Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah

Well more disappointed really.

That's okay. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and feelings are always important. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pick posted:

Mostly just gbs is lovely so I poo poo it up harder and see what happens.

So this?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yeah, exactly that, I'm not sure why people keep responding to me like I am not openly saying I'm pretending to act like a crazy moron for kicks. In every thread I've said I'm playing a troll gimmick for yucks but you guys just cannot seem to figure it out.

I'm trolling. I am posting as a troll to troll you.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Do you also walk around wondering why people are just so gosh darn racist against white folk?

nope, i do not

Pick posted:

Yeah, exactly that, I'm not sure why people keep responding to me like I am not openly saying I'm pretending to act like a crazy moron for kicks. In every thread I've said I'm playing a troll gimmick for yucks but you guys just cannot seem to figure it out.

I'm trolling. I am posting as a troll to troll you.

and what I'm saying is it used to be funny or at least mildly amusing and now it's not it's just painful to read. so if you're going to go that route please up your game thank you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nah, whiny babies went to QCS to complain about the lesbian conspiracy or something, and I don't want to get Trop in hot water so this particular schtick is ending.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Pick posted:

Nah, whiny babies went to QCS to complain about the lesbian conspiracy or something, and I don't want to get Trop in hot water so this particular schtick is ending.

It's for the best

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Yeah but with that one I am actually interested in what the wife has to say. He admits she says she's been saying that she's been unhappy for a year, that he's always angry, that she was scared of him yelling. Those are some :redflag: on his part

I mean considering he walked in on her cheating, she lied about it, attempted to use his "anger" as an excuse for why she was trying to hide it, and he still didn't get aggressive I think it's safe to assume he doesn't actually have anger issues and she's just a manipulative rear end in a top hat.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pick posted:

Donkey thread is legit though, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

Donkey thread is legit though, right?

Yep.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nazzadan posted:

My wife has been having "online" affairs. I caught her 3 days ago, she told me she loved me and didn't want to lose me, and now I just found out she simply created a new account and moved her flirts over there.

This guy ow.

This is my brother right now, except replace online flirting with 2 cases of cheating, 1 case of online prostitution. No therapy, no break up, he says it's just too messy and hard to get a divorce and he still loves her. It is soul crushing to watch and there's jack poo poo I can do.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pick posted:

Lol are you serious hahahahaha

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The vagenda of menicide continues unabated

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The vagenda of menicide continues unabated

It's actually "manocide".

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pick posted:

It's actually "manocide".

homiecide?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hey want to know what /r/childfree's been up to? No? Well here it is anyway.

What Really Made The Flintstones Jump Shark?

quote:

My mother's Christmas gift finally arrived in the mail you know only 3 months after Christmas (thanks Amazon). I got her the complete Flintstones series on DVD and she was really excited. It lasted 6 seasons which I guess is pretty good for a cartoon that aired in the 1960s. My mother told me she didn't really like the final season with the Great Gazoo and this was before Scrabby Doo on Scooby Doo. It does sound a bit out of place what would an alien be doing in a show about a stone age family. I looked up to see what other people thought and they definitely felt the same way.

However I found it interesting that some were saying it was the birth of Pebbles and the arrival of Bam-Bam is when things started to tank long before the Great Gazoo. My mother said even though my earliest exposure to the Flintstones was on Cartoon Network (before they started their own original programming) it was originally intended for adults. Which sounds right since Fred and Barney were in cigarette ads but I guess kids started to watch and the focus on the show shifted.

I can kind of understand Pebbles but now I'm thinking Bam-Bam may have been recycled character because originally Pebbles was going to be a boy but the merchandising wanted to sell baby dolls. At least Bam-Bam was adopted by the Rubbles though. What do you guys think?

Beauty and the Beast - I shot myself in the foot

quote:

So my friend won some vouchers to our local cinema and invited me to see the new Beauty and the Beast.

I was expecting noise and chatter and excited kids, And occasional loud noises. Our nerves were steeled but what we got was... ugh.

So Friend picks me up and apparently her mum wants to go too. With the rest of her kids, and her friends and all their kids! All ranging ages 3 to about 15. And then put all of these kids, and all their bags of chocolate and large sodas in the same row, including the littlest ones.

If there was a scene that got a chuckle from the audience, they shrieked laughing, legitimate shrieking. I wish I was over exaggerating. And if you've seen Beauty and the beast, the kids obviously freaked out near the end and started actually screaming. Of course their mothers in the row behind them did jack poo poo to comfort them or tell them to hush through out the movie.

And It wasn't even the little ones that made the most fuss, but the older girls that shouldn't be standing and jumping and trying to belt out songs because they should drat well know better.

I know it was kind of on me to going, but there is excited kids, and then there was... that.

