Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Nah. The Lakers fans are the one team that stays loyal in Los Angeles, especially now with Magic involved.
Dodgers. It's Lakers and Dodgers who have resilient fan bases in LA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

have raiders play in the la colluseum for a year or two because why not

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FCKGW posted:

have raiders play in the la colluseum for a year or two because why not

Can't have three teams play there

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Stubhub it is then!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Well, Dean and Mark DID want to share a stadium in Carson

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Ron Jeremy posted:

I want to know how this plays out. I didn't renew this year for this reason. Mark offered refunds to anyone who wanted them. Otoh, the Raiders are playing their best football in a while and I expect another playoff run.

I have a co-worker who is sad they're leaving but just put deposits on 10 LV season tickets, the amount he currently has in Oakland and isn't cancelling.

King Hong Kong posted:

Citing a waitlist that came into existence within the last year prior to the approval to move is pretty speculative considering that it costs nothing to be put on the waitlist.

This isn't to say people won't show up (the team is good after all) but it is foolish to take that as an assured fact.

I'll be extremely surprised if every game isn't a sell out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Can't have three teams play there

not with that attitude they cant

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

warcrimes posted:

I have a co-worker who is sad they're leaving but just put deposits on 10 LV season tickets, the amount he currently has in Oakland and isn't cancelling.

I'll be extremely surprised if every game isn't a sell out.

They didn't even manage to do that last season.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

It is very NHL to be pioneers in opening up Las Vegas to pro sports, and then to become second-class citizens in their own market before a puck is dropped. But that’s what happened this week when the NFL approved the Raiders’ relocation to Vegas, where they figure to be the hottest ticket in town. Vegas Golden Knights owner Bill Foley was magnanimous in a statement released by the NHL on Monday, but a little less guarded in his later comments on a local radio show:

quote:

“I felt like there were a lot better ways to spend $750 million than bringing the Raiders to Las Vegas,” said Foley. “We could spend it on police, firefighters and teachers and have them all be the best in the country. But I guess we’re going to spend it on the Raiders. … If I had complete control of the situation, I would not have opted to have the Raiders come here. But I didn’t, so I welcome them.”
http://deadspin.com/golden-knights-owner-says-he-wishes-las-vegas-didnt-spe-1793812884

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Hockey is a better product to watch, both live and on tv. I agree with hockey rich dude, down with football rich dude

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hockey is better than an NFL game huh

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hockey rules live. It's 60 minutes of action.

The NFL is like 15 minutes of action.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've been to plenty of hockey games. I've never seen anything happen in hockey like a pick 6 in overtime live. No comparison.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Hockey is a better product to watch, both live and on tv. I agree with hockey rich dude, down with football rich dude

Hockey dude is right though- he didn't take public money for the hockey stadium and a 20k seat arena can host tons of events year-round.

I disagree on his point that most fans will be for the away team. I think a lot of Raiders fans will come in from California to balance out the away team tourists.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

I've been to plenty of hockey games. I've never seen anything happen in hockey like a pick 6 in overtime live. No comparison.

There is nothing that compares to an nhl game live. The NFL is a sport to watch on TV. Hockey is non stop action. Nothing the NFL does can compare

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

There is nothing that compares to an nhl game live. The NFL is a sport to watch on TV. Hockey is non stop action. Nothing the NFL does can compare

Seriously, I obviously love the NFL but for something to watch live at the event there's no comparison. Football is probably better on TV overall since you can easily make a snack/get a drink/whatever during any of the breaks.

The NBA is probably a pretty good thing to go to as well but I never have.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

kiimo posted:

good point, clearly baseball is the best sport

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

It depends on the situation. There's no situation in sports I'd rather watch live than NHL playoff overtime, but it's not always edge of your seat like that. Halfway through the first period hockey is kinda boring.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

It depends on the situation. There's no situation in sports I'd rather watch live than NHL playoff overtime, but it's not always edge of your seat like that. Halfway through the first period hockey is kinda boring.

I'd say there's more action compared to the time you're there, especially compared to football's start and stop nature, and a billion commercials. In hockey the game is still GOING pretty much constantly, while baseball is pretty boring to follow and basketball is almost as start and stop as football is, since blowing on someone is a foul

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

In hockey the game is still GOING pretty much constantly, while baseball is pretty boring to follow

Baseball and hockey are on the opposite ends of the sports spectrum. If we're comparing going to an early season NHL game compared to a May baseball game I'd probably choose baseball, just because it's outside and the weather is (probably) nice. But even when the stakes are high it's a completely different experience. NHL playoffs are constant edge of your seat 'oh poo poo' moments, MLB playoffs are a slow fuse of very tense moments. They're both awesome, just in completely different ways.

And I hate to say it but I'd choose going to a playoff game for either of those sports before going to an NFL playoff game if my team wasn't involved.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Football is interesting because it's about setup and 100% effort execution. College football is great because the crowd and the band and that there are so many games, there's bound to be a really good one any saturday during the season. The NFL is good because of the incredible athleticism. Especially apparent when you watched college the day before. NFL players are so much bigger and stronger and faster that it's like a whole new game they're playing.

Hockey and basketball and good for that athleticism and for the flow. It's constant motion, maybe less so in basketball for the stops for penalties.

Baseball otoh is about context. A game seven is a rollercoaster depending whether you're up or your down, the sense of impending victory or doom as the innings get later but the never quite knowing because one pitch could mean a three run home run. A mid-may game can be a snoozer because there doesn't seem to be the same consequence to winning or losing. Even each batter has different context. This guy is weak against lefties, this guy is a power hitter, this pitcher is getting tired, he can't locate, he's pitching down to get a ground ball double play. Every thing is different for each pitch. I think the league misses out by not having a single nationally broadcasted game with different announcing, maybe for younger people, with more emphasis on the actual game going on. As it is, you get a bunch of homer old men chatting up filling up air time for a whole season and it can get boring. Better or worse depending on your announcers. I also like baseball because there's so much of it. You see the same guys on your team almost every day over the course of the season. They have ups and downs. With twitter, they have real personalities. My wife calls baseball my soap opera.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hockey is kinda boring, hth.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

The Oakland/Las Vegas/Oklahoma City Raiders

St Louis

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

whiteyfats posted:

Hockey is kinda boring, hth.

So is baseball if it isn't the playoffs. Let's all just agree the best sport is basketball and move on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Let's all just agree the best sport is basketball and move on.

When you set yourself up for the KU jokes to this degree it's just not fun.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

this is a safe space man

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Just pretend I posted the George Carlin routine about football and baseball.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

comparing hockey and nfl is a stupid thought exercise but whatever.

comparing the golden knights and the raiders is comical because the golden knights are set up to be literally the worst team of all time barring a penguins/oilers draft pick miracle and the raiders are probably still going to be superbowl contenders by the time they roll into town

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Darth Brooks posted:

Just pretend I posted the George Carlin routine about football and baseball.

I didn't remember seeing this, so for anyone else that doesn't immediately call it to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoWsPRzzia8

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kiimo posted:

So is baseball if it isn't the playoffs. Let's all just agree the best sport was the XFL and move on.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

hifi posted:

comparing hockey and nfl is a stupid thought exercise but whatever.

comparing the golden knights and the raiders is comical because the golden knights are set up to be literally the worst team of all time barring a penguins/oilers draft pick miracle and the raiders are probably still going to be superbowl contenders by the time they roll into town

There's not going to be another 73-74 Capitals.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Baseball is a vastly inferior lazy summertime game to cricket :colbert:

Hockey is basically a more exciting version of football/soccer though.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Baseball is a vastly inferior lazy summertime game to cricket :colbert:

Hockey is basically a more exciting version of football/soccer though.

PLAYOFF hockey is infinitesimally more exciting than pretty much anything.
World Cup is close but even that pales by a country mile.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Robnoxious posted:

I think you meant to use "infinitely," unless you think playoff hockey sucks.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Robnoxious posted:

Between the Vuvuzela Symphony and the 7-1 Germany-Brazil disaster, the World Cup has been nothing but gold. :allears:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The everett hockey game last week went into 5ot iirc! Playoff hockey might be cool but why didnt it go to penalty shots?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

got any sevens posted:

The everett hockey game last week went into 5ot iirc! Playoff hockey might be cool but why didnt it go to penalty shots?

Playoff OT rules are different than regular season OT rules. No penalty shots during OT in the playoffs.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

St Louis suing the league http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...83f89948d9.html

quote:

The city, the county and the Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority are suing the National Football League over the relocation of the Rams 15 months ago.

The 52-page suit filed Wednesday in St. Louis Circuit Court lists the National Football League and all 32 NFL clubs as defendants and seeks damages and restitution of profits.

quote:

The suit claims St. Louis has lost an estimated $1.85 million to $3.5 million a year in amusement and ticket tax revenue with the departure of the Rams. It says the city also has lost about $7.5 million in property tax and $1.4 million in sales tax revenue, plus "millions" in earning taxes.

Although it doesn't provide dollar amounts for St Louis County, the suit says the county has lost out on hotel tax, property tax, and sales tax revenue because of the departure of the Rams.

League has to see the lawsuit through to the end. Settling would be real stupid because San Diego and Oakland would immediately file their own suits

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tell them they can have all that cash after they pay restitution to Los Angeles for stealing them in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was looking for Thiis article about how Oakland should seize the Raiders under eminent domain to throw into the thread and found this 35 year old article about seizing the Raiders under eminent domain laws instead.

• Locked thread