Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bozo and Ronald McDonakd are still beloved though if you're under 30 you probably don't even know who Bozo is, though you likely know his parody Krusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I think Pennywise from the TV series was pretty heavily based on Bozo anyway, except for the red mouth paint.

Bozo relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXtHU_HGXs

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I actually live near an internationally acclaimed mime college (masters in 'physical theater') & have seen people ride up to gas stations on unicycles so im stayin out of this one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I actually live near an internationally acclaimed mime college (masters in 'physical theater') & have seen people ride up to gas stations on unicycles so im stayin out of this one.

I know it's probably just to get beer or whatever, but please tell me there are motorized unicycles.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I know it's probably just to get beer or whatever, but please tell me there are motorized unicycles.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

feedmyleg posted:

Clowns are essentially a non-thing in 2017. I'm sure they're still goofing around at the circus, but the circus is essentially a non-thing in 2017. Modern audiences are going to be creeped out by clowns, regardless of when the story is set. Yes, that's partially thanks to the original It book and miniseries, but probably moreso thanks to John Wayne Gacy and, well, how inherently weird and offputting the whole cartoonish 1900s hobo makeup and exaggerated slapstick act is. Like, what's a friendly-seeming clown even look like? Because I think if you showed a picture of one to anyone these days they'd still find it weird and creepy.

If people are going to be creeped out by a clown no matter what, why not just push that and let it be as creepy as they can?

Also don't forget last year where they kept having new stories about creepy clown sightings everywhere. I doubt Pennywise needs to look 'friendly' at first.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Does the adaption with Tim Curry have that bit in the book where the kids have a weird sex ritual in the sewer, or is that something it made the very good decision to leave out?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Like, what's a friendly-seeming clown even look like?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/274350/

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Red Bones, that's not in the adaptation.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Does the adaption with Tim Curry have that bit in the book where the kids have a weird sex ritual in the sewer, or is that something it made the very good decision to leave out?

i'm just gonna assume you wanted an excuse to bring up that weird as gently caress scene because that's more understandable than you genuinely asking this question

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, fair. Dropsy is just adorable.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
do you think that pennwise gets embarrassed when that scene is in the movie sorry if this ofend.

Just asking for laughs ha ha

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

They'd be pound foolish to leave out such an important scene that would get everyone involved arrested and generate free publicity

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm just gonna assume you wanted an excuse to bring up that weird as gently caress scene because that's more understandable than you genuinely asking this question

Anytime "It" gets mentioned, whether it's the novel, TV miniseries, or this new film, there's always one who brings it up as if they're the only person to ever mention it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The part about the kid who locks live animals in a fridge in the forest is always the creepiest part I think of, mostly because of how the "grooming" is described where he feeds the dog for months or whatever to lure it in. It was the kid who is MISSING in that trailer, IIRC.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I haven't actually seen the tv series, but you're right, it was a really stupid question. Sorry for bringing it up.

For a less stupid question: is the tv series a fairly standard horror for the time? Because it's obviously this 'cult classic' thing but like, the new adaption just looks like a regular jumpscare -heavy horror movie from anytime in the last decade, especially the shot at the end where Pennywise just jerkily walks towards the kid with a spooky face.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

outlier posted:

I'm not sure you can blame that at Portman and her films, any more than you than you can for any other actress. Casting is a weird, mercurial thing that seems to happen almost independently of performances and box office. c.v. Angelina Jolie who was an A grade star while arguably never having been in a single good film.

Well, going down that rabbit-hole, actresses have a harder time getting good work at good pay than actors, for a variety of reasons that boil down to systemic sexism. Remember No Strings Attached? Ashton Kutcher? The guy who struggles to get movies into theaters and is a much stronger argument for "has never been in anything good ever?" He got more money than Natalie Portman for that.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/11/natalie-portman-ashton-kutcher-no-strings-attached-gender-pay-gap

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Red Bones posted:

I haven't actually seen the tv series, but you're right, it was a really stupid question. Sorry for bringing it up.

For a less stupid question: is the tv series a fairly standard horror for the time? Because it's obviously this 'cult classic' thing but like, the new adaption just looks like a regular jumpscare -heavy horror movie from anytime in the last decade, especially the shot at the end where Pennywise just jerkily walks towards the kid with a spooky face.