No, rich people don't need paid maternity leave

quote:

Ugh I'm so annoyed. My sister is a physician, and makes good money, along with my brother in law. So in our country, you get a year off with almost 100% of your salary for maternity/paternity leave. It's absolutely ridiculous. If you can't afford to go one year without money, then you shouldn't be having a kid.

Also, this allows a lot of women who work low income jobs who could never afford children the ability to have them. And then a huge part of MY income goes to paying for free daycare, free schooling, free health care, and free university for the brats. It's frustrating. I think that unless you can pass financial requirements that prove that you can fully support your child 100%, you shouldn't have one. And no, maternity/paternity leave that is paid is not fair and equal because non-parents don't get that. And the amount of money I pay to educate/health care for these kids is just obscene.

Okay, rant over.

I just came out to my family as childfree!

The actual post is long and boring (family basically said who loving cares) but something about them thinking not having kids is something you need to come out of the closet for bothers me on a deep level.

Do you ever (briefly) want children?

quote:

Do you ever see a kid do something really cute, and then you think, "wow! I want one of these!"? Lately that's been happening to me. I don't know why. Luckily I go to the grocery store and see little kids stomp, scream, and cry so the "motherly instincts" seem to fade away fast. Does anyone else ever have moments where they want a child? What happens that makes you rethink your CF stance?

[Other] Why the hate on this sub?

quote:

Sorry for the wall of text, on mobile. In the recent askreddit thread that asks what sub a person would downvote, someone mentioned childfree. They said things like we are more like childhate and that we go out of our way to get angry at parents. Many people here are ok with children but do not want them. Or many do dislike children but do not try and be rude to the child but rather act civil. As I see it, we don't go out of our way to be offended by parents but rather cross paths with parents who have tunnel vision on their snowflake(s). People think we are people who absolutely detest children, but I assume most don't go out of their way to get mad at parents.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Can't remember if this one was posted before, but enjoy

quote:

Girlfriend is pregnant and wants to have it. I'm depressed and terrified (self.predaddit)
submitted 6 days ago * by Throwawayforu
The past couple of days has been stressful and I guess I'm just needing to vent and maybe hear from some people who have been in the same situation. This is bound to be long so I really appreciate the people who take the time to listen to me blabbing on. I've been reading through a lot of threads here of expecting dads and for the most part people seem to be a bit worried but overall thrilled. Sadly, I don't find myself in such an optimistic mood.

I'm a 30 year old guy. I've been dating my current girlfriend for 6 months (she's 25). A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I had sex. In the heat of the moment she told me to cum in her and like an IDIOT, I did. She had had her period only a week before that and I thought to myself 'Meh she just had her period, there's no way shes ovulating, its just one time, we'll be fine.'. Well....I was wrong. She was a few days late on her next period, peed on a pregnancy test I had lying around in my bathroom cabinets, and it came out positive. I had her take another one the next day just to make sure it wasn't an anomaly. I thought to myself 'Well, ok this isn't so bad, we've caught it early and we can get it taken care of and move on and we'll just have to be more careful moving forward' Well...she has other ideas.

We talked about it a bit, and she seems determined to have the child . She has no interest really in discussing my concerns, or entertaining any discussion about the possibility of not having it. I seem to essentially have NO SAY in this decision.
I don't know what to do. I love her, but I don't know that shes 'the one' I want to be connected to for the rest of my life via this child. We've only been together for 6 friggin months. I don't feel like I'm ready to have a kid, and its not something I want right now. I've been working since I was 14, I've never had a vacation, there's so much I want to do before I have to give up my hobbies and dreams in order to support a child and possibly the childs mother. In short: I feel like I'm not ready to give up being selfish with my life yet.

I have so many things I want to do that I feel like will be impossible if I have to raise a child and support my girlfriend in the process. I had a plan to quit my job and start my own company in the industry I work in. Over the past few months I've felt like I'm finally ready to do it. Now with this situation I feel that there is no way I'll be able to. I'll need to have the guaranteed paycheck to put towards a baby and my girlfriend. I'll be stuck working in a job that I don't want to be in to support a girl and a child I didn't want to have to support. And I know this all sounds selfish. I know I'm responsible for this situation and I know my choices are what did this. Its just depressing.

I always envisioned that I would start my own company, work at that for a couple of years, get my income up, spend a year or two being young and decently well off and able to experience going on trips and buying a nice car, and eating at great restaurants, and buying expensive stupid fun things, etc and then eventually I'd settle down around 35 or 36, having finally had fun for a few years, and I'd have a family. I now feel like that dream may be impossible. I'll have to stay in my current job, I'll have to financially support a child and its mother which will effectively mean splitting my income in half, which will mean having to move into a lovely 1 bedroom apartment in a crap neighborhood with no time for any of my hobbies that I love, never sleeping, having no disposable income, dealing with a child and an emotional girlfriend.

