Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
After the knee jerk reaction to hating on LOGH after Zorak left I would be down with a resurgence of "hey this show is actually pretty cool".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nate RFB posted:

After the knee jerk reaction to hating on LOGH after Zorak left I would be down with a resurgence of "hey this show is actually pretty cool".

:same:

I've never seen anything like it outside of reading a book. It's good, too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I always figured it was because it became like Game of Thrones was in TBB years ago; the default, blanket recommendation even when it doesn't fit (the most egregious case of this I recall seeing: it being recommended to someone who enjoyed Kyousogiga and wanted more like it).

Doesn't really happen any more thankfully and heck maybe when that new project they announced forever ago sees the light of day there will be more positivity about the series.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Nate RFB posted:

I dunno. I have a feeling people are going to a lot less sympathetic towards cockey, blond authoritarian leaders for a while now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Reinhard is competent though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
LOGH has nasty pacing issues and too many POV characters taking away screen time from the handful who are actually interesting.

I watched about a season of it, so I can't in good faith say it's awful or anything, but having made it that far I realized that I didn't give a poo poo about anything or anyone except Yang Wenli and the reporter(?) lady pushing for reforms and dropped it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The pacing is what it is, for good or bad. It's absolutely a story that seemed aware of how much room it would have to breath and thus was more than comfortable acting as a slow burn to get there. The first season essentially sets the stage for Reinhard and Yang to assume their positions of power and thus have a footing to go at each other from that point forward.

The POV stuff works itself out a bit too in that lesser/incompetent people inevitably get killed off or put on a bus.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Yona from a few posts back, it is quite good though I think your enjoyment of it will depend somewhat on how you much you enjoy reverse harems. I think that people who either enjoy reverse harems or aren't familiar with them will probably be able to enjoy it the most (though almost anyone would still probably like it at least some). The former for obvious reasons, and the latter because I think a lot of reverse harem/shoujo tropes will just go over the head of someone who isn't already familiar with them (since they don't tend to be as obvious and in your face as the T&A you see in shounen harems). Hak is very much "50+% of all shoujo love interests ever", for example.

I feel like overall Twelve Kingdoms is a better example of a "historical fantasy with female protagonist" story, but I would would still recommend both of them. Twelve Kingdoms is quite exceptional and one of very few anime/manga with a female protagonist that doesn't have any romantic elements to speak of that I can think of. Many shoujo fantasy manga/anime feel more like "romance/reverse harems within the trappings of fantasy" rather than the other way around, and I think that both Yona and 12 Kingdoms manage to prioritize the plot over the romance, though the "girl surrounded by hot guys who are into her" stuff is definitely a significant element of the former.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

:same:

I've never seen anything like it outside of reading a book. It's good, too.

It is an adaptation of a series of novels. Not even light novels, either, but the regular, good kind of novel. They're translating them into English and three of the eleven volumes have been released.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Yona from a few posts back, it is quite good though I think your enjoyment of it will depend somewhat on how you much you enjoy reverse harems. I think that people who either enjoy reverse harems or aren't familiar with them will probably be able to enjoy it the most (though almost anyone would still probably like it at least some). The former for obvious reasons, and the latter because I think a lot of reverse harem/shoujo tropes will just go over the head of someone who isn't already familiar with them (since they don't tend to be as obvious and in your face as the T&A you see in shounen harems). Hak is very much "50+% of all shoujo love interests ever", for example.

I feel like overall Twelve Kingdoms is a better example of a "historical fantasy with female protagonist" story, but I would would still recommend both of them. Twelve Kingdoms is quite exceptional and one of very few anime/manga with a female protagonist that doesn't have any romantic elements to speak of that I can think of. Many shoujo fantasy manga/anime feel more like "romance/reverse harems within the trappings of fantasy" rather than the other way around, and I think that both Yona and 12 Kingdoms manage to prioritize the plot over the romance, though the "girl surrounded by hot guys who are into her" stuff is definitely a significant element of the former.
You're preaching to the choir when it comes to singing the praises of Twelve Kingdoms; it still remains one of the best anime (or novel, since I read a bunch of those too) stories I've seen, fantasy or otherwise. The main reason why I, in 2017, kind of feel a bit more strongly about Yona is that it is woefully disappointing how incomplete the story is at present and how likely it is that that will indefinitely remain the case. The good news is that Youko's story is, more or less, finished, so if you can kind of just put the Taiki parts out of your mind then you're golden. But that arc in the middle as it currently exists is so frustrating, and even though I've read the unanimated follow-up book it still leaves you feeling wanting.

