Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

ME1 hasn't aged well but definitely sets the universe. Character-wise, everyone is kind of pigeonholed and doesn't really break out that much.

ME2 has the best characters and still holds together as a shooty-actiony game.

ME3 has the best gameplay and would have been okay storywise had ME2 not set an insurmountable bar. The moments in ME3 where they actually tie up character plotlines are some of the best parts of the entire series, but you have to wade through too much SPACE NINJA KAI LENG to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

can anyone explain the ending of 3 to me

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://store.steampowered.com/app/418240

anyone play this yet?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What's your favorite color?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Okay. So, all the way through ME3, Shep has PTSD-visions of a little kid he failed to save on Earth, along with all of the crewmembers you've lost along the way. Never mind that as Shepard, you've genocided at least one species and killed god-knows-how-many fuckers at this point, the little kid makes you start to lose it.

The game keeps referencing the Crucible as the Macguffin that will destroy the Reapers. However, to make the Crucible work requires the "Catalyst", which is unknown, and "War Assets", which are basically "Did you do enough sidequests?".

You fight your way through Reaper-controlled Earth and make it onto the Citadel, which is actually the Catalyst.

Once there, you're met by the AI that controls the Reapers, in the appearance of the chubby kid you failed to save. The holographic kid explains that the Reapers are just extensions of an AI dedicated to preserving organic life by destroying galactic civilizations that have advanced to the point to make self-aware AIs, since self-aware AIs will inevitably destroy organic life. The Reapers are actually good because they preserve a few species by turning them into Reaper-goo and don't kill non-civilized species so that they can advance along predetermined Reaper technology-lines and repeat the cycle.

But since you're the first galactic civilization to actually finish the Catalyst, you're sufficiently awesome enough to choose.

A: Destroy all the Reapers and gently caress up their mass relay technology, putting everybody in the proverbial Dark Ages again. This is bad because then organic life will just eventually create new AIs which will kill all organic life. You get a big red lens flare if you choose this one.

B: Control the Reapers and make them gently caress off. This is bad because then organic life will just eventually create new AIs which will kill all organic life. You get a big blue lens flare if you choose this one.

C: If you got enough WAR ASSETS, you can SYNTHESIZE organic and synthetic life, making everyone live in harmony since everybody is now part organic/part synthetic, and then everybody can life in harmony forever. You get a big green lens flare if you choose this one. This is the ending that the lead writer wanted you to pick.

D: If you say "gently caress this" to the other options, you can refuse, the Reapers win, and eventually another species somewhere down the line defeats the Reapers by picking one of the correct choices.

Shep dies regardless and the galaxy is safe, and later on, an old guy voiced by Buzz Aldrin finishes a story and that snot-nosed little kid voice pipes up again asking for more stories about The Shepard.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 28, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can spend the whole god drat trilogy buttering the Geth up and making significant progress only to be told "lol yeah they'll just turn on you eventually for no reason so it doesn't matter"

gently caress those endings. At no point in the game did they actually make the case for what they're saying AI will inevitably do.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

It's speculated that the dark energy plotline they briefly hint at in ME2 during Tali's recruitment mission was going to be the reason behind the Reapers' motivations, i.e, the mass effect and biotic fields don't actually violate physics, they just gently caress with physics in such a way that adds additional entropy to the universe in a destructive fashion. The Reapers would show up and cull species that advanced too far technologically in order to keep the entire universe from unraveling.

Naturally, this got dumped in favor of transhumanist bullshit and making machines to be OOGA BOOGA GONNA KILL YOU even when the Geth turn out to be actual bros, some of whom happened to follow their other machine bros.

It's even worse when you consider the precise series of events you need to achieve peace between the Quarians and Geth:

In ME2, you have to save both Tali and Legion. You can't let Tali get exiled during her trial, even if doing so doesn't cost you loyalty and the Quarians are dicks anyway. You can't rewrite the Geth in Legion's loyalty mission, even though the game makes this out to be the best option. You have to make peace between them when they get into a pissing match on the Normandy.

In ME3, you have to do all of the Geth missions and you have to sacrifice the Quarian civilians by rescuing the piece of poo poo admiral who doesn't know what he's doing.

And on top of all this, you have to pass a reputation check.

In order to get the satisfying ending, you have to basically do the opposite of how you think things should work when you're presented with a choice.

