Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

I dunno I'd say 1940 was a pretty bad time for it.
1940 was a great time to start a small business in the alternative import/export sector.

e: 1948 stops being a good time to be in the under the counter bread trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jBrereton posted:

Yeah and they came to the 100% correct conclusion lol

No, it failed remember.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
#firstworldproblems time!

The station I park at every morning doesn't have enough parking for the number of people who want to park there. So lots of people park outside lined bays, but they aren't dicks about it. They ensure everyone else can get out, and that there's enough room for people to get past, and so on. The station attendant is fully aware of this and happy for us to do it.

This morning I got to the station and there were no spaces left in parked bays. I explicitly asked the station attendant whether I could park outside a bay and got told yes. However, he leaves at 11am. Now, according to a friend, I have a ticket, presumably issued sometime after he left.

If I refuse to pay on the grounds that I was told by the stationmaster that I was fine to park there, will I get anywhere?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

The European Parliament has leaked its initial stance on the Brexit negotiations: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/29/first-eu-response-to-article-50-takes-tough-line-on-transitional-deal

Basically, "you will suffer if you go through with this idiocy, but you can back out at any time."

I think the important part is that it's “subject to conditions set by all EU27 so they cannot be used as a procedural device or abused in an attempt to improve the actual terms of the United Kingdom’s membership”, so good luck backing out without getting your balls busted.

Not that the list of conditions there combined with the Tories' suicide bomber approach to the Brexit negotiations doesn't already add up to a pretty solid risk of future testicular destruction, of course.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Or starting a slave-trading business in early 1833.

Well, uh, given the Atlantic slave trade was abolished in 1807, I would say so, yes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Judging from the amount of people I've heard saying "I want us to just be out now why does it take two years" I doubt anything bad will happen to Tory polling during this.
And I live in a Remain area!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

I was hoping someone could clarify things with a computer game analogy

Have you played Bioshock: Infinite?

Like that, but more rain.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Zephro posted:

The station I park at every morning doesn't have enough parking for the number of people who want to park there. So lots of people park outside lined bays, but they aren't dicks about it. They ensure everyone else can get out, and that there's enough room for people to get past, and so on. The station attendant is fully aware of this and happy for us to do it.

This morning I got to the station and there were no spaces left in parked bays. I explicitly asked the station attendant whether I could park outside a bay and got told yes. However, he leaves at 11am. Now, according to a friend, I have a ticket, presumably issued sometime after he left.

If I refuse to pay on the grounds that I was told by the stationmaster that I was fine to park there, will I get anywhere?

That depends if they've clamped you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zephro posted:

If its a private parking fine and you're not clamped you don't have to pay it because they have no way to enforce it. If its a council ticket you're hosed most likely

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Taear posted:

Judging from the amount of people I've heard saying "I want us to just be out now why does it take two years" I doubt anything bad will happen to Tory polling during this.
And I live in a Remain area!

Has anyone asked these people if they've ever been involved in any kind of large scale project or if they know what the term 'lead time' means.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

If its a private parking fine and you're not clamped you don't have to pay it because they have no way to enforce it. If its a council ticket you're hosed most likely

There are actually private companies that issue tickets without clamping and expect anyone to pay? lol

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Jose posted:

It's private. They can't clamp you on private land because the law was changed in 2012 to prevent it.

The fact that it's railway land complicates things because there are specific byelaws that apply, though I don't know what they are.

I'm not sure it's accurate that they have no way to enforce it. They can request vehicle-keeper's details from the DVLA and go after the keeper, as I understand it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The advice was always to ignore any such tickets but some companies have started to pursue action through the courts with some success.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Well, uh, given the Atlantic slave trade was abolished in 1807, I would say so, yes.

I was going by the Abolition Act of 1833 but :shrug:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Wait a second, you have private companies issuing parking fines? Hahaha that's so ridiculously neoliberal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I feel its important to show americans are alos really loving dumb

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/847058282078461952

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

Wait a second, you have private companies issuing parking fines? Hahaha that's so ridiculously neoliberal.

Well they're not 'fines' - though the companies that issue them try to make them look like they are.

Also:

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/847074094344556544

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
just get everyone twitter accounts and we're golden then

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Zephro posted:

Stationmaster (on being asked of alleged incident): "Nope. No idea what they are on about."

AND/OR

Car Park Owners: "don't care, pay up".

It's an invoice for an alleged breach of contract, not a fine. You can either pay them in full, offer them a reduced figure, dispute the evidence, or, in my experience, (i am not a legal type person) just ignore the fuckers because they aren't going to spend out going to court for anything less than what they would spend chasing you up.

They make their money on people who just pay up straight away, and lose interest quickly otherwise.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Has anyone asked these people if they've ever been involved in any kind of large scale project or if they know what the term 'lead time' means.

Of course not, they're all honest, small-town folk who don't like anything more complicated than football.