14 years ago when Twelve Kingdoms was airing I probably would not have cared because there was always the promise of seeing more, but I've had to come to peace with that clearly not being the case.

It's still really loving good though!!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I would be ok with Twelve Kingdoms becoming the new blanket recommendation show.

At the very least, it's a whole lot more palatable for a wider audience than LOGH. My issue with the dozen episodes of it that I watched was that, as competent a story as it was, it was just never entertaining. There weren't any core themes for me to be interested in, nor was the setting interesting enough in its own right to want to see more of it. It's a show that only really works if you get attached to and invested in the characters involved, but none of them did that for me. The only reason I watched up to a dozen or so episodes was because of how fanatically people would recommend it.

Ytlaya posted:

That makes sense, thinking back on it. As someone who does not give the slightest poo poo about harems, none of that interested me, so I guess I was doomed to not like it. Shame, because it has good ideas.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

You're preaching to the choir when it comes to singing the praises of Twelve Kingdoms; it still remains one of the best anime (or novel, since I read a bunch of those too) stories I've seen, fantasy or otherwise. The main reason why I, in 2017, kind of feel a bit more strongly about Yona is that it is woefully disappointing how incomplete the story is at present and how likely it is that that will indefinitely remain the case. The good news is that Youko's story is, more or less, finished, so if you can kind of just put the Taiki parts out of your mind then you're golden. But that arc in the middle as it currently exists is so frustrating, and even though I've read the unanimated follow-up book it still leaves you feeling wanting.

14 years ago when Twelve Kingdoms was airing I probably would not have cared because there was always the promise of seeing more, but I've had to come to peace with that clearly not being the case.

It's still really loving good though!!

The good Twelve Kingdoms news (which you probably already know) is that the final novel in Taiki's story is currently being written, and it's supposedly much longer than any of the others.

The bad news is that it was originally intended to be released in mid-2016, but was delayed due to Fuyumi Ono's health. A recent update stated: "Spring of 2017 is in the air and we humbly ask you to wait just a little while longer."

The other bad news is that, regardless of size, it will take forever to get a full translation.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Moribito is my other go to suggestion for female protagonists and everything about it is fantastic. I'd have a bad time if someone asked me to choose between that and Twelve Kingdoms.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I want a Mecha show where the robots feel as big and weighty as possible. The ground buckles and quakes with their footsteps. I don't care if they're slow or fast, super or real. Just give me the meaty bots. Like that one episode of Samurai Jack.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mimir posted:

I want a Mecha show where the robots feel as big and weighty as possible. The ground buckles and quakes with their footsteps. I don't care if they're slow or fast, super or real. Just give me the meaty bots. Like that one episode of Samurai Jack.

What you want is Patlabor.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
or The Big O, if you've never seen that

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheEye posted:

The good Twelve Kingdoms news (which you probably already know) is that the final novel in Taiki's story is currently being written, and it's supposedly much longer than any of the others.

The bad news is that it was originally intended to be released in mid-2016, but was delayed due to Fuyumi Ono's health. A recent update stated: "Spring of 2017 is in the air and we humbly ask you to wait just a little while longer."

The other bad news is that, regardless of size, it will take forever to get a full translation.
No, that just passed me by! Very nice. I'll be sure to read it but I'll also not hold my breath. I read through all of the content that I believe you posted in one of these threads a long while back, except for I think the final short story collection because the translation for that seemed remarkably worse than the rest on that site.

Speaking of old novel series getting attention again, I wonder what's going on with Banner of the Stars... IIRC that at least has sporadically still had new volumes released every now and then.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Mimir posted:

There's less focus on the robots than you might think from the title, but Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Blanket recommendation should be Tatami galaxy imo. That show is just so good.