If you have to choose, go with Legion. Quarians are space gypsy assholes and Geth are your real broskis.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Looks like the old Commandos games but set in Japan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Just spent like two hours playing London Heist, and most of that just replaying the getaway level. Oh poo poo VR is gonna be loving dope finally. I giggled like a goddamned schoolgirl when I realized I could stick my head out the window and look behind our van...and again when I opened the door in the middle of it. The PSVR headset was surprisingly comfortable, especially since I was wearing glasses. And I'm legit surprised the cables were long enough for my living room setup.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

redneck nazgul posted:

It's speculated that the dark energy plotline they briefly hint at in ME2 during Tali's recruitment mission was going to be the reason behind the Reapers' motivations, i.e, the mass effect and biotic fields don't actually violate physics, they just gently caress with physics in such a way that adds additional entropy to the universe in a destructive fashion. The Reapers would show up and cull species that advanced too far technologically in order to keep the entire universe from unraveling.

This was really funny because "dark energy" was in like every other line in ME2 and then it got completely forgotten in 3.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Buca di Bepis posted:

You can spend the whole god drat trilogy buttering the Geth up and making significant progress only to be told "lol yeah they'll just turn on you eventually for no reason so it doesn't matter"

gently caress those endings. At no point in the game did they actually make the case for what they're saying AI will inevitably do.

Just because past cycles of galactic life and death all ended with machines going nuts doesn't mean that this one would. The Citadel can run all the holo-kiddo guilt trips it wants, burn that poo poo to the ground and start over. The whole trilogy up to that point gave ample opportunities to show that the Reapers were wrong about their worldview.

While I wish that the player's choices had more of an effect on the ending, I was completely okay with the destruction ending, where Shepard dies to save the galaxy. I'd go so far as to say that made it the best ending, in my opinion. Sure, there were other options that would let you escape alive, but if you really wanted to put down the Reaper threat for good, without any chance that they'd break free again or indoctrinate you or whatever, you had to be willing to die in the process. Not in the heat of the moment, not in a gunfight gone bad. You, as Shepard, had to stand there and choose to die so that everybody else could live. And as soon as you (the player) make that choice, the cutscene kicks in with Shepard advancing on the target, magdumping, and all the while having flashbacks to happier times with the crew of the Normandy. Games aren't usually that daring.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 28, 2017

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Ringed city is hard. And cool as hell so far.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Ringed city is hard. And cool as hell so far.

o gently caress it dropped already? shiiiiit, gonna put my ds1 playthru on hold right before o&s again

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
ME2 rules I'm playing it and I just kicked some merc off a skyscraper and sassed him with a :krad: action movie burn on his way down. I'd be fuckin happy if I could play Andromeda with girl Ryder's idiot moonface but renegade femshep's ruthless styles. Not holding out hope for the dialogue though.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 28, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

ME2 rules I'm playing it and I just kicked some merc off a skyscraper and sassed him with a :krad: action movie burn on his way down. I'd be fuckin happy if I could play Andromeda with girl Ryder's idiot moonface but renegade femshep's ruthless styles. Not holding out hope for the dialogue though.

Renegade Femshep is the greatest :swoon:

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G8f4m2y9_k

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 28, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

WRONG
for the interrogation you delay until the lawyer gets there then let slip you're a Spectre and watch him lose his poo poo

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Two Finger posted:

WRONG
for the interrogation you delay until the lawyer gets there then let slip you're a Spectre and watch him lose his poo poo

OH snap, you can do that?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Arc Light posted:

Just because past cycles of galactic life and death all ended with machines going nuts doesn't mean that this one would. The Citadel can run all the holo-kiddo guilt trips it wants, burn that poo poo to the ground and start over. The whole trilogy up to that point gave ample opportunities to show that the Reapers were wrong about their worldview.

While I wish that the player's choices had more of an effect on the ending, I was completely okay with the destruction ending, where Shepard dies to save the galaxy. I'd go so far as to say that made it the best ending, in my opinion. Sure, there were other options that would let you escape alive, but if you really wanted to put down the Reaper threat for good, without any chance that they'd break free again or indoctrinate you or whatever, you had to be willing to die in the process. Not in the heat of the moment, not in a gunfight gone bad. You, as Shepard, had to stand there and choose to die so that everybody else could live. And as soon as you (the player) make that choice, the cutscene kicks in with Shepard advancing on the target, magdumping, and all the while having flashbacks to happier times with the crew of the Normandy. Games aren't usually that daring.

That's only in the original release. In the extended versions, the Destroy ending is the only one where Shepard lives. With Control, he maintains his consciousness but is detached from humanity. With Synthesis he truly dies to facilitate the union of organic and synthetic life.

EDI and the Geth made me lean toward Synthesis, because ALL synthetic life is destroyed with the Destroy option. But my bro Garrus and Tali (who has a pretty heart wrenching goodbye if she's your romantic option and you bring her in the final assault) made me want Shep to live via Destroy.