Part of me feels like she's dead set on this because she wants to be attached to me in some way. Maybe that sounds arrogant but judging by some of what she says, it at times seems to be the case.

For those who would say that I'm selfish: you're right. But, you only get one life. Why not be selfish with it? I don't know. I feel like I'm rambling but this whole thing has me depressed about what could have been in the cards for me in the next few years in terms of my career, my income, my ability to FINALLY after working all these years be able to go out on my own in business, and have some fun while I'm still young and free. It now seems like that is all coming to an end before it even began and its sad. Anyway, thanks for listening. Any input is appreciated, even if its honest input confirming all of my depressing fears haha.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

WampaLord posted:

As penance for my derail, I will contribute.

I (F28) just through a dinner where my husband (M34) relentlessly tore down my future career. I'm now at a loss of what to do.

The biggest of :redflag:s.

And gently caress this guy for hating teachers.

gently caress that guy. Some of the most influential people in my life were high school teachers who encouraged me when I felt like a failure. I'll never forget the high five I got from my chem teacher for getting a C. It was when I realized that somebody was proud of me for doing my best even if my best was pretty lovely. I tried harder and got B's from that point on.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Play posted:

Lol trap sprung. But what a loving moron for having unprotected sex with a woman who isn't on birth control when you aren't comfortable with the possibility of a baby at the end of it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Play posted:

v-- this

therobit posted:

Lol trap sprung. But what a loving moron for having unprotected sex with a woman who isn't on birth control when you aren't comfortable with the possibility of a baby at the end of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Play posted:

"Settle down" when you're 36? Give me a loving break and grow up.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Danaru posted:

Hmm, yes. Parents need at least one year's gross salary in a child expense trust per planned child before being granted a government conception license. Furthermore, the parents should bear the sole financial burden for any health care, child day care, primary and secondary education and college education their children may require.

Hah, yes! It worked! I now receive an extra 2% on my paycheck that would have gone to those leeches through taxes!

Why is my country's population declining? Why are my parents calling me about medical bills, I thought I had free healthcare? How do these government bastards expect my parents to pay for those four years of college classes I took? Why do all of these brown foreigners outnumber my noble people with their illegal babies?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

therobit posted:

He is also in his 30s, lol that dumb man child.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

r/relationshipsNon-Romantic

I [39F] overheard my real estate lady [40s?F] trash-talking me and my husband to our potential buyers. She also convinced them to drop a job meant for my husband to give to her husband instead.

u/throwaway0394820348

My husband [40M] and I bought a second house up in Pennsylvania for numerous reasons that didn't work out. We both work in Manhattan and I couldn't handle the commute. We moved back to our original house in a commuter town in New Jersey a year ago and have been trying to sell the house in PA ever since.

It has been extremely stressful because I've had to continue paying the mortgage for said house, as well as the house that we currently live in. I just want to get the darn thing off of my hands already. Luckily, we found a real-estate lady who was able to find us buyers. They put down a deposit and everything. I'm glad but I won't feel calm until the papers are all settled which should be soon.

We have cameras installed in our old house in which we would watch our daughters' babysitter from. We've never uninstalled them and they are clearly visible -- not hidden or anything like that.

I overheard our real estate lady in the house with our buyers making fun of the furniture that we were trying to sell to them. She called them tacky and the buyers joined in -- basically making fun of me and calling me stupid for buying expensive art as a tourist.

This upset me greatly as this is my real-estate lady.. she is supposed to be selling the house and making us money. Instead she is agreeing that they shouldn't buy our furniture.

On top of that, my husband is a construction worker and was supposed to do a job for them in the house for $5000. Our real estate lady convinced the buyers that that was too expensive and basically stole his job and gave it to HER husband.

Reddit, what do I do? I was looking to see if the cameras were connected and then immediately overheard them speaking. Is this illegal as the cameras are in our home, and are visible?

Is what she's doing illegal?

I don't think that I can afford to fire her or find different buyers. I really need to sell the house. But I am just so upset and feel so betrayed by this. What can I do? Is there legal action that I can take? If not, should I confront her after the house is sold? Send an email, and if so what should I say? Should I just drop it all-together? I don't know. I just feel hurt and betrayed.

tl;dr: overheard real-estate lady bashing us to our buyers. She also stole my husbands job.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I overheard our real estate lady in the house with our buyers making fun of the furniture that we were trying to sell to them. She called them tacky and the buyers joined in -- basically making fun of me and calling me stupid for buying expensive art as a tourist.
I mean, this could just be good small talk to convince them to buy the house. Lots of people buy lovely furniture, and if the buyers aren't interested in it not trying to shove it down their throat could smooth over the sale.

quote:

On top of that, my husband is a construction worker and was supposed to do a job for them in the house for $5000. Our real estate lady convinced the buyers that that was too expensive and basically stole his job and gave it to HER husband.
That's just a dick move pretty much. Unless they were getting cold feet or something.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 29, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Danaru posted:

Hey want to know what /r/childfree's been up to? No? Well here it is anyway.