I would only recommend logh to a very specific type of enormous nerd.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Splode posted:

Blanket recommendation should be Tatami galaxy imo. That show is just so good.

I would only recommend logh to a very specific type of enormous nerd.

The problem with Tatami Galaxy is that it's got a very odd sense of style and a breakneck pace, so it's a hard sell for a blanket rec. To clarify, those aren't bad things. They are just things that not everyone will like.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I don't think that there should be a blanket recommendation at all. That's the point of this thread.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i recommend a blanket while you watch anime

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mimir posted:

I second Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It just occurred to me Im still only 1/4 through Legend of Galactic Heroes since you guys gave me the recommendation like... 9 months ago? Its really long and slow and I can only handle it in small bursts. But its been pretty good, especially considering its age.

Im in the mood for something with a good industrial or metal soundtrack. The show itself doesnt need to be mind blowingly good or anything, just acceptable is fine as long as the music is great.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I haven't actually watched it, but I feel like Death Metal City might be your thing. That said, I don't know how much of actual metal music there is in it.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

No, that just passed me by! Very nice. I'll be sure to read it but I'll also not hold my breath. I read through all of the content that I believe you posted in one of these threads a long while back, except for I think the final short story collection because the translation for that seemed remarkably worse than the rest on that site.

Oh yeah, that guy has pretty awful English. I don't think I managed to get through everything he wrote either, though he never actually finished. Here's hoping Eugene is up to translate the last Taiki novel when it's out, even though he won't do the other short stories.

For anyone else interested in the Twelve Kingdoms novels, here's my anime/novel guide if you're as confused as I used to be.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 30, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Furnaceface posted:

It just occurred to me Im still only 1/4 through Legend of Galactic Heroes since you guys gave me the recommendation like... 9 months ago? Its really long and slow and I can only handle it in small bursts. But its been pretty good, especially considering its age.
Have you reached the end of the first season? poo poo Happens there, that affects the entire rest of the series.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Im in the mood for something with a good industrial or metal soundtrack. The show itself doesnt need to be mind blowingly good or anything, just acceptable is fine as long as the music is great.

Cybernetics Guardian

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
One Punch Man is so fresh and fun. I'm really enjoying everything so far about this show. Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eela6 posted:

One Punch Man is so fresh and fun. I'm really enjoying everything so far about this show. Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Once you're done with that, might as well check out Mob Psycho 100. It's by the same author and has a similar setup, though it definitely travels its own path.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheEye posted:

Since it isn't clear from just this post, though, 12 Kingdoms basically went without any new content from 2001-2013, so there isn't really much content that wasn't already adapted into the anime (and I think a lack of content is why the anime ended sort of abruptly). I remember being really upset about this, because I was under the false impression that there was a bunch more novel content and that the anime was cancelled for some other reason.

The setting is such a great fantasy setting that it's a huge bummer it looks like, even with this new novel, it probably won't get a lot more content.

One other interesting tidbit is that Sugimoto and Asano do not come with Youko in the novels. I don't think Asano exists at all, and Sugimoto apparently has some really minor role that just exists to help illustrate Youko's personality while in Japan. I was surprised to find this out, because I actually thought both characters were integrated quite well into the story. In particular I liked Asano's "suddenly going to a fantasy world without any 'protagonist powers' would totally blow and make you a miserable misanthrope" subplot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The anime missed out on one more major Taiki novel (though that still didn't finish that story) and a neat story about Shushou (the ruler of Kyou). Though I'm not 100% certain both were out by the time the anime aired. I vaguely remember 12 Kingdoms being a show that had its episode count reduced mid-production? If so it probably would have at the very least included the other Taiki story.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Since it isn't clear from just this post, though, 12 Kingdoms basically went without any new content from 2001-2013, so there isn't really much content that wasn't already adapted into the anime (and I think a lack of content is why the anime ended sort of abruptly). I remember being really upset about this, because I was under the false impression that there was a bunch more novel content and that the anime was cancelled for some other reason.

