that: just set a time limit and see how many shrines each runner can do in that time. Shrine quests would be right out because of how much time some of them take, meaning that it's not going to be easy to run up the score just on "Monk's Blessing" shrines, and combat trial shrines probably take longer than puzzle shrines when you factor in all the awesome skips people are coming up with. A two- or three-hour limit could lead to a pretty great shrine race, I think.

Though I think it'd be even better if it turned out that there were multiple routes to take and nobody could agree on an optimal one. Then it becomes a challenge of knowledge and execution and I think that'd be awesome to watch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think all Shrines is probably faster to do than people would think when you know exactly where they all are, exploits to skip the puzzles, and where the best drops are in the path you set up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

An actual all shrines run would require some way to force a blood moon quickly for the Under a Red Moon shrine quest. Or just a way to glitch into that shrine somehow. I know a lot of runs have RNG components but that particular shrine is far enough away from your starting point and would vary wildly enough that without some way to consistently trigger a blood moon on demand, it'd just kill far too many runs too far in.

If that's possible, though, then I could see an all shrines run existing. I don't think it's something I'd watch live or necessarily even watch all the way through, but, like, there are like 6+ hour runs of JRPGs out there, so it's not like long runs don't exist.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harrow posted:

An actual all shrines run would require some way to force a blood moon quickly for the Under a Red Moon shrine quest. Or just a way to glitch into that shrine somehow. I know a lot of runs have RNG components but that particular shrine is far enough away from your starting point and would vary wildly enough that without some way to consistently trigger a blood moon on demand, it'd just kill far too many runs too far in.

If that's possible, though, then I could see an all shrines run existing. I don't think it's something I'd watch live or necessarily even watch all the way through, but, like, there are like 6+ hour runs of JRPGs out there, so it's not like long runs don't exist.

It's probably not as random as you think and can probably be pathed.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Me: "That game I just beat was the greatest game of all time, I loved exploring everything"

The internet: "you've seen nothing cool, here is a list of cool poo poo you missed."

Screw you guys.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Harrow posted:

How about "True Ending%" as a category? All dungeons, all memories.

That is a part of All Main Quests, since Captured Memories is a main quest. That's one of the big differences between it an All Dungeons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ventana posted:

That is a part of All Main Quests, since Captured Memories is a main quest. That's one of the big differences between it an All Dungeons.

I suppose All Main Quests and True Ending aren't all that different. Are people routing All Main Quests now?

parallelodad posted:

It's probably not as random as you think and can probably be pathed.

You're almost certainly right, I'm just curious how to do it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Twilight Princess HD update:

Good god this game has a slow start. To wit, here are the things you have to do before the game really starts to move:

1: Opening in the village: tutorials, dialogue, goat herding
2: First kid is kidnapped, go get him back
3: Turn into wolf link. Long boring section in Hyrule Castle
4: Get back to the real world, go find tears of light
5: FINALLY become human Link again, do Forest Temple (which is pretty fun but still a tutorial dungeon)
6: Beat Forest Temple, head over to Kakariko and do more tears of light
7: Try to get up to death mountain, fail, go back to the starting village to learn how to beat gorons
8: Head back to kakariko, at which point you get to do the badass chase and Eldin Bridge fight (this is when I think the game really kicks off)

That's like, 3-4 hours of introductory stuff before you really get to have the Zelda experience. Not a good first impression. That said, I am really looking forward to moving on with it because I recall the Goron dungeon being quite good. Kakariko village on also does a better job to demonstrate the improvement in graphical quality in the HD version.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
All main quests would include master sword, right? Routing which 40 shrines to do seems like it'd be extremely tough logistically.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm worried that BOTW has spoiled me for all past zeldas save maybe the og NES version and LTTP.

After this I just won't have the patience for a 3 hour tutorial.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Link's Awakening still owns.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm worried that BOTW has spoiled me for all past zeldas save maybe the og NES version and LTTP.

After this I just won't have the patience for a 3 hour tutorial.

I knew I screwed up by buying Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword a week into playing this.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The chest where the Switch shirt is supposed to be isn't there on the plateau. Any ideas? I purchased and activated the DLC.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sade posted:

All main quests would include master sword, right? Routing which 40 shrines to do seems like it'd be extremely tough logistically.

I think so, yeah, so that'd be a real challenge. That's especially a challenge because it involves routing 40 shrines and probably putting all of your upgrades into hearts instead of stamina, limiting your ability to sprint and climb without pausing to eat food regularly.

Though I'd actually be interested in which of these two options is faster:
  • Putting all your upgrades into stamina until it's time to get the Master Sword, respeccing to hearts, pulling the sword, then respeccing back.
  • Putting all your upgrades into hearts, getting the Master Sword, then respeccing to stamina for easier climbing and sprinting.
  • Putting all your upgrades into hearts and never respeccing to stamina.
Respeccing isn't a fast process, but I imagine having a ton of stamina upgrades would save lots of time because you can sprint and climb for much longer periods of time without pausing to eat (and stopping to cook the stamina food that you'd need to eat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The Great Plateau still serves the same general purpose as a Zelda tutorial, I wonder if people will start growing less fond of the beginning over time especially after repeated playthroughs