Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

That, but expand the volcano/ice cave areas where you get the iron boots and strength bracelets into full dungeons, and maybe add in an "inside Jabu-Jabu" dungeon for the green pearl and it'd be perfection.

I actually liked the shock of arriving at the third island only to find it completely destroyed because of how it upended the usual Zelda mystical hoodoo collection stereotypes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

What? I'm pretty sure I've done them the other way around, at least in the GC version. (I may be hallucinating because I like the earth temple a hell of a lot more than the wind temple)

You have not! For some reason there seems to be a collective memory of many people that it's possible but it 100% is not. I suspect it's because it seems like it SHOULD be possible, but arbitrarily Makar simply does not spawn until you've done the Earth temple.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really in general the button layout is pretty silly although serviceable and I'm used to it. But it took me like 7 hours to ease into it and it's hosed me up in other games I'm trying to play with less of oddball control schemes.

It always bugs me when games map a bunch of stuff to buttons that are normally not used for that function and don't offer and option to change it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The only problems I had with the button layout after the first 15-20 minutes or so was just switching weapons/shields/bows/arrows. For some reason it took me forever to get used to holding down a d-pad button and scrolling through a list with the right stick. I'm not sure how it could've been done better, though, because the player does need to have multiple lists of items available for quick switching at any time and putting them all on a ring menu would be a nightmare.

There are things I'd like to change that I outlined on the previous page, but overall I can see why the controls are how they are given the number of non-contextual actions the player needs to be able to perform. The biggest issue I'd love to fix would be to add some sort of item quick-use without having to go into the menu. The rest are just a "this would be pretty nice a guess" thing.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Are you kidding me, coming from Destiny the first 10 hours of play in the game I would instinctively hit the shoulder triggers to try to go between inventory menus before I finally got used to navigating it correctly. But jumping back into Destiny tonight I'll be jumping whenever I go to sprint now, that's for sure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm actually a little surprised at how quickly I got used to jumping with X. I tried swapping jump and sprint at first but sprinting with X was even weirder. Jumping and dodging with it turned out fine, though.

I wonder if I'd feel differently if I was playing on Switch. Having jump/dodge on X was surprisingly comfortable on Wii U because my thumb was always hovering around there anyway, since the right stick is above the X button. It's below on the Switch, though, so I might end up finding it awkward in that case, I don't know.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Harrow posted:

I'm actually a little surprised at how quickly I got used to jumping with X. I tried swapping jump and sprint at first but sprinting with X was even weirder. Jumping and dodging with it turned out fine, though.

I wonder if I'd feel differently if I was playing on Switch. Having jump/dodge on X was surprisingly comfortable on Wii U because my thumb was always hovering around there anyway, since the right stick is above the X button. It's below on the Switch, though, so I might end up finding it awkward in that case, I don't know.

I had to flip flop the jump button because my idiot brain just couldn't grasp the concept of having jump on X. It's been so much better.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

I had to flip flop the jump button because my idiot brain just couldn't grasp the concept of having jump on X. It's been so much better.

Same. Although, it's still ridiculous that you can't put the jump and sprint buttons next to each other, like every other video game ever made.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

Same. Although, it's still ridiculous that you can't get jump and sprint next to each other, like every other video game ever made.

That's why I'd love to move sprint to left stick click and have the option to make it a toggle. Then jump could be on B and crouch on X, or vice-versa I don't care.

I never really needed to sprint-jump in Breath of the Wild but it'd be nice to have the option without it being awkward.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

RCarr posted:

Same. Although, it's still ridiculous that you can't put the jump and sprint buttons next to each other, like every other video game ever made.

I don't get it either, but it is what it is I guess. It didn't take me too long to adapt but my daughter wanted me to beat her Waterblight Ganon last night. She has default controls. I probably would have done better if I spun around a bat 50 times before going after him.

Has anyone tried the Pro Controller? Is it any better? $70 for a loving controller is a little ridiculous though...

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've been playing since the beginning with a pro controller because screw motion controls. Sometimes I have to get up from the couch and get the gamepad because of shrines that use it exclusively but the pro controller is the best thing besides the console and game itself.

