Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

warhammer651 posted:

Actually, you CAN jump and sprint, just not all the time. I spent that sequence stumbling around in a small circle near enemy groups until it let med dodge, then using the 5-6 seconds of sprint I got to run past them and out of aggro range

I found that even when limping along I could outrun the stubbies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I sometimes see a larger bit of orange added onto my life bar, or sometimes my life bar extending far past the edge of the screen. Will that ever be explained?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Sometimes I feel like I missed something, because (Route C) when people talk about this part where they have to move a hobbled 2B around I get confused because I don't remember it. You don't mean the part where basically 2B moves to where A2 is in front of the forest kingdom?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's right before she dies

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pollyanna posted:

I sometimes see a larger bit of orange added onto my life bar, or sometimes my life bar extending far past the edge of the screen. Will that ever be explained?

The first is the +Max HP effect from recovering an android corpse running out, afaict. The latter seems to be an "error" to indicate that something is messing with your character.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah it's right before she dies

That's funny because I had such little problem with that segment that it's confusing how there COULD be trouble with it. Like I basically remember moving her to that quest marker with zero difficulty.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That's funny because I had such little problem with that segment that it's confusing how there COULD be trouble with it. Like I basically remember moving her to that quest marker with zero difficulty.

Basically if you get punched by a medium you go flying like a cartoon character. If you fall into a pit because of this or get pushed into a corner by a mob then good luck.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

They literally gimp your controls ever 6 seconds, it's intended to be an exercise in frustration.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Paracelsus posted:

The first is the +Max HP effect from recovering an android corpse running out, afaict. The latter seems to be an "error" to indicate that something is messing with your character.

Oh. Duh. I was hoping I had stumbled upon some sort of hidden thing. Oh well.

By the way, is it safe to skip through the credits every time after the first? Like the whole "Hold O to skip" thing?

E: Never mind, answered my own question.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sometimes I feel like I missed something, because (Route C) when people talk about this part where they have to move a hobbled 2B around I get confused because I don't remember it. You don't mean the part where basically 2B moves to where A2 is in front of the forest kingdom?
It's one of those things where you can just get unlucky and really sucks to do twice.

My genius moment (route C spoiler): Using self-destruct in the bunker immediately after beating Eve in route B before saving

Opposing Farce posted:

You do a counter attack by pressing light attack, heavy attack, or pod fire during a perfect dodge. Every weapon type has a different counter move and your pod has one too, which is the explosion you mentioned. Launching into the air is the light sword counter.
Pod fire makes so much sense. Appreciated.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

tap my mountain posted:

They literally gimp your controls ever 6 seconds, it's intended to be an exercise in frustration.
Hilariously while that section felt completely trivial to me, i had to restart some shmup section like 7-8 times because it was in a plot segment where 1. the menu was locked and i couldn't change my chip loadouts to something appropriate and 2. the difficulty was still on hard and the shmup section always ended on a wave combination that overwhelmed me and instantly stunlock-oneshot me (and i couldn't lower the difficulty because of 1. ). Oddly personal difficulty spikes seem to be a thing.

Actually i think 80% of my deaths that felt frustrating came from setpiece sections that lock or disable access to the menu for significant periods of time. Anything else was me being careless or lazy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does the voice changer ever come into play? Or is it just for fun?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Hilariously while that section felt completely trivial to me, i had to restart some shmup section like 7-8 times because it was in a plot segment where 1. the menu was locked and i couldn't change my chip loadouts to something appropriate and 2. the difficulty was still on hard and the shmup section always ended on a wave combination that overwhelmed me and instantly stunlock-oneshot me (and i couldn't lower the difficulty because of 1. ). Oddly personal difficulty spikes seem to be a thing.

Actually i think 80% of my deaths that felt frustrating came from setpiece sections that lock or disable access to the menu for significant periods of time. Anything else was me being careless or lazy.

I barely managed to get through the one at the start of route B. I had very little restorative items from wasting em all on the final boss and I barely scrapped through with almost no health. I'm not sure what I could have done if I did get trapped there.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

tap my mountain posted:

I had the same frustrations as everyone else but I really appreciated this part after the fact. The whole time I was just thinking, "oh ok one of these video game gimp sections where you lose all your poo poo for dramatic effect and then get it back 5 minutes later, can I just get to the next part so I can go back to fighting?" And then 2B gets the chop permanently by A2 (whose story I thought would just be another retread of the same events again) and 9S is revealed as the real protagonist. It really honestly shocked me, and I think the gimp section set the scene. And the title card right after was perfect. People are talking about the late title card from the start of route B but THIS one is where it's at. I feel like it should've been the only one to really drive home the fact that this is where the real story begins.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is there some trick to beating the Speed Star robot? I managed to win the first race by the skin of my teeth but I can never quite beat him to the finish line in the second round.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
you can beat the final speed race with just having 20% run speed boost from chips(the max) through just being really effective at the running. You can also use the large speed booster item and apparently using the perfect dodge slows time chip makes the whole race a joke.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
So I'm like halfway through route B and I was just wondering If that cyber ghost in the cutscene after the Adam/Eve in the space ship fight has been in any scene before this or if this is the first time she shows up.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wordnumber posted:

So I'm like halfway through route B and I was just wondering If that cyber ghost in the cutscene after the Adam/Eve in the space ship fight has been in any scene before this or if this is the first time she shows up.

