Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therobit posted:

I also get the impression that a lot of them are really young yet and may change thier tune later. I know that some women do come under a lot of pressure to have kids from their parents but the r/childfree folks probably are not mostly made up of those women. They are probably offended that the social norm is not with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Take that mom and dad, you don't get to help me pay for college! Suckers!!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pelvic Floor Wax posted:

I [27f] just had a complicated root canal and my husband [31m] could care less

oh okay, your husband sounds like a bit of a dick and...

:stonk:

wtf happened between these 2 posts?

Holy poo poo, run. Don't stop to pack, just run.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He can just call their bluff and refuse to hand over his phone. Chances they actually gently caress up his life: low. Most parents aren't actually willing to kick their kid out onto the street even if they're willing to threaten it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He can just call their bluff and refuse to hand over his phone. Chances they actually gently caress up his life: low. Most parents aren't actually willing to kick their kid out onto the street even if they're willing to threaten it.

They could just deactivate it through the company though. He better have some real important things to say the night he pulls that one. Almost every kid bluff can be called fairly easily because they are idiot kids.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
just sneak out after 11pm like normal kids used to

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

new phone who dis posted:

They could just deactivate it through the company though. He better have some real important things to say the night he pulls that one. Almost every kid bluff can be called fairly easily because they are idiot kids.

The phone will end up smashed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Just start leaving brochures for really lovely retirement homes around geez kid learn what leverage is

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Just start leaving brochures for really lovely retirement homes around geez kid learn what leverage is

If the parents are boomers just uttering the words "nursing home" should be enough. My father has requested that if it comes down to a nursing home or death from neglect, he would prefer I just wheel him out to the back section of the farm and leave him there. "I won't come back, don't worry."

This is when I accidentally referred to the assisted living facility my grandparents were in as a nursing home. Apparently it was different enough when grandma went to an adult foster care home.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Much like the most misogynist straight dudes fear gay men will do them what they do to women, the shittiest boomers fear that their children will do to them what they did to their parents.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Those parents are probably going to track his phone via GPS when he goes to college and freak the gently caress out anytime he's not where he should be.

Still, the burner phone solution is so easy and obvious.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Benagain posted:

Much like the most misogynist straight dudes fear gay men will do them what they do to women, the shittiest boomers fear that their children will do to them what they did to their parents.

Honestly grandma's foster care home was pretty good, and was necessary once the assisted living facility was no longer appropriate to her needs. Dad was just scared of the words "nursing home" because that generation saw thier grandparents/great uncles and aunts living in squalor and neglect in some pretty horrific ones back in the day.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

therobit posted:

Honestly grandma's foster care home was pretty good, and was necessary once the assisted living facility was no longer appropriate to her needs. Dad was just scared of the words "nursing home" because that generation saw thier grandparents/great uncles and aunts living in squalor and neglect in some pretty horrific ones back in the day.
yeah my mom tried to take care of her dad at home when he got dementia and it's just impossible. Death still seems preferable to the memory ward though if you feel your mind start to slip do yourself a favor and hop on an ice floe drifting out to sea while you still can

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

this but unironically

it's the most condescending poo poo in the world. my wife and i both knew ten years ago and our minds didn't change even a little bit.

it's basically "you'll come to the same determination as me once you come to your senses!" like having kids is the only rational and correct thing to do

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 29, 2017

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Maybe you'd be MirthFUL with children in your life.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

VanSandman posted:

pretty sure I'd be a miserable wreck and my kids would be neurotic

I understand the appeal but kids are just not for us.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

VanSandman posted:

lmbo

the one thing childfree is correct about is family and friends pressuring people who don't want children into having them is very silly. Let them make up their mind on their own.

Everything else about childfree is... well it's something different and basically involves every single kind of failing a human can have

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

VanSandman posted:

*child relates story about something that happened at school*

Mirthless: Well actually, you see, I once...

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Play posted:

lmbo

the one thing childfree is correct about is family and friends pressuring people who don't want children into having them is very silly. Let them make up their mind on their own.

Everything else about childfree is... well it's something different and basically involves every single kind of failing a human can have

My ex had a ton of people nagging her about having kids according to her while she was in her 20s. This morphed into her actually posting in that sub with all the same vitriol as any of them had. Shocker she totally had a persecution complex with nothing really behind it besides her own gently caress ups.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The answer to "Why don't you want kids?" that always gets people to shut up is "I'm incredibly selfish and would neglect them and blame them for my failures."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I like to say "Babies are machines that turn money into poop."

