Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

DapperDon posted:

What you don't seem to understand is that thread IS life.

Oh..um.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

This thread feels grief.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kayak's been busy being a Very Good Boy by helping me do home renovation the last couple weeks

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Beet Wagon posted:

Kayak's been busy being a Very Good Boy by helping me do home renovation the last couple weeks

+1 for the dogo
+2 for the volvo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Condolences. The amount of assfuckery I've had to deal with at my house due to previous owners has been incredible while slowly renovating. It covered the gauntlet.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Condolences. The amount of assfuckery I've had to deal with at my house due to previous owners has been incredible while slowly renovating. It covered the gauntlet.

My favorite part so far was going to pull baseboards and realizing that whoever had updated the tile had simply tiled up to the baseboards instead of - you know - pulling them and doing it properly. So far it's not been too bad though, so I can't complain.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

+1 for the dogo
+2 for the volvo.

:negative: technically the Volvo is my buddy's. I drive the Subaru Dadwagon parked next to it lol.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

AP posted:

Even going back to the very basic function of flying a ship, your avatar gets dumped into a remote part of distant space, the same place new items get spawned before teleporting to their correct locations. While dropping the avatar you become the ship. This is the worst type of fudge possible as you now need to create yet another new item, a copy of the ship with a recreation of the original avatar visibly seated.

WTF, so just let me get this straight. SC just moves your avatar somewhere else and changes the control focus to the ship? So in theory someone else could go and visit your avatar while you control the ship somewhere else?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Beet Wagon posted:

My favorite part so far was going to pull baseboards and realizing that whoever had updated the tile had simply tiled up to the baseboards instead of - you know - pulling them and doing it properly.
I think this is why God made quarter round.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There has been a conspicuous lack of child doxxing as of late. I feel like the thread is losing steam.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

My favorite part so far was going to pull baseboards and realizing that whoever had updated the tile had simply tiled up to the baseboards instead of - you know - pulling them and doing it properly. So far it's not been too bad though, so I can't complain.

:negative: technically the Volvo is my buddy's. I drive the Subaru Dadwagon parked next to it lol.

Yeah, quarter round as mentioned...I don't have many problems with its use, tends to blend in when used correctly. Get an oscillating multi tool...makes trimming jambs and a crapload of other tasks so much nicer. Not sure how I lived without one.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MedicineHut posted:

WTF, so just let me get this straight. SC just moves your avatar somewhere else and changes the control focus to the ship? So in theory someone else could go and visit your avatar while you control the ship somewhere else?

Yes you sort of become your ship, I think the place where the models are dumped is in this vid I did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHwALwXSvEI

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, quarter round as mentioned...I don't have many problems with its use, tends to blend in when used correctly. Get an oscillating multi tool...makes trimming jambs and a crapload of other tasks so much nicer. Not sure how I lived without one.

Nah I tend to think quarter round tacked onto a baseboard looks like poo poo 9 times out of ten. Since we're replacing the baseboards anyway I pulled 'em all and grouted the areas that won't be hidden by the new baseboards and we're just putting slightly fatter than normal ones up to cover the gap everywhere else. Easy peasy.

peter gabriel posted:

Yes you sort of become your ship, I think the place where the models are dumped is in this vid I did

The never-realm full of stimpired out commando storage always makes me laugh lmao

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ok that settles it. I've been pondering on grabbing the Porter Cable oscillating tool with holiday gift card and I'm just going to do it.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Sunswipe posted:

Some say he hasn't played a videogame since 1994, and that he thinks $20,000 is a reasonable price for a game. All we know is, he's called The CIG.

Just wanted to say that you redeemed the thread, bravo

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What I think of when CIG talks about compiling or builds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6UP3RuAq8

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

lol, how did you find that commando dumpsite? Triangulation? Chained missions? Smell?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MedicineHut posted:

lol, how did you find that commando dumpsite? Triangulation? Chained missions? Smell?

I made the amazing mistake of using a turret in a ship :lol:

I think for sure they are the commandos models once you 'enter' a ship, you can see their hands move as if someone, somewhere is flying a chariot.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Polish Avenger posted:

Ok that settles it. I've been pondering on grabbing the Porter Cable oscillating tool with holiday gift card and I'm just going to do it.

Now granted, I'm not saying you'll get enough use out of it compared to say...a space news van jpeg. So keep that in consideration on your purchasing decision.

Edit: Crap, should have included my referral code so I get some sweet Porter Cable credits.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

So I briefly mentioned something awful and refunds and he brought up Derek Smart so I just started talking a lot about beets and making sure to talk about how kayak is a good boy and I think it finally clicked. We are now talking about not star citizen lmao.

For Christmas, buy them one of those twisted up Star Citizen figures. And wrap it in paper printed with the Stimpire.txt over and over.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

+1 for the dogo
+2 for the volvo.

3-4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine
Told the knock kneed ghetto queen get the head fiend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRMyYP3T0NE

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MeLKoR posted:

There has been a conspicuous lack of child doxxing as of late. I feel like the thread is losing steam.

Now you're "it", get busy

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I am going through that very same thing only with 1" solid wood flooring that was applied on TOP of a tile floor. I have nothing nice to say about the previous homeowners that attempted to think they were Bob loving Vila and do this themselves.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

HycoCam posted:

I think this is why God made quarter round.