What Really Made The Flintstones Jump Shark?

Beauty and the Beast - I shot myself in the foot

I just came out to my family as childfree!

The actual post is long and boring (family basically said who loving cares) but something about them thinking not having kids is something you need to come out of the closet for bothers me on a deep level.

Do you ever (briefly) want children?

[Other] Why the hate on this sub?

These are so, so good. I don't know which one is my favourite

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's the flintstones, easily.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im definitely leaning towards the person trying to claw back benefits because they dont help them, personally.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
If people are giving you so much poo poo about having kids, why not say you can't actually have them because of some condition?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
The benefits one is good because they imply anyone should be able to just go a year without working and be fine financially.

The flintstones one is great because they seem impressed that the show lasted so long despite being the first of its kind ever

The beauty and the beast one because lol you're at a children's movie

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sotar posted:

If people are giving you so much poo poo about having kids, why not say you can't actually have them because of some condition?

That doesn't stop a dismaying number of people.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Plus anyone who posts in childfree needs the feeling of persecution to get off.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I also get the impression that a lot of them are really young yet and may change thier tune later. I know that some women do come under a lot of pressure to have kids from their parents but the r/childfree folks probably are not mostly made up of those women. They are probably offended that the social norm is not with them.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sotar posted:

Or people can respect someone's choice.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sotar posted:

Because you can always adopt!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My parents [51 M][43 F] have a rule that I [17 M] finds totally ridiculous and unjust, and try to keep me in check through money.

u/Drippin7

I am a second semester senior and am currently struggling to deal with my parents.

I don't know where to start. Ever since I started high school my parents have just turned on me. I can't remember the last time they were genuinely nice to me. However, recently it has been getting even worse.

Before you read about this, don't just brush it off as me being an entitled piece of poo poo as they like to say I am. Beginning my second semester this year they made a new rule that they get to take my phone at 10 o'clock every night. Not only was this out of the blue, they really didn't have an explanation for it besides "We are your parents and can do whatever the hell we want". I don't think they have ever put something in place that has driven me as crazy as this. I try to explain it to them, I have a girl I like and we really can't talk until 10 because were busy.

I have tried to talk to them about it or why it bothers me, how it limits my communication with anyone. I don't sleep well cause I sit in bed in anger. It effects my overall attitude and I feel like I am being treated by a 10 year old. I have tried to reach a compromise with them, and even offered to pay my part of the phone bill.

I do everything they ask. I act as respectful as possible and try hard in school. I am not sure why they feel the need to punish me. It does not make sense.

That however is just a small thing on a list of issues I have with them. I am not going to sugar coat it, I am lucky. My parents pay for everything I have, insurance, the car, bills, etc. I only pay for gas, food, and anything else I want with the money I get from my job.

However, my parents have been absolute jerks to me for a long time now. They are constantly raising their voice at me (I cannot remember the last time I yelled), cursing me out, calling me names, and picking on me in front of mine or their peers. They treat me based on how my grades are, and if my grades are low they take away everything they can and justify how they treat me by that.

They keep me in check by threatening me as such: 1) The second I turn eighteen they will kick me out. 2) Cut me off completely 3) Stop helping me pay for college

I am at the point where I am thinking of taking out student loans instead of them helping me pay for college. I am just not sure how to handle this situation anymore.

tl;dr: Parents created a "rule" thats really just an unjust punishment, treat me poorly and the only reason I don't do anything is they threaten cutting me off.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Lol @ "the only reason I don't do anything."

Kid, what the hell are you going to "do" about the people feeding and clothing you making rules about your continued presence in thier home when you ain't even at the age of majority?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

My parents [51 M][43 F] have a rule that I [17 M] finds totally ridiculous and unjust, and try to keep me in check through money.

17 feels a little old for NO gently caress YOU MOM I'LL GO INTO CRIPPLING DEBT SO I CAN USE MY PHONE WHENEVER I WAAAANT

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
If he's already offering to pay for his own phone just go get one.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

u/Drippin7

I am at the point where I am thinking of taking out student loans instead of them helping me pay for college. I am just not sure how to handle this situation anymore.

Good idea kid. Instead of swallowing this TOTAL bullshit, seize your autonomy and put yourself 100,000 in debt to a bank!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

new phone who dis posted:

If he's already offering to pay for his own phone just go get one.

Seriously, get a prepaid burner and problem solved. Also, stop being a little bitch.