Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

raditts posted:

Can we have this one thing where we don't grasp at straws for reasons to consider it "problematic"

Can we just come together and root for him to get back, back to the past, sa-moo-rye jack

I mean ignoring these problems just perpetuates them, and no one here is saying you can't watch it or enjoy it. There's an issue where people see the word "problematic" and assume they mean "this piece of media is the worst thing ever in the world and has no redeeming qualities, this media might have well been invented by Adolf J Hitlerino". We're just discussing this piece of media we like, all media has problems to different degrees and it shouldn't make you uncomfortable to talk about them.

Again, nobody is calling the TV cartoon show Samurai Jack, 'the devil', actually it's very good, that's why we like to talk about it.

Anyway my new theory for the ending is that Samurai Jack marries Aku and they have twenty three children.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Legit good page opener, that.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I think the skin-suits were sexualized in the way that Paul Dini's characters were sexualized -- they're not that objectionable until you start thinking about why the animator chose to portray them this way and realize that's his ideal / fetish / only female body type he can draw. If I were an apologist, I'd probably point out that Samurai Jack's visuals is so stylized that it shouldn't matter. But the show is practically devoid of female characters (did Jack's mother even have a line in the flashback?) and that it's unacceptable not to call out the failures of the auteur.

If you read these first episodes as being about a virile, perpetually young man conquering agency-less femininity with his wilderness ruggedness and individualism, you wouldn't be wrong. And what's the weapon he uses to do this? He wears no clothes and throws spears to make unloved women bleed. That's weird.

What the gently caress is this post, I can't tell if this is a joke or if you're that broken, either way, well done?

raditts posted:

Can we have this one thing where we don't grasp at straws for reasons to consider it "problematic"

Can we just come together and root for him to get back, back to the past, sa-moo-rye jack

Yeah this.

What's going to be strange to me in the future is when the Scotsman turns up, and both Jack and the Scotsman start opening fire and bellowing madly.

Bonus fun ending to the new season of samurai jack: Ashi meets the Scotsman's wife and in an inspired moment of cunning states that Aku often spoke of the wife's fat nature. Queue Aku being smashed over the head for all time to the words, "I AM NOT FAT, I'M STOUT" while Jack liberates the people and requisitions a new time portal from now freed science dudes. During this time, Jack also happens upon an adorable dog and decides to keep it by his side, for it is such a sweet thing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

mycot posted:

Oh yeah, everyone should have realized the daughters were doomed when he lost his hat/helmet and his clothes.
It's like the Inverse Ninja Rule, except instead of ninjas being more dangerous the fewer there are of them (which, by the way, this show did a fantastic job of subverting with the Daughters) Jack gets more dangerous with each piece of his clothing that gets torn off.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

raditts posted:

I don't know if I agree with those criticisms specifically, but I definitely don't agree with "no criticisms allowed" (or, above on this page, "if you try to look at things through a feminist lens you must be broken and/or trolling").

Samurai Jack is legit a work of art, and as such deserves to be considered seriously. It's a great show, but as Tartakovsky said in an interview someone linked earlier in the thread, "I don’t think of myself as a 47-year-old with a mortgage and three kids, I think of myself as a virile young 25". And there's no way that's not going to be reflected in the show, for better and worse. (For instance, "gotta get back, back to the past" takes on a much more relatable meaning in that light than it originally had.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

JT Jag posted:

It's like the Inverse Ninja Rule, except instead of ninjas being more dangerous the fewer there are of them (which, by the way, this show did a fantastic job of subverting with the Daughters) Jack gets more dangerous with each piece of his clothing that gets torn off.

I mean, just look at the Dome of Doom episode; the nakeder he gets, the more brutal his methods become.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I don't know if I agree with those criticisms specifically, but I definitely don't agree with "no criticisms allowed" (or, above on this page, "if you try to look at things through a feminist lens you must be broken and/or trolling").

Samurai Jack is legit a work of art, and as such deserves to be considered seriously. It's a great show, but as Tartakovsky said in an interview someone linked earlier in the thread, "I don’t think of myself as a 47-year-old with a mortgage and three kids, I think of myself as a virile young 25". And there's no way that's not going to be reflected in the show, for better and worse. (For instance, "gotta get back, back to the past" takes on a much more relatable meaning in that light than it originally had.)

Normally I don't like shooting down discussion in threads (and threads that are just "this thing was cool/how cool was that thing" are bad), but those criticisms are legit terrible. Not every woman bleeding has to be a period metaphor.

TVIV doesn't deserve Samurai Jack.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I legitimately can't tell how many "layers of irony" you're operating on here. But now I'm worried that "going back to the past" has become a metaphor for "making America great again." (wretch) and I think I have to root for the future that is Aku.

To be fair, I and most people I know have been wishing we could go "back the past" of, say, 2012 or 2013 for the better part of a year now.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mycot posted:

Normally I don't like shooting down discussion in threads (and threads that are just "this thing was cool/how cool was that thing" are bad), but those criticisms are legit terrible. Not every woman bleeding has to be a period metaphor.

Samurai Jack: There was a FORESKIN here. It's gone now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

Samurai Jack: There was a FORESKIN here. It's gone now.

Jack repressing his bloody childhood memories is a metaphor for the trauma of early male circumcision.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Obviously you guys could have saved yourselves all the arguing if you had just read my new book Power Puff, and the Emasculation of the Modern Man.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

mycot posted:

I think it's fine to talk about specific criticism not being valid, but I think it's kinda lovely to ask people not to discuss anything critical. You don't have to shoot down the discussion to disagree with someone, I think it's easier and better for everyone if you just focus on countering the thing you don't agree with sensibly.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Is Samurai Jack A Postmodern Assessment of the Validity of the Nudist Lifestyle?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't really see anything problematic except that the show is yet another show about a male action dude in a world that's full of shows about male action dudes and short on real female protagonists. As usual, though, that's not a deathblow to any particular show about a guy, just a problem with the world in general.

Anyway, it's not like they could change that now for Samurai Jack, and they've actually added important female characters, so I suspect they're aware that that's something they were short on. (You could say Ashi's not a great point of representation but I don't think anybody more empowered would fit into the established story of the conclusion of Jack and Aku's enmity.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Eh, granted, I can see where people are coming from when the most major female character the show has ever seen was literally raised from birth to hunt down a man; everything we've seen so far is her having no agency independent of "kill Jack, please mother/Aku".

However, we're also only a third of the way in, and it's probably pretty likely that Ashi is going to see some significant growth now that all of her sisters are dead and have essentially failed at their life's only goal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Regalingualius posted:

Is Samurai Jack A Postmodern Assessment of the Validity of the Nudist Lifestyle?
This is a joke but I think this argument could actually be made

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm betting on at least one daughter besides Ashi to survive, just to provide a contrast for her own development. But if not, its no major loss.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

I'm betting on at least one daughter besides Ashi to survive, just to provide a contrast for her own development. But if not, its no major loss.

Now watch as someone makes a Loss edit out of the six Daughters getting killed.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Not every show has to tick box your progressive demands for a show. Jack is a samurai that jumps good and tries to depose evil. This is the first time I've ever posted in a TV/IV thread and the reputation for this subforum to be weird is very much deserved by the looks of things, and that's coming from someone who frequents the star citizen thread. This show is art. It is doing what it set out to do and it's god drat fantastic.

Megaspel posted:

I think it's fine to talk about specific criticism not being valid, but I think it's kinda lovely to ask people not to discuss anything critical. You don't have to shoot down the discussion to disagree with someone, I think it's easier and better for everyone if you just focus on countering the thing you don't agree with sensibly.

I think it's an acceptable response when one encounters an absurd argument/criticism to state, "that is absurd and divorced from reality you utter goon."

Okay, here's a new question for you folks. Who thinks that Jack will manage to find his sword again? Or if there's another solution available? I honestly think that the sword is the only way to defeat Aku. When you lose the deus ex machina, you don't tend to just find another one. Jack is going to have to get his blade back. Reforging a new one doesn't seem viable to me, especially now that Jack's spirit is troubled. Otherwise the good gods of the world would have given another hero a weapon to take down Aku.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm hoping there's a flashback episode showing just what kind of adventure could have been intense enough to end up with him losing the sword.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Jack's sword is such an iconic symbol in the show I would be completely surprised if we don't see him getting it back before the series ends. Personally, I hope he gets it back in the next two episodes.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Could Jack's sword by like MCU Mjolnir, when he regains his samurai heart it will return to him?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr.Tophat posted:

Not every show has to tick box your progressive demands for a show ... This show is art.

Then it deserves the critical rigor that other art also gets, and rightly so.
There are many angles to criticism, the feminist perspective being one of them. Dismissing a perfectly common and valid criticism rather than discussing it is a disservice to the thread imo. Id rather the thread be both discussion about events in the show and about the show itself.

quote:

Otherwise the good gods of the world would have given another hero a weapon to take down Aku.

The dude met Ra face to face and the bird faced fucker didnt do anything beyond saving him from the magical jackals.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Then it deserves the critical rigor that other art also gets, and rightly so.
There are many angles to criticism, the feminist perspective being one of them. Dismissing a perfectly common and valid criticism rather than discussing it is a disservice to the thread imo. Id rather the thread be both discussion about events in the show and about the show itself.

Okay, fair enough. I guess I was thrown off by ZorajitZorajit's post, because it reads like a madman to me. Unless that's what you're defending, in which case...I guess I just don't know anymore?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

moosecow333 posted:

Jack's sword is such an iconic symbol in the show I would be completely surprised if we don't see him getting it back before the series ends. Personally, I hope he gets it back in the next two episodes.

I think jack losing his sword is probably representative of him having lost his sense of purpose. If that's the case, him regaining his sword should happen around the same time he resolves his personal demons. Doing that seems like the main character arc for the season, so I'm going to guess he doesn't get the sword back until near the end.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Pavlov posted:

I think jack losing his sword is probably representative of him having lost his sense of purpose. If that's the case, him regaining his sword should happen around the same time he resolves his personal demons. Doing that seems like the main character arc for the season, so I'm going to guess he doesn't get the sword back until near the end.

It's pronounced "You've forgotten your purpose!"

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Mr.Tophat posted:

It's pronounced "You've forgotten your purpose!"

Shhh, some people don't actually watch this show.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Regalingualius posted:

I mean, just look at the Dome of Doom episode; the nakeder he gets, the more brutal his methods become.

he literally tickled a massive sumo wrestler to death I mean jfc it was horrifying

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Okay, fair enough. I guess I was thrown off by ZorajitZorajit's post, because it reads like a madman to me. Unless that's what you're defending, in which case...I guess I just don't know anymore?

Keep your tophat on dude. A little lit crit isn't gonna hurt you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If show can be criticized then so can your shifty criticism on whether it's worthwhile or not.
End of the day the show is still more valuable and more enjoyable than your post so don't be surprised if you actually have to argue to make a point instead of just shouting into the void and getting retweets and reblogs.

Most people posting crit remind me of people who never study, never ask anything in office hours except to have things regraded for more points, etc, don't really want to put the work in and just want the points now even if their arguments are completely illogical and their calculations are completely off. Don't evaluate my work, just give me credit and tell me I'm smart, even if I've done nothing besides be enrolled in the course. Wait what was I talking about what thread is this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

^^^
This guy gets it

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So tell me, how did you read the words "grasping at straws" and translate that to "no criticisms allowed"
I just want to be able to read this thread without having to skip pages of insane death of the author bullshit

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 29, 2017

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I will happily eat a ban if by the end of the series:

1. Jack didn't get his sword back.
2. Jack and Ashi fell in love.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

raditts posted:

I just want to be able to read this thread without having to skip pages of insane death of the author bullshit

Why Samurai Jack Is Failing Feminism And Minorities - read more at jezebel.com

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Sorry, shouldn't have thought about the message being conveyed by media, especially not without checking from the author-on-high first. I'll go back to scribbling on every wall of my cell at the asylum now. I'd really hate to point out the flaws of a power fantasy starring a cis-het-able-male oligarch.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, Jack is at least mentally ill.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

I think it's an acceptable response when one encounters an absurd argument/criticism to state, "that is absurd and divorced from reality you utter goon."

Absolutely, I was more referring to the thing earlier, 'Can we have this one thing where we don't grasp at straws for reasons to consider it "problematic" ' from the other person.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
jacks gonna get his sword back cause that'd be cool

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Sorry, shouldn't have thought about the message being conveyed by media, especially not without checking from the author-on-high first. I'll go back to scribbling on every wall of my cell at the asylum now. I'd really hate to point out the flaws of a power fantasy starring a cis-het-able-male oligarch.

Sir, this is a McDonald's drivethru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

raditts posted:

So tell me, how did you read the words "grasping at straws" and translate that to "no criticisms allowed"
Your response seemed like the stereotypical knee-jerk response of "please sjws do not ruin my favourite tv show by talking about it". Probably by your sarcastic use of 'problematic', which implied you get frustrated at people discussing things that are 'problematic'. Hope this helps.

mandatory lesbian posted:

jacks gonna get his sword back cause that'd be cool

I wouldn't be surprised if the real magic was inside him all along or something. I think if he gets his sword back it has to represent a relatable struggle most likely, and I think him losing his sword is sort of a metaphor for losing his youth possibly? It's quite interesting because, with the closed miniseries format and the audience age bump, the ending might actually not fit into any of the tropes we usually see in cartoons. Whatever it is will probably be a reflection on how Genndy sees the world, so it'll be fun to see if he has a depressing outlook or an optimistic one; though I certainly don't want him to force a happy or bittersweet ending if that's not his actual outlook.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 29, 2017

• Locked thread