Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I miss Metroid :smith:

No, Federation Force doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

I'm playing Metroid: Zero Mission on my Wii U gamepad and it's pretty fun to play a GBA game at double size with no anti aliasing. :)

not exactly related but with the announcement of a remaster of the original starcraft coming out my brother took it upon himself to fire up the old starcraft
https://twitter.com/Mejwell/status/846507935903727617

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I like metroid nes more than zero mission :twisted:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

No, Federation Force doesn't count.

I wish they'd make another real Metroid game. 2D or Prime, I really don't care, just bring back real Metroid.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also Lufia 1 is just completely terrible anyway so it's not worth playing for any reason.

I was late to this part of the convo but this is 100% unmitigated truth

I tried SO HARD to like that drat game, if only because Lufia 2 is easily a top 5 SNES RPG

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like my Metroid games without dialogue, thanks

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PantsBandit posted:

Curious, what puts nuclear throne so high for you? I beat it once and it's a lot of fun but I wish it had some more variety since on a surface level pretty much every run is the same save for which mutations you pick (and there aren't even that many mutations)

i've been playing since well before it was possible to "beat" it, so to me it's always been about going as far as you can in loops. i really don't care about the weapon variety or mutations, and while it is nice to finally find a shovel or get trigger fingers, i would like a Pro Mode where you start in a loop with good weapons + the good mutations

nuclear throne is very hard, it's about quick risk assessment and control, good reactions, and death is usually because i messed up. i love it

e: oh also every design rules. the game is so stylish

oddium fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 29, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm glad people are finally admitting that fusion is good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Cowcaster posted:

not exactly related but with the announcement of a remaster of the original starcraft coming out my brother took it upon himself to fire up the old starcraft
https://twitter.com/Mejwell/status/846507935903727617

Starcraft for ants, etc

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

oddium posted:

I don't know man I played it in middle school and always thought it was a great game

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

Wrong, Zero Mission had both.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

People didn't used to like Fusion? That's sad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

People didn't used to like Fusion? That's sad

Some people were mad that Fusion is more linear and tells you where to go instead of just turning you loose and relying on the environmental design to constrain you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, that's basically me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

haveblue posted:

Some people were mad that Fusion is more linear and tells you where to go instead of just turning you loose and relying on the environmental design to constrain you.

The funny thing is that this now makes it somewhat unique and interesting among all the other games, and that Other M has retroactively made it better because it's just trying the same thing except being worse about it in every conceivable way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The original Nier didn't make me cry or depressed or anything but boy was it sad af

I'm kinda dreading the sadness of Automata, especially since I'm enjoying goofy rear end Andromeda right now and Horizon wasn't really super serious either

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

That game was so loving good. I never played Fusion, though.

There's quite a few Virtual Console games I'd like, but again, it seems like it'd be better to hold out and buy them on the Switch, since everything would be portable.

You're not missing much. Just play zero mission a million times like me

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

precision posted:

Horizon wasn't really super serious either

I was waiting for Horizon to have a tone shift once the reveals started but it never stopped being a YA novel which was nice

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Uh oh, I've been hearing stuff about Yooka-Laylee lately. Nothing substantial since the embargo is on, but reviewers are already warning that it's not looking too hot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

The original Nier didn't make me cry or depressed or anything but boy was it sad af

I'm kinda dreading the sadness of Automata, especially since I'm enjoying goofy rear end Andromeda right now and Horizon wasn't really super serious either

Mass Effect: Automata

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fusion is a fine game to play once every decade or so but it doesn't make me excited in the way that the series greats like ZM and SM do. Also dialogue is the last thing a Metroid game ever needs

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Rexroom posted:

Uh oh, I've been hearing stuff about Yooka-Laylee lately. Nothing substantial since the embargo is on, but reviewers are already warning that it's not looking too hot.

what you're hearing is actually me from when they first revealed it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If enough of us buy Samus amiibos maybe they'll make a new Metroid

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lets hang out posted:

You know I'm kind of with you. I've definitely replayed NES Metroid far more frequently than Zero Mission. NES Metroid's only real problem is that they really should restart you with full life/missiles when you die; it's a game that is monumentally easier if you just beat it in one sitting so you can avoid having to spend 30 minutes recharging after putting in your password.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

Can't be worse than Grunty's Revenge.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

nes metroid's problem is that it's very ugly whereas zero mission has Style for Days

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I like the idea of collecathons more than I like playing them for the most part

I won't be surprised to hear reviewers bashing it, especially after so many strong releases in recent times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

nes metroid's problem is that it's very ugly whereas zero mission has Style for Days

Also it's an idea that's bigger than the tech really allows so it kinda isn't fun to play to me. Zero Mission though is an all time fave to me. I can beat it in like 45 minutes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Let me guess: it turns out that the collectathon 3D platformers we loved as kids aren't actually something we love as adults when they don't have nostalgia to bolster them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Also it's an idea that's bigger than the tech really allows so it kinda isn't fun to play to me. Zero Mission though is an all time fave to me. I can beat it in like 45 minutes

Zero Mission just feels really good, and playing NES Metroid after it, Samus is just so sloooow and floooooaty.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rexroom posted:

Because it's a bad, 90s throwback, collectathon platformer, or because it's a 90s throwback, collectathon platformer?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

lets hang out posted:

You should play Rogue Dawn.

Jay Rust posted:

I like my Metroid games without dialogue, thanks

Yeah the endless yapping and linearity of Fusion docks some points for me. It's still a really good game, but the story could've been told almost entirely through the opening cutscene and closing cutscenes, if you nixed the stupid computer buddy angle. It's still a really good game, but I often wish I wasn't such a dummy and could learn how to rom hack so I could make a version of fusion that doesn't have so much dialogue and doesn't randomly lock areas you cleared behind you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is Persona 5 sad like Nier: Automata? I would like to play another sad game...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

rogue dawn? more like rogue yawn. bam. out. done.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

From what I can tell, it's closer to Persona 4 in mood than Persona 3, so not particularly sad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cowcaster posted:

rogue dawn? more like rogue yawn. bam. out. done.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Lame. I've never played a Persona game. I'll probably check it out eventually. I'm just in a mood for sad games right now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean if you got the bad ending in Persona 4 your young cousin dies and a serial killer gets away while a psychologically damaged innocent man is tortured and killed so maybe 5 has something similar and you can make it sad if you want?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Snak posted:

P5 is SSSSSSSSSSSSSTYLISH

http://i.imgur.com/isPEjtO.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Snak posted:

Lame. I've never played a Persona game. I'll probably check it out eventually. I'm just in a mood for sad games right now.

Have you played Night in the Woods yet.

• Locked thread