Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i'm the giant suppressor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VKS_sniper_rifle

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm ashamed that I knew nothing about that gun until the picture and your link.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Subsonic 12.7 mm round :stare:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

i have his book and it owns

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
While a bit goofy looking, that VKS sounds like it'd own bones.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

not caring here posted:

While a bit goofy looking, that VKS sounds like it'd own bones.

Russian guns are always cool, either on purpose or by hilarious accident

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
A subsonic .50 round? Jesus :stare:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Bullet weight is ~1/3 bigger than a similarly purposed Browning .50 round from what I can tell.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap90sNUX-_c

The Hama offensive is really delivering on the ATGM video front.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Duzzy Funlop posted:

A subsonic .50 round? Jesus :stare:

It's no joke. Russian .50's have bigger rounds than BMG too iirc.

The one in the middle is solid bronze for reasons I don't understand.

The rifle is 5 kg empty, less cope and silencer; 6.5 kg with scope and silencer,

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Mr. Showtime posted:

Dude sounds like he's rattling off a list of shoutouts after the explosion

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I went to Arlington on my D.C. vacation this past week and they just happened to be doing a wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb, literally 5 minutes after I randomly walked up:

The person in front of the SSG to the right of the general officer is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_D._Swenson

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Russian guns are always cool, either on purpose or by hilarious accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irj1rD6g1hY

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What's the power like on a VSS or AS Val anyway? Wikipedia gives 9x39mm a bullet weight of 259 grains and a muzzle energy of 658.5 joules, which is basically a .45 ACP +P round. Does it maintain that over longer distances?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That much weight you'd think it'd be good out to 300 metres odd pretty easy

But that slow a speed you'd think much further I'm gonna guess that it's lopey as gently caress and you'd be dialing in some serious drop.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But why use solid bronze then? Wouldn't the heavy weight be a detriment?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Frosted Flake posted:

But why use solid bronze then? Wouldn't the heavy weight be a detriment?

Penetration is the primary goal of bronze ammo, and a giant hunk of it traveling just shy of the sound barrier would penetrate pretty well as far as relatively slow moving projectiles go

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The weight (mass) is only a detriment initially...it'll have a slower speed out of the barrel. But it won't drop any faster, and the weight (mass) helps it resist crosswinds (how much, I have no idea, but inertia's inertia).

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Mr. Showtime posted:

:stare: Well that one certainly went "better"/chunkier.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

not caring here posted:

That much weight you'd think it'd be good out to 300 metres odd pretty easy

But that slow a speed you'd think much further I'm gonna guess that it's lopey as gently caress and you'd be dialing in some serious drop.
Here's a table for 300 AAC Blackout, which fires a 220 grain .308 caliber bullet at 1050fps. The drop at 300yds is hilarious, but the high ballistic coefficient means that it will retain most of its energy.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

evil_bunnY posted:

These are all awesome

Smiling Jack posted:

i have his book and it owns

Bill Mauldin ended up in the Quartermaster Corps in the 45th Infantry Division, before they went overseas. However, he felt he was losing his "edge", cartoon-wise, and voluntarily transferred back to the infantry. :black101: (Well, :black101: for a cartoonist, anyway.)

He put out a number of books, with Up Front being his most well-known, which contains a shitload of cartoons and stories from WWII. There's a couple about his earlier life (The Brass Ring covers more of his prewar Army stuff), and he even went to Korea as a correspondent and got a book out of it.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Frosted Flake posted:

The one in the middle is solid bronze for reasons I don't understand.

Solid bronze bullets are used for accuracy, it's bronze so it doesn't have to be jacketed and it's made in a precision lathe instead of being cast so it's much more balanced and consistent than a cast lead bullet with an extruded jacket.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

What's the power like on a VSS or AS Val anyway? Wikipedia gives 9x39mm a bullet weight of 259 grains and a muzzle energy of 658.5 joules, which is basically a .45 ACP +P round. Does it maintain that over longer distances?

it always seemed more like an urban assassin rifle. It comes with a briefcase to carry it in even. I think its for killing putin's domestic enemies more than foreign ones.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mr. Showtime posted:

https://youtu.be/YdQkwp18nng

This stuff would be funny if it didn't involve so many people dying

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I thought T-90s would be able to detect lasing (I don't think that's the right term but I'm using it)? Or are these the crap export models being used by SAA? I think the running away might point towards SAA but I dunno, I can't read squigglly letters

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I thought T-90s would be able to detect lasing (I don't think that's the right term but I'm using it)? Or are these the crap export models being used by SAA? I think the running away might point towards SAA but I dunno, I can't read squigglly letters

They can, but the Syrians have a bad record for not using the electronic systems like Shtora, the soft kill APS. I would venture to guess rather than being a Monkey Model like back in the day, the Syrians may just not be making the most of modern systems on the T90.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also I thought the one of the points of the optical guidance ATGMs was that you didn't have to keep a laser on the target. Unless I'm just completely remembering it wrong.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

Also I thought the one of the points of the optical guidance ATGMs was that you didn't have to keep a laser on the target. Unless I'm just completely remembering it wrong.