Pretty sure before that, because in some scene I thought I maybe saw something like it, but set it aside as just seeing things. I think it was around the giant ocean robot fight. But then there she was in the hangar and lol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Is there some trick to beating the Speed Star robot? I managed to win the first race by the skin of my teeth but I can never quite beat him to the finish line in the second round.

You can beat him in the first and second rounds just by topping up on Movement Speed and Evade Range chips, but the third requires creative thinking. Either abuse Speed Salves or, better yet, synthesize a high-level Overclock chip and dodge an enemy attack to make the world stop for a little while.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
so at the end of route C right now and
I think I just managed to remove all the drama by having Death Rattle installed when fighting the 2B clones. Nines is trying to be dramatic but the 2B's just keep screaming in that high pitched machine chipmunk voice and I can't stop giggling

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

You can beat him in the first and second rounds just by topping up on Movement Speed and Evade Range chips, but the third requires creative thinking. Either abuse Speed Salves or, better yet, synthesize a high-level Overclock chip and dodge an enemy attack to make the world stop for a little while.

Third fight you can also win just with speed boost chips

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Third fight you can also win just with speed boost chips

Yeah, but fuuuuck that

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Man, upgrading your pods is a pain in the rear end. I got one maxed, one at 3, and one at 2. Only got 88% of the pod plug-ins as well. Ugh.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the pure water requirment pretty much made me bother to go find cheat engine tables for this game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddamn this game rules. Just got to the part where you can switch between A2 and 9S, and there's a big fuckoff tower thing there now. I have to sleep but I gotta find out what happens.

Also lol @ Devola and Popola referencing their predecessors' insanity.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Something super minor I just figured out: You can go back down to the Copied City during Route C, there's a hackable chest with a Powerup Part M and a spot where you can fight infinitely spawning level 60 enemies down there.

e: Also, I'm up to 94% unit data and I'm pretty sure I just need literally one thing to hit 95%. Can anybody think of some easily missable enemies I might have overlooked that I can go track down?

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 29, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Opposing Farce posted:

Something super minor I just figured out: You can go back down to the Copied City during Route C, there's a hackable chest with a Powerup Part M and a spot where you can fight infinitely spawning level 60 enemies down there.

e: Also, I'm up to 94% unit data and I'm pretty sure I just need literally one thing to hit 95%. Can anybody think of some easily missable enemies I might have overlooked that I can go track down?

Most of the ones you've probably missed are weird rarespawns. If you go to the desert camp area and go to the far back left corner the enhanced tier stubbies or whatever usually spawn there. In the desert proper if you hug the right wall enhanced medium fliers with guns and explosives spawn on one of the cliff walls. If you don't have the small EMP biped (I missed it) just head down into the crater and bop one of the small dudes that chill near Engel's arm and wait for them to do the EMP move then kill them. And the enhanced reverse jointed goliath just spawns in the flooded city where the gun-armed machine usually is.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Wordnumber posted:

I saw it too! No idea what it means. :v:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Finished playing through from A to E for the second time, finishing I think 90% of the quests, and getting above 80% in most other areas so far. I never try to 100% games or even play through the story a second time, and even though I have Horizon: Zero Dawn waiting for me, I almost want to go through a third run, this time with all the gear and levels I've earned before, since I sacrificed my first Route E save to help other people.

Just finished doing endings F-Z (with the exeption of Y, since I think I need to do some grinding before I can even get there.) Some of those were so rough. Hurting Pascal over and over made me sad.

I kinda wish I had a PS3 so I could and play the original Nier. I'm guessing it's probably quite a bit different in term of gameplay, since it is not a Platinum game. But I think I'm on the Yoko Taro bandwagon now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Route B/C spoilers: The picture books you see in route B mention the "treasures", which appear to refer to some of the important robots (Forest King, Simone, and Grun) - the ones shown have icons, and one of the icons is a plant and the most prominent one is a cut-out heart like at the amusement park.

The resource recovery units appear where these robots were killed as well. I think each of these robots is somehow important to the narrative but I still don't really get it or what the treasures were supposed to be. They seem to be important to be part of what's sent to the moon though.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Section 9 posted:

I kinda wish I had a PS3 so I could and play the original Nier. I'm guessing it's probably quite a bit different in term of gameplay, since it is not a Platinum game. But I think I'm on the Yoko Taro bandwagon now.

