Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

So like (puts music nerd hat on) the standard in music is 8 measure phrases, that's the classic way music is sectioned that feels familiar to our ears and that's how all the Beauty and the Beast originals (and all the rest of Menken's work) (and just about any piece of music that is popularly enjoyed nowadays) works.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't have 10 or 13 or 2 or 6 measure phrases, in fact careful use of nonstandard phrase length is a great way to put a little more excitement into a piece or to emphasize a climax (10 measure phrases being especially common in slow/romantic/emotional pieces to especially dwell on a certain line or word), but if you overuse it it just becomes noticeable and kind of tasteless. I'm certain there's an analogue in animation/moviemaking in general that I'm just not familiar enough with to pick out.

The new BatB songs are extra bizarre because they don't just stretch out the phrasing but ADD 2-4 measure phrases all over the place. When used correctly, again, it makes for a cool effect, getting you to reflect on the lyrics you just heard or consider the weight of the music or the scene. Take the scene in the original where Beast fights the wolves; I haven't listened to it in a while but I'm pretty sure there's a few 2 measure phrases dropped in that background music, especially when Beast is getting winded and injured. But in a piece like Be My Guest where uh being reflective or serious is kind of the opposite of the point, it's super dumb.

PS phrases in Western music are almost always in multiples of 2 measures; it makes for a cool rushing or slowing effect to do an odd number of phrases, especially if the rest of the piece is standard 8 measures. It's super jarring though. I think it happened a bit in Dr Horrible as an example.

Sorry, just wanted to nerd out for a sec. :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Pick, I miss your cat avatar.

Does mine make up for it?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Does mine make up for it?

Yours just gives me nightmares after hanging out in Games.

edit: sorry Hed, not nightmares. A sense of strange wonder that such a thing could truly be. :allears:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 27, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
But everyone likes my posts there right? :kiddo:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So here's a surprisingly good direct-to-video animated feature: Batman: Gotham Knights

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

K. Waste posted:

So here's a surprisingly good direct-to-video animated feature: Batman: Gotham Knights

Agreed. We need more animated anthology films in general. When they were on Netflix, I was a pretty big fan of the Genius Party series.

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 27, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

PenguinKnight posted:

Agreed. We need more animated anthology films in general. When they were on Netflix, I was a pretty big fan of the Genius Party series.

I like how even though Studio 4°C and Madhouse produced two separate segments each, the style is completely different. The characters are never illustrated the same way twice, even Batman and his entire suit completely changes, and the first vignette/quasi-frame narrative is even in itself split into sub-stories. It's really a rather deftly crafted project even if it still bares that uncanny dysphoria between the voice-casting and dialog direction and 'out-sourced' animation, but here it feels kind of appropriate.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I loved, loved, loved the animation in Have I Got a Story for You. 4°C does this gloriously fluid motion of repulsive character designs and it just comes together in such a marvelous, unique fashion. I adore straight-ahead morphology in 2D work and that poo poo pooouuurs across the screen.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why does the cartoon princess in Pick's avatar have a gaping head wound?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Why does the cartoon princess in Pick's avatar have a gaping head wound?

If you have magical hair you have to deal with poachers (see also: rhinoceroses)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Which segment was the one where Bruce was an incredibly pretty boy? Because that's my most vivid memory of Gotham Knights.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Das Boo posted:

I loved, loved, loved the animation in Have I Got a Story for You. 4°C does this gloriously fluid motion of repulsive character designs and it just comes together in such a marvelous, unique fashion. I adore straight-ahead morphology in 2D work and that poo poo pooouuurs across the screen.

It really elevates the grating tone of the writing and performances in that scene - and it's pretty much the perfect set-up. An anthology within an anthology, all about the act of perceiving Batman, before spiraling away from infantile imaginings to the complete clusterfuck that Bruce Wayne's life and Gotham is at its core.

Waffleman_ posted:

Which segment was the one where Bruce was an incredibly pretty boy? Because that's my most vivid memory of Gotham Knights.

That's "Field Test," and in context Bruce being a pretty boy is part of the unstated conceit of the film that, like "Have I Got a Story for You," it actually begins telling the same story, but from multiple perspectives, in reverse chronological order, before we 'snap back' to the present.

In the segment between them, "Crossfire" shows two MCU cops debating over whether they should be aiding and abetting Batman or not, who end up caught in the crossfire between an Italian and a Russian mob. Batman jumps in and saves the day. "Field Test" clarifies that the "Crossfire" of the title is actually Bruce's fault - in "Field Test," a very similar scenario results from his botched mission to force the Italians and Russians to a truce.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hawkgirl posted:

Sorry, just wanted to nerd out for a sec. :o:

Never apologize for saying interesting things. It's not like you're constantly craving attention and/or validation for your furry fetish or something.

