Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Has sanchez thrown a good outing yet this spring? Another stinker laat night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I hope Aaron Nola stays healthy and Vince Velasquez learns how to pitch deep in games.

Also for Maikel Franco to hit 40 homers.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

mentholmoose posted:

I hope Aaron Nola stays healthy and Vince Velasquez learns how to pitch deep in games.

Also for Maikel Franco to hit 40 homers.

And Tommy Joseph right

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

I would like the Orioles to keep breaking fangraphs.

I really enjoy this. But I feel really bad for teams like the Rays who catch the repercussions of this and end up with 69 wins instead of the 80 or so they deserved.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I would like Gary Sanchez to live up to 75-80% of the hype this season. Was debating asking for some consistent starting pitching from 4/5th of the rotation, but that's probably too much.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

canadianclassic posted:

I too would like KP to win a gold glove but the other kevin is like really loving good at defense

The AL East is stacked with defensive wizard center fielders.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tadashi posted:

I really enjoy this. But I feel really bad for teams like the Rays who catch the repercussions of this and end up with 69 wins instead of the 80 or so they deserved.

any undeserved loss against the orioles is made up for by an undeserved win against the jays LY :mad:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Walrus posted:

Has sanchez thrown a good outing yet this spring? Another stinker laat night

ITS TOTALLY FINE GUYS IT WAS A BLISTER

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jose Canseco got hired as a sports analyst for NBC Sports California. Good... or bad?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Jose Canseco got hired as a sports analyst for NBC Sports California. Good... or bad?

Probably good in a sort of train wreck fashion.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hey does anyone have a good screenshot of that kid making the face when the ball got grabbed from in front of him during the wbc? would make a good photoshop thread imo

edit: I can't find it anywhere, it's not helping I don't remember what game it was. I don't think it was the jones/machado play

edit: the kid in question kind of looks like the infamous messy face rib kid if that helps

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 28, 2017

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

quote:

President Donald J. Trump may throw out the ceremonial first pitch on Opening Day for the Washington Nationals, POLITICO reports.

According to the report, Trump is in talks with the Nationals about throwing the first pitch. Washington's home opener is Monday against the Miami Marlins.

Trump could also join regional broadcasters in the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network booth after the pitch.

:negative:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

he'll throw one worse than 50 cent and then talk about Obama

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Poque posted:

he'll throw one worse than 50 cent and then talk about Obama

Yeah I'm kind of actually looking forward to this, silly Trump things are good Trump things at this point.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

In celebration of 50 years in Oakland and of the Raiders moving away, the A's unveiled a new 80-foot-tall mural they commissioned from the Illuminaries, a trio of local artists that are all really, really good at what they do. They even let fans sign the bottom of the mural.

Pretty drat cool. New ballpark announcement should happen in the next few months, too.

Finally.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

There was so much hype when the Marlins opened their new stadium but I haven't heard a drat thing about, uh, SunTrust Park other than the traffic is bad. Is it a cool looking stadium at least?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Remember that DC and northern Virginia are hilariously, overwhelmingly liberal. Trump got like 4% of the vote in DC. If he actually ends up doing this he's going to get booed into oblivion.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ego symphonic posted:

Remember that DC and northern Virginia are hilariously, overwhelmingly liberal. Trump got like 4% of the vote in DC. If he actually ends up doing this he's going to get booed into oblivion.

He's going to get massively booed and also throw an incredibly terrible pitch, I'm looking forward to it.

Senf posted:

In celebration of 50 years in Oakland and of the Raiders moving away, the A's unveiled a new 80-foot-tall mural they commissioned from the Illuminaries, a trio of local artists that are all really, really good at what they do. They even let fans sign the bottom of the mural.

Pretty drat cool. New ballpark announcement should happen in the next few months, too.

Finally.

That's really cool. I like how the A's have really embraced being the Oakland team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The WH announced he wont do it. Sad!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

If it's.terrible it will be the fault of Democrats.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

He's going to get massively booed and also throw an incredibly terrible pitch, I'm looking forward to it.

That's really cool. I like how the A's have really embraced being the Oakland team.

Susan Slusser mentioned in an interview that a fan suggested the A's build a ballpark on a floating island that they can just move wherever they want it. I cannot wait for Flotilla Park.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

tadashi posted:

Susan Slusser mentioned in an interview that a fan suggested the A's build a ballpark on a floating island that they can just move wherever they want it. I cannot wait for Flotilla Park.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Cubs release Kawasaki :( http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2017/3/28/15090332/cubs-release-munenori-kawasaki

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

To be fair there was about a 0% chance he made the opening day roster barring catastrophic injuries, and it sounds like he asked to move on so he could try to find a club that would let him start in the majors. And if he can't find a club to start with, the Cubs have said they'd happily take him back on a minor league contract for depth. Best of luck, Mune!