Its fairly standard but not because it's formulaic but because it's success kind of made the formula. The original It is the reason ABC had almost yearly Stephen King mini-series all through the 90s. On top of that Tim Curry's performance elevated the whole movie.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Apparently 25 minutes of the new transformers movie was screened and it revealed who the The Last Knight is it's Marky Mark, apparently back in King Arthur times there were 12 transformers that fought alongside the 12 knights of the round table to defend the peace between humans and transformers. Wahlburg is the new chosen one to reform King Arthur's court and sue for peace.

I want this to be true because it's too insane not to be.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Its fairly standard but not because it's formulaic but because it's success kind of made the formula. The original It is the reason ABC had almost yearly Stephen King mini-series all through the 90s. On top of that Tim Curry's performance elevated the whole movie.
There choices for what to adapt were pretty bizarre. Tommyknockers? The book King would tell you is terrible and not to read because it was the last thing he wrote before sobering up. The only other miniseries people seem to hold in any regard are Storm of the Century and Rose Red which were always screenplays.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Apparently 25 minutes of the new transformers movie was screened and it revealed who the The Last Knight is it's Marky Mark, apparently back in King Arthur times there were 12 transformers that fought alongside the 12 knights of the round table to defend the peace between humans and transformers. Wahlburg is the new chosen one to reform King Arthur's court and sue for peace.
Ahahahaha what in the gently caress?

I'm still not seeing this in theaters but now I may rent it to see how that plays out instead of my original plan of never seeing it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At least Transformers owns it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If that's the story I expect that Optimus Prime's illegitimate son will be the one to kill him the in the movie's final battle.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I'm not gonna crush this dream

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I'm still not sure how the Hitler stuff fits in unless Prime teams up with Hitler and the heroes have to kill them both.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Red Bones posted:

This is the first scene in the mini-series. I think it's a good balance of regular clown acting creepy versus straight up creepy clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPdDdC4go6c

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"We all vote down here. And you will, too!"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlFStp460BM

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sure. Why not.

Okay.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MY NAME in a big time Hollywood film's credits?!
Things are lookin' up for Weedlord Bonerhitler.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You know, for some reason I never put together that all of King's miniseries were on ABC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know, enabling is wrong and I refuse to be part of this unless my name is at least first five thank you credits.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SimonCat posted:

This is the first scene in the mini-series. I think it's a good balance of regular clown acting creepy versus straight up creepy clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPdDdC4go6c

Man, whoever is Pennywise on this new version has some really big shoes to fill.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

21 Muns posted:

Sweeney Todd suuuuuuucks, it was a terrible adaptation, the leads can't sing, if it didn't exist I wouldn't hate Tim Burton nearly so personally.

OTOH, Mars Attacks exists, so everything balances out
To be fair, Sweeney Todd is probably one of Sondheim's hardest works that requires the very strongest sort of singers to really make soar. When I saw that Johnny Depp was going to play the lead I had hoped that maybe that was the price being paid for getting the money to adapt the thing in the first place. And then I found out that Helena Bonham Carter was going to be Mrs. Lovett and I abandoned all hope. They sliced the show to pieces and may as well have ground it up into a meat pie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Man, whoever is Pennywise on this new version has some really big shoes to fill.

No they're gag oversized shoes, they don't actually fill them

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I never saw or read IT and of course kind of knew about Pennywise the clown in the sewer for some reason (alien? inter-dimensional being or something like that?) anyhoo that trailer is kind of terrifying.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

That doesnt answer my question if there is a knight who rides on a horse that is a transformer which is frankly all I want to know.

There have only ever been two horse Transformers. One of them did not turn out too good.

Hat Thoughts posted:

The whole clown scare last year must seem so blah to your townsfolk.

Is there also a cool and classy assassin school nearby too?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ahahahaha what in the gently caress?

I'm still not seeing this in theaters but now I may rent it to see how that plays out instead of my original plan of never seeing it.

Anthony Hopkins is also in this, and he has a robot butler who rips off the head of bigger Transformers and then takes over its body by transforming into a new head.

Don't forget that the Transformers 5 footage they showed includes the appearance of Merlin.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

parallelodad posted:

She stole Brad Pitt from Jennifer Aniston and then broke his heart. She is a monster.

Yeah but Aniston's career wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today without that (just look at where the rest of the Friends are)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cacator posted:

Yeah but Aniston's career wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today without that (just look at where the rest of the Friends are)

None of the Friends cast has any need to ever work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Matthew Perry and Lisa Kudrow are apparently doing pretty good with their respective TV shows. I think Episodes is ending, though.

• Locked thread