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I usually just say "the going rate at the baby auction isn't quite where we'd like it to be and maybe we'll reconsider if the market improves"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
being childfree is like being a vegan, good for you if you make that choice but some people will think it's weird for better or worse and if you make this decision part of your identity then you're going to come off even weirder

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

being childfree is like being a vegan, good for you if you make that choice but some people will think it's weird for better or worse and if you make this decision part of your identity then you're going to come off even weirder

I think you're close but a bit off, I can sympathize with women who come to resent the social atmosphere because it's like you're trapped in a world where condescending vegans are the majority instead of an obscure minority and you can't go a day or week without friends, family, even total strangers judging you for your life choices. Childfree people are weird but they're not actually pushing their gospel, they just turn to the insular community cause they wanna be left alone.

It'd be more comparable to the opposite of what you're suggesting, if people with normal diets just dropped everything and were huge dicks about you not eating meat anytime the subject came up.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 29, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
fwiw i'm less sympathetic of men who flock to those communities cause while there is still some social pressure it's not really the same. To me it's a bit understandable that a woman who doesn't want kids grows to be resentful of them, a 25 year old dude that hates the sound of children laughing or w/e tho is just an rear end in a top hat.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

I think you're close but a bit off, I can sympathize with women who come to resent the social atmosphere because it's like you're trapped in a world where condescending vegans are the majority instead of an obscure minority and you can't go a day or week without friends, family, even total strangers judging you for your life choices. Childfree people are weird but they're not actually pushing their gospel, they just turn to the insular community cause they wanna be left alone.

It'd be more comparable to the opposite of what you're suggesting, if people with normal diets just dropped everything and were huge dicks about you not eating meat anytime the subject came up.

sounds like it's time for a golden oldie

Me [25F] with my boyfriend [23M] 3 years, he can't accept that I'm vegetarain and I think he's trying to trick me into eating meat.

quote:

Me and my boyfriend have been together for three years and have lived together for one year. I've been a vegetarian since I was eleven years old through my own choice, no one else in my family is veggie. My bf eats meat. Although my dream, ideal partner probably would be a vegetarian, I view this as a Dan Savage 'price of admission' for an otherwise great guy.
Usually we cook veggie meals and he adds meat to them. If he wants a meal where that doesn't work, we just cook our own things and eat them together. The cooking works out to about 50/50 and so does the cleaning, so I don't think the problem is with that. He eats meat most days, I have no problem with meat in the flat. I won't cook it, that's all, cause it grosses me out. Meat pizzas and stuff like that I don't mind, but nothing than involves really touching the meat.

Recently he's been really obsessed with my vegetarianism in a way he never had before - he's always made stupid jokes but that's a better reaction than a lot of people. He's proper grilled me about it around four times in the past fortnight. Anyone who's been veggie know how annoying those constant conversations are. He's started genuinely saying that its stupid, unhealthy, hipster, all that stuff. I've shown him the studies saying vegetarians usually live longer, that a veggie and even vegan diet is accepted unanimously by dieticians as just as healthy as a meat one - he just doesn't accept it. He has a far worse diet than I do! I don't snack, don't eat fast food, don't have sugary drinks and he does all the time. (We're both slim however.) He's been asking if I'd ever quit a lot too. I'd like to point out that I never bring my vegetarianism up in conversation because usually people just try to lecture you. Whenever we talk about it, he brings it up.

Now, there's been a handful of times in the past few weeks when he'll cook a meal for us and I'll notice that it's not vegetarian. Some examples:

He made spag bol saying it was quorn when it just obviously wasn't. They don't look the same. When I pointed this out, he just laughed and said it was a brain fart and he forgot - which, okay, whatever, I guess that could happen.

He gave me a sandwich with ham on it (another mistake, apparently, since he was making us both them and just put the ham on both, despite this never having been a problem before).

He made himself a bacon butty and asked if I wanted an egg one. I say yes and when I walk into the kitchen he's using the same pan that he'd used for bacon. He said he didn't know this was a problem when he 100% did because he always swapped pans before this. And it's not about the washing up, because when he cooks, I wash up and the other way around.

He made chicken enchiladas and told me they were veggie. Luckily I saw the chicken when I cut it in half. Same excuses: an honest mistake.