I'm more sarcastic about this today because there was a beeb article lambasting the NHS for, among other things, calling the people who're doing a thing first a "vanguard", which is too wordy and complicated for the common man.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/sta...%3D3321%23pti30

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Breath Ray posted:

I was hoping someone could clarify things with a computer game analogy

Wolfenstein: The New Order, only without the catharsis of chainsawing nazis.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Just to be clear I was making a joke about getting anywhere while your car was clamped.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Breath Ray posted:

Just to be clear I was making a joke about getting anywhere while your car was clamped.

I thought it was funny.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

Obligatory F&L skit

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No, why would they have any experience in that? I'm not joking either, why would they? We all live in our own bubbles and our own experience is everyone's experience in most people's heads.
That's why this absolute idiocy has happened in the first place.

And talking of idiocy Farage has just been on Sky News saying how great this is. And he's sat outside a pub with a half drunk pint, because of course he is.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Is crawling Twitter really a standard to base political statistics on? I'll tweet someone for an answer

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

DesperateDan posted:

Stationmaster (on being asked of alleged incident): "Nope. No idea what they are on about."
This isn't that likely. He is generally friendly, and we all know him. At least one other person has had this happen and he was annoyed enough about it to complain to the parking company, though I don't know how it was resolved in the end (ie whether he had to pay or not). Lack of parking is a chronic problem at this station and people are parked out of bays 4 days out of 5, every week.

quote:

AND/OR

Car Park Owners: "don't care, pay up".
The station attendant is the agent of the car-park owners. He works for South West Trains.

quote:

It's an invoice for an alleged breach of contract, not a fine. You can either pay them in full, offer them a reduced figure, dispute the evidence, or, in my experience, (i am not a legal type person) just ignore the fuckers because they aren't going to spend out going to court for anything less than what they would spend chasing you up.

They make their money on people who just pay up straight away, and lose interest quickly otherwise.
This is the case generally. I'm not sure it's right for railways, though. Section 14 of the railway byelaws makes parking offences into criminal matters, not breaches of contract. I think, though, that it has to be the TOC (ie South West Trains) who takes you to court, though, rather than some parking firm that works for them. I could be wrong, though, and that's what I'm wondering.

edit: also, when they changed the law in 2012, they also allowed parking firms to get vehicle-keeper's details from the DVLA, and to pursue keepers for the money. So there's that to think about too.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

spectralent posted:

I thought it was funny.

You're very kind :^)

Got any plans for the ukid bank holiday?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

I for one am shocked that a pro-Brexit PM being lionised throughout the pro-Brexit media has resulted in success in opinion polls.

Twist is she isn't pro-Brexit. She's playing the part well. Before the referendum she was pro-EU but kept quiet for just this situation. She's an opportunist who is obviously hoping that Brexit will allow the Tories to ravage the country via mass deregulation.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Weird how we have vehemently pro Brexit media yet still nearly half the country still thinks it's a bad idea.

Almost as if it's possible for ideas to prove influential even without the support of the tabloids?

A competent politician might be able to do something with that, given the opportunity.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

I hope Sky News keep their BREXIT DEADLINE clock on-screen for the 60,000,000+ seconds they are counting down.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/847064702719025152/photo/1

https://twitter.com/tristanrendell/status/847064948555612161

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Zephro posted:

This isn't that likely. He is generally friendly, and we all know him. At least one other person has had this happen and he was annoyed enough about it to complain to the parking company, though I don't know how it was resolved in the end (ie whether he had to pay or not). Lack of parking is a chronic problem at this station and people are parked out of bays 4 days out of 5, every week.

The station attendant is the agent of the car-park owners. He works for South West Trains.

This is the case generally. I'm not sure it's right for railways, though. Section 14 of the railway byelaws makes parking offences into criminal matters, not breaches of contract. I think, though, that it has to be the TOC (ie South West Trains) who takes you to court, though, rather than some parking firm that works for them. I could be wrong, though, and that's what I'm wondering.

edit: also, when they changed the law in 2012, they also allowed parking firms to get vehicle-keeper's details from the DVLA, and to pursue keepers for the money. So there's that to think about too.

Ah, I misread- all the station car parks near me are the same tossers running all the supermarket ones near me- where they seem to consist of a few signs and anpr cars/cameras, a company post office box and a place to mail out vaguely threatening sounding notices of doom from.

Have a quiet chat with the stationkeeper and see what he reckons, maybe have a look at the signs that are up in the car park and see who the contact details are for and what the wording is like? I would avoid any kind of official communication till you know the scores.

PIGS BREXIT
Mar 29, 2017

This is a day that will go down in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfGSAo-yyoQ

PIGS BREXIT fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 29, 2017

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Zephro posted:

When asking anyone on the railways if something is permitted, ALWAYS get them to write it down on something and sign it. Guards, ticket offices, car park attendants, anyone.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/847111083622109185

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strong :smuggo: face there.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Strong :smuggo: face there.

It's more like the Pixar volcano

But i cant say i blame her either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I have that same face when letting out a stream of hot gas.

• Locked thread