I think Shtora confuses the signal to the missile, causing it to veer off course.

The Syrians cooked up their own APSand apparently it's the reason we're seeing so much footage of ATGMs, even TOWs being used against buildings and soft targets.

Some smarter than me could probably explain it better but it seems really interesting. If the Syrians are making composite armour, thermal sights and APS, I would imagine that they are having significant Russian help. It's wild to see them going from using literal bricks to replace lost ERA and chicken wire as cage armour to the systems they've had in the field since about 2016.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Hot Karl Marx posted:

There are basically no man portable ATGM that uses laser based guidance, it's mostly SACLOS systems that optically track a flare at the base of the missile and sends commands to line that flare up with the crosshairs the user is aiming with. Shtora works by by simply being a fake flare, so the guidance system just tries to move the fake one on the tank and ends up sending the missile in the sky or straight in the dirt.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

There is footage out there of a T-90 with clearly open shotra shutters being hit with a TOW in Syria. No idea if the system was really active/being properly used.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Has anyone ever seen a video from Syria of someone taking a followup shot? Like in that first video there's still a bunch of cars and people around, in that second one there's still a second, intact tank showing their rear to the shooter. Is it them only having one missile or do they have to move the launcher after taking each shot to avoid counterfire and the camera is somewhere else so it can stick around?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

TOWs don't have to use lasers at all. You can use tracking gates to size and range the target, then fly it in by sight and feel. Other ATGM systems work the same way, which means that those countermeasures that rely on guidance systems/lasers don't work.

(Not OPSEC)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mad Dragon posted:

Here's a table for 300 AAC Blackout, which fires a 220 grain .308 caliber bullet at 1050fps. The drop at 300yds is hilarious, but the high ballistic coefficient means that it will retain most of its energy.

Well that's pretty cool. Hope there's plenty of scope adjustment seeing as how wikipedia says 400 metres.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

not caring here posted:

Well that's pretty cool. Hope there's plenty of scope adjustment seeing as how wikipedia says 400 metres.

Massive holdovers and/or BDC reticles. There are also mounts that tilt the scope forward to give it more vertical adjustment, but those are more for 1000yd+ precision rifles than subsonic catapults.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

Massive holdovers and/or BDC reticles. There are also mounts that tilt the scope forward to give it more vertical adjustment, but those are more for 1000yd+ precision rifles than subsonic catapults.

appropriate part timestamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqpHU0oLG2Y&t=206s

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

glynnenstein posted:

There is footage out there of a T-90 with clearly open shotra shutters being hit with a TOW in Syria. No idea if the system was really active/being properly used.

AFAIK the issue is that the flares on decent missiles tend to be encoded by strobe pattern/IR wavelength as a countermeasure for Shtora-like systems. So you kinda need to have a decent idea of what is being fired at you for it to work, and in Syria you really don't. It probably works best versus old Soviet missiles really, i'm not sure the system is worth the gaps in ERA coverage it causes.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Kafouille posted:

AFAIK the issue is that the flares on decent missiles tend to be encoded by strobe pattern/IR wavelength as a countermeasure for Shtora-like systems. So you kinda need to have a decent idea of what is being fired at you for it to work, and in Syria you really don't. It probably works best versus old Soviet missiles really, i'm not sure the system is worth the gaps in ERA coverage it causes.

Sounds like they're on the case.

quote:

To start a more specific and valid solution, the first step was to familiarize the SSRC with what tanks were encountering on the frontlines; such as the BGM-71 TOW. The first time it was encountered was was during the 1973 war against Israel and then in Lebanon during the 1982 war and finally the Iranian supplied variant of the Missile "Toophan" system which is used by the SAA to a limited extent. However, the SSRC had to have number of samples of the BGM-71 TOW which were already being used by the militants in Syria.

The first BGM-71 TOW captured by the SAA was in 2014 in which a joint operation with Hezbollah led to the capture of which included three missiles and one launcher. While the Syrian Intelligence Agencies were able to provide number of different variants of the missile using many methods; the simplest method was to buy the missiles from militants directly using the Syrian Military intelligence who were able to buy 18 missiles and three launchers from one FSA formation in Southern Syria. A SyAAF (Syrian Arab Air Force) intelligence asset among the terrorist group Ahrar Al Sham was able to steal two missiles and two launchers in Idlib from Squr Al Ghab group. SyAAF Intelligence happened to be a commander of a group in Southern Syria – FSA Tribal forces – the commander provided another two missiles and one launcher. All of this happened around the same time period when the Russian Air Forces were deployed in Syria in late 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mr. Showtime posted:

I appreciate their prayers to the machine spirit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Pretty sure there is roughly 400 actual pictures of this that were set up/posed.