Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Detective No. 27 posted:

The modern Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be a conflict between traditional
2D animations and modern 3D CGI animations.

Maybe the villain wants to destroy toon town now that there enough cgi to make anything possible, and just put all the more realistic 3d characters into a big warehouse to be used as special effects and not with its own "life" as a really heavy handed commentary on live action princess and superhero movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

21 Muns posted:

TBH this kind of corroborates my earlier theory that the goal of the live-action remakes is to retcon handdrawn animation out of existence, so they can keep making money from marketing their old characters without kids asking awkward questions about why animated movies look different now.

But the fatal flaw in your plan is, if they eliminate their animated films then they can't sell the same film to you twice.

In all seriousness, the only thing driving the live-action remakes is the fact that you can get a much more diverse audience. Where maybe you can't get moms and dads who won't go see Zootopia because it looks like baby stuff, you can get them in the door for The Jungle Book as it looks a lot more serious and mature, even though both films are pretty much kids movies. And that is what's going on, the pig known as kids movies being applied lipstick so that dads will want to gently caress it go watch it. Plus, re-releases don't make nearly as much bank as a brand new feature.

Plus get them to repurchase a perfectly fine film they already have on the shelf/double the Netflix revenue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean you could argue death of the marketer in so far as the repeating trends of the drive for profit result in conditions where your statement of voiding the past is true, but were still back at fundamentally the whole game is make money and "new" versus "rerelease" puts buts in the seats even if 80% of it is reconstituted film byproduct.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shadow Hog posted:

Space Jam is canon to Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, though, so if Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is canon (as we know it is, since it warns you of as much when you start), it follows that Space Jam itself is also canon.

The canonical Space Jam, which is often referred to in academia as Space Jam (pronounced "Space Jam Prime) or the Ur Space Jam, is only known to exist from ancient manuscripts that refer to it and the few fragments that have been discovered with the recession of the dead sea waters.

So while there is (or at least, was) a canonical Space Jam, we sadly no longer have access to the text.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lots of these movies could be well-served by live action if it were a conscious attempt to exploit the freakishness of talking animals and poke fun at the insidious "naturalism" of Disney's world, but that movie probably isn't going to come from Disney.

Once again, the movie being described here is Shrek.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speaking of live action remakes

https://twitter.com/ytv/status/846859789997146113

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

What?

WHY

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
A ReBoot series from the perspective of the uncaring User who mercilessly wipes out dozens of Sprites a day.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

This just feels like professional trolling at this point.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I wonder if ReBoot holds up. I remember they had an Evil Dead episode so probably.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mecha Gojira posted:

A ReBoot series from the perspective of the uncaring User who mercilessly wipes out dozens of Sprites a day.

Dot looks on helpless as Bob is trapped in a swimming pool with the ladder removed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xibanya posted:

I don't see how the story of The Lion King is better served in live action.

The Jungle Book 2016 fell just shy of making a billion dollars worldwide and Beauty and the Beast 2017 is already up to $700m after only 11 days. They're making roughly as much money as most of the Marvel and Pirates of the Caribbean movies but cost way less.

If anyone at Disney dared to say "Yeah but live action doesn't really serve the story, maybe we should reconsider?" they'd be taken out the back and shot in the face.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 29, 2017

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Spoiler alert: none of these movies are better served in live action and it's all about money.

Yeah, it's just another cheap shot at name recognition.

The only one which offered any legitimate improvement was The Jungle Book, and that's mostly because the original movie was basically bits and pieces of Kipling's book mashed together with just enough plot to qualify as a single coherent story. Its sequel is the only one of Disney's upcoming live action films that I'm actually anticipating. I just hope people don't get fed up with this live action remake fad to the point where it gets cancelled.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

Dot looks on helpless as Bob is trapped in a swimming pool with the ladder removed.

Too real

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Who the hell liked ReBoot?

I think even as a kid I thought the characters & visual style looked awful.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Guys, I skipped out on Beauty and the Beast to see Power Rangers last week.

I do not regret it in the slightest. Power Rangers nostalgia beats Disney nostalgia every time. Except for Guardians of the Galaxy. And anything Zootopia.

Granted, I also skipped Logan too.