Inspector_666 posted:

They're soon to be the only team Oakland will have now that the Raiders are jumping ship to Vegas and the Warriors are relocating to SF as soon as their lease is up.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

tadashi posted:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
check out the soda commercial mune did just recently it's excellent

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

tadashi posted:

If they move the ballpark to a different city every year and also trade away all their players and start each season with a completely different roster, are they even the same team anymore?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Good Dog posted:

If they move the ballpark to a different city every year and also trade away all their players and start each season with a completely different roster, are they even the same team anymore?

And if another baseball team follows behind them and picks up all old pieces of the ballpark and discarded players to build their own identical franchise, which is the real A's?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Senf posted:

Finally.

I wonder what these guys would charge for a smaller mural on the side of my house.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So apparently it's "unlikely" that Julio Urias will break camp with the Dodgers.

At what point are the Dodgers gonna let that kid loose? I realize there are development timetables and all that, but it seems like they're just keeping a front-end starter out of their rotation because they refuse to increase his innings limit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Walrus posted:

check out the soda commercial mune did just recently it's excellent

If you really wanted me to watch you would have linked it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

So apparently it's "unlikely" that Julio Urias will break camp with the Dodgers.

At what point are the Dodgers gonna let that kid loose? I realize there are development timetables and all that, but it seems like they're just keeping a front-end starter out of their rotation because they refuse to increase his innings limit.
This is no surprise. He will spend maybe a month in extended spring and then get called up. They likely want to limit his innings this year to around 160 (but they'll never say that number publicly). They don't want him in the bullpen and they don't want to shut him down mid season and restart, and they want him to be available in October. He may skip a start periodically during the year, but he'll probably make 25 or so starts this year once he's called up.

They hosed up his innings progression because of his cosmetic eye surgery two years ago. In 2014 he threw 87 IP and the following year he only threw 80 because of the surgery. So that limited him to about 120 last year hence they only want him around 160 or so this year.

But on top of all that, the Dodgers have enough healthy starters right now that they need to keep some guys with options down in AAA until the inevitable injuries start piling up anyway. Urias will be up by mid May at the latest.

Dude is still only 20 years old so we shouldn't be expecting 180 IP out of him yet anyway.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Inspector_666 posted:

He's 20 and he already has 350+ innings of MiLB/MLB work on his arm. The Dodgers project to be plenty good without him in the rotation so I don't see why you shouldn't keep him in the minors and let him continue developing and working him up to a steady IP/year without putting too much strain or pressure on him and injuring a potential franchise cornerstone pitcher before he's 22.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

He's 20 and he already has 350+ innings of MiLB/MLB work on his arm. The Dodgers project to be plenty good without him in the rotation so I don't see why you shouldn't keep him in the minors and let him continue developing and working him up to a steady IP/year without putting too much strain or pressure on him and injuring a potential franchise cornerstone pitcher before he's 22.
From a development standpoint, he has nothing left to learn in AAA. He needs to be facing MLB pitching to continue his development, the only issue is his workload, and even that is only an issue because he's so good they want him pitching in October. If the team wasn't competitive, he'd just pitch in MLB until he hits his limit and then be shut down for the year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

They hosed up his innings progression because of his cosmetic eye surgery two years ago. In 2014 he threw 87 IP and the following year he only threw 80 because of the surgery. So that limited him to about 120 last year hence they only want him around 160 or so this year.

Ah, I didn't realize the eye surgery kept his IP so low, that makes more sense.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It's the Dodgers pitching staff.

It's not like all of Ryu, Wood, Hill, McCarthy and Kazmir will stay healthy long enough for him to not be up in May

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

It's not like all of Ryu, Wood, Hill, McCarthy and Kazmir will stay healthy long enough for him to not be up in May

Hell, Kazmir is already dead!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

If you really wanted me to watch you would have linked it.

This one I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUh00GAPhiQ

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Don't sleep on Ryu, dude has thrown the second most innings this spring on the team behind Kershaw, and has a 2.57 ERA and 12/1 K/BB with a sub-1 WHIP to go with it. The Monster is back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

That's not soda! That's Kirin STRONG Lemon Chu-hai, a 5% ABV drink you can buy at every convenience store and happily stagger around the streets of Japan drinking.

• Locked thread