Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is all I've got but this is what I think of when I imagine all the differences between everyone in the Defenders. The scenario is they have to get up somewhere high. Like an apartment building. Not a skyscraper.

DareDevil: Parkour and fire escapes or Luke throws him up there.
Jessica: Awkwardly flying up there.
Luke: Not sure if he's got real good jumps too so he either jumps or he starts punching hand holds in the wall.
Iron Fist: Double jumping and punching really really hard.

I like brainstorming how you wish the show had gone with you guys. It's fun. Especially with this guy who I'm pretty much entirely unfamiliar with. I mean, there're mutants I know less than him but still you get what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just remembered my other favorite part of the show. When Harold gets like all these different exotic and varied ice flavors as a genuinely nice gesture for his assistant guy, and the little rear end in a top hat is like "where's the vanilla. I only want vanilla." That part really made me laugh. I would beat him to death with an ice cream scoop too.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Every appearance of Juggernaut I've ever seen just has him running into things so that's news to me.

In fact, his power is related to Doctor's Strange's famous "Crimson Bands of Cytorrak" as Juggernaut was affected by the Crimson Gem of Cytorrak.

In more news, I am also apparently a giant dork for knowing all this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

I just remembered my other favorite part of the show. When Harold gets like all these different exotic and varied ice flavors as a genuinely nice gesture for his assistant guy, and the little rear end in a top hat is like "where's the vanilla. I only want vanilla." That part really made me laugh. I would beat him to death with an ice cream scoop too.

Harold torturing his assistant is how you know Harold is irredeemable evil right off the bat. They could have left the possibility of him not being evil up in the air, but no...

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Come to think of it, where was Danny's costume? Even Jessica Jones and Luke Cage gave nods to their classic early costumes, albeit in a tongue in cheek way, but I never saw Danny prancing around in green and yellow spandex. There's just no fun to be had in this series at all, the most half-added effort I've seen in a long while.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can see Danny's costume in the first episode of Daredevil.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

RareAcumen posted:

Never heard of him.

Her, actually. Illyana (Magik) is Colossus's little sister whose mutant power is to open portals to and from the demon dimension of Limbo. That didn't go so well when they first manifested when she was six. Long story short, she made it back (years later from her perspective, seconds for those who saw her vanish) with a seriously messed up life and massive magical powers.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Thaddius the Large posted:

Come to think of it, where was Danny's costume?

'40s Iron Fist was wearing it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Harold torturing his assistant is how you know Harold is irredeemable evil right off the bat. They could have left the possibility of him not being evil up in the air, but no...

Wesley died four seasons ago. nobody is safe

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Thaddius the Large posted:

Come to think of it, where was Danny's costume? Even Jessica Jones and Luke Cage gave nods to their classic early costumes, albeit in a tongue in cheek way, but I never saw Danny prancing around in green and yellow spandex. There's just no fun to be had in this series at all, the most half-added effort I've seen in a long while.

They could have at least had him wearing gold and yellow ensembles. I think he had one olivish jacket he wore for a scene or two. So it was just that and his inexplicably ragged and dirty green and yellow robes when he was in K'un-Lun.

poo poo man, how about some green/yellow sneakers instead of his dumb white ones when he was wearing his suit.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

poo poo man, how about some [something not dumb] instead of his dumb [character design, writing, fighting].

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

counterfeitsaint posted:

That part was really grisly and unsettling to an almost pan's labyrinth bottle scene degree.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

homullus posted:

He unclenched

I like to think the The Hand was started by a weird zombie Iron Fist that resurrected and decided not to use his fists, but to use his hands.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

mrking posted:

I like to think the The Hand was started by a weird zombie Iron Fist that resurrected and decided not to use his fists, but to use his hands.

Among the show's many failures, it was a missed opportunity for the Iron Fist to give the Hand the finger.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Using all 3 seconds of his powered-up form to give the glowiest middle finger ever.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mental Hospitality posted:

This is fascinating to me. Is there an ASK/TELL ME thread about meditation here on the forum? I would love to read more about it. Or if you could steer me into some related readings, I'd be interested.

It's been a few years since my meditation/neuroscience kick but, if you're interested in a nuts and bolts approach to meditation, Secular Buddhism and the neuroscience of meditation would be good things to look into. Research shows efficacy and provides insight into Buddhism's wonderfully developed practice.

The thread's for religious Buddhism and there's a lot of naked hostility for what I just mentioned and the outlook reflected in my post, so, uh, there's an excellent podcast called Urban Dharma from an American Buddhist monk working out of LA. Many of the episodes are just audio of lectures he'd given, including lectures on meditation specifically. He's really good. There's other resources on their website, too, including a web-version of the book Mindfulness in Plain English.