Like I said...unsatisfying.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Derek Dominoe posted:

That's only in the original release. In the extended versions, the Destroy ending is the only one where Shepard lives. With Control, he maintains his consciousness but is detached from humanity. With Synthesis he truly dies to facilitate the union of organic and synthetic life.

EDI and the Geth made me lean toward Synthesis, because ALL synthetic life is destroyed with the Destroy option. But my bro Garrus and Tali (who has a pretty heart wrenching goodbye if she's your romantic option and you bring her in the final assault) made me want Shep to live via Destroy.

Like I said...unsatisfying.

stop misgendering sheppard :catstare:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

stop misgendering sheppard :catstare:

Behead all who don't play as Femshep.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Missionary Positron posted:

Behead all who don't play as Femshep.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Nier Automata was p gud

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

o gently caress it dropped already? shiiiiit, gonna put my ds1 playthru on hold right before o&s again

I've heard to absolutely make sure you beat the first DLC before the new one. Apparently when you beat the new one, it's obvious why.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
I forgot how adorable Grunt's Shadow Broker dossier is:

:3:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Legion's is probably my favorite:

quote:

Gamer Profile for Infiltrait0rN7

Galaxy of Fantasy:
Most Used Character: John Smith, Level 612 Ardat-Yakshi Necromancer
Group Affiliation: N/A
Most Recent Boss Defeated: K'l'rh, Rachni Blood Wizard
Awards:
- Best Supporter/Healer (Event: Scourge of the Thresher Dragon)
- Best Unit Efficiency (Event: Return of the Cyber-Protheans)
- Winner (Event: Crystal Genophage Elimination Platinum)
Infractions:
- Suspected use of VI play assistance (direct control of twenty-seven pets without use of behavior macros); challenged and overturned
- Suspected use of VI play assistance (reaction time better than possible for organics); challenged and overturned
- Suspected use of hacking for direct server access (tactics better than possible without knowledge of underlying code behavior); challenged and overturned
- Unsportsmanlike behavior (taunting during Crystal Genophage Elimination Platinum); accepted 3-day account suspension

N7 Code of Honor: Medal of Duty:
Player Score: 15,999,999,999 (max)
Most Preferred Class: Sniper
Least Preferred Class: Melee
Sniper Rifle Kills: 200,917 since last server reset
Shotgun Kills: 3

Grim Terminus Alliance:
Award: Abolitionist (Complete full playthrough without any slave kills, free all slaves encountered)
Award: Cure for What Ails You (Kill 100+ quarians)

Geth Attack: Eden Prime Fundraising Edition:
Donation Level: Ultra Platinum
Player Score: 0 (Purchased but not played)

Fleet and Flotilla: Interactive Cross-Species Relationship Simulator:
"Based on the Bestselling Vid!"
Playtime: 75 hours, 6 minutes
Player Score: 15 (Hopeless)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh sweet remastered Planescape torment coming out April 11

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
It's looking pretty interesting, all the touch ups on the writing were done by Avellone himself.

http://planescape.com/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Two Finger posted:

Oh sweet remastered Planescape torment coming out April 11

Good. Even with fan patches the original was a tremendous pain in the rear end to play through on Windows 7 since it had a lot of really bad crash bugs.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
that moment when you beat a duo boss by yourself after using all your healing and youre all pumped about how cool you are, then it powers up to its next form :negative:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

that moment when you beat a duo boss by yourself after using all your healing and youre all pumped about how cool you are, then it powers up to its next form :negative:

:darksouls:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJDq0NmI9w

:darksouls:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

What just happened to me too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmao that's some bullshit

i hate phased bosses

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The best part is you going to emote at the boss all smug and poo poo a second before he stands back up to gently caress you

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Eve Valkyrie is a fun space dogfight game. :)

First few seconds of the tutorial I just sat there and rolled while staring out the cockpit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I felt like that game could have been so much more. All the elements are there. Decent graphics, decent flight controls, it's just extremely lacking. Definitely feels rushed to fill the VR hype.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Godholio posted:

Eve Valkyrie is a fun space dogfight game. :)

First few seconds of the tutorial I just sat there and rolled while staring out the cockpit.

If you're on PC as opposed to PSVR, take a look at Enemy Starfighter House of the Dying Sun, it's really good in VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I felt like that game could have been so much more. All the elements are there. Decent graphics, decent flight controls, it's just extremely lacking. Definitely feels rushed to fill the VR hype.

Agreed, but the devs have been fixing it as they go. The drat thing shipped without being able to remap buttons ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It is a cool feeling to feel like you're flying a viper from Battlestar Galactica. The only show or movie to portray space battle as it likely would appear?