It's not quite the same as playing, and you might find their sense of humor to be excessively juvenile, but I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ynpA5rGEo to get ready for Automata, and was pretty entertained; they go through all the endings, and the LPer who isn't on the controls provides color commentary from Drakengard as they go.

The only reason I recommend the LP route is because the original Nier looks really great, but I found the actual gameplay to be extremely janky at times. Watching someone else beast through it removes the frustration entirely.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

No Wave posted:

Route B/C spoilers: The picture books you see in route B mention the "treasures", which appear to refer to some of the important robots (Forest King, Simone, and Grun) - the ones shown have icons, and one of the icons is a plant and the most prominent one is a cut-out heart like at the amusement park.

The resource recovery units appear where these robots were killed as well. I think each of these robots is somehow important to the narrative but I still don't really get it or what the treasures were supposed to be. They seem to be important to be part of what's sent to the moon though.

C Spoiler: The 'treasures' are basically enumerations on the different little communities the machines put together to slow their progress / experiment

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No Wave posted:

The one compelling theory I've seen is that the "treasures" represent the different ways in which the various robot communities splintered in their attempts to become more human: the desert represents Love, Pascal's village represents Peace, etc.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

RoadCrewWorker posted:

There's no 8bit version of the Copied City theme is there

:(

There is, of the boss theme only

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Opposing Farce posted:

There's also an additional resource collector there sometimes, near where the boss arena was. Sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't. Might be a weird bug, but it looks intentional/not like a glitch. Doesn't make much narrative sense though, maybe there was a point where 9S would explore a fourth one but it got cut?

If you haven't done the superbosses yet, they count. So do the golden challenge fights that appear in sequence. If you're not just doing the quest and actually want 100%, every palette swap or alternate costume for an enemy counts separately and several only appear at certain chapters in the game, often in out of the way places... so good luck.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 29, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man, I've been a fan of Nier for a long, long time now as well as Drakengard games (despite not playing them) and I've always wished more people would give the original NieR a chance via playing it themselves or reading a LP. I'd sit down and talk to friends about it, chat it up but like... it was just so danged niche.

It's actually kinda freaking me out a little to see Automata explode like it has. Going into a Dark Souls video and reading WOAH THATS SOME NIER TYPE poo poo is just surreal as all hell.

I can only imagine how Taro feels

Vermain posted:

The one compelling theory I've seen is that the "treasures" represent the different ways in which the various robot communities splintered in their attempts to become more human: the desert represents Love, Pascal's village represents Peace, etc.

Considering the shape of the love robot in those sequences and it being alone when they talk about Adam's "hate" I'm 100% sure that's wrong and it's just talking about Simone. Like the cutout even has her dress and everything.

I think that the machines can share their treasures and build off them but each one has their own unique shape.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 29, 2017

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Omi no Kami posted:

It's not quite the same as playing, and you might find their sense of humor to be excessively juvenile, but I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ynpA5rGEo to get ready for Automata, and was pretty entertained; they go through all the endings, and the LPer who isn't on the controls provides color commentary from Drakengard as they go.

The only reason I recommend the LP route is because the original Nier looks really great, but I found the actual gameplay to be extremely janky at times. Watching someone else beast through it removes the frustration entirely.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I think I've watched a couple things from them before and wasn't too terribly irritated. I really do want to get the story more than play the game. Deadly Premonition was a joy to watch, but I did actually try playing it once and nope.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I think these were linked here before but these are pretty good "movie" versions of the game and do a decent job. Since the guy includes all the dialogue during missions you get to see some gameplay here and there.

Drakengard 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkmtlWhn_20

Drakengard 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eUSiPgb2wE

Nier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fishmFc5Ntk

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

please actually play video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Considering the shape of the love robot in those sequences and it being alone when they talk about Adam's "hate" I'm 100% sure that's wrong and it's just talking about Simone. Like the cutout even has her dress and everything.

I think that the machines can share their treasures and build off them but each one has their own unique shape.

It says "one fell in love with her own beauty", so yeah you're 100% correct. The cut-out heart is very much highlighted in the amusement park area as well, it's definitely her motif.

The treasures might represent robots actually somehow finding a will to live independent of humanity. This is something Pascal couldn't teach his robot kids, as they all killed themselves as soon as they got afraid. It also highlights the distinction between Adam and Eve - Adam basically offs himself almost immediately but Eve's got a lot more attachment to life in him. It contrasts the difference in tone between "fight for the forest king" and "die and become gods", the perverted version of it.

There are references later on to the machines resembling plants in terms of structure, indicating that they're actually becoming lifeforms on their own terms. The odd part is what this means for Part D - as soon as the machines properly find reasons to exist, they shoot themselves to the moon?