Lastly, I'd say that regular mindfulness meditation made me about 10% happier/calmer. I definitely recommend it!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Meditation is literally the only thing that can keep me sane.

It's like, building mental discipline and at the same time cutting through your own bullshit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I meditate drunken master style.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wait how the gently caress did the board kick Ward, Joy and Danny out of Rand? They'd collectively have, what, 25% of the company?

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Wait how the gently caress did the board kick Ward, Joy and Danny out of Rand? They'd collectively have, what, 25% of the company?

Danny alone has 51%. Ward and Joy have an unspecified large amount. The board couldn't do anything to them if they realized they could just say no. It's especially blatant bad writing since the board is trying to kick them out for Danny exercising that very same majority share.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What does it say about this show that we didn't even bother renaming the thread for it, unlike every other marvel netflix show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Netflix Marvel: Iron Fisted

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hollismason posted:

Do they even ever say what happened to the previous Iron Fist. Seems like a glaring omission.

I hope that was deliberate because Orson rules.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Astribulus posted:

Danny alone has 51%. Ward and Joy have an unspecified large amount. The board couldn't do anything to them if they realized they could just say no. It's especially blatant bad writing since the board is trying to kick them out for Danny exercising that very same majority share.

And even more confusing is the board even says they're taking everything away from Danny "except for your shares"....but like, if he has 51% of the shares, he could mandate whatever the gently caress he wants.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
They were probably banking on Danny being an idiot and not knowing he can do whatever he wants.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched episode 9.

What the gently caress is up with Claire? "This is a step away from waterboarding!" *20 seconds later*"get me some drugs, I'll pump that old bitch full of poo poo". She is written so incoherently in this show.

Asking for vanilla in that situation is such an insanely douchey thing to do.

who the gently caress is Colleen's Sensei, and why did they wait this long to introduce a character who knows anything about kung fu magic? wasn't the whole show supposed to about kung fu magic?

Is this show seriously going to end with Danny Never punching anybody with his Iron Fist?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pakled posted:

They were probably banking on Danny being an idiot and not knowing he can do whatever he wants.

Despite being angry that he kept doing whatever he wants.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Astribulus posted:

If they would've said that they got a judge to block Danny from making business decisions due to mental incompetence, I would've fine with it as a layman.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lycus posted:

If they would've said that they got a judge to block Danny from making business decisions due to mental incompetence, I would've fine with it as a layman.

Oh man, if ONLY THERE WAS A LAWYER THAT WAS APPEARING IN THIS SHOW. Man, they would've written themselves into a corner if that happened.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Oh man, if ONLY THERE WAS A LAWYER THAT WAS APPEARING IN THIS SHOW. Man, they would've written themselves into a corner if that happened.

She would've lost, because Danny was just in a mental hospital and later made erratic business decisions. He really was mentally incompetent to the non-Netflix-viewing world.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 28, 2017

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004

Lycus posted:

I'd wager that was the plan in some earlier revision of the story. There's an entire episode dedicated to setting it up in the asylum, the reminder with the reporters asking Danny about his involuntary commitment, and then no payoff. It just gets forgotten like so many other things. By the time it he's getting thrown out, Danny has lost interest in Rand.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Astribulus posted:

I'd wager that was the plan in some earlier revision of the story. There's an entire episode dedicated to setting it up in the asylum, the reminder with the reporters asking Danny about his involuntary commitment, and then no payoff. It just gets forgotten like so many other things. By the time it he's getting thrown out, Danny has lost interest in Rand.

I was gonna say, if they did that they couldn't have included Danny's dumb impromptu adventures in China and the plot point might actually have carried some weight.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I still don't understand why he has a no kill rule which has to be totally impractical when trying to fight against the hand.

Matt I can kind of understand because he is super religious but Danny just spouts bizarre Buhdist philosophy and Wing runs around.with a sword.

It's just dumb.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I have no intention of watching what is, from all accounts, a huge pile of garbage but I was curious about the costume too. I mean, he never even got to wear at least a yellow head scarf and a green v-neck body suit? What a strange decision to not at least use that ensemble once. I was wondering why I hadn't seen any promo shots of Iron Fist in his full get up with his fist glowing. I guess they don't exist which is a shame because Iron Fist's costume is kinda cool.