The battery life on the thing is ridiculous. Like, mysterious and crazy ridiculous. I took it off the charger since I was woken up and haven't plugged it in since, so almost a month and I've been playing a lot. I have an electrical engineering degree and I'll never stop being dumbfounded by how much charge this holds.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 28, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

yamdankee posted:

I've been playing since the beginning with a pro controller because screw motion controls. Sometimes I have to get up from the couch and get the gamepad because of shrines that use it exclusively but the pro controller is the best thing besides the console and game itself.

:same: I got a Wii U pro controller for Breath of the Wild and definitely don't regret it.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

yamdankee posted:

It's funny you say that because the motion controls I feel like I do the best with :v:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah they seem to be popular in this thread but I can't do it. I could never do a steering wheel with mario kart. I dunno...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not really the same thing.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

It's funny you say that because the motion controls I feel like I do the best with :v:

Yeah, I love the motion controls for aiming. I use the right stick to move quickly and then you can gently aim with motion controls to be really accurate. After a bit it feels so natural that it's a shame more games don't use it.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

pooch516 posted:

Yeah, I love the motion controls for aiming. I use the right stick to move quickly and then you can gently aim with motion controls to be really accurate. After a bit it feels so natural that it's a shame more games don't use it.

Totally agree. At first I was awful with it, but I was just telling my daughter last night I'm like a sniper with it now lol. I do really like that motion aiming. It makes head shots very satisfying for some reason.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
When it comes to aiming, a combination of motion controls and the sticks works best for me. I use the sticks to aim left and right, and the gyro to aim up and down. It's easier to tilt the controller vertically than to spin it anyway.

So I know everyone wants the hookshot, but what kind of hypothetical new outfits/armor sets would people want to be added with DLC? I can think of two off the top of my head:

:frog:Frog Suit:frog:: Makes Link look like a frog. Each piece increases jump height. Set bonus is sticky-climbing, which lets you climb like Spider-Man and not slip in the rain.

:flashfact:Pegasus Gear::flashfact:: Makes Link look like a combination of the OOT/MM Mailman and Hermes. Each piece increases movement speed. Set bonus is either reduced stamina consumption when sprinting, or a charged dash attack performed by holding the sprint button when standing still. I just really want a 3D version of the Pegasus Boots goddamn it. :mad:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Who amongst us that has played Skyrim or any shooter has not thrown a valuable weapon into a ravine?

I save after finding anything even remotely rare or unique and always would head back to a domicile to put away said things.

The fact you can re-buy unique clothes/the Hylian Shield from Robbie's son tells me at one point when they were playing open world games for homework one of the people working on BOTW lost something they found out was a super rare once a game type of item and knew they couldn't let the same thing happen to players in their own game.

Except if you get Epona and forget to register her then you're screwed.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Has anyone tried the Pro Controller? Is it any better? $70 for a loving controller is a little ridiculous though...

I pretty much used the pro controller exclusively, save for when I was using the switch in portable mode (on the toilet, like God intended).

The pro controller is waaaaaaaaay more comfortable and better laid out than the joycons, sadly. In a game that requires a bit of dexterity (controlling the camera and attacks with the same hand, for instance) the right joycon can feel a little cramped.

IGN or some other dumb website recommended it (along with turning the HUD to pro mode, so they're not entirely stupid), and having had the opportunity to use both, I prefer the pro controller.

Is it worth $70 of comfort? That's a much harder thing to justify. It's better, no doubt. It's just a question of justifying the buy in.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spergatory posted:

:flashfact:Pegasus Gear::flashfact:: Makes Link look like a combination of the OOT/MM Mailman and Hermes. Each piece increases movement speed. Set bonus is either reduced stamina consumption when sprinting, or a charged dash attack performed by holding the sprint button when standing still. I just really want a 3D version of the Pegasus Boots goddamn it. :mad:

If they do a sprint set I bet you anything you like they make it a Bunny Suit.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

I pretty much used the pro controller exclusively, save for when I was using the switch in portable mode (on the toilet, like God intended).

The pro controller is waaaaaaaaay more comfortable and better laid out than the joycons, sadly. In a game that requires a bit of dexterity (controlling the camera and attacks with the same hand, for instance) the right joycon can feel a little cramped.

IGN or some other dumb website recommended it (along with turning the HUD to pro mode, so they're not entirely stupid), and having had the opportunity to use both, I prefer the pro controller.

Is it worth $70 of comfort? That's a much harder thing to justify. It's better, no doubt. It's just a question of justifying the buy in.