I thus far haven't accidentally eaten any meat. I've been cooking for myself for the past week, but he keeps offering to cook for both of us. Am I just being paranoid? The idea of him sneaking meat into my food seems crazy but it really seems like he is! Why would he even bother to do that??

quote:

So after posting, I stuck to only eating food I'd made and my bf got more and more antsy about cooking for me. I sat him down the next day and asked him the same stuff: if he had a problem with my vegetarianism, why he was trying to contaminate my food: since I asked WHY and not IF, he blew up. Demanding to know why I didn't trust him, how I could accuse him of this. He also kept trying to get me to explain why I'm veggie in the first place, but he knows this well so I didn't let him derail the conversation. Eventually, after the most frustrating, circular argument ever, he stormed off to our bedroom. We didn't speak that night or the morning.

When I got home the next day, he'd actually gone and cooked an entire chicken "for us". He asked me if I'd eat it. It was so surreal: him stood at the kitchen counter with this cooked chicken asking me to eat it when he's never known me to eat meat, as if we hasn't been arguing about this at all. I didn't even respond. I shouldered my way past him to the fridge ... which was a massive mistake. I guess he went a little nuts. I still can't really believe this happened, but he grabbed me by my hair at the back on my head and with another hand tried to force chicken into my mouth.

I am still shocked by this. It was terrifying, he was so much stronger than me. He didn't succeed and after some moments of me struggling, he let go. He just stood there, looking defeated while I literally ran out of the kitchen and got some stuff and went to my parent's. I'm there now, it's been the better part of a week. He's agreed to move out: put up no fight for the flat or for us (which I wouldn't accept of course anyway). When we spoke on the phone to decide this, he sounded ashamed. Quiet. I hope he's ashamed.

I'll never know why he suddenly snapped about my vegetarianism and I frankly don't care anymore, he's obviously just a wanker to do that anyway. This past month or so has been so different to the test of our relationship, it's crazy, but there's no coming back from this. I'm well shot of him.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

people judge you all the time - about the car you drive, the clothes you wear, how you spend your free time, how fat/fit you are, your job, everything. the judgements you're sensitive to speak more to your personality than society

not to start a massive derail but i'm far more sympathetic to people of color who are judged constantly based on their outward appearance, something they can't do anything about with centuries of ugly history, than i am about twentysomething people making a personal decision not to have kids

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

myyyyyy sympathyyy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Who loving needs sympathy, oh your mom wants you to make a thing and you ain't planning on it, get the gently caress over you are self.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I honestly don't understand why the two are mutually exclusive or why you'd feel the need to shoehorn it in the convo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't know where you get it the idea that childfree don't preach their gospel because they do. Preaching is what makes them childfree.

It goes poorly but they try.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't know where you get it the idea that childfree don't preach their gospel because they do. Preaching is what makes them childfree.

It goes poorly but they try.

I mean just realworld examples, if you had to take a bet right now about which would happen first: someone would be weird about you not having children vs being weird about you having children what odds do you think it'd take for you to come out ahead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean just realworld examples, if you had to take a bet right now about which would happen first: someone would be weird about you not having children vs being weird about you having children what odds do you think it'd take for you to come out ahead.

I honestly don't care.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

I honestly don't care.

you're dodging the question, yeah some internet weirdos who resent people having kids exist but it's not like a thing commonly experienced by people in the realword or even something most people have run into even once outside the internet. Women being harassed over their choice to not have kids tho, that's basically 100%.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

i'm in the age bracket of people who start having kids, all of my peers are in the serious do it or dont phase of life. i know plenty of people who have decided not to have kids and are ok with it. i know a couple of people who are vocally childfree and are open in their dislike of children. they are also social weirdos

i guess in some rare circumstances people could face legit anxiety provoking social pressure to have kids, like if they're from a large family of church people or something, but most people don't have this level of pressure and really their childfree tendencies are rooted more in trying to deal with an active dislike of children (which is weird) or they're just second guessing their own decisions (also weird)

also some of it i'd bet is just delaying adulthood which, more power to you, but dont let it turn you into a weirdo

ArbitraryC posted:

Women being harassed over their choice to not have kids tho, that's basically 100%.

yeah uh women get harassed about far worse things, all of the time, everywhere

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

you're dodging the question, yeah some internet weirdos who resent people having kids exist but it's not like a thing commonly experienced by people in the realword or even something most people have run into even once outside the internet. Women being harassed over their choice to not have kids tho, that's basically 100%.

I am not dodging the question, I don't think it matters

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
look I just wanna say people who don't have kids are weirdos and also they're double weirdos for bein a bit anxious about people callin em weirdos. the weirdos

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
to clarify i'm talkin about weirdos (the ones who don't wanna have kids)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
*points towards a big rear end placard labeled Exhibit A*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

*points towards a big rear end placard labeled Exhibit A*