As crappy as DD's suit reveal was in season 1 we at least got to see the loving thing. Luke Cage gave a cursory nod to the yellow silk shirt, the blue jeans and the chain belt. Christ, if Netflix does decide to do Moon Knight the closest we'll get is Marc Spector in a white turtle neck or a bathrobe or something.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

notthegoatseguy posted:

God, this was another thing that irritated the hell out of me. Joy complains about how hard it was to work her way up through the legal department and all, and I'm stuck wonder "you're what, 25 to 30, based on your age when Danny went missing, 15 years ago? So you're either fresh out of law school or have been practicing for less than 5 years, get a job at your family's company, and have 'worked your way up' to the head of the legal department, and you're whining it took people a long time to respect you? There are attorneys practicing for 20 years who'd kill to be in your shoes, nepotism notwithstanding!"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BiggerBoat posted:

I have no intention of watching what is, from all accounts, a huge pile of garbage but I was curious about the costume too. I mean, he never even got to wear at least a yellow head scarf and a green v-neck body suit? What a strange decision to not at least use that ensemble once. I was wondering why I hadn't seen any promo shots of Iron Fist in his full get up with his fist glowing. I guess they don't exist which is a shame because Iron Fist's costume is kinda cool.

As crappy as DD's suit reveal was in season 1 we at least got to see the loving thing. Luke Cage gave a cursory nod to the yellow silk shirt, the blue jeans and the chain belt. Christ, if Netflix does decide to do Moon Knight the closest we'll get is Marc Spector in a white turtle neck or a bathrobe or something.

There's a scene where Danny sees a film reel of a previous Iron Fist from the 40's kicking the asses of some Chinese soldiers. That Iron Fist is wearing something like the classic costume, but we only see it in grainy black and white footage.

This is a behind-the-scenes photo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

I still don't understand why he has a no kill rule which has to be totally impractical when trying to fight against the hand.

Matt I can kind of understand because he is super religious but Danny just spouts bizarre Buhdist philosophy and Wing runs around.with a sword.

It's just dumb.

Neither Coleen nor Danny seemed to give a flying gently caress about the morality of killing until Claire showed up and bounced back and forth from pacifist to Vega cosplay. Coleen is getting a rush from no-holds cage fighting where she is beating men into comas, and Danny's only reason for not killing every Hand member he comes across is that making them give up is a greater victory than killing them. I'm pretty sure he kills the spider lady though.

Coleen only seems to care about not killing people when it involves losing control, stopping herself from killing Bakuto at the last minute and offering to kill Harold because Danny might do so in a state of unrestrained rage instead of thought out decision. Danny doesn't kill the few people he was thinking about killing because he's dumb so they get away and/or he was getting flashback headaches for plot reasons.

Edit: Honestly, given that the Hand is full of magical zombies fighting to kill instead of incapacitate isn't the best decision. Even Davos only kills Bakuto, and that's because Coleen left the poor dude laying on the ground with a gut stab and the end of a katana broken off inside his body. Stabbing the dude was more merciful than leaving him to slowly bleed out or dye from sepsis.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 29, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hollismason posted:

Matt['s no-killing rule] I can kind of understand because he is super religious but Danny just spouts bizarre Buddhist philosophy and Wing runs around.with a sword.

Also, Matt refusing to kill actually matters thematically. The Chaste are explicitly shown to be PRO-killing, and Matt's refusal to do so is the biggest point of conflict he has with them.

Somehow, the flagship warrior of the Heavenly City of K'un Lun, Immortal Weapon and Sworn Enemy of the Hand, is less hardcore about the Hand than some random dudes Stick works with. It's yet another thing that makes no sense.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Xealot posted:

Also, Matt refusing to kill actually matters thematically. The Chaste are explicitly shown to be PRO-killing, and Matt's refusal to do so is the biggest point of conflict he has with them.

i dont like matt's no kill rule either, because the writers kept finding excuses to off characters they wanted to stop being part of the story anyway. the episode he spends with the russian taxi gangster hostage that he refuses to kill despite getting his rear end kicked by him multiple times was great, but then he finally wins the gangster's trust and the guy.... wanders off to die anyway? immediately?

and karen killing kingpin's number two and being completely okay with it after taking a shower and having a bad dream was the low point of the season for me. if they had gone deeper into the irony of daredevil taking a no murders stance but having all of his enemies cleaned up by his friends constantly, it could have been good, but it never got mentioned again in the last few episodes. I haven't bothered to start the second season because of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

and karen killing kingpin's number two and being completely okay with it after taking a shower and having a bad dream was the low point of the season for me.

I thought this was because it's implied that she's killed/shot someone before? The first four episodes of DD season 2 are legit good though.