The setting is such a great fantasy setting that it's a huge bummer it looks like, even with this new novel, it probably won't get a lot more content.

One other interesting tidbit is that Sugimoto and Asano do not come with Youko in the novels. I don't think Asano exists at all, and Sugimoto apparently has some really minor role that just exists to help illustrate Youko's personality while in Japan. I was surprised to find this out, because I actually thought both characters were integrated quite well into the story. In particular I liked Asano's "suddenly going to a fantasy world without any 'protagonist powers' would totally blow and make you a miserable misanthrope" subplot.

Nate RFB posted:

The anime missed out on one more major Taiki novel (though that still didn't finish that story) and a neat story about Shushou (the ruler of Kyou). Though I'm not 100% certain both were out by the time the anime aired. I vaguely remember 12 Kingdoms being a show that had its episode count reduced mid-production? If so it probably would have at the very least included the other Taiki story.

All the novels and short stories except the latest one were out at the time the anime was produced, but the anime still went on hiatus to wait for additional content and was later canceled. I'm not sure why they decided not to produce the extra 25 episodes that were planned, but perhaps they were afraid of the huge cliffhanger if they adapted The Shore in Twilight, the Sky at Daybreak and wanted a real resolution. Still, those extra books and short stories are all great if you haven't read them yet. (I didn't post this stuff here but I wrote about it at the link in my previous post.)

Many people don't realize that Sugimoto and Asano are anime-only characters, but indeed, they were created because Youko thinks and talks to herself a lot in the first book and it's difficult to make that a compelling anime season. They were supposed to represent different aspects of herself as she struggled with the situation she was dropped into.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

The pacing is what it is, for good or bad. It's absolutely a story that seemed aware of how much room it would have to breath and thus was more than comfortable acting as a slow burn to get there. The first season essentially sets the stage for Reinhard and Yang to assume their positions of power and thus have a footing to go at each other from that point forward.

The POV stuff works itself out a bit too in that lesser/incompetent people inevitably get killed off or put on a bus.

I think the pacing and tropes put off a lot of people from LOGH because it is a very unanime anime. There isn't crazy power levels or over exaggeration of every possible emotion you see in other anime to an emotional reaction from you. So a lot of times you don't really feel emotionally invested into whats happening. Its more about over arching themes like Imperialism vs Democracy and two characters path to success in their career as generals.

In some way it reminds me more of a western tv drama like or space opera like Star Trek but on a bigger scale because its animated. It has the same pace as a lot of those type of shows. A lot of talking happens, backstory, characters motives, bunch of different perspectives etc...

I would never recommend LOGH to someone just because they said they like Anime. LOGH is really a show you have to develop a taste for to enjoy. Its like watching foreign movies or art house movies its not for everyone but if you get deep into any medium eventually you develop way more specific tastes and like things that are more unique.

This kinda reminds of when people say they love anime but have only seen Ghibli movies. A lot of Ghibli movies are very distant from anime that airs on tv. They have different art style, different tones and actually seem more like a pixar movie with Japanese myths/legends.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Ulio posted:

LOGH because it is a very unanime anime.

Thats also why so many people like it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

I think the pacing and tropes put off a lot of people from LOGH because it is a very unanime anime.

Being "un-anime" can mean a whole lot of things. I would describe it as a low-key, large-scale, long-form space opera, which at the end of the day is a rather specific kind of show. It's not something made with broad appeal in mind.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

ViggyNash posted:

Once you're done with that, might as well check out Mob Psycho 100. It's by the same author and has a similar setup, though it definitely travels its own path.

I am watching it right now! The visual style was hard to get into at first but now I am really enjoying it.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I just spent 4 days reading all of Battle Angel Alita.

Is The Last Order worth reading?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A huge, obnoxious portion of it is tied up in a no kidding tournament arc that gets away from a lot of what made the first Alita series interesting. But there's enough, juuuuuuust enough in there for the story that as a Alita fan I still felt glad I read it. By the end it was just fine again and its own sequel/prequel (Mars Chronicle) has been stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
And they still haven't released the last loving Omnibus Edition of Last Order :argh:.