Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Right, positionally it doesn't make any loving sense especially with such dire needs at OL and I'd argue the secondary. Given the talent value and distribution of those two positions this is the ideal draft for Carolina to trade down.

Secondary isn't an issue, assuming Mike Adamlol I can't even say it.

Yeah they just need to draft one of the safeties. That would make me happiest.

They're not going to get better at CB by bringing in another rookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Worst-case, by pick 8 Garrett, Thomas, Hooker, Adams & Fournette are gone...then what the gently caress does Carolina do? I can see moving up, but 8 to 2 is a huge jump and is the exact mess Hurney got into trading future picks to continually move up for just-one-more-piece that ended up with Armanti Edwards, #33 overall.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oldskool posted:

Worst-case, by pick 8 Garrett, Thomas, Hooker, Adams & Fournette are gone...then what the gently caress does Carolina do?

OJ Howard.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Mixon is on the Chargers draft board after a predraft visit.

I'd be down

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

the more confusing bit would the Panthers would have four stud DTs (assuming they see Thomas as a DT) they've spent 3 firsts and a 2nd on.

Surely they'd have to trade either Star or KK if they pulled that off because you couldn't use them all.

Conditioning isnt an issue if you have 4 stud dts to rotate in and out constantly.

Or more likely someone floated this story because they did it in Madden and they won 8 straight super bowls so obviously Carolina should do it in rral life.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

waah posted:

Conditioning isnt an issue if you have 4 stud dts to rotate in and out constantly.

this is DT though, not WR.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
building up a great DL at the expense of other positions works out great, ask the Rams and Jets

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I think Thomas could absolutely be a great 4-3 de. The better question is, at that point why not try to trade up to number 1 and take Garrett?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

This would be great tbh. Or trading down and taking Njoku.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The 2017 NFL Draft begins on April 27. Whoever becomes forced to play for my team, I'll like them for one to three years and then admit that the bad ones are not good. Talk About a full schedule. Until then, let's keep On saying goodbye to each other ironically [because we aren't parting ways]

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Cavauro posted:

The 2017 NFL Draft begins on April 27. Whoever becomes forced to play for my team, I'll like them for one to three years and then admit that the bad ones are not good. Talk About a full schedule. Until then, let's keep On saying goodbye to each other ironically [because we aren't parting ways]

oh no, he's gone full Andey.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

No Butt Stuff posted:

oh no, he's gone full Andey.

Not quite. He hasn't lost his luggage yet.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

andey.... reid. Don't read that unless you're ready to feel like having/doing sex

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Cavauro posted:

gently caress, still so far away.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I think the Titans are poised to make a really big leap this year. Youngsters have been developing for a bit, they have decent talent at positions, and their record was artificially lowered due to injuries (just a bit but still). And Mariota is the real deal, he improved to a 95 QB Rating last year and could hit high 90's low 100's this year assuming they get some WR help. It's kind of "duh" because they have 2 first rounders but this draft is perfect to address their needs at WR and CB.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I think the Titans are poised to make a really big leap this year. Youngsters have been developing for a bit, they have decent talent at positions, and their record was artificially lowered due to injuries (just a bit but still). And Mariota is the real deal, he improved to a 95 QB Rating last year and could hit high 90's low 100's this year assuming they get some WR help. It's kind of "duh" because they have 2 first rounders but this draft is perfect to address their needs at WR and CB.

You realize if the Titans win the Superbowl we'll have to start hating you, right?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You realize if the Titans win the Superbowl we'll have to start hating you, right?

bad teams that become successful deserve only congratulations (except from divisional opponents), friend

except the cowboys

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's why I've gotten a headstart on being obnoxious now.

Titans, bitch.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

their record was artificially lowered due to injuries (just a bit but still).

This is not true

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

This is not true

They could've won that last Texans game if Mariota hadn't been injured. Probably.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

a patagonian cavy posted:

bad teams that become successful deserve only congratulations (except from divisional opponents), friend

except the cowboys

Yeah but then Seahawks fans treated it like it was God's Will and became insufferable

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

They could've won that last Texans game if Mariota hadn't been injured. Probably.

They did win that game

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah but then Seahawks fans treated it like it was God's Will and became insufferable

two super bowl trips in a row with the former being a win made it bad. but still, in that moment, I was happy to see the seahawks win though I'm not a hawks fan

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

a patagonian cavy posted:

two super bowl trips in a row with the former being a win made it bad. but still, in that moment, I was happy to see the seahawks win though I'm not a hawks fan

Yeah me too, especially because it hosed the Broncos and Peyton Manning.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
That opening safety and then D. Thomas getting rocked after a little dump pass were just electric, the rest of the game was just laughing at the lopsidedness.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

They did win that game

Lol, I completely forgot.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Gadzooks I stand corrected

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I'd draft cats over dogs because dogs are all overrated busts.

I can't believe we had cat & dog chat and no one linked the TFF required viewing on the subject.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Why would you draft cats into the NFL over dogs?

Dogs are boys and cats are girls

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

Why would you draft cats into the NFL over dogs?

Dogs are boys and cats are girls

I think you answered your own question

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bengals in on Mixon in the 2nd, according to Pauline.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/847127429793538048
https://twitter.com/TonyPauline/status/847181372598956032

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How good is Myles Garrett in relation to other super hyped pass rushers based entirely on college production and combine stats? I am looking for more than "he good" or even the vaulted "he real good".

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Bigass Moth posted:

How good is Myles Garrett in relation to other super hyped pass rushers based entirely on college production and combine stats? I am looking for more than "he good" or even the vaulted "he real good".

The Browns should take Mitchell Trubisky, and let the 49ers draft Garrett.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

Based on combine stats, he's pretty amazing: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/myles-garrett?position=EDGE

For edge defenders, he's in the 88th percentile of combine guys for 40 yard dash, 98th for vertical, 96th for broad jump and 94th for bench press. For raw athletes, his closest comparable is Justin Houston.

I can't speak to his college production, but PFF loves him: https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-myles-garrett-is-the-nations-best-defender-aggies-texas/

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PFF has fallen far enough that I think it's worth mentioning Daltos doesn't like him that much. The trust level between the sources is about the same for me, and this isn't meant to be a compliment to our resident draft guy.

I do think the Browns have got to take him unless you fall in love with a quarterback, and I personally like him a lot (I trust myself less than anyone on draft things though).

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Bigass Moth posted:

Garrett's a freak athlete who has something like 30 sacks in three years at AM. Moreover, he plays like a freak athlete, and actually has some decent pass rushing moves. The only real knock on him is motor, as he had a tendency to basically take some plays off.

regardless, he good

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

PFF has fallen far enough that I think it's worth mentioning Daltos doesn't like him that much. The trust level between the sources is about the same for me, and this isn't meant to be a compliment to our resident draft guy.

Yeah, I don't like PFF, but I'll at least give minor credence to people who will at least demonstrate a knowledge of the games a player's played and done the work to at least gif out plays to demonstrate what they're seeing. Only linked that article for the gifs really, heh.

Same reason I'll read Cian Fahey even though that dude spends most of his time trolling people.

Also, when it comes to college football, I tend to ere on the side of those eye test guys over the stats guys because the variance in level of competition is just so gigantic.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Garrett's a freak athlete who has something like 30 sacks in three years at AM. Moreover, he plays like a freak athlete, and actually has some decent pass rushing moves. The only real knock on him is motor, as he had a tendency to basically take some plays off.

regardless, he good

We gotta take him, BUT...

Like over half those sacks came against crappy teams. Also, he has a couple moves, but that is one of the things he is going to need to work on, more pass rushing moves besides a bull and speed rush, which many say won't be a problem to learn at all. From everywhere I've heard his absolute floor is a solid starter and ceiling is All Pro.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If he's as good as is said, the only way the Browns don't take him is if they get an offer for someone to move up that is too good to refuse. Do you see that happening for a DE? Browns still need help everwhere so if the deal was right I'm sure they'd consider it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Michael Corleone posted:

We gotta take him, BUT...

Like over half those sacks came against crappy teams. Also, he has a couple moves, but that is one of the things he is going to need to work on, more pass rushing moves besides a bull and speed rush, which many say won't be a problem to learn at all. From everywhere I've heard his absolute floor is a solid starter and ceiling is All Pro.

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's the next julius peppers or anything, but freak athletes with any pass rushing moves outside of speed rushes at the collegiate level are rare enough

• Locked thread