DC Murderverse posted:

Sorry to interrupt the growing realization that Disney will not stop until they are Cyberdyne Technologies with animatronic animals instead of Terminators, but

A Movie About Ferdinand The Bull Starring John Cena just released a trailer. I actually think casting the human equivalent of a fighting bull to be the voice of Ferdinand is kinda cute, and the obvious "bull in a china shop" gag was good, but the rest of this trailer looks pretty "meh"

I'm down for this. I liked Rio 1 and 2.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Rio 2 is worth it for Jemaine Clement's character (and his song) even though Blue Sky is content putting out some of the most mediocre trash

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I loved Reboot as a kid though I imagine it wouldn't hold up if I watched it now.

Live action Reboot is like a fully animated Who Framed Roger Rabbit though. The medium is literally the point. Why do it any other way?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cockmaster posted:

I just hope people don't get fed up with this live action remake fad to the point where it gets cancelled.

Oh, you mean like the superhero movie fad?

Yeah, don't worry about it. :smith:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
All this live action chat just reminded me of that announced Live action version of The Brave Little Toaster, which thankfully seems to have vanished into the ether.

Also I don't think a Chernobog movie sounds like the worst idea? You basically just have a blank slate to do something with a cool demon. :shrug: Make it a Kaiju movie or something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Panic Restaurant posted:

All this live action chat just reminded me of that announced Live action version of The Brave Little Toaster, which thankfully seems to have vanished into the ether.

That would be pretty funnny
especially if they kept "worthless"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Chernobog might suck because I think Disney will skimp on the ending with God showing up

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm ashamed to admit this but I've actually never seen Space Jam.

However, Space Jam predates the total hegemonic victory Disney achieved over American pop culture when they ate Marvel and Lucasfilm, so I think we're due for an update either way.

It's garbage with only a few good jokes and if you have no nostalgia for it from being a basketball loving kid in the 90s, you will think it sucks. I say this as someone who does and was.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

*I* liked Reboot. One of the things that I really enjoyed, even as a kid, was how the story and art developed hand in hand. Each season was a little better, more mature, better told - and in turn, the renders got more detailed, the set pieces more elaborate, and so on. Plus it was a nerdy thrill to see the future of animation unfolding in front of you, complete with computer, animation, and general nerd references. It had a sense of passion and artistry to it, and I really felt that the show (especially the later seasons) told some very personal stories with elaborate amounts of framing.

Plus Tony Jay voiced Megabyte and I would sell my soul to have him narrate things for me.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I wonder if ReBoot holds up. I remember they had an Evil Dead episode so probably.
It doesn't and is trash.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Yoshi Jjang posted:

It's getting awfully close to April Fool's. :ohdear:

Also, I rewatched ReBoot only a year ago, and I thought it was great. I didn't wear nostalgia glasses because I barely remembered the show before then. So there. :colbert:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ImpAtom posted:

I loved Reboot as a kid though I imagine it wouldn't hold up if I watched it now.

It just barely holds up, kinda, if you jump to season three and lean real hard on nostalgia.

Actually you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrKYETorM8 then you jump to season three.

But it's pretty groady.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
oh god

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
*Flails arms like Kermit"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It's worse than I remembered.

(Free tag line there YTV, run with it!)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tony Jay voices Megabyte.

Checkmate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So apparently Wreck It Ralph 2 is titled "Ralph Breaks The Internet" and seems to revolve around smartphone games.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ImpAtom posted:

So apparently Wreck It Ralph 2 is titled "Ralph Breaks The Internet" and seems to revolve around smartphone games.

Countdown to fan art of Ralph posing like Kim Kardashian...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

So the movie is gonna play for about five minutes before the audience is required to spend $$ on stamina orbs?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Whole movie is just Ralph wrecking something over and over in a stationary state as larger numbers appear over his head.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Countdown to fan art of Ralph posing like Kim Kardashian...

You joke but this is going to happen so many times.

Disney knows what they're doing too.

They. Know.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Disney has a lot to answer for :shepface:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The modern Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be a conflict between traditional
2D animations and modern 3D CGI animations.

I remember there was a story somebody at Disney was going to pitch a Mickey Mouse/Who frame roger rabbit story a few years ago.

I guess that went nowhere.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ImpAtom posted:

On a scale of "dumb" to "real dumb", how dumb is it that the subtitles isn't "Ralph Wrecks The Internet"?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Why didn't they just call it Super Wreck-it Ralph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wreck-it Ralph Ultra