As someone who can't equate what you're saying to sound, what songs have those extra measures for emphasis?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

GrandpaPants posted:

It's not like you're constantly craving attention and/or validation for your furry fetish or something.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
http://i1067.com/blogs/sabrina-says/19345/disney-is-planning-19-live-action-remakes/

I want to die

Wait, no

I want Disney to die

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A live-action version of the Tinkerbell spinoff?? I really like that movie but what the gently caress?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I'm pretty convinced this is a personal attack on me at this point

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

I'm pretty convinced this is a personal attack on me at this point

:same:

Literally the only one of these I've enjoyed was Cinderella.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

T-minus until we get live action Shrek?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Why does there need to be a movie about Chernabog? He's a force not a villain

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
But don't you want to know about his tragic backstory

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pigbuster posted:

But don't you want to know about his tragic backstory

His mother was one of the hippos from the earlier scene, it's important that everything is tied together extremely tightly. Also the stegosaurus was his mailman.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

It's getting awfully close to April Fool's. :ohdear:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yup, this Saturday. Not really sure what to expect, tbh...

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
From what I understand, it looks like the video's editors just lumped together every single proposal or project that's been rumored out of Disney for the past five years, and more than a few are firmly in "rumor" territory.

Based on memory of these as they came out, Genies isn't happening now that Robin Williams is dead and the remake is near production, Peter Pan is on ice for a few years after Warner Bros.' "Pan" lost $100m (if they do adapt it, I hope they go for Peter and the Starcatchers), Jungle Book 2 is delayed until after TLK, Maleficent 2 has been hung up in negotiations with Angelina for years, Chernabog is a loving joke of an idea and the Snow White stuff is probably on ice until the mess surrounding The Huntsman dies down.

We'll get Mulan, TLK, Dumbo, Cruella and Aladdin by the end of the decade. Can't say I'm too confident anything else will drop by that point.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 28, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wait is Lion King actually gett..

.. but

.. and what abo ---

I don't ev-- what?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Wait is Lion King actually gett..

.. but

.. and what abo ---

I don't ev-- what?

It's gonna be like Dinosaur where all the locations are filmed but all the animals will be CG so technically it'll be live action

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yup.

It's about as "live-action" as Dinosaur, and yet is gonna be considered a live-action film.

At least they're not rushing to make live-action Zootopia:

https://twitter.com/_rich_moore/status/846133615956144128

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Yup.

It's about as "live-action" as Dinosaur, and yet is gonna be considered a live-action film.

Wait is that really what they're doing I was making a joke jesus christ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So this time, will Scar and Simba make up or what or what weird turn are they going to make to make something as straightforward as TLK a complete thematic gong show?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pick posted:

So this time, will Scar and Simba make up or what or what weird turn are they going to make to make something as straightforward as TLK a complete thematic gong show?

Scar is the protagonist, starts out with good intentions, is corrupted by power, moral of the story is Full Hyena Communism Now.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The live-action Lion King will be completely redeemed if I can get uncanny valley hyenas goose stepping though a canyon set to "Be Prepared".

edit:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Full Hyena Communism Now

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I don't see how the story of The Lion King is better served in live action. The style of animation they used in the original let the characters have essentially human expressions while still reading as "normal" animals. If the characters look more realistic then they will have to be less expressive or look extremely weird :pwn:

Incidentally this is why the story works as a broadway musical - because the characters are essentially humans with animal-themed behavioral and visual motifs, which is basically what any literature featuring animals who talk and act like humans is really doing.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 28, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CRINDY posted:

From what I understand, it looks like the video's editors just lumped together every single proposal or project that's been rumored out of Disney for the past five years, and more than a few are firmly in "rumor" territory.

Based on memory of these as they came out, Genies isn't happening now that Robin Williams is dead and the remake is near production, Peter Pan is on ice for a few years after Warner Bros.' "Pan" lost $100m (if they do adapt it, I hope they go for Peter and the Starcatchers), Jungle Book 2 is delayed until after TLK, Maleficent 2 has been hung up in negotiations with Angelina for years, Chernabog is a loving joke of an idea and the Snow White stuff is probably on ice until the mess surrounding The Huntsman dies down.

We'll get Mulan, TLK, Dumbo, Cruella and Aladdin by the end of the decade. Can't say I'm too confident anything else will drop by that point.

Wait are you talking about that Chris Hemsworth movie a few years ago or is there actually a controversy surrounding the character of the hunter in Snow White.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Xibanya posted:

I don't see how the story of The Lion King is better served in live action.

Spoiler alert: none of these movies are better served in live action and it's all about money.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lots of these movies could be well-served by live action if it were a conscious attempt to exploit the freakishness of talking animals and poke fun at the insidious "naturalism" of Disney's world, but that movie probably isn't going to come from Disney.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or in other words, I'm looking forward to the Who Framed Roger Rabbit of the 21st century.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or in other words, I'm looking forward to the Who Framed Roger Rabbit of the 21st century.

Uh they already had this it was called Space Jam and it was basically perfect

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Some stories would have greater emotional gravitas in live action. But I struggle to think of one of the slated remakes where that would be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Space Jam was the 20th century tho