LOLOLOLOL!

:perfect:

necroid
May 14, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

haha welcome back

also lol at the "CR sounds like pingu" comment

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Yes totally, we know this because, surprisingly, this stupid system doesn't work very well. Players get transported to this field of broken dreams by accident and can watch other avatars flying ships, you can tell by watching their ankles/wrists rotate. Sometimes you get transported here and can still remotely control your ship in the far distance.

It doesn't matter if you have a space suit on or not either as there's no check for the presence of atmosphere anywhere, just a check on if you have a space suit equipped if you happen to be standing in the airlock when the depressurise button is pressed. Another excellent fudge that people probably wouldn't have noticed if the clip through everything solid bug wasn't quite so common.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

DapperDon posted:

I am going through that very same thing only with 1" solid wood flooring that was applied on TOP of a tile floor. I have nothing nice to say about the previous homeowners that attempted to think they were Bob loving Vila and do this themselves.

What did they do about door thresholds and such? Is there just a direct change in height? Did they cut up the door bottoms, or do anything else weird to accommodate the floor?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
commando dumping ground design session discussion:

dev1: "do you think any players will find this bizarre land of twitching player models?"
dev2: "do you think Chris will find this bizarre land of twitching player models?"
dev1: "... ship it."

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AP posted:

Yes totally, we know this because, surprisingly, this stupid system doesn't work very well. Players get transported to this field of broken dreams by accident and can watch other avatars flying ships, you can tell by watching their ankles/wrists rotate. Sometimes you get transported here and can still remotely control your ship in the far distance.

It doesn't matter if you have a space suit on or not either as there's no check for the presence of atmosphere anywhere, just a check on if you have a space suit equipped if you happen to be standing in the airlock when the depressurise button is pressed. Another excellent fudge that people probably wouldn't have noticed if the clip through everything solid bug wasn't quite so common.

I really want someone to find this area by flying to it, and just coming across a mass of avatars twisting around. It would probably be really hard to find, as it's probably just some randomly selected location in the middle of nothing.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

XK posted:

I really want someone to find this area by flying to it, and just coming across a mass of avatars twisting around. It would probably be really hard to find, as it's probably just some randomly selected location in the middle of nothing.

Well, not as funny as other examples I've seen of this situation, but.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMe5_ag-NU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

AP posted:

Good lord. Maybe news to me, and I indeed remember pgabz vid (didn't realize what it was) but this is the kind of poo poo that would need to be made much more visible to shitizens. I mean the number of times they have parroted the fidelity poo poo of a player controlling an avatar that is controlling a ship etc.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

Anytime I've seen the weird horror area with twisting player models it was just a dull brown field.

Since CIG seems to just be modding Cryengine they probably noticed the bug but can't actually code the engine they probably just tweaked some values and made the location for bugged player models spawn inside the picture of Crusader or something that would be invisible and out of the way.

I really hope no backers still in the game have ever made mods or total conversions of other games because the persistent universe is 100% undeniably a mod of crysis with re-skinned jeeps zooming around in NOCLIP and default Crysis weapons and camera bugs. Anyone who has ever been in a situation where you want to pretend something is happening and you creatively work around it could see what has been going on.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

XK posted:

What did they do about door thresholds and such? Is there just a direct change in height? Did they cut up the door bottoms, or do anything else weird to accommodate the floor?

Everything was elevated to compensate the floor rise. It would be hysterical if it wasn't me having to do the work.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MedicineHut posted:

Good lord. Maybe news to me, and I indeed remember pgabz vid (didn't realize what it was) but this is the kind of poo poo that would need to be made much more visible to shitizens. I mean the number of times they have parroted the fidelity poo poo of a player controlling an avatar that is controlling a ship etc.

They're beyond caring, even if someone managed to convince them it was real they'd claim it's only a stop-gap alpha solution that's definitely got a solution in the pipelines somewhere.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Big clive is one of my favorite youtube time wasters, he cracks open cheap electronics and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClSch3zLC0k

He's chill and cool

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

XK posted:

It seems like the kind of thing you would need the Event Horizon to find. Hold on to your eyeballs kids, we're going on an adventure!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Space Crabs posted:

Anytime I've seen the weird horror area with twisting player models it was just a dull brown field.

There are definitely less components left stranded in space and fewer stationary avatars than in the original release of 2.0. I suspect they weren't clearing the objects when people disconnected in the past and that eventually the server fell over but that's just a guess.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AP posted:

There are definitely less components left stranded in space and fewer stationary avatars than in the original release of 2.0. I suspect they weren't clearing the objects when people disconnected in the past and that eventually the server fell over but that's just a guess.
To my knowledge those models were actual other players actually playing the game. This might explain why you don't see them anymore.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

You want a good game, but you need the bad-ice.
Better title.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Big clive is one of my favorite youtube time wasters, he cracks open cheap electronics and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClSch3zLC0k

He's chill and cool

Weird. Something we can agree on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

thatguy posted:

To my knowledge those models were actual other players actually playing the game. This might explain why you don't see them anymore.

Woah that's cold