Damnit, now I need to figure out a way to hide a $70 purchase for a new controller from the wife :ninja:

And then figure out a way to have the kids not immediately rat me out for purchase of said new controller...

I saw the IGN recommendation of turning HUD to pro mode, which I did and I do like the full screen feel to it and it really does draw you more into the game I feel like.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

If they do a sprint set I bet you anything you like they make it a Bunny Suit.

Leaked image of the DLC Sprint Set

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Damnit, now I need to figure out a way to hide a $70 purchase for a new controller from the wife :ninja:

And then figure out a way to have the kids not immediately rat me out for purchase of said new controller...

I saw the IGN recommendation of turning HUD to pro mode, which I did and I do like the full screen feel to it and it really does draw you more into the game I feel like.

Some colored DS4s were retailing at $65, and the Switch ProCon is a million times better than any controller I've ever used. It's a good investment.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Reading that bit about turning off the HUD made the game way better for me, and I recommend it to everyone who isn't speedrunning the game. It makes a very good exploration game that much better, because while you have goals to accomplish, you're not gluing your eyes to the minimap to get to where you're going. You're actually engaged in the environment, and you see all of the little things that the Devs put into the game to distract you from the big picture (which is loving awesome).

Good luck on your pro controller purchase. :kimchi:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
sprint set should just be a mario costume where the set bonus lets you use stamina to get extra jumps

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When I get a Switch I'm 100% getting a Pro Controller. The joycon dock pseudo-controller looks awful. I'm sure the joycons are fine in handheld mode but a normal controller is going to be much nicer I'd expect.

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013
Just got me a Stalhorse but the stable flat out refused to board it because it would eat the other horses

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's fine. I honestly alternate between it and the pro controller depending on which is closer.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Since BotW came out I hadn't played another console game until last weekend when I started playing Horizon: Zero Dawn again. After 100+ hours using the Wii U Pro controller the DS4's sticks felt too tall for about a minute or two, so that was weird. The game is similar enough to BotW that it makes me super pissed off I can't climb on everything like Spider-Link and also can't use a paraglider to get down off of things, but being able to craft more arrows on the fly feels amazing. Also I keep pressing triangle and doing nothing instead of jumping and that killed me like 3 times at least.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm on top of the mountain getting shock arrows to deal with Vah Ruta and wondering why I heard someone on the internet mention you should not kill Lynel.

Can someone spoil (or lightly spoil) why for me?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Because there is a high chance that you will fail in trying to do so.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Feenix posted:

I'm on top of the mountain getting shock arrows to deal with Vah Ruta and wondering why I heard someone on the internet mention you should not kill Lynel.

They may have said that in the context of Vah Ruta being their first or second Beast and may not be fully geared to handle one yet. If you got the gear go for it, they're not that hard to kill once you get the hang of parrying at the right times. I'd recommend a one handed sword so you can have your shield up a lot if you're worried. Or if you think you can put it away fast enough to put your shield back up, a two handed is great, especially if you can Statis and hold down Y.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Feenix posted:

Let him see you and find out :allears:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Let him see you and find out :allears:

Oh I've attempted it a few times. I have 4 hearts and have dodging down for good flurries. I can get him down about 80%. Seems doable. But I may just go do Vah Ruta first...

Just was curious if there is a reason to not kill. Sounds like no.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feenix posted:

Oh I've attempted it a few times. I have 4 hearts and have dodging down for good flurries. I can get him down about 80%. Seems doable. But I may just go do Vah Ruta first...

Take a picture first.

That said, the only reason not to kill him is if you don't think you can take him in a fight. If you can win, go right ahead. But definitely take a picture first.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Feenix posted:

From my understanding no, and if you are reading the same guide I saw it was because that dude was not geared to handle him.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 28, 2017

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

crayon85 posted:

Just got me a Stalhorse but the stable flat out refused to board it because it would eat the other horses
they disappear at sunrise anyway :ohdear:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wow, I found a little plateau with around 8 of every Saffina and a bunch of other treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feenix posted:

Lynels at low health/armor/weapon levels are a huge pain for the sole reason of requiring 3-4 minutes of flawless play, or they just one shot you. It's certainly doable, just usually a lot more hassle than it's worth.

This does not apply if you snuck into the castle, got an 80 damage 2H, and know how to hold the attack button down. :getin: