Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The MC-75 Profundity from RO was an administrative building launched into space.

Other Mon Cal ships we've seen (home one etc.) have been spaceships.

Then again, underwater buildings/submarines would make good spaceships.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/the-profundity

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That article implies it was always meant to be a starship, they disguised it as a sky(sea?)scraper to cover construction and bugged out when the Empire took over Mon Cal.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse. :psyduck:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

DancinBrud posted:

You've never heard of Pump Station 13? It's the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

"She's built like a steakhouse, but handles like a bistro!"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

drunkill posted:

The MC-75 Profundity from RO was an administrative building launched into space.

Other Mon Cal ships we've seen (home one etc.) have been spaceships.

Then again, underwater buildings/submarines would make good spaceships.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/the-profundity

Ok, so it was basically meant to be a ship all along, they just disguised its construction.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There's even a couple of Clone Wars episodes that take place on Mon Cal and you can see a bunch of their underwater buildings that basically look exactly like their cruisers in the Rebel fleet.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
As far as the whole Dantooine/Yavin thing, I have an idea.

Hera was taking the survivors to Rebel Command, on Yavin 4. My guess is that on Dantooine was a base of a singular cell. Since the cells are still separate, I could see some rebels using Dantooine still, and abandoning it soon. We have not met Red or Blue squad yet, so there is that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Apparently we've already seen Dantooine - it was the planet where Mon Mothma gave her speech, and all the different rebel cell ships met in orbit. Sounds like they had their meeting on the surface, and then immediately moved on, because it wasn't the most secret location given the open broadcast.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 29, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

IronSaber posted:

"She's built like a steakhouse, but handles like a bistro!"

Dammit I was going to say that.

"Sir we have Imperial Ships coming out of Hyperspace....It's Trump Tower!"
"Launch all Fighters!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

twistedmentat posted:

Dammit I was going to say that.

"Sir we have Imperial Ships coming out of Hyperspace....It's Trump Tower!"
"Launch all Fighters!"

"Sir, they are deploying their shields!"

"Get the EMP devices ready."

"No, sir, it's...a concrete wall!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Covok posted:

"Sir, they are deploying their shields!"

"Get the EMP devices ready."

"No, sir, it's...a concrete wall!"

I'm imagining all the faceless Imperial Officers's caps replaced by MAGA hats now

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm imagining all the faceless Imperial Officers's caps replaced by MAGA hats now

A lot of Palpatine's political maneuvering was actually just Imperial propaganda and regretful voters trying to justify things to themselves. Palpatine was actually really obvious he was evil the whole time. He had big rambling speeches about how he was a Sith and how Chancellor Valorum was allowing the Outer Rim to walk right over the Core Worlds, the opposite of the then-current political reality. While few remember his election promise was to "Make The Republic Great Again," even fewer remember his chant of "Order 66 'em" and "Build The Death Star."

The Jedi could have done more to stop him, but they felt the Republic was smarter than this and would vote correctly. Even after his electoral victory, they felt the institutions of the Republic would protect itself from his bumblings and power grabs. The Jedi's involvement in the Clone Wars was more to stem the bleeding from what was a pointless war, started by Palpatine trying to bill the Outer Rim for the protection they received from their military. Not taxes, a literal bill on paper handed to their governments. A sad attempt to cover the insane costs of the Death Star, an infrastructure project mocked by his political opponents as "never happening."

By the end of the Clone War, they finally got fed up and tried to assassinate him, but Anakin Skywalker ruined that plan. He should have been dead to rights, he was an awful fighter and easily bested, but, as he often did, he managed to fail upwards.

Frankly, by the end, even the Rebellion propagated the myth of Palpatine's competence. It would be embarrassing to admit that he was a bumbling fool and the only reason he posed a threat was due to the strong institutions the Republic had built over the years that he misused for cruel vanity projects and half-baked plans. Not to mention how much it could worry people about the failings of democratic republics, which the Rebellion sought to build. Much better have the belief only a truly cunning man could destroy them than political apathy and gross, brazen incompetence.

The Clone Wars, the Death Star's destruction, and the Rebellion's victory were not "4d Sabbac", as many Imperial sympathizers (often called "Black Hats", after the caps he sold during his campaign), claimed. They were just a lucky break and a series of failures, respectively.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 29, 2017

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I wonder if we'll have an episode concurrent with Rogue One from the Ghost crew's point of view or if the show will end before then.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Filoni has hinted pretty heavily that it could happen.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

OhFunny posted:

I wonder if we'll have an episode concurrent with Rogue One from the Ghost crew's point of view or if the show will end before then.

Gonna be real sad to see the look on Hera's face right before the Ghost gets smeared across the bridge window of the Deveststor :smith:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Bad Moon posted:

Gonna be real sad to see the look on Hera's face right before the Ghost gets smeared across the bridge window of the Deveststor :smith:

Naw they made it out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DancinBrud posted:

Filoni has hinted pretty heavily that it could happen.

They should do it with cut-in footage from the actual movie for the external shots.

It worked for Red and Gold Leader, after all. :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They should do it with cut-in footage from the actual movie for the external shots.

It worked for Red and Gold Leader, after all. :v:

They're sure to have saved all the animation files [1]. They can just re-render with the appropriate changes in shaders or whatever.

[1] This isn't WB and Babylon 5.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I have the ending theme from Trials of the Darksaber stuck in my head.

Not that it's a real complaint. It's such a good theme.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Finished season 1. Show rocks

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Finished season 1. Show rocks

Did you watch Clone Wars? If not, it might be worth checking out before you jump into season two.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Covok posted:

A lot of Palpatine's political maneuvering was actually just Imperial propaganda and regretful voters trying to justify things to themselves. Palpatine was actually really obvious he was evil the whole time. He had big rambling speeches about how he was a Sith and how Chancellor Valorum was allowing the Outer Rim to walk right over the Core Worlds, the opposite of the then-current political reality. While few remember his election promise was to "Make The Republic Great Again," even fewer remember his chant of "Order 66 'em" and "Build The Death Star."

The Jedi could have done more to stop him, but they felt the Republic was smarter than this and would vote correctly. Even after his electoral victory, they felt the institutions of the Republic would protect itself from his bumblings and power grabs. The Jedi's involvement in the Clone Wars was more to stem the bleeding from what was a pointless war, started by Palpatine trying to bill the Outer Rim for the protection they received from their military. Not taxes, a literal bill on paper handed to their governments. A sad attempt to cover the insane costs of the Death Star, an infrastructure project mocked by his political opponents as "never happening."

By the end of the Clone War, they finally got fed up and tried to assassinate him, but Anakin Skywalker ruined that plan. He should have been dead to rights, he was an awful fighter and easily bested, but, as he often did, he managed to fail upwards.

Frankly, by the end, even the Rebellion propagated the myth of Palpatine's competence. It would be embarrassing to admit that he was a bumbling fool and the only reason he posed a threat was due to the strong institutions the Republic had built over the years that he misused for cruel vanity projects and half-baked plans. Not to mention how much it could worry people about the failings of democratic republics, which the Rebellion sought to build. Much better have the belief only a truly cunning man could destroy them than political apathy and gross, brazen incompetence.

The Clone Wars, the Death Star's destruction, and the Rebellion's victory were not "4d Sabbac", as many Imperial sympathizers (often called "Black Hats", after the caps he sold during his campaign), claimed. They were just a lucky break and a series of failures, respectively.

The Jedi took Palpatine literally but not seriously, while the clones took him seriously but not literally.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DancinBrud posted:

Did you watch Clone Wars? If not, it might be worth checking out before you jump into season two.

I did, it made the show all the sweeter. What happened to Asajj?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

RC Cola posted:

I did, it made the show all the sweeter. What happened to Asajj?

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Disciple-Star-Christie-Golden/dp/1101884959

She gets hired by the Jedi to assassinate Dooku, falls in love with Quinlan Vos, and dies.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dave Syndrome posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Disciple-Star-Christie-Golden/dp/1101884959

She gets hired by the Jedi to assassinate Dooku, falls in love with Quinlan Vos, and dies.

When I talk about why we need to avoid the limiting concept of canon and how books in general are a poo poo medium for Star Wars, this would make a fine exhibit in my presentation.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Except it's a really good book based on unused clone wars episode concepts and you're a troll with bad opinions.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TheBigBad posted:

Except it's a really good book based on unused clone wars episode concepts and you're a troll with bad opinions.

It sounds loving awful.

There is a reason why some things end up on the cutting room floor.

Making an episode of Clone Wars was incredibly expensive. Not all of them were good but most were decent. I'm sure a lot of bad ideas were left as "potential maybes" and "I like that idea, let's work on it a little".

Books don't involve that.

If not liking lovely fanfiction makes me a "troll with bad opinions" I'll take it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

They weren't on the cutting room floor, nor were they fan fiction, they were the stories for the final season of Clone Wars that was canceled by Disney after the takeover so that they could make Rebels instead.

For someone who bitches incessantly about this, you sure seem to know gently caress all about it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
As narratively good as it might be I'm really disappointed if a character as cool as Ventress falls for a rando she had no history with and just dies

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

It sounds loving awful.

Making an episode of Clone Wars was incredibly expensive. Not all of them were good but most were decent. I'm sure a lot of bad ideas were left as "potential maybes" and "I like that idea, let's work on it a little".

Books don't involve that.

If not liking lovely fanfiction makes me a "troll with bad opinions" I'll take it.

It's literally an adaptation f an episode at was going to be in Season 6, guarnteed.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Nina posted:

As narratively good as it might be I'm really disappointed if a character as cool as Ventress falls for a rando she had no history with and just dies

This is how I feel about it. Even if Quinlan Vos was one of my favorite comics characters, the progression of that story just doesn't make much sense for Asajj's character. The passion involved, sure. Not so much the end result.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

They weren't on the cutting room floor, nor were they fan fiction, they were the stories for the final season of Clone Wars that was canceled by Disney after the takeover so that they could make Rebels instead.

For someone who bitches incessantly about this, you sure seem to know gently caress all about it.

It didn't get made, so it's just an idea from some dude. That's what fanfiction is.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye was originally conceived as a sequel to Star Wars where the Force is a crystal and Luke bangs Leia. We can all be glad that Splinter never got made in the same way we can all be glad that this steaming pile of poo poo never got made.

Sometimes you have to save a thing from itself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

It didn't get made, so it's just an idea from some dude. That's what fanfiction is.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye was originally conceived as a sequel to Star Wars where the Force is a crystal and Luke bangs Leia. We can all be glad that Splinter never got made in the same way we can all be glad that this steaming pile of poo poo never got made.

Sometimes you have to save a thing from itself.

It didn't get made because the show was canceled. It was literally in pre-production and was planned to go into production and air. This isn't the cutting room floor, this is the show got canceled. All of it is still considered canon by the writing staff, along with all the stuff they had planned before cancellation, and everything is being written with this in mind. Had they gotten into production, it would have been one of the unfinished episodes that got released later on.

You know, I normally try to avoid being that kind of fan, but do you just watch Star Wars as an excuse to get mad it doesn't meet some imagined perfection or otherwise meet your very narrow view of what it should be? I mean, it seems like it'd make an alright 3-parter, nothing emmy award winning, but, in general, you seem to just come here to bitch and feel superior.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 31, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I have Shbobobohbbhbh on ignore since all his opinions are terrible anyways.

So! Favorite ship from Rebels so far? While I love the TIE Defender, I am also partial to that prototype B-Wing from S2.

Covok
May 27, 2013

IronSaber posted:

So! Favorite ship from Rebels so far? While I love the TIE Defender, I am also partial to that prototype B-Wing from S2.

Favorite ship? That is a toughie. Wish the Hammerhead premiered there and not Rogue One because that ship is balla' as hell.

Yes, I know it was in KOTOR, but I mean canon-wise.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Who gives a gently caress about canon? I've explain why I dislike that concept in fiction. It's stifling and bad.

I actually really enjoy Star Wars and rarely get mad at it. You just happen to latch onto my complaints because some things are bad. You can like a thing while still thinking parts of thing-you-like are dumb as gently caress. The most recent season of Rebels just heavily enriched for "things I think are dumb as gently caress". Ventriss getting saved by the power of love like a shrinking violet is also dumb as gently caress and I'm glad it was left on the cutting room floor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shbobdb posted:

Who gives a gently caress about canon? I've explain why I dislike that concept in fiction. It's stifling and bad.

I actually really enjoy Star Wars and rarely get mad at it. You just happen to latch onto my complaints because some things are bad. You can like a thing while still thinking parts of thing-you-like are dumb as gently caress. The most recent season of Rebels just heavily enriched for "things I think are dumb as gently caress". Ventriss getting saved by the power of love like a shrinking violet is also dumb as gently caress and I'm glad it was left on the cutting room floor.

Yeah your opinions are bad.

Like from the sound of it you dislike the very fact that that this involves stuff from the canon. And are against established characters doing anything in this show. Cause thats what I get from you.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm quite partial to the Mandalorian Fang Fighters used by the protectors

Covok posted:

Favorite ship? That is a toughie. Wish the Hammerhead premiered there and not Rogue One because that ship is balla' as hell.

Yes, I know it was in KOTOR, but I mean canon-wise.

The Hammerhead premiered on Rebels in season 2, January '16, not Rogue One, so you're fine to pick it. The Hammerheads appearing in Rogue One was one of the exciting connections to Rebels, because they were first spotted in that trailer that came out only a few months after we'd seen them in Rebels.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 31, 2017

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

IronSaber posted:

The TIE Interceptor escorts for the TIE Defender.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah your opinions are bad.

He professes an opinion about a book he hasn't read.

Before he says I heard the summary and blah blah... I'd bet you the total GDP during the entire Trump Presidency he would have said the same thing about George's pitches for the original Star Wars but somehow that's different than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TheBigBad posted:

He professes an opinion about a book he hasn't read.

Before he says I heard the summary and blah blah... I'd bet you the total GDP during the entire Trump Presidency he would have said the same thing about George's pitches for the original Star Wars but somehow that's different than this.

The rough draft of Star Wars was also very bad and needed multiple layers of revision at the script level.

This isn't a controversial opinion. Every interview that talks about Star Wars dwells on this.

More controversially but also generally regarded as true is that Lucas needed help with editing in post as well.

Controversial only on SA is that Lucas, given free reign in the Prequels, demonstrates why the script needed so much outside revision and why Star Wars needed so much editing in post to make it breath.

• Locked thread