Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Doesn't that say the European Parliament rather than the Council?

edit: 1947 - the Doomsday Clock of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is introduced, indicating how close the world is to global catastrophe. Its a couple of minutes slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

I could imagine the nuclear industry are currently consulting lawyers, as the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 does not confer upon the Prime Minister the power to invoke Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty.
There's at least some opinion that exiting the EU pretty much necessitates leaving Euratom (haven't had time to check this guy's reasoning though): http://eulawanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/the-uk-brexits-euratom-legal-framework.html?m=1

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

i wouldn't completely write off the lib dems just yet, we haven't even seen Tim Farrons final form

Who the hell is 'Tim Farron'?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

There's at least some opinion that exiting the EU pretty much necessitates leaving Euratom (haven't had time to check this guy's reasoning though): http://eulawanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/the-uk-brexits-euratom-legal-framework.html?m=1
As this guy states, "The Euratom treaty is a separate treaty from the treaty which initially created what was the European Economic Community (EEC) – now known as the European Union (EU). Equally, Euratom is a separate international organisation from the EU." - hence why she didn't have to leave.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/girlgeeks/status/847030805381758977
:munch:

Tigey posted:

Doesn't that say the European Parliament rather than the Council?

edit: 1947 - the Doomsday Clock of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is introduced, indicating how close the world is to global catastrophe. Its a couple of minutes slow

As the Parliament has a veto over the deal, the difference is academic, but the Council won't give in either.

El Grillo posted:

The problem for May is that she explicitly invoked Article 106a despite no legislation conferring the power upon her to do so. The prospect of this risking judicial review was actually brought up in Parliament, for what it's worth.

If she didn't mention it, it would be harder for the nuclear industry to challenge Euratomxit.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Everyone involved is hoping that the handful of old, egotistical white men negotiating on both sides don't gently caress everything up for millions of other people they don't know/care about, hope that helps.

I honesty don't know any Europeans that are pro EU. Pro Europe yes, pro EU not really.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/peston/status/847055352428421120
Take Back Control!™

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Collateral posted:

I honesty don't know any Europeans that are pro EU. Pro Europe yes, pro EU not really.

I'm unreservedly pro-EU. Number of people in this thread are pro-EU (or like 96% of the EU anyway), and they are still europeans too (for now).

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Spuckuk posted:

Who the hell is 'Tim Farron'?

AKA 'Don't know', he's actually polling very well.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Pesto please do not make a bonfire happen by sending us out into the WTO wilderness

Northern Rock collapse, """very funny"""", a second time is unforgivable.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Private Speech posted:

I'm unreservedly pro-EU. Number of people in this thread are pro-EU (or like 96% of the EU anyway), and they are still europeans too (for now).

Pretty sure the UK will still be located in Europe after Brexit

e: also, I'm Irish and I don't know a single person who is anti-EU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Pretty sure the UK will still be located in Europe after Brexit

Never lose faith in the power of creative thinking and longing to be an island in the middle of the Atlantic.

The pontoons will begin construction in a few months, mark my words. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i don't think anyone except genuinely insane people thought otherwise?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Jose posted:

So everyone that voted to leave then?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jose posted:

Eh I think the regulations controlling the quality of produce and how it can be marketed, whoops I mean the benditude of bananas, will be abolished in the UK market eventually. They'll just stick a sticker on them when exporting to the EU, as do plenty of other countries anyway.

Whether this is a victory for the British people on the other hand, well.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

WMain00 posted:

So everyone that voted to leave then?

Yeah; after all, the Daily Telegraph is wanking itself silly over the idea of literally burning their money away with incandescent lightbulbs.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Private Speech posted:

Whether this is a victory for the British people on the other hand, well.

Well, those "Made in the UK" stickers will be a convenient way for British people to avoid substandard produce, packaged by zero-hour contractors. A kind of reverse Free Trade symbol

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

As this guy states, "The Euratom treaty is a separate treaty from the treaty which initially created what was the European Economic Community (EEC) – now known as the European Union (EU). Equally, Euratom is a separate international organisation from the EU." - hence why she didn't have to leave.
Read the rest of the blog post. It's not that simple. Euratom is a distinct legal entity from the EU but in practice it's run by the EU institutions, meaning involvement in Euratom necessitates direct participation in those institutions (so the blog above argues).

TinTower posted:

The problem for May is that she explicitly invoked Article 106a despite no legislation conferring the power upon her to do so. The prospect of this risking judicial review was actually brought up in Parliament, for what it's worth.

If she didn't mention it, it would be harder for the nuclear industry to challenge Euratomxit.
Did Euratom require implementing legislation? If not then she has no problem using the royal prerogative to exit it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The European Parliament has leaked its initial stance on the Brexit negotiations: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/29/first-eu-response-to-article-50-takes-tough-line-on-transitional-deal

quote:

The chamber’s general principles for the coming talks include that:
  • a future relationship agreement between the European union and the UK “can only be concluded once the United Kingdom has withdrawn from the EU”.
  • there may be a transitional deal for after 2019 to ensure that custom controls and barriers on trade are not enforced on day one of Brexit, but that these arrangements should not exceed three years and will be “limited in scope as they can never be a substitute for union membership”.
  • the European court of justice will be responsible for settling any legal challenges during the transition period.
  • the UK will be able to revoke its notification of article 50 but this must be “subject to conditions set by all EU27 so they cannot be used as a procedural device or abused in an attempt to improve the actual terms of the United Kingdom’s membership”.
  • should Britain seek to negotiate any free trade deals with other countries while it is still an EU member state, there will be no future discussion of a deal with the union.
  • there will be no special deal for the City of London “providing UK-based undertakings preferential access to the single market and, or the customs union”.
  • the cut-off date after which EU nationals coming to the UK lose the automatic right to residency in the UK must not be before 29 March 2019, when the country leaves the EU, or the British government will be breaking EU law.
  • Britain should pay all its liabilities “arising from outstanding commitments as well as make provision for off-balance sheet items, contingent liabilities and other financial costs that arise directly as a result of its withdrawal”.
    the outcome of the negotiations on the future EU-UK relationship “cannot involve any trade-off between internal and external security including defence cooperation, on the one hand, and the future economic relationship, on the other hand”.
Basically, "you will suffer if you go through with this idiocy, but you can back out at any time."

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Collateral posted:

Anybody here who is close to any kind of news/info outlet/an EU official, who can answer me a question?

I have been hearing a lot of doom mongering about Brexit from all corners, especially from the EU, that the UK will become an economic hellscape nobody in their right mind would want anything to do with.

Fair enough. We have made our choice now, we will no doubt get on with it and make the best of the situation.

I have also been hearing, from all the euros that I work with and the national media, that there is a literal hoard of EU nationals that still want to come here despite us giving the EU the finger and about to regress into an apocalyptic pit of despair (or something, there is a lot of hyperbole about), and that the EU is threatening their worst (or even worsterer or whatever, since they were already threatening the worst if we left) if the UK won't let them in.

What gives?

The scary thing is that nobody really knows what is going to happen.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

El Grillo posted:

Read the rest of the blog post. It's not that simple. Euratom is a distinct legal entity from the EU but in practice it's run by the EU institutions, meaning involvement in Euratom necessitates direct participation in those institutions (so the blog above argues).

Did Euratom require implementing legislation? If not then she has no problem using the royal prerogative to exit it.

Both government lawyers and independent lawyers are rather sketchy on whether she actually does have the power to invoke Article 106a, as was pointed out in Parliament on Report .

Lord Teverson (LD) posted:

My main point is that legally—this is a certainty—Euratom is not part of the European Union; it is a legally separate entity. As I am sure all noble Lords will remember, the referendum question was whether the United Kingdom should remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union. It did not in any way mention Euratom and nor was Euratom part of the parliamentary debate that took place during the passage of the referendum Bill. They are separate legal entities. Indeed, when I have been in discussion with some government Ministers, one of their concerns has been that giving notice on Euratom will in some way leave the Article 50 notification open to challenge.​

Legal advice that I have taken has made it clear that the Government have no mandate to give notice under the Euratom treaty, nor have they entered into any consultation. Therefore, given that there has been no consultation on leaving the treaty—despite the fact that a number of rights would inevitably be lost through doing so—by giving notice on Euratom they open themselves up to judicial review. Therefore, the Government have an interest in not triggering withdrawal from Euratom, although there is currently a process for doing so.

The processes are very different. Admittedly, Article 106a of the Euratom treaty refers to the Treaty on European Union, but it is a Euratom treaty clause and method. Article 50 mentions only the Treaty on European Union and nothing else. Therefore, there have to be two notification processes, for only one of which is there a clear legal mandate, which is Article 50 to give notice on the European Union.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LemonDrizzle posted:

The European Parliament has leaked its initial stance on the Brexit negotiations: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/29/first-eu-response-to-article-50-takes-tough-line-on-transitional-deal

Basically, "you will suffer if you go through with this idiocy, but you can back out at any time."

hahahahahahahhahahahahah

love it.

the tories are going to lose the city of london.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The anthem for any campaign to rejoin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1Jwyxd4tE

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So where can I apply to become an EU Citizen?

:smith:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I think there's one serious question that needs to be asked in any moment of nationalism.

Is London the 6th Rome?!??

There's the whole Jesus on English hills thing, and it was one of the last western Roman cities after all, so.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Collateral posted:

Most Europeans I know are pro-EU and I live on the mainland. The anti-EU crowd tends to be the "old men whining about not being taken seriously" and "racists". There's substantial overlap.

I've never heard anyone say EU's perfect, just better than not having it, given the rich and varied history of loving other countries over. The EU at least slows it down.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

So right now is probably the worst imaginable time to start a new small business in the uk right?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it depends what the business is really and where you're starting it

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I dunno I'd say 1940 was a pretty bad time for it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Both government lawyers and independent lawyers are rather sketchy on whether she actually does have the power to invoke Article 106a, as was pointed out in Parliament on Report .
Yeah I've been unable to find out what the actual domestic Euratom legislation conferring rights is, or what those rights are. But if it does exist then Miller applies.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

endlessmonotony posted:

Most Europeans I know are pro-EU and I live on the mainland. The anti-EU crowd tends to be the "old men whining about not being taken seriously" and "racists". There's substantial overlap.

I've never heard anyone say EU's perfect, just better than not having it, given the rich and varied history of loving other countries over. The EU at least slows it down.

A perfect analogy: The EU's like vaccinations. Nobody especially likes it, but most people go along with it and nobody trusts the loons who say we should opt out!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
lol it's amazing how many ways Britain just hosed itself for no reason.

Guys, please don't put matters of geostrategic life and death to a plebiscite, you'd be surprised how dumb people can be.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Al-Saqr posted:

lol it's amazing how many ways Britain just hosed itself for no reason.

Guys, please don't put matters of geostrategic life and death to a plebiscite, you'd be surprised how dumb people can be.

Are you talking about the American election here.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Private Speech posted:

Are you talking about the American election here.

Yes. lol we're all doomed.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

endlessmonotony posted:

A perfect analogy: The EU's like vaccinations. Nobody especially likes it, but most people go along with it and nobody trusts the loons who say we should opt out!

"Wee small country has a referendum on bringing back smallpox - the results will surprise you!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jBrereton posted:

I dunno I'd say 1940 was a pretty bad time for it.

Or starting a slave-trading business in early 1833.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

The anthem for any campaign to rejoin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1Jwyxd4tE

What makes this even better is that they're from an EU member state.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
remember when the dutch put an international economic treaty to a referemendum lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pochoclo posted:

"Wee small country has a referendum on bringing back smallpox - the results will surprise you!"
It's not smallpox but some diseases made a small comeback in the southern US because of the opposition to vaccines, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

remember when the dutch put an international economic treaty to a referemendum lol
Yeah and they came to the 100% correct conclusion lol

• Locked thread