Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What are good sources of scripture? I'd like to get to i250 for some bird farming. Currently at i232 and working on my kinna weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

I mean, you're not, we already have a pretty good guess at what's generally gonna happen

We know Zenos is the son of the emperor, based on simple pattern recognition, we already know how his story is gonna play out. At some point he's gonna kill the current emperor and grab power, and we'll be set for a full scale war in 5.0 or something. How can we assume this? His legion gives it away.

Nael led the VII legion, he called down meteor.
Regula led the VI legion, he revolved around the warring triad
Gaius is the odd one out, he has the XIV legion so he had a unique storyline we haven't seen before
Zenos has the XII legion, so based on the previous pattern, my guess is that Zenos is basically gonna be Vayne Solidor. The setup pretty much perfect, with Ala Mhigo standing in for Rabanastre

I like this line of thought. Also worth noting that Dalmasca exists in this world, it's probably south of Doma. Also ties in with the "Return to Ivalice".

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Xun posted:

What are good sources of scripture? I'd like to get to i250 for some bird farming. Currently at i232 and working on my kinna weapon.

Scrip can be had from doing the various roulettes each day - you can easily amass 150+ per day. Even just doing EXDR over and over gets you 50 a pop, but that wears the soul a bit.

Doing Savage Alex also provides scrip, but you're a little low level for that. A9 is easy to beat though and pounding it over and over for 30 scrip a pop would be pretty fast.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
When I was doing my Density farming I saw a handful of people who joined A1S groups as dps since it was ostensibly faster for grinding out scripture. I haven't run the numbers but if you aren't queueing with a healer or tank friend it's definitely going to get you faster pops than most roulettes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Countblanc posted:

When I was doing my Density farming I saw a handful of people who joined A1S groups as dps since it was ostensibly faster for grinding out scripture. I haven't run the numbers but if you aren't queueing with a healer or tank friend it's definitely going to get you faster pops than most roulettes.

Isn't A1S the fastest way to grind out the last Anima step, too? It's nice when 2 different goals have the same path, makes queueing a lot faster.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Yeah, my main issue with the whole Yda is actually Lyse thing is that I never knew the real Yda, and so her death doesn't really mean much to me. Lyse is the spunky comic relief character who had an awesome showdown with Livia way back in 2.0. Lyse is the one that literally punched her way out of Uldah. She's cool and good and one of the scions I like, and her big reveal and name change are kinda meaningless because of that. It would be different if Yda died between 2.55 and HW, and that's where Lyse swapped in, but...

Also drat I never realized the link between the legion number and their goals, that's super neat and I feel dumb.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kelp Me! posted:

Isn't A1S the fastest way to grind out the last Anima step, too? It's nice when 2 different goals have the same path, makes queueing a lot faster.

It is as far as I know. And since groups only need one tank and one healer (and ideally have that though it's certainly not necessary) it's really easy to squeeze into one as a dps.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

It is as far as I know. And since groups only need one tank and one healer (and ideally have that though it's certainly not necessary) it's really easy to squeeze into one as a dps.

Maybe not now that Creator is unlocked since those either give the highest or next to highest light amount.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Maybe not now that Creator is unlocked since those either give the highest or next to highest light amount.

I haven't gotten to the point where I'm farming it yet but supposedly A1S is piss-easy now so I think the overall time investment would still be less?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kelp Me! posted:

I haven't gotten to the point where I'm farming it yet but supposedly A1S is piss-easy now so I think the overall time investment would still be less?

The average A1S run, in my experience, is getting the first boss down to 10-18% health before the second one spawns and then killing them both in another 20-30 seconds. The whole thing takes like 2-3 minutes per run and I've only seen one wipe which was from the tank pulling before realizing there were 3 first-timers who were watching the cutscene and weren't in the boss room (including the healer).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Countblanc posted:

The average A1S run, in my experience, is getting the first boss down to 10-18% health before the second one spawns and then killing them both in another 20-30 seconds. The whole thing takes like 2-3 minutes per run and I've only seen one wipe which was from the tank pulling before realizing there were 3 first-timers who were watching the cutscene and weren't in the boss room (including the healer).
You can also wipe by getting 1.0 dead before 0.5 comes out, so it instantly self-destructs and you can't burn it down fast enough... but if dude's using it to farm scrip his group shouldn't have that high DPS.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wonder if we'll ever do something about the Gration. Even with Regulus dead and the Garlean Emperor gone back home, it seems really unwise to leave them there. At least the various Castrums can be isolated, there's nothing on Azys Lla to really resist them without having to call the Scions in.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey guys, just want to let you all know that I'm not actually Fister Roboto, I'm his younger brother Twister Roboto, and I've been pretending to be him ever since he died six years ago. Oh also none of you ever knew the real Fister Roboto so this reveal is basically meaningless. Welp, later.

The real Fister Roboto died shortly before all of the buffets at Fanfest.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

It would be different if Yda died between 2.55 and HW, and that's where Lyse swapped in, but...

See this is what I assumed when they first did the reveal, until the "6 years ago line", and I'm kind of puzzled as to why they didn't go with it. Not only does it add more weight because the player CAN relate it to a sense of loss, but it retroactively addresses one of the most common complaints about Heavensward, that it basically undid all the major consequences of the end of 2.55 storyline. Not only that, but it addresses their prolonged absence and lack of contact better than what we ended up getting, which was "Umm..resistance stuff don'tworryaboutit"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

If you have a group that can reliably dunk Refurbisher in under four minutes, A9S farming might be faster than A1S. However, if you have such a group then you can probably clear A1S so fast that it would still be quicker overall.

A9S farming would give you a better source of SB catch-up gear and bait for desynth and GC seals I guess.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Thundarr posted:

If you have a group that can reliably dunk Refurbisher in under four minutes, A9S farming might be faster than A1S. However, is you have such a group then you can probably clear A1S so fast that it would still be quicker overall.

A9S farming would give you a better source of SB catch-up gear and bait for desynth and GC seals I guess.

you can also trick your static into running a9s under the guise of farming books for offclasses, so there's that

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Also just saying, I am going to be down for Vayne 2.0 because Vayne was a cool dude, though it seems like Zenos is way more of a dick.

Also question: does anyone have the JP kana spelling for [spoiler's] name? I'm curious about something.

Are you asking for Lyse? She is 久慈川 リセ

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wait wait wait are you guys telling me that Ivalice exists in this setting?

Hype as gently caress.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Wait wait wait are you guys telling me that Ivalice exists in this setting?

Hype as gently caress.
In some form. The 24 man raid series in Stormblood is called "Return to Ivalice" and Matsuno is involved, and Dalmasca and Rabanastre are names of places in the world somewhere. Its easy to get the impression that everyone that works on this game are huge Matsuno fans.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In some form or another, yes. Dalmasca and Rabanastre (FFXII Ivalice locations) have been labeled as places in FFXIV.

The most compelling evidence that I've seen (beyond hinting on Yoshi-P's part and the announcement of an Ivalice raid written by Yasumi Matsuno himself in Stormblood) is the map:

Now, take it, rotate it 90 degrees to the left, and then overlay it on top of the island to the southeast of Lionel in the south of Ivalice:

Of course, what separates all of these potential Ivalices from eachother is *time*. XII's Ivalice is some time in the future post FFT,FFT's Ivalice is some time in the future post FFXII, we have no idea how FFT or XII relates to XIV. And sufficient time means tectonic activity, so the edges of all these continents and land masses and bodies of water are fungible.

edit: I keep getting the timeline mixed up. If the FFXII port weren't coming this summer, I'd play through it for the first time. (Or rather would it be playing itself, har har har gambit joke)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 28, 2017

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
man I never unlocked the lvl 50 Roulette by clearing the hard modes last time i played this is gonna be arduous

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Where's my Dorter Trade City fight, Yoshi P

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MotU posted:

man I never unlocked the lvl 50 Roulette by clearing the hard modes last time i played this is gonna be arduous

Just tell your free company "hey I need to unlock level 50 roulette" and you'll have a bunch of people who will unsync it with you for that sweet, sweet First Time Poetics.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Of course, what separates all of these potential Ivalices from eachother is *time*. XII's Ivalice is some time in the future post FFT, we have no idea how FFT or XII relates to XIV.
Yeah and FF14 as of a couple patches ago has already established the existence of multiple parallel worlds, so I guess its possible that Matsuno's Ivalice exists in one of the reflections if they just want to go full on crossover for the raid

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's an enormous stretch. Also, 12 takes place before Tactics, not after.

For all intents and purposes, Dalmasca is just a name, like Doma.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
strap yourselves in ladies and gentlemen because i'm about to blow this wide open

every final fantasy game takes place in the same world

every one

even the spin offs

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I don't think the twist was supposed to be a huge deal to the player. To me it's just a fairly respectful way of generally moving on from the characters and imagery of 1.0 without completely making GBS threads all over it. I don't think it really matters when exactly the real Yda was replaced; for all intents and purposes Lyse will likely be basically a new character.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

strap yourselves in ladies and gentlemen because i'm about to blow this wide open

every one

even the spin offs
If this game does a Mystic Quest crossover I'm cancelling my sub.

Martman posted:

I don't think the twist was supposed to be a huge deal to the player. To me it's just a fairly respectful way of generally moving on from the characters and imagery of 1.0 without completely making GBS threads all over it. I don't think it really matters when exactly the real Yda was replaced; for all intents and purposes Lyse will likely be basically a new character.
If that's how its handled then this will have been an incredibly loving stupid twist. She's still the same person that we know, she's just decided to step outside of the shadow of others and live for herself. Taking off the literal and metaphorical mask.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Martman posted:

Except that she won't be a new character because literally nothing has changed about her except her name.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

homeless snail posted:

which mystic quest? a completely different (and very good) game is called mystic quest in Europe, you'll have to specify

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

homeless snail posted:

Benjamin's Shrug Emote when?

Unless you're talking about the GBA game which was sort of a SaGa crossover in the first place, which would be excellent for other reasons.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

Okay so, the Echoes of year 1562 in 1.X feature Yda, and all current scenes in year 1572+ (1.X++) is Lyse.

Doesn't that mean we did meet the original Yda then? Most of her screen time in 1.0 would have been the actual Yda, wouldn't it have been?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

CrashScreen posted:

Doesn't that mean we did meet the original Yda then? Most of her screen time in 1.0 would have been the actual Yda, wouldn't it have been?
no, you never meet the original Yda because she was dead in 1571, six years ago, and 1.0 begins in 1572

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In so much as you can "meet" someone in an echo flashback, so no not really.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

every one

even the spin offs

gilgamesh already proved this

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

every one

even the spin offs

this + every zelda game too even the CDI ones because those are also canon

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Except that she won't be a new character because literally nothing has changed about her except her name.
Well also her appearance and attitude; it's basically a license for her to act differently or more like her "real self."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

So? It's a plot development point for her. She's not supposed to be a different character. This is literally a common JRPG plot twist.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

no, you never meet the original Yda because she was dead in 1571, six years ago, and 1.0 begins in 1572

homeless snail posted:

In so much as you can "meet" someone in an echo flashback, so no not really.

What I mean is, isn't that the actual Yda you got to know in 1.0. I don't remember too much of her outside of the Echo, and you're lead to believe that's in the present too, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

CrashScreen posted:

What I mean is, isn't that the actual Yda you got to know in 1.0. I don't remember too much of her outside of the Echo, and you're lead to believe that's in the present too, anyway.

the game doesn't tell you when you're meeting Real Yda and Not Yda in 1.0 other than making a very indistinct "woosh" as